Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProto Marillion 76-82 = Machiavel!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto Marillion 76-82 = Machiavel!
    Posted: August 21 2014 at 03:50
When the neoprog doesn't exist!!!

Could u suggest me some proto Marillion bands, like Machiavel, better in RPI or symphonic prog. I discover this band and i like the first 2 album. I love how the old sound of the '70 become more refined and use much more electronics instruments like electro piano, boombastic moog and strings. I know Camel, Zaragon and "Sensitiva Immagine".

Edited by Aragon - August 21 2014 at 03:52
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 04:23
You should definitely try out Babylon's sole s/t album, an album I personally consider as one of the first albums to bear that early 'Neo prog' fingerprint. It's from 1978, so it's an early bugger too: Dreamfish
Edit: for some reason I can't embed vids anymore.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 21 2014 at 04:25
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 04:29
Maybe the debut SAGA album from 1978 ??
Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 04:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You should definitely try out Babylon's sole s/t album, an album I personally consider as one of the first albums to bear that early 'Neo prog' fingerprint. It's from 1978, so it's an early bugger too: Dreamfish
Edit: for some reason I can't embed vids anymore.

mmmm at first listen the song u posted is a bit complex for my neoprog hears.....LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL. I'll try to listen much more, although i love the singer!!!

Edited by Aragon - August 21 2014 at 04:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 04:45
LOL
Ok, I guess I did choose the most elaborate piece of the lot.
I probably should've started with this one instead, especially seeing as you really dig the vocals: The Mote in God's Eye
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 04:49
Btw: I figure you already know Pablo 'El Enterrador' right? I've seen many early Neo prog afficionados drool over this album. 
If not, here's a wee tasteSmile

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 05:59
Originally posted by Aragon Aragon wrote:

(...) I love how the old sound of the '70 become more refined and use much more electronics instruments like electro piano, boombastic moog and strings (...)

Quote SKY is a British-Australian classic rock band formed in London in 1978 by classic guitarist John Williams (not to be confused with the American movie score composer of the same name), keyboarder Francis Monkman (of Curved Air fame), guitarist Kevin Peek, bassist Herbie Flowers and drummer Tristan Fry. Their unique style combined with the virtuosity of the individual members and easy accessibility of the compositions quickly gained them a huge and steady fan base. The absolute highlight of this era was a concert in Westminster Abbey in February 1981 (in fact the first ever rock concert there) which was video taped by BBC.
Unfortunately after only two albums Monkman decided to leave the outfit and he was replaced by Steve Gray. Grey's influence made the band sound more jazz oriented. After the third album audience interest gradually declined. After two more studio albums and a (excellent) live double album the band fell into oblivion.

The highlights in their discography ar certainly "Sky2", a double album with a broad variety of songs from very funny to virtually symphonic compositions. The other one is the above mentioned live album "Sky Five Live" on which every member of the band is able to show his prowess.

Highly recommended to everyone who likes easy listening and doesn't mind classical influences.

Edited by Svetonio - August 21 2014 at 06:25
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 06:48
Try Genesis "A Trick of the Tail" "Wind and Wuthering and "And Then There Were Three". The later two easily could be classified as proto-neo at some points.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 08:34
My favorite of what I would consider the proto-neo bands is a German band, Anyone's Daughter. Somewhere between W&W Genesis, Camel and early Marillion. Their first two albums are in English, their third is mostly narrated in German and the last two sung in German.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 08:39
^Yes very good recommendation, I'll second that. In the same vein you'll find another German band called Amenophis. Their first album should be right up the OPs alley methinks:)

- Douglas Adams
Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

Try Genesis "A Trick of the Tail" "Wind and Wuthering and "And Then There Were Three". The later two easily could be classified as proto-neo at some points.

Ehm sorry no Genesis, i can't get that kind of symphonic sound. Sky is a good example, good recomendation. Anyone Daugheter is good too, but it's hasn't that feeling of Machiavel that im searching. In machiavel there are much more catchy moments....they use ripetitive piano riff with a Crescendo Drums, and often the moog and the guitars create a melodic line that remain in my mind soon.

Edited by Aragon - August 21 2014 at 11:52
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 12:58
actually, I find Anyone's Daughter to be extremely catchy in a good way.  Their last 2 German sung albums in particular showed a "progression" into more accessible prog - check out "In Blau" and, perhaps especially "Neu Sterne", if you have not already

You might also like LE ORME's "Verita Nascoste"  or some late 1970s or early 1980s NOVALIS.  Or how about ELOY "Colours", "Planets" or "Time to Turn".  FM's "Black Noise" (last I looked they were classed as prog related but they are definitely crossover).   While I'm not crazy about it, it seems like P'COCK "Burning beach" might work for you.
I might think of some others, but let's go with these for now

here's another, ZOMBY WOOF and their sole album, what a one off

Edited by kenethlevine - August 21 2014 at 13:08
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:24

Quote Starcastle was a progressive rock band from Champaign, Illinois, which formed in 1969. They received extensive airplay and frequently played in the St. Louis area. The lineup included Terry Luttrell who was vocalist with REO Speedwagon. They released several albums on the Epic and CBS labels. Their first album "Starcastle" sold well and received worldwide airplay.

Later albums "Fountain of Light" and "Citadel" did not sell as well as the first. They were frequently criticized for their style of music which was similar to Yes. They were the opening act for such bands as Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas, Boston, Rush, Journey and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcastle

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 14:00
Transparencias by MIA (1976)

[QUOTE]Formed in the mid 70s, Independent Musicians Associated (MIA) was a group of musicians, technicians and drawers gathered together by Lito and Liliana Vitale's parents. They produced their own records and concerts in an independent way. Their music is a complex symphonic rock with definite Argentinean/latin folk influence with multiple corals and vocals beautifully contrasting with the keyboards and a great guitar sound upon a strong rhythmic section. They were highly influenced by symphonic music, more noteworthy by ELP, GENTLE GIANT and FOCUS. 

Their debut was "Transparencias", an exquisite album of classical. Their second album was vocal oriented. Lead by Alberto Muńoz -author of the lyrics- this effort was a different approach, though still keeping the symphonic mood in the form of songs. On "Cornostipicum", MIA returned to the instrumental-symphonic rock with elaborated pieces such as "Crifana y Tamílstenes". This album is a highly recommended classic and certainly one of the best ever from Argentina. MIA's final release was a big project called "Conciertos", a 3-LP album comprising live recordings from the group's last set of shows. All of these come highly recommended, MIA were a unique musical ensemble with a definite progressive ethic.

MIA official website[/QUOTE

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:24

Quote Tarantula was one of the many prog bands that emerged in the second half of the Seventies, speerheaded by known Spanish formations like Triana, Blogue and Granada. They started as a quintet, led by keyboard player Vicente Guillot. The melodic, very pleasant sound on their eponymous debut album from 1976 is not like the flamenco inspired groups as Triana, Cai or Mezquita but more close to the Seventies Italian Symphonic Prog (dramatic vocals by Rafael Cabrera evoking Banco and Le Orme along the lush vintage keyboards with wonderful drops of the unsurpassed Mellotron) and German symphonic prog like Jane and Ramses (harder-edged guitar and powerful organ runs).
In 1978 Tarantula released their second album entitled Tarantula II, the line-up has completely changed with Vicente Guillot as the only remaining original member. The music is also a different story: a harder-edged sound with a more direct approach, bringing early Uriah Heep to my mind.
-If you want to check out Tarantula, their first is recommended because it's in the symphonic prog tradition but with a more Italian prog touch. The strong points are the expressive vocals (with a theatrical undertone) and the varied vintage keyboards.
Tarantula is an overlooked Spanish band that delivers on their eponymous debut album wonderful symphonic prog with inspired, often expressive vocals and varied vintage keyboards (Moog, Hammond, Mellotron).

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2014 at 03:27
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:41

Quote Although it is not uninteresting by itself, Symphonic Slam's eponymous LP became a collectors curiosity for its historical value: it appears to be the first album to make extensive use of the guitar synthesizer. Leader Timo Laine pioneered the technology when it was still in its infancy stage, so this effort from 1976 may not entirely convince fans of Alan Holdsworth -- not because Laine is not a talented (although not exceptional) guitarist, but because of the limitations of the instrument. The guitarist is backed by drummer John Lowery and keyboardist David Stone. Symphonic Slam is full of the spirit of the '70s: bombastic arrangements, crosses between rock and fusion, lyrics about becoming better persons, etc. Laine's voice is close to Brian Auger's -- it delivers the goods, but has nothing distinctive -- while his music stands somewhere between Mahogany Rush, Santana, and Stanley Clarke. Highlights include the prog rock-ish "Universe" and the rock song "I Won't Cry." The French label Musea reissued Symphonic Slam in 2001. The master tapes show their age, unless the problem resides in the bass register of the synthesizer, but some basslines sound distorted. Aficionados of the guitar synth will want this album as a reference, but the music and attitude followed mainstream FM standards too closely to deserve any more attention.

For You The Old Woman by Mirthrandir (1976)

Quote MIRTHRANDIR was an obscure progressive band from New Jersey formed in 1973 during the heyday of YES. This band played a complex and elaborated music based on breaks, contrasts and refinement. There are plenty of vintage Moog's and Hammond organs. The flute is also an interesting addition to the sound. The group subtly mixed influences of GENTLE GIANT, KING CRIMSON, UK, YES and EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER.
"For You The Old Women" is an album of progressive rock with flute, keyboards, long tracks and lots of rhythm changes. Led by keyboards and guitar, the compositions are all very much in the traditional "prog" style, with alternating moods, shifting time changes, and competent vocals that remind of Derek Shulman of GENTLE GIANT at times. This is an album that grows on you with each repeated listening. One of the best American progressive rock albums of the 70's.

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2014 at 04:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:58
Easy does it Svetonio. Why don't you wait a little while, so as he can get back to you on the recs you've already thrown his way? 

- Douglas Adams
Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:05
no guys...you're a bit out of the style. Im searching something like this one. Filtered and robotic voice in some parts like Rockets, melodic line at begin and hard rock structure after, nice moog solo followed by good guitars interlude and all isn't complex at all.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:26
Did you try this one?

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Btw: I figure you already know Pablo 'El Enterrador' right? I've seen many early Neo prog afficionados drool over this album. 
If not, here's a wee tasteSmile

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 21:07
Originally posted by Aragon Aragon wrote:

no guys...you're a bit out of the style. Im searching something like this one. Filtered and robotic voice in some parts like Rockets, melodic line at begin and hard rock structure after, nice moog solo followed by good guitars interlude and all isn't complex at all.

If foreign language does not bother you, maybe you'll like the song Prvi Sneg (engl. "First Snow") from the 1977 debut album Moje Bube (engl. "My Bugs") by ex-Yugoslavian acoustic / progressive rock ensemble SUNCOKRET (engl. "Sunfllower")

The song is actually composed by Belgrade's artist Dušan Mihajlović (aka Dr.Spira, now based in London) who is already in PA.

edit: Also you can try this song (engl. "Awaiting for my hit") from one and only album (engl. "World over which I walk", 1977) by NEPOČIN, ex-Yugoslavian progressive rock band.

No filtered voices, though Embarrassed

Edited by Svetonio - August 29 2014 at 02:15
 Post Reply Post Reply