Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Rush 'Synth Period' Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:34
I still don't understand how CA can be accepted as a good Rush album, that's another thread though. 
Ermm

I could never get into GUP from that period. Second place would certainly be Signals though. Let's be real here: Subdivisions is a complete anthem. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:38
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I still don't understand how CA can be accepted as a good Rush album, that's another thread though. 
Ermm

I could never get into GUP from that period. Second place would certainly be Signals though. Let's be real here: Subdivisions is a complete anthem. 

I don't listen to any Rush post-Hold Your Fire. I think they lost a lot of magic when the keyboards no longer had an important role in the music. As I mentioned before, Geddy said he wished the band could have expanded on this direction, but Alex was getting pretty fed up with it all.

Personally, I love Grace. Killer album from start to finish. 
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 08:43
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Ermm

I don't listen to any Rush post-Hold Your Fire. I think they lost a lot of magic when the keyboards no longer had an important role in the music. As I mentioned before, Geddy said he wished the band could have expanded on this direction, but Alex was getting pretty fed up with it all.

At the time, I welcomed their move away from synth. However, most of the albums post-HYF, (exception is presto) don't interest me as much as what came before. There is not one single album after Presto that I listen to in its entirety. They all have some great songs on them but as complete albums are not as interesting.  

Edited by Jeffro - August 22 2014 at 11:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Ermm

At the time, I welcomed their move away from synth. However, most of the albums post-HYF, (exception is presto) don't interest me as much as what came before. There is not one single album after Presto that I listen to in its entirety. They are have some great songs on them but as complete albums are not as interesting.  

Yes, I suppose they reached a certain saturation point and the need to move away from the synthesizers was what needed to happen.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:25

Ermm

At the time, I welcomed their move away from synth. However, most of the albums post-HYF, (exception is presto) don't interest me as much as what came before. There is not one single album after Presto that I listen to in its entirety. They are have some great songs on them but as complete albums are not as interesting.  

Yes, I suppose they reached a certain saturation point and the need to move away from the synthesizers was what needed to happen.

I read an Inteview where Geddy said that they where writting songs like machines, no feeling at all, they went back to basics to feel the music grow again.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 11:05
I am one of those who love all Rush, there's hard for me to pick a favorite era, it changes with my mood, but I remember seeing for the first time the Grace under pressure tour on laser disc (yes, I am that old), it was so great, the enemy within sounded so alive, so real, and even today, I put on my cd of that tour and the feeling is still there, that song live is way better than the studio version, at least for me.

From Signals, The analog kid, the weapon drums and Losing it.

Afterimage from GUP is one of my fav, let's think a bit... Between the wheels, the rhythm section is out of this world, hard not to air drum that song,  The bass line on The Enemy Within (the closing section brings shivers down my spine).

From Power windows, the lyrics of Middletown dreams, you need to understand that I was a teenager by the time I meet Rush, so the lyrics where a really important part of the product, and even on the cover you could see that he was talking to us at that time.

From HYF,  the lyrics of Open secrets, and the bass on Prime mover, well really of the whole album, a special album for my teen years.

Can we have a discussion about each album individualy?, that sounds like fun, starting from the very first one, who's going to start it?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:02
Originally posted by Hans il mercante Hans il mercante wrote:

I am one of those who love all Rush, there's hard for me to pick a favorite era, it changes with my mood, but I remember seeing for the first time the Grace under pressure tour on laser disc (yes, I am that old), it was so great, the enemy within sounded so alive, so real, and even today, I put on my cd of that tour and the feeling is still there, that song live is way better than the studio version, at least for me.

That's a relief. I thought I was old for having A Show of Hands on VHS Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 13:19

Afterimage from GUP is one of my fav, let's think a bit... Between the wheels, the rhythm section is out of this world, hard not to air drum that song,  The bass line on The Enemy Within (the closing section brings shivers down my spine).

"Afterimage" and "Between the Wheels" alone make Grace Under Pressure worth the price of admission, and "The Enemy Within" is incredible. Indeed, Geddy's bassline is a tasty one, and to think the guy sings a lead vocal over it demonstrates the level that Rush works at.

Which is why I wasn't too thrilled with many of the basslines on Presto and RTB, and the good ones still didn't pop because the production of those albums made thems feel lighter than the '80s albums.

I listened to Clockwork Angels this morning (with a good bit of volume, of course), and it must be reiterated that the production and playing on the album are what I expect of Rush. They really came back with a vengeance starting with Vapor Trails. Geddy's bass intro to "Seven Cities of Gold" is one of his best in the history of the band.

To put it mildly, they've still got it!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 13:27
Hehe, well, I still got that one on VHS somewhere, plus, Chronicles, I got to find them, even tough I don't have a VCR anymore.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 13:39
I got to say that CAngels is not my all time fav, but it wakes strong emotions of days passed, they without a doubt show the world that they still can make good music in a very modern way (if you know what I mean).

I got a very particular way of seeing this album, I bought it when it came out, the strange part is that I was getting this similarity with the Candide by Voltaire (witch is by the way one of my fav books, highly recommended), that album has that WOW effect thanks to it, It was a very pleasing surprise, I was totally unaware of that when I bought the latest album of my favorite band. Only by that, it deserves to be among the ones that I like the most.

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 22 2014 at 13:44
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 14:42
Favorites tracks:
Signals (favorite album of period btw) - Subdivisions, Chemistry, Digital Man (the fill that starts it is killer)
Grace Under Pressure - Afterimage, Red Sector A
Power Windows - Marathon, Mystic Rhythms
Hold Your Fire (least favorite) - Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission (only songs i know from it actually lol)
Progrockdude
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 15:37
Are we going to open the Rush appreciation threat?, c´mon, we got a lot of albums to talk about.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 15:55

Are we going to open the Rush appreciation threat?, c´mon, we got a lot of albums to talk about.

Rush thread never last too long, here it's Genesis, Yes, Flower Kings and IQ
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 16:18
I love that period of Rush, all the four albums, Power Windows is probably my favourite of the lot but by a small margin, I found Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire brilliant right from the first listens. Signals was the one which took me a bit longer to love in the same measure but eventually it earned all my praise as well.

I discovered Rush with A Farewell To Kings, followed by Caress Of Steel, 2112 and Hemispheres (and then their two first albums which did not convince me to the same level), and obviously I fell in love with all of them. Then Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures were the icing on the cake.

I guess that the change of style of Signals took me a while to digest and that's why for some time I put that album a bit on hold, considering it as a step down for the mighty Rush. Only when with the later Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows I got used to that new direction and I gave Signals a new chance I realised how good an album it was, even if it was much more modern-sounding than its predecessors.

We all know that classic Rush can be divided in periods of 4 studio albums. I definitely like this period more than their 1st period from self-titled to 2112. If you ask me if I like it more than the 2nd period (A Farewell To Kings to Moving Pictures) then it's a much harder question to answer though.

Edited by Gerinski - August 22 2014 at 17:29
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 17:01

From Signals, The analog kid, the weapon drums and Losing it.

From Power windows, the lyrics of Middletown dreams, you need to understand that I was a teenager by the time I meet Rush, so the lyrics where a really important part of the product, and even on the cover you could see that he was talking to us at that time.

From HYF,  the lyrics of Open secrets, and the bass on Prime mover, well really of the whole album, a special album for my teen years.

Can we have a discussion about each album individualy?, that sounds like fun, starting from the very first one, who's going to start it?

Just this era? Or the whole Rush catalog? If we're doing the whole thing, then we might have to move over to "Rush Fan Central". Approve
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 17:26
Is there a Rush fan central?, c'mon it would be nice to listen to the whole catalog (again) and write some impressions on those wonderful albums (even though I don't need to listen to them once more, I know them by heart), we can add a record from time to time and read the members favorite moment on each album.

I can tell you, I remember where I bought each one of my Rush albums, as a teen, Rush was like the soundtrack of my life. Hard not to look at them and smile. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 17:58

Is there a Rush fan central?

Right above this thread.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40947
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 17:59
I just bumped it for you Hans.

Or you could always start a new thread for such an endeavor. I'll participate when I can.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:14
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I just bumped it for you Hans.

Or you could always start a new thread for such an endeavor. I'll participate when I can.

Thanks Metalmarsh89, I've been reading it for a while, actually looking at the visits on this threat, I think it would be better to open a threat like this one but about the first 4 and so on, after that, we can talk about the live ones, it's up to the creator of this threat.

By the way, I got the albums on this threat on vinyl, I encourage everyone to listen to The enemy within on that format, that's how it was meant to be.

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 22 2014 at 19:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 20:15

Ermm

I read an Inteview where Geddy said that they where writting songs like machines, no feeling at all, they went back to basics to feel the music grow again.

What Geddy thinks of the music and what the fans think thankfully are two different things! Smile Anyway, I believe this interview I saw with him where he said he wished Rush could have continued on with the synthesizers was on the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 22 2014 at 20:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>