Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRevisting DSOTM's Concept 41 Years Later

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 14:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It's interesting that I never even thought of DSOTM as a 'concept album' when we first heard it in college.
Same for Aqualung and others like TAAB. It was never really discussed and we just enjoyed the music. We didn't even talk about Tommy or Quadrophenia in those terms.

Not until years later did I read articles that brought up this idea about some albums.

Perhaps I was too busy with school at the time to think about it.

Embarrassed

No need for apologies, Doc. After what I've experienced for the better part of the last 40 years, I think it's better to be Dr. Wu then Dr. Hook.

Well...I'm not exactly apologizing for anything but saying that the idea of so-called concept albums wasn't really an issue with me and other listeners until critics and other writers started saying they were. An early meme perhaps.   Wink

btw...what part of the USA are you living in?
...and I hope your mac deg isn't too bad ...is it wet or dry?

Edited by dr wu23 - August 26 2014 at 14:51
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 15:41
^Sorry Doc, just my clumsy attempt at humor. Maybe not, I've met Dr. Hook. My mac deg is wet and I'm responding well to Lucentis. I still have some bad days and can't drive, but other than that I'm doing well. I live in the great north east,(NY) and thank you for your concern.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It's interesting that I never even thought of DSOTM as a 'concept album' when we first heard it in college.
Same for Aqualung and others like TAAB. It was never really discussed and we just enjoyed the music. We didn't even talk about Tommy or Quadrophenia in those terms.
Not until years later did I read articles that brought up this idea about some albums.
Perhaps I was too busy with school at the time to think about it.
Embarrassed

This brings us full-circle {How important are lyrics...}. 

To not notice a concept or theme in an album is to not notice the content and meaning of the lyric - to hear the music, the song and the vocal is to treat it purely as an aural entertainment for the purpose of enjoyment with little or no regard for any comment or statement the artist is attempting to make in the lyric being sung by the vocalist. This is not unlike reading Pride and Prejudice as a light-hearted love story without noticing the satire and social commentary within, at both levels we can appreciate the skill of the author, the quality of the writing and the literary value of the book. There is nothing wrong with that if entertainment is all you are seeking, and let's be honest here, that is its primary purpose after all. There are onion-like layers to almost every work of art but first above all those in any appreciation of it is the requirement to actually like the piece, to enjoy it and take pleasure from it, at that aesthetic outer layer. 

And we can stop there. There is no rule that says we must delve deeper, or that doing so would increase or decrease our enjoyment, it is the listener's choice. The artist can chose to impart some meaning or commentary into the album but it is for us to decide whether to give them any consideration; we can appreciate that Anderson, Anderson, Waters, Gabriel, Hammill, Sinfield et al can pen a good lyric without analysing what they are saying and even if we do there is nothing to say that any of them are great shakes in the philosophy department.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:26
^Well, obviously I've felt that lyrics have been given short shrift in some applications, but I do recall what someone told me once in regard to lyrics in Progressive music. Consider, the music like the engine in a sports car and lyrics like the tires. Which one are you more interested in?

Edited by SteveG - August 27 2014 at 16:28
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 17:58

^Well, obviously I've felt that lyrics have been given short shrift in some applications, but I do recall what someone told me once in regard to lyrics in Progressive music. Consider, the music like the engine in a sports car and lyrics like the tires. Which one are you more interested in?  
Well, it's a poor metaphor and in no way relevant to anything I've written so I'm not sure what the 'tongue' icon represents in this case.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:35
^You must be a real blast at parties. I so regret that I've missed so many with you in my life. LOL  A very wise sage once spoke these words that may be of help to you: "It's only rock and roll, but I like it!!"  I  hope you can gain some meaning from this and obtain a deep state of chill. Smile

Edited by SteveG - August 28 2014 at 11:48
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:17
Seriously.. Don't get personal. Stern Smile
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 15:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There was nothing seriously said in my last two posts, but I know enough to call it a day with some people and today's our day.

Edited by SteveG - August 28 2014 at 15:51
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 15:56

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There was nothing seriously said in my last two posts, but I know enough to call it a day with some people and today's our day.
Good. I love discussions and love it more when the persons involved can keep it to the subject being discussed and do not resort to personal remarks about the person they are discussing with. However "humorous" they think they are being, it's a cheap shot and frankly, I'm sick of it.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 16:40
^Ditto.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 16:41
*sigh*
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 16:44
^

Edited by SteveG - August 28 2014 at 16:48
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 16:52
And everything under the sun is in tune,
But the sun is eclipsed by moon.

Hence, the old terms "lunatic" and "lunacy" regarding madness induced by lunar cycles. Like werewolves under the full moon. Or at Trader Vic's. I'd love to meet his tailor.

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 28 2014 at 16:54
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123