Topic ClosedYes - August 19 on Yahoo Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - August 19 on Yahoo Live
    Posted: August 20 2014 at 22:20

As much as I love concerts, I hate crowds. 

Watching a concert in my home gives me a stellar view, private bathrooms, beer that doesn’t cost a fortune, and the ability to walk fifteen feet and go to sleep without worries from a police officer (the wife may be a different story).

So I stayed up late during a week night to see Yes play San Jose, California for Yahoo! Live Nation. 

"Siberian Khatru" - Can Yes perform this song any slower?  I kept nodding my head, not in time, but in an attempt to get them to get on with the next note.  Geoff Downes' timing didn't match the rest of the band, and his tones clashed with the song.  His keyboards were situated such that his back is to the audience for most of the show (great view of those teal pants).  Everyone looked so grumpy (the new singer aside but more on that later); even the usually jovial Alan White, who can make the ugly drummer faces but we still know is a nice fellow, looked uncharacteristically grumpy and tired.  Not a promising start, and I was concerned that I was going to trade good sleep for something that could send me to sleep.

However, they nailed "Close to the Edge."  Chris put in a beautiful bass solo during the quietest moment of the song that was really something, receiving applause in the middle of the song (and a beatific smile from the bassist on the final note).  During the counterpoint, you could CLEARLY hear Steve and Chris on vocals even with the delay added, which I felt was something special.  Downes' organ solo?  Bitchingly good.  Alan White still looks like he's about to shank somebody with a broken-off drumstick.

By the way, there was a thing for shoes in this.  The camera kept nabbing foot shots (Steve wears loafers, Alan Nikes, in case you were wondering).

Squire used an eight-string bass on "Believe Again," a song from the new album.  I can see why a lot of people don’t like it.  Structurally, it’s about as basic as it gets for Yes standards, but Yes had done many simple songs and hardly anyone complained.  So I was glad to hear the two best songs on the new album done live.  "The Game" sounded great- nothing much to add.

To introduce Fragile, Steve Howe gave a surprisingly enthusiastic short speech.

You may have heard it a thousand times, but "Roundabout" rocked.  Chris' bass rang out loud and clear as the primary lead instrument (as it should), and this was not the castrated version of "Roundabout" the band had played on many DVDs- this was the whole deal, heavy middle section included.

I was curious to see how Geoff would handle "Cans and Brahms."  I was hoping to see an original spin on it, but I don't blame him for using backing tracks (it's my least favorite piece from Fragile) and handling the more intricate bits himself.

"We Have Heaven" sounded brilliant.

It was funny watching Geoff running his hand across the keyboard for the windy sound of "South Side of the Sky" while a fan blew into Chris' face.  "South Side of the Sky" is one that Yes tends to play rather consistently, and this performance was no different: Tight, crisp, and smooth all at once.  Added syllables in the vocalized section gave it a fresh magic, and it was fun watching Davison making the "wind" to bring the band back in.  Downes' synthesizer solos were laden with arpeggios, but the tone and overall aesthetic suited the song, while Howe provided the piece with his traditional treatment as they traded performances.

"Five Per Cent for Nothing" sounded every bit the mess it does on the original.  Alan White was wearing Beats by Dre during the performance.

After a very normal “Long Distance Runaround,” the spotlight was on Squire- time for Fish.  He thundered through a bass solo that stuck close to the source material.  And the Beats were back on Alan, who still looks none too pleased.  Geoff was on cowbell duty.

Howe came in with his guitar to stroll through “Mood for a Day,” accompanied by people shouting things in the audience.

"Heart of the Sunrise" featured some 8-bit Nintendo sounds, but was otherwise rocking.

The encore was “Your Move / I’ve Seen All Good People” and “Owner of a Lonely Heart.”  There wasn’t much to add about either, although I would have preferred “Starship Trooper” to the final song, but there wasn’t anything disappointing about either song.

A word about Jon Davison.

Praxis aside, the best singer for Yes will always be Jon Anderson, and whatever the reason for it, I still think it’s sad that he’s still no longer with them. 

That said, last night I felt that Jon Davison was more technically skilled than Anderson ever was.  This isn’t Pop Idol, so I won’t judge one performance against nearly half a century of them, but that was the impression I got.  Davison’s vocal control was never off the mark and his performance was always clear and melodic.  However, Anderson’s voice has a rasp to it that I always loved.

No, you don’t need Jon Anderson to have a wonderful Yes experience, just like you don’t need a knife to have a Ribeye steak, but the knife makes the experience more genuine.

While his bandmates generally appeared to have been forced to hold spoiled milk in their mouths for much of the show, Davison never wavered from his Cheshire Cat eyes and grin, and he swirled about much in the same way.  While Jon Anderson has an elf-like tendency and does incredibly goofy things during a song or while talking to the audience, it never struck me as anything but genuine.  That’s just how Jon Anderson is, end of story. 

But with Davison, it was so theatrical it felt like a high school drama production (it didn’t help that Davison looks exactly like a 45-year-old version of a student of mine last year who was heavily involved in the thespian group).  Prancing around up there with a bunch of stoical, “aging old farts” (Wakeman’s words, not mine) just felt awkward to watch.  Never mind the bearded crew member lurking behind Davison with a weird expression on his face.

I can only wonder if real life is even somewhat as histrionic as his stage presence.  Perhaps the next time I’m at the grocery store, I’ll purchase my bread and milk with the same gestures and movements.

Could be interesting.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 11:12
Nice review Robert!

Much as I thought when I saw them earlier this year - there is still life in the old dog!!!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 14:39
indeed, i saw the whole Close to the Edge thing live as well as the encore just before that (which was perfect because apparently the whole concert was on repeat and not like a youtube video, which is kinda fine but would rather like it be the latter but oh well; mainly that intro though before the concert. it was awesome!!) and i share your sentiments for the exclusion of Starship Trooper in the setlist, but at least they played it in DC (just before we walked out on them thx to my dad who thought it was over by then lol).
Progrockdude
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 14:53
Sounds similar to the show I saw a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta.  I also thought that "Siberian Khatru" was a borderline train wreck - a real drag tempo-wise, but also because the PA sound hadn't really been optimized yet (don't they do soundchecks?).   I agree that "We Have Heaven" was excellent live.  One striking difference in my show was that the band actually seemed in pretty high spirits the night I saw them - especially Steve Howe, who was more animated than I'd ever seen him before (on videos; this was my first Yes live show). Chris Squire also smiled and interacted with the crowd a lot.  I also agree with your take on Jon Davison - he could hit all the notes effortlessly (a pretty tall order for Yes material), and that certainly helped the quality of the overall show.  But his stage persona did feel like an act - like he was aware of whom he was replacing and what people would have expected Anderson to do.  And that's not a bad thing, but it was noticeable.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by HolyMoly - August 21 2014 at 14:58
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:05
Awesome review! Thank you for sharing that experience with us Smile.
Sinful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 18:48
YES I enjoyed reading that review. I have seen them in about every config, including the Drama tour with Downes and Trevor Horn in the early 80s.

The one argument I would make is that I have never seen a video of a concert that I saw that did justice to it when the concert was great.

There is an element that the great concerts have that never is captured on a video.

Edited by Sinful - August 23 2014 at 18:53
The Path is clear
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 18:08
Hi,

On the Spirit Mountain show, if there were some moments that were great and I wanted more of it, was in a couple of places you could see that Steve and Chris were free jamming, and for my money, a couple of those moments were more exciting than a lot of the things they played.

I was kinda thiking that they should really let loose with "Relayer" so that both Steve and Chris can just rip for 5 to 10 minutes ... and I would love to see it, but I'm not sure that the pop-fan audience would be interested in a pure rock show, instead of a hit-show, and that may be the bad side of YES right now ... not able to get away from the pop-fan that made their money many years ago.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 18:20
Originally posted by Sinful Sinful wrote:

YES I enjoyed reading that review. I have seen them in about every config, including the Drama tour with Downes and Trevor Horn in the early 80s.

The one argument I would make is that I have never seen a video of a concert that I saw that did justice to it when the concert was great.

There is an element that the great concerts have that never is captured on a video.

Some bands are not that great on video. In some cases, I think that some bands had some difficult music to show and it was too much of an effort to have to maintain a straight face if you made an error or the like. For the work that YES did, being accurate and clean was important, I would imagine, but this might have been an issue with Jon  a lot more than it was with the rest of the folks in the band.

When you see them live today, maybe 40 years have softended things up, but they are not exactly a good band, stage wise to put on vide for anyone. It might even be considered boring.

Check out NEKTAR, for example. Just as difficult music, and the guitarist is doing ALL the singing, and it is fine. Some folks are more comfortable than others with their work, and the difficulty of their work. Or Caravan.

Edited by moshkito - September 01 2014 at 18:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply