Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Rush 'Synth Period' Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 09:30
It's certainly gratifying to see all the love for these albums. I think the band reached their peak around Power Windows and while I love Hold Your Fire, I will freely admit that it's the weakest link of this period. I think the worst song on that album is Second Nature. I almost always skip that one whereas I'll play Signals through Power Windows all the way through.

Zombi mentioned that Moving Pictures was actually the start of their 'synth period' and while I wouldn't disagree in some respects to his points, I think it can't be counted as a synth album for the simple fact that on many of the songs the keyboards were just an added layer and not an integral part of the music. I'm thinking mainly of Red Barchetta, Limelight, and YYZ. A lot of Moving Pictures is guitar-dominated with just that extra layer of keyboards whereas on Signals the keyboards were fully integrated into the sound of the band.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 20 2014 at 09:41
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 09:37
I love Signals, but found Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows to be disappointing, though I'm willing to give them another shot (and by PW on CD to do it; I only have it on cassette).
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I love Signals, but found Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows to be disappointing, though I'm willing to give them another shot (and by PW on CD to do it; I only have it on cassette).

You don't have Power Windows on CD? Hmmm...get the 1997 remaster. Bob Ludwig did a fantastic job with the remaster. Anyway, how long has it been since you heard Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:37
I thought the "synth" period was their most creative. I don't exactly agree with the two albums suggested to bookend this time, but that's being negative. I really liked guest star Ben Mink's (FM) violin solo on Signal's Losing It. I prefer the subsequent album's (Grace Under Pressure) synth content more though.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:45
I know people talk about Vital Signs from Moving Pictures as a song that doesn't quite fit. I see it as a transition. It seems to foreshadow the style we would later see on Signals and the next few records. Also, the lyrics talking about "elevating" and "deviating" from the norm are just another clue. The idea of not continuing to release the same kind of music, but continuing to experiment and dabble in other styles. I haven't a clue if they did this on purpose, but Rush is perfectly capable of accomplishing something like.

My favorites would be listed in such order: Power Windows, Signals, Grace under Pressure, Hold Your Fire

Power Windows - This is easily my favorite record from this era, and one of my favorite Rush records overall. I think they hit the perfect combination of styles from their respective instruments and meshed them brilliantly. Geddy's bass gallops all over the frickin' place, and is just beautiful to hear. The Big Money is one of their most high energy songs from front to back, and while the pace isn't always matched throughout the album, the beauty and energy come through in different forms. Neal's lyrics are as witty as ever, and Geddy sings them in prime form. Marathon hits me a little on an emotional level being a long distance runner myself. The rhythms and power Neal offers on Territories and Mystic Rhythms are some of his best. It just seems like every single instrument plays lead on this album, but rather than being messy, it's graceful and powerful. Tbh, I don't pay much attention to Alex's solos on this album, because I get lost in everything else. My favorite song from this one would be Territories.

Signals - This was the first Rush album I fell in love with. It dropped off my radar for a little while, but has recently resurfaced. Subdivisions resonates with me, being one of those kids that grew up in the suburbs. The synth opener and the guitar on top of it make it seem a bit dark, which it certainly is, but the album does lighten for a little bit. The Analog Kid has some of my favorite guitar work from Alex, both in riffs he jams in around the verses, and that great solo he plays later on. And then there's The Weapon. Easily my favorite on this album, Neal's drums and Geddy's synths carry a really exciting rhythm throughout the song, and again, Neal sounds so powerful and wonderful. Alex shines through on guitar yet again. Some other songs I enjoy are New World Man (there highest ranking on the billboard I believe) and Losing It, especially the lyrics.

Grace under Pressure - Another dark album from the Canadian trio in terms of subject matter, I used to call it my favorite. I still quite like it, but just find it a tad less exciting than the other two. With some spectacular moments, such as Afterimage and Between the Wheels it doesn't fail to be great. But there are also some less inspiring moments like Red Lenses. I wouldn't call it weak, but I don't believe there is a weak song in this era. Every album in this period seems to have one song that is different, and this is the one on this album. I do know that Kid Gloves tends to turn off some people, but I find it catchy and fun. Between the Wheels is fantastic though. Alex sounds so powerful on guitar, and sets the tone right off the bat. This I enjoy very much.

Hold Your Fire - This album has a certain beauty that the rest of them lack. The pace slowed down quite a bit, and Alex's guitar seems to take a back seat to Geddy's keys and vocals. This is particularly evident on Second Nature. Even Neal sounds a bit subdued on this album. It's not to say they don't have their moments, but it's a drastic change from Power Windows, but that's to be expected from Rush. Still this is one of their most beautiful albums (behind Presto, I believe), and for this reason, I need the right situation to listen to it. The other three from this era I can put on and enjoy more easily. I don't have one particular favorite from this album, but ones I enjoy the most are Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and High Water.

Lol, I think I got carried away a bit writing about these albums. Maybe I should write some actual reviews. LOL
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:46
When it comes to this period, there is one album in particular that i need to praise - Hold Your Fire. 

I put this album among their best albums, and find it vastly underrated. Of course it's not some revolutionary progressive record but it has something that many Rush records lack in certain places, warmth. Rush is one of my favorite bands, and by far the most influential band to my listening, but something some of their records lack is this warmth.

Hold Your Fire is filled with this sense of intimacy or connection. Geddy's voice sounds perfect, his melodies along with some of Neil's best lyrics is probably the big reason why, but also the guitars' tones. The musicianship is still top notch, and will soon decline unfortunately. 

Love this album - not sure what else to say. 

Favorite songs: Mission, Force Ten, Turn the Page, Prime Mover.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
planetwhale71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 11:55
I personally enjoyed the era of Rush between All The World's a Stage (ya, it's a performance of their mostly early work, but it has such a live "punch" to it) and Moving Pictures. As a 'guitar' guy, I thought that the saturation of synthesizer in Rush albums was indicative the synthetic times of the 1980's. But hey (!), those releases are still pretty damn exceptional and as I grew older, I became more fond of Rush's '80s and '90s material. Oh, and Countdown from Signals is absolutely ClapClapClap!
There are some days when I think I'm going to die of satisfaction-Salvadore Dali
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 12:02
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

When it comes to this period, there is one album in particular that i need to praise - Hold Your Fire. 

I put this album among their best albums, and find it vastly underrated. Of course it's not some revolutionary progressive record but it has something that many Rush records lack in certain places, warmth. Rush is one of my favorite bands, and by far the most influential band to my listening, but something some of their records lack is this warmth.

Hold Your Fire is filled with this sense of intimacy or connection. Geddy's voice sounds perfect, his melodies along with some of Neil's best lyrics is probably the big reason why, but also the guitars' tones. The musicianship is still top notch, and will soon decline unfortunately. 

Love this album - not sure what else to say. 

Favorite songs: Mission, Force Ten, Turn the Page, Prime Mover.
Well said, I agree fully.  It took a few years to sink in, but now I place it among my favorites too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
steve j View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 12:06
Signals to me was a massive shock to the system.  It didn't work for me back then, and I shunned it for a while.  After some time I learnt to love it.  I love the fear trilogy from three separate albums - Witch-hunt - The Weapon - The Enemy Within;  from Moving Pictures, Signals and GUP respectively.  My favourite album is Hold your Fire - the 4 central tracks after the two commercial tracks are just fantastic both lyrically and musically, I am really surprised that more people don't like it, but its Rush.  Its a great period, and I would put Presto in this period, some wonderful tracks on there too.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 13:12
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Zombi mentioned that Moving Pictures was actually the start of their 'synth period' and while I wouldn't disagree in some respects to his points, I think it can't be counted as a synth album for the simple fact that on many of the songs the keyboards were just an added layer and not an integral part of the music. I'm thinking mainly of Red Barchetta, Limelight, and YYZ. A lot of Moving Pictures is guitar-dominated with just that extra layer of keyboards whereas on Signals the keyboards were fully integrated into the sound of the band.

It's easier to count Signals through HYF because of the "four studio-one live" formula Rush followed all the way up through T4E. When you hear the synths open up "The Camera Eye" and the sequencer literally propels "Vital Signs," while Geddy's keyboard riff is the single most identifiable, hummable aspect of "Tom Sawyer" (along with the lyrics), it's clearly the beginning of Rush embracing keyboards. These songs sound alien (in a good way) compared to anything on Permanent Waves. It's just nitpicking, though.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:25
Glad to see the love for Power Windows.  I've long considered it Rush's most underrated album.  Tracks 1 thru 5 are excellent.  "Middletown Dreams" and "Mystic Rhythms" aren't my favorites but they can hold their own.  Only "Emotion Detector" is sub-par.

For some reason I haven't been able to get into Signals as much.  There's great songs on it but somehow as a whole it lacks a certain something.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 18:03

You don't have Power Windows on CD? Hmmm...get the 1997 remaster. Bob Ludwig did a fantastic job with the remaster. Anyway, how long has it been since you heard Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows?

A couple of months ago. I got Grace from my local CD shop and Windows from my local Goodwill.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 20:27
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

A couple of months ago. I got Grace from my local CD shop and Windows from my local Goodwill.

Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 20:30
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I know people talk about Vital Signs from Moving Pictures as a song that doesn't quite fit. I see it as a transition. It seems to foreshadow the style we would later see on Signals and the next few records. Also, the lyrics talking about "elevating" and "deviating" from the norm are just another clue. The idea of not continuing to release the same kind of music, but continuing to experiment and dabble in other styles. I haven't a clue if they did this on purpose, but Rush is perfectly capable of accomplishing something like.

My favorites would be listed in such order: Power Windows, Signals, Grace under Pressure, Hold Your Fire

Power Windows - This is easily my favorite record from this era, and one of my favorite Rush records overall. I think they hit the perfect combination of styles from their respective instruments and meshed them brilliantly. Geddy's bass gallops all over the frickin' place, and is just beautiful to hear. The Big Money is one of their most high energy songs from front to back, and while the pace isn't always matched throughout the album, the beauty and energy come through in different forms. Neal's lyrics are as witty as ever, and Geddy sings them in prime form. Marathon hits me a little on an emotional level being a long distance runner myself. The rhythms and power Neal offers on Territories and Mystic Rhythms are some of his best. It just seems like every single instrument plays lead on this album, but rather than being messy, it's graceful and powerful. Tbh, I don't pay much attention to Alex's solos on this album, because I get lost in everything else. My favorite song from this one would be Territories.

Signals - This was the first Rush album I fell in love with. It dropped off my radar for a little while, but has recently resurfaced. Subdivisions resonates with me, being one of those kids that grew up in the suburbs. The synth opener and the guitar on top of it make it seem a bit dark, which it certainly is, but the album does lighten for a little bit. The Analog Kid has some of my favorite guitar work from Alex, both in riffs he jams in around the verses, and that great solo he plays later on. And then there's The Weapon. Easily my favorite on this album, Neal's drums and Geddy's synths carry a really exciting rhythm throughout the song, and again, Neal sounds so powerful and wonderful. Alex shines through on guitar yet again. Some other songs I enjoy are New World Man (there highest ranking on the billboard I believe) and Losing It, especially the lyrics.

Grace under Pressure - Another dark album from the Canadian trio in terms of subject matter, I used to call it my favorite. I still quite like it, but just find it a tad less exciting than the other two. With some spectacular moments, such as Afterimage and Between the Wheels it doesn't fail to be great. But there are also some less inspiring moments like Red Lenses. I wouldn't call it weak, but I don't believe there is a weak song in this era. Every album in this period seems to have one song that is different, and this is the one on this album. I do know that Kid Gloves tends to turn off some people, but I find it catchy and fun. Between the Wheels is fantastic though. Alex sounds so powerful on guitar, and sets the tone right off the bat. This I enjoy very much.

Hold Your Fire - This album has a certain beauty that the rest of them lack. The pace slowed down quite a bit, and Alex's guitar seems to take a back seat to Geddy's keys and vocals. This is particularly evident on Second Nature. Even Neal sounds a bit subdued on this album. It's not to say they don't have their moments, but it's a drastic change from Power Windows, but that's to be expected from Rush. Still this is one of their most beautiful albums (behind Presto, I believe), and for this reason, I need the right situation to listen to it. The other three from this era I can put on and enjoy more easily. I don't have one particular favorite from this album, but ones I enjoy the most are Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and High Water.

Lol, I think I got carried away a bit writing about these albums. Maybe I should write some actual reviews. LOL

Thanks for this detailed response. It's always great to read people's thoughts on this great period in Rush's history. Also, thanks to everyone else for their responses so far. Great reads!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 20:34
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

It's easier to count Signals through HYF because of the "four studio-one live" formula Rush followed all the way up through T4E. When you hear the synths open up "The Camera Eye" and the sequencer literally propels "Vital Signs," while Geddy's keyboard riff is the single most identifiable, hummable aspect of "Tom Sawyer" (along with the lyrics), it's clearly the beginning of Rush embracing keyboards. These songs sound alien (in a good way) compared to anything on Permanent Waves. It's just nitpicking, though.

Again, some very strong points and ones that I don't necessarily disagree with, but my only quibble comes from hearing the actual transition from Moving Pictures to Signals. Like, for example, when the opening keyboard chords crash down in the introduction to Subdivisions, you're clearly in a different aural territory than what came before. The way the keyboard basically dominated that entire song makes me think that this is the start of a different period for the band. Moving Pictures is more of a transitional album IMHO.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 20 2014 at 20:36
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 02:46
I have a guilty pleasure for Distant Early Warning. Perfect Cold War track!

I think my favorite overall from this period is Time Stand Still, partly for nostalgic reasons.

Edited by Stereolab - August 21 2014 at 02:52
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 08:36
I would consciously rate classic period Rush (2112 to MP) as the best but I listen to Signals the most out of all their albums so I guess it is subconsciously my favourite. This is actually very odd because when I bought it as an impressionable 15 year old Rush fan I hated it so much I threw the record across the room.

Hold Your Fire is my other favourite from synth period and I have never really liked the subsequent albums very much apart from Counterparts and Clockwork Angels.
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 09:25
There's something about the loneliness of Subdivisions - nothing they wrote before that track had a similar mood to it. I love 80s Rush more because they developed as songwriters and interpreters, disregarding the instruments they used. Of course I'm a keyboardist so I love hearing good synths, but they could have gotten a 12-piece brass band in the 80s and it would still have shown their emotional and songwriting maturity in songs like Distant Early Warning, Mystic Rhythms, and some of the more moody stuff. And of course they still rocked! 80s versions of Moving Pictures and previous-era material sounds better than it ever had in the 70s! The only thing better than 80s Rush is 2014 Rush!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:27
Originally posted by puma puma wrote:

There's something about the loneliness of Subdivisions - nothing they wrote before that track had a similar mood to it. I love 80s Rush more because they developed as songwriters and interpreters, disregarding the instruments they used. Of course I'm a keyboardist so I love hearing good synths, but they could have gotten a 12-piece brass band in the 80s and it would still have shown their emotional and songwriting maturity in songs like Distant Early Warning, Mystic Rhythms, and some of the more moody stuff. And of course they still rocked! 80s versions of Moving Pictures and previous-era material sounds better than it ever had in the 70s! The only thing better than 80s Rush is 2014 Rush!

Yes, I picked on the same feeling you did in Subdivisions, but also a feeling of isolation and even desperation. All these songs you mentioned are first-rate, quintessential Rush.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:29
Originally posted by menawati menawati wrote:

I would consciously rate classic period Rush (2112 to MP) as the best but I listen to Signals the most out of all their albums so I guess it is subconsciously my favourite. This is actually very odd because when I bought it as an impressionable 15 year old Rush fan I hated it so much I threw the record across the room.

Hold Your Fire is my other favourite from synth period and I have never really liked the subsequent albums very much apart from Counterparts and Clockwork Angels.

Isn't it amusing how an album we disliked so many years ago end up becoming favorites? I definitely felt this way about Power Windows, but become a favorite of mine this year and this was a simple matter of musical growth as a listener. I can appreciate things much more now for what they are and not for what the music tries or tries not to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>