Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny classical music recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Probably mentioned this before but I love R Vaughan Williams piece Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas TALLIS.

In my top 3 classicals EVER.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:35
I remember watching this at my granddad's when I was a small boy, and no it wasn't liveTongue
Carl Nielsen's third conducted by Leonard Bernstein:

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 22 2015 at 14:35
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 20:25
I've been recently intrigued by the controversial history of the very same theme melody that Chopin used for two of his famous Variations, both stunning for their such an emotive effect and great impact:

Chopin - Variations on A Major, "Souvenir de Paganini"

Chopin - Variations, Introduction and Theme in D Major on a Theme of T. Moore (In 4 Hands), Op. Posth.
None of these works were intended for publication by Frederic Chopin, and in fact didn't come to light until after his death, as he considered them too poor for publication. But unfortunately the history of the theme used by him on both Variations remains incomplete, as its composer is unknown up to date:

Chopin's "Souvenir de Paganini" are variations on an Italian tune made popular throughout Europe by Paganini with the name Le carnaval de Venise. The great Italian violinist gave concerts in Warsaw in 1829, hence the assumption that these ‘variants’ date from that time.

On the other hand, even more unusual is the history of Chopin's Variations (for 4 hands) on a theme of Moore. Chopin found the theme so pleasing that he wished to measure up to the master that the German composer Ferdinand Ries was considered to be. Ries, by his turn, had found this melody (which had interested him too) in a songbook by the Irish poet Thomas Moore, published at the beginning of the century in London. That was a collection of melodies from various nations, which Moore put English words to. The melody in question appears there as a Venetian air, yet further research has led not to Venice, but to Naples. The song still functions today, as La Ricciolella – a traditional napolitan folk song about a charming lass with wonderful curly locks, which was notated, arranged and published by Guillaume Louis Cottrau.

I reckon that neither Nicolò Paganini knew who composed that song, given that apparently it was not from Venice, who knows anyway? If someone already knows further facts, please post them here and I will be very greatful!

Edited by Rick Robson - March 17 2015 at 20:42

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 15:25
Not so dark, but such a perfect consolation when I'm feeling that everything is like the sunday sunset arriving...

Mozart - Divertimento B Flat Major KV287 - Adagio

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 15:49
Have you heard the Requiem by Ligeti (used to great effect in the film 2001)?  It is very dark and brooding.  Take a listen to the clip below (but not on your own in the dark!!!)

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - April 28 2015 at 15:50
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 09:32
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Have you heard the Requiem by Ligeti (used to great effect in the film 2001)?  It is very dark and brooding.  Take a listen to the clip below (but not on your own in the dark!!!)

I recall that from the film...always wondered where it was from.  Thanks.

Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 13:01
This was EPIC

Edited by Padraic - April 30 2015 at 13:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 12:27
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Yeah interesting indeed KC776! But I would have included some groundbreaking Tchaikovsky's masterpieces too, didn't see anything of him in those first 50 listed of your selection. I might include Rossini's Overtures as well, these are favourites of mine, along with Beethoven's of course - especial mention to the following fantastic overtures: Coriolan Op.62, King Stephen Overture Op.117, Overture In C Op.115 and Fidelio Overture Op.72c. These just take my breath away on such a perfect delight! Btw nothing better than this music to end my day, well tbh so far I didn't find other kind of music which might give me such an amazing and fullfilling listening experience.

Holy Mother!... Firstly, I just couldn't dig as much into the deeply intimate atmosphere of Beethoven's Leonore Overture (especially No.1 Op.138)... but then today.. WOW!.... just a total extasis! No words can desbribe such an intense jorney into the sheer magnificence of Beethoven's... So much glourious art in such a majestic music! ClapClapClap

Edited by Rick Robson - May 10 2015 at 12:39

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 19:08
I'd like to point out the sublimely unique atmosphere of the Beethoven's Piano Sonata No.30 in E major, Op.109 third movement (andante molto cantabile ed espressivo), so damn amazed by this movement from such a groundbreaking and original work, full of character – God what a wonderful piece to listen to is this sonata! Personally I sense that this movement hits the most bottom emotionally, a no-brainer indeed.

Yes, I'm actually feeling that I am comencing an incredible and life-changing journey with his 32 Piano Sonatas, which for sure span most of the composer’s creative life. And this movement feels to me a very especial darker tone like no other from the early Sonatas that I happened to know so far, which I found often having a wonderful and essential sense of enthusiasm and joy. But the late ones (I only know the 29, 30 and 31 so far) literally transcend this sense imo, the third movement of the Piano Sonata No.29 ‘Hammerklavier’ (adagio sostenuto) is another incredible experience.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 19:13
Debussy, Mussorgsky, and Holst.  If I were to limit my classical collection to three decomposing composers it would be them.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 09:04
At the moment I don't listen to classical music that much because I listen to so much prog and post rock. But I enjoy many styles of classical music from the renaissance vocal polyphony to Hindemith, Britten and Orff.

One particular field of interest for me is the British music from the late 19th and early 20th century with composers like Elgar, Vaughan Williams and Bax. To anybody who don't know these composers, I can recommend Elgar's Enigma Variations, Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending and Bax's Tintagel. I imagine that these composers did not only rely on the late romanticism but also reflect their relationship to nature and domestic landscapes in their music. Well, some of their works are even named by places and events in nature, but I think these impressions are also reflected in their other works. By the way I think Tony Banks's orchestral music (which I enjoy very much) is also based on that tradition.

Other composers I like very much are Wagner, Puccini, Brahms, Bruckner, Schubert, Beethoven and Bach.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 08 2015 at 09:09
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 20:28
old thread but lately I've been really getting into Saint-Saens, Holst, Debussy, and Wagner

Is there a more general classical discussion topic around here somewhere?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 12:16
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

old thread but lately I've been really getting into Saint-Saens, Holst, Debussy, and Wagner

Is there a more general classical discussion topic around here somewhere?

Here, I guess, although probably not much wrong with having conversations in this thread.

Classical makes up about 99% of my current listening.  Heavy on Mahler and Bruckner.  Love Wagner but I haven't made it through a full opera yet.  Embarrassed

Edited by Padraic - August 20 2015 at 12:16
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 14:47
I'm a fan of Wagner

Pilgrim's Chorus from Tanhauser always gives me goosebumps

And of couse Carl Orff's Carmina Burana

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi...Not a fan of Riu, but thgis is a great job

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2015 at 16:15
This is pushing the envelope a bit but awww Cry so beautiful makes me cry really Heart so beautiful this is Jeff Beck playing the most beautiful bleeding leading notes of Nessun Dorma also well known due to being Luciano Pavorotti's best Operatic performance song.  Have a listen and you too I believe will feel what I feel too. Hug
Crossroads Guitar 2010 - Jeff Beck - Nessun Dorma
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:51
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Classical makes up about 99% of my current listening.  Heavy on Mahler and Bruckner.  Love Wagner but I haven't made it through a full opera yet.  Embarrassed

I haven't checked out Bruckner yet, probably should
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:55
Zoltan Kodaly and his Hary Janos Suite . 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 16:06
Originally posted by JupiterIsland JupiterIsland wrote:

I'm particularly looking for a dark, melancholic, interesting, piano driven music
Ummm I don't have much classical music knowledge, but isn't Rachmaninov dark, melancholic, piano-driven music?

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2015 at 12:09
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2015 at 03:10
I am currently listening to classical music far more than prog. I am working my way through Shostakovich's complete symphony cycle (conducted by Bernard Haitink). At present I am listening to the 6th symphony. On first listen Shostakovich can seem a little difficult, but at the heart of his music there is a profound melancholy beauty that is always engaging and rewarding. I have also just bought the complete string quartets by Beethoven (Gewandhaus quartet - box set). So far I have only listened to the first string quartet which is very beautiful. These string quartets are considered by many critics to be a high water mark in musical achievement, where Beethoven first masters the form (established in the 18th century) and then extends its possibilities through his brilliant innovation. The later quartets push beyond the boundaries of 19th century Romanticism and Beethoven's tonal and harmonic experimentation almost anticipate the more avant garde musical language of the 20th century. I look forward to getting to know these works.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234