Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRevisting DSOTM's Concept 41 Years Later

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 18:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^So it really makes no difference if you start the album on side two then conclude it with side one then? it is cyclic, is it not? Give it it a try. Cheers mate.
It doesn't not work.

Starting with the cash-register of Money is a bit of a sonic jolt to begin with but it does work and since the tracks segue perfectly the rest of it flows well enough. (and better than the CD versions where Money follows after Great Giggle without the protracted "intermission" that flipping over an LP naturally introduces)

What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 21:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^So it really makes no difference if you start the album on side two then conclude it with side one then? it is cyclic, is it not? Give it it a try. Cheers mate.

It doesn't not work.
Starting with the cash-register of Money is a bit of a sonic jolt to begin with but it does work and since the tracks segue perfectly the rest of it flows well enough. (and better than the CD versions where Money follows after Great Giggle without the protracted "intermission" that flipping over an LP naturally introduces)

Perhaps Floyd should have asked Ian Anderson for "The Hare that Lost His Spectacles" as an intermezzo.

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 21 2014 at 21:35
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 02:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It doesn't not work.

Perhaps Floyd should have asked Ian Anderson for "The Hare that Lost His Spectacles" as an intermezzo. 

Gilmour once referred to the spoken word tracks on Moody Blues albums as "Poet's Corner", so I don't imagine he was a fan of that kind of non-musical interlude. 
What?
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:22

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I'll skip to your last question.I agree with the sentiments of
Mr. Waters and others, but who am I to deny what they've said, lol.
Anyway, I believe there's an obvious corallation from beginning to end
that targets on the subjects of madness and insanity. Time and Money,
two things in life that people waste in pursuit of more. Us and Them doesn't have many words, but the title and the lyrics seem to point to relationships between people. Brain Damage
is obviously about lunacy, and self-induced madness. Eclipse is a
brilliant close to the album that seems to sum up the ideas explored in
the album.The concept in this album doesn't seem to be in the
words, but in the music and atmosphere. You've got three (or four)
instrumental tracks that need no words that speak for themselves. The
album flows as well as any album you'll ever hear. And then there are
all those extra spoken lines inserted in that seem to hit on a
less-conscious level than everything else, but they are another crucial
piece. They're like the little voice inside your head, one that drives
some people insane, or just make you feel that way.

Excellent summation, MM. I also recall the instrumental "On the Run" was about Richard Wright's fear of flying, which makes sense because the background noise sounds like an airport with a breathless man trying to catch a flight.

Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 09:56

It doesn't not work.

I believe that may be the funniest thing you've ever posted. Live long and prosper.  Clap

Edited by SteveG - August 22 2014 at 09:57
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:18

It doesn't not work.

So the album would have been cyclical if not for the sound effects? is that Waters' contention?

And songs about a bloke that's desperate for money or people in a desperate situation like war, in the song like Us And Them, would seem to me to result in Waters writing some very desperate sounding lyrics. But who am I to question such wisdom?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 11:40

And songs about a bloke that's desperate for money or people in a desperate situation like war, in the song like Us And Them, would seem to me to result in Waters writing some very desperate sounding lyrics. But who am I to question such wisdom?
Pinch oooow that was tenuous. LOL 

Shame you couldn't think of 'desperation' links to the rest of the album, Time should have been an easy one, it even mentions it in the lyric.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 11:44

It doesn't not work.

So the album would have been cyclical if not for the sound effects? is that Waters' contention?

Perhaps, you have considered the fact that whether or not it sounds desperate also depends on each one's interpretation of the lyrics, yes?  Because what sounds desperate to you only sounds wry and matter of fact to me.  Haven't we seen billionaires buy up football (soccer) teams even if they understand very little about the game, haven't we seen superpowers make friends or enemies out of the same nations/entities?  Far from being desperate, I find the words of both songs ring true to me even today.  Whether more so than the 70s or not I cannot tell.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 13:33
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It doesn't not work.

Perhaps, you have considered the fact that whether or not it sounds desperate also depends on each one's interpretation of the lyrics, yes?  Because what sounds desperate to you only sounds wry and matter of fact to me.  Haven't we seen billionaires buy up football (soccer) teams even if they understand very little about the game, haven't we seen superpowers make friends or enemies out of the same nations/entities?  Far from being desperate, I find the words of both songs ring true to me even today.  Whether more so than the 70s or not I cannot tell.  
Yes Roger, I would be remiss if I did not point out the fact that ultimately all lyrics are subjective and the meaning is ultimately based on the listeners undestanding of the lyrics and the relationship of the lyrics to the listeners own life experiences. How you and I interpret the lyrics to Money or Us And Them are both valid as Waters left a bit of vagueness or universality in them, enough to draw valid but slightly different takes on them. Lyrics are supposed to do that to some extent. They are not an instruction book for percise thinking, reacting or feeling. Your brain does all that automatically.

As an aside, Dean thought I was confusing the word desperate with disparate. As an American, I would have used the word disassociated instead of disparate. My wife, who is English, on the other hand..

Edited by SteveG - August 22 2014 at 13:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 17:27

As an aside, Dean thought I was confusing the word desperate with disparate. As an American, I would have used the word disassociated instead of disparate. My wife, who is English, on the other hand..

For an album that was that universely lauded by it's group and critics as a concept, so it was only left to critics to connect the desperperate the dots. And lo and behold, a concept album was born. With many expanations regarding it's onvoluted dijointed thems, up untill this day do involved up to his day, it stil considerded a coherent concept. 

My misunderstanding is understandable. 

Otherwise I'm calling "bullcrap" Stern Smile
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 04:52

Yes Roger, I would be remiss if I did not point out the fact that ultimately all lyrics are subjective and the meaning is ultimately based on the listeners undestanding of the lyrics and the relationship of the lyrics to the listeners own life experiences. How you and I interpret the lyrics to Money or Us And Them are both valid as Waters left a bit of vagueness or universality in them, enough to draw valid but slightly different takes on them. Lyrics are supposed to do that to some extent. They are not an instruction book for percise thinking, reacting or feeling. Your brain does all that automatically.

Right, but in that case, merely the fact that the lyrics of Money or Us and Them sound desperate to you (and not necessarily to everyone in general) doesn't mean there was no concept or that Waters was only pulling cotton wool over us all.  The concept broadly encompasses the things that drive people crazy and cause strife in the planet -  greed for money, war, the race against time and so on and so forth.  In that sense, it's a very 70s album (though the conclusion in Eclipse is already a lot more depressing and dreary than typical 70s optimism a la Anderson and his magic Eastern solutions) and where it differs is the way it chooses to narrate the concept.  I think one of the main reasons people might find the notion of DSOTM being a concept album questionable is that there is no protagonist here passing through different experiences and narrating these in first person.  In fact, a lot of it is in second person, stating everyday truths in a very matter of fact tone with just enough subtlety that it doesn't sound bald and crude and largely avoids topical references (which is why it continues to find fans even today).  But I would argue that that (the first person narrative) is the just the cliched idea of what a concept album is supposed to be (which has evolved over the last few decades) and it is not necessary that every artist who comes up with a concept album has to frame it that way alone.

Edited by rogerthat - August 23 2014 at 04:53
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:36

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">

For an album that was that universely lauded by it's group and critics as a concept, so it was only left to critics to connect the desperperate the dots. And lo and behold, a concept album was born. With many expanations regarding it's onvoluted dijointed thems, up untill this day do involved up to his day, it stil considerded a coherent concept. 
We have been going back and forth with so much wasteful useless pedantic serve and return bickering that I actually don't know at what point that post was written by me. I accept the fact that I'm as far from an articulate person as one can get with failing and erratic degrees of vision which is of no help, so for that I apologize. As far as your statement about "calling bullcrap', please be so kind inform someone who sincerely cares about what you think as, believe it or not, I honestly have more important things to concern myself with.

Edited by SteveG - August 23 2014 at 13:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 12:35
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Right, but in that case, merely the fact that the lyrics of Money or Us and Them sound desperate to you (and not necessarily to everyone in general) doesn't mean there was no concept or that Waters was only pulling cotton wool over us all.  The concept broadly encompasses the things that drive people crazy and cause strife in the planet -  greed for money, war, the race against time and so on and so forth.  In that sense, it's a very 70s album (though the conclusion in Eclipse is already a lot more depressing and dreary than typical 70s optimism a la Anderson and his magic Eastern solutions) and where it differs is the way it chooses to narrate the concept.  I think one of the main reasons people might find the notion of DSOTM being a concept album questionable is that there is no protagonist here passing through different experiences and narrating these in first person.  In fact, a lot of it is in second person, stating everyday truths in a very matter of fact tone with just enough subtlety that it doesn't sound bald and crude and largely avoids topical references (which is why it continues to find fans even today).  But I would argue that that (the first person narrative) is the just the cliched idea of what a concept album is supposed to be (which has evolved over the last few decades) and it is not necessary that every artist who comes up with a concept album has to frame it that way alone.

Once again, Roger, it all has to do with subjectivity and how I myself interpret Waters lyrics in songs like Money and US And Them. And an important point to consider is that I summarized those two songs down into two one simple description for the sake of an argument. Money, to me, is more straight forward, but Us And Them has various layers of meanings and shifting topics in its lyrics, so how you want to summarize that particular song into one brief word is up to you and by my own admission, it's not really proper and fair to the song or to Waters' intent. Please keep in mind also, that Waters is an Englishman whose lyrics are Anglo-centric and I'm an American that's never going to totally appreciate his points of view.

As for a concept album having songs that do not all have a relationship to the overall theme, I feel there are some concept albums with at least one, two or even up to three songs that seem disassociated from the albums main concept, regardless of what "bunk" the composer states in order to tie them together with the rest of the album. But I don't split hairs, I feel that the artist got 90% of the concept right where many others dare not even try. So, my hats off to them. I can think of one concept album where the main song seems unrelated to any concept at all. That album would be Thick As A Brick. But I give the composer credit as others would never even think of its "concept" to begin with. The cheeky devil. This will be my last PA post as I'm heading off to magazines with more technically involved topics, in which I'm much more at home with. Peace. Out.

Edited by SteveG - August 23 2014 at 13:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 15:47

We have been going back and forth with so much wasteful useless pedantic serve and return bickering that I actually don't know at what point that post was written by me. I accept the fact that I'm as far from an articulate person as one can get with failing and erratic degrees of vision which is of no help, so for that I apologize. As far as your statement about "calling bullcrap', please be so kind inform someone who sincerely cares about what you think as, believe it or not, I honestly have more important things to concern myself with.
Sorry to have embarrassed you in public, please go in peace.
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:52

Thus, life imitates art and people are driven to madness discussing whether an album is about madness.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 10:49

Macular Degeneration is an eye disease that does not give me cause for embarrassement,  but  high levels of frustration as some days and are obviously better than others, and respectively, some posts are more coherent then others, and it is the cause of my childish over sensitivity to this subject. That said, let's move on.

Edited by SteveG - August 25 2014 at 10:56
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:39
I used to think it's an album about how time, money, work, solitude, the ennui in the middle class, etc. can work your mind and make you a complete/a bigger a-hole.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 25 2014 at 11:42
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 14:40
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I used to think it's an album about how time, money, work, solitude, the ennui in the middle class, etc. can work your mind and make you a complete/a bigger a-hole.
A fiend of mine brought up the same point once, but my response was "What's Waters' alternative to that? Rob a bank or become a monk?"

My friend replied that Waters was a socialist. My next response was "So, socialists don't work and have solitude and political fears that we are immune from?"

My friend next suggested that perhaps Waters was just having a bad day and decided to write about it. I just turned up the volume.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 14:10
It's interesting that I never even thought of DSOTM as a 'concept album' when we first heard it in college.
Same for Aqualung and others like TAAB. It was never really discussed and we just enjoyed the music. We didn't even talk about Tommy or Quadrophenia in those terms.
Not until years later did I read articles that brought up this idea about some albums.
Perhaps I was too busy with school at the time to think about it.
Embarrassed

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 14:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It's interesting that I never even thought of DSOTM as a 'concept album' when we first heard it in college.
Same for Aqualung and others like TAAB. It was never really discussed and we just enjoyed the music. We didn't even talk about Tommy or Quadrophenia in those terms.

Not until years later did I read articles that brought up this idea about some albums.

Perhaps I was too busy with school at the time to think about it.

Embarrassed

No need for apologies, Doc. After what I've experienced for the better part of the last 40 years, I think it's better to be Dr. Wu then Dr. Hook.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>