Topic ClosedGenesis News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:43
You're probably right. 
Let's cross our fingers for the prospect of yet a new generation of youngsters roaming the PA airwaves making tons of new Genesis polls like it was going out of fashion (which they funnily never seem to do).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:48
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Unless this compilation has "The Movement" on it, or something as interesting all I can say is
It looks like "The Movement" was piled on the fans.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:53
^
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:04
I saw Phil Collins on that TV program "Later With Jools Holland", and he looked about done. If he's on board for a new album, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be good, naturally. And don't bring in Ray Wilson!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:06
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Is that all there is? More than ever I feel tempted to give a one star rating in advance (of course accompanied by a blind (p)review to put in some more weight): Poor, only for completionists.
I quit Disapprove.

Thanks.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 13:43
"Cha-ching!"  Cashing in again.  This is why people steal music off the internet.  Because music distribution keeps repackaging and nothing new gets done.   Example:  Let's put together stuff people already have and then drop a track or 3 in there that people may not have.   THIS is why people steal music.  I dont know whether to blame the artist or the music "industry".

As far as Genesis goes, quit dicking us around.  Either perform (at a reasonable price) or make new music or quit.   But all this crap about reunions and who doesn't get along with who... It's turning me off to one of my most favorite bands.  If you are going to make music... MAKE MUSIC.. if not, shut up and disappear with honor.  This recycling and repackaging is like a middle finger to loyal fans that have been following you for years.   SHAME SHAME SHAME.  I find this whole venture REPULSIVE.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 14:26
Yeah, I have to admit, its pretty disappointing.  I wish I hadn't seen this thread yesterday to get my hopes up. Ouch
Snowbound1997 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:27
I feel betrayed. The only way they can redeem my respect at this point is if they do an accompanying tour with it. If they hadn't hyped it up and had just announced the compilation without the preceding announcement with the new logo, i wouldn't have been mad at all, just slightly annoyed. But they damn well KNOW fans are craving a new album, and this just feels like a cruel joke. 
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:42
i personally don't mind this actually, but i understand your disappointment for this. a reunion would've been cool.
Progrockdude
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 21:04
The best Genesis albums have already been made. Chances this legendary prog band would get back together and record a new album is VERY unlikely. Let's face they're just beating a dead horse. As for the compilation album, who cares? I sure don't. I already own their best albums and I don't need something compiled from someone sitting behind a desk telling me this is 'quintessential' Genesis. Let's all just applaud the band for their past successes and move along.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 21:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It's just the ordinary 'watering-down' of the language - be that the English or the Danish. Believe you me, we get it here too. It's everywhere I look. It's why words like 'super' and 'extra-ordinary' are flung around so often. 
Then again, 'Mildly Interesting Genesis News' isn't exactly going to shake your tree... 

Yes, but they didn't have to try and create expectation saying that they would have exciting news the next day. They could just have given the news and be done with it. If you announce something like exciting news, and they don't end up being so, well they will end up dissapointing the people who's attention they wanted to atract. Now, about the news of the compilation itself, I would only find it interesting if they included the whole Dodo song and if they restored the original plan of doing the Duke suite (I guess it would be fairly easy to edit the songs in such a way). Perhaps throw in a few unreleased tracks and that's it.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

The best Genesis albums have already been made. Chances this legendary prog band would get back together and record a new album is VERY unlikely. Let's face they're just beating a dead horse. As for the compilation album, who cares? I sure don't. I already own their best albums and I don't need something compiled from someone sitting behind a desk telling me this is 'quintessential' Genesis. Let's all just applaud the band for their past successes and move along.

You are probably right--BUT I think you could argue that if any super group could possibly still produce a great album it might be the original line-up or at least the Trick line up because Banks and Hackett in particular are still coming up with some great melodies.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 23:19
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

You are probably right--BUT I think you could argue that if any super group could possibly still produce a great album it might be the original line-up or at least the Trick line up because Banks and Hackett in particular are still coming up with some great melodies.

I would love more than anybody for a Gabriel, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford, and Collins reunion album, but I don't think this will happen nor do I think the Trick line-up will happen. It's not really a question of who is capable of coming up with new material, but rather if all members involved are on the same page and really want to start writing again, which, again, is very unlikely.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 03:40

I would love more than anybody for a Gabriel, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford, and Collins reunion album, but I don't think this will happen nor do I think the Trick line-up will happen. It's not really a question of who is capable of coming up with new material, but rather if all members involved are on the same page and really want to start writing again, which, again, is very unlikely.
The thing is, unlike some others of the dinosaurs who were left broke and can really use the profits of a reunion, both the Genesis Trio and Peter Gabriel have made a lot of money anyway (Hackett probably less but I guess he can still pay his bills), so the financial pressure for a reunion is not there in this case.

What I really do not get is why the hell do you make a new logo for a compilation album?????? a compilation is a look at the past, it's completely stupid to label a compilation with a brand new logo Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:26
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

The thing is, unlike some others of the dinosaurs who were left broke and can really use the profits of a reunion, both the Genesis Trio and Peter Gabriel have made a lot of money anyway (Hackett probably less but I guess he can still pay his bills), so the financial pressure for a reunion is not there in this case.

What I really do not get is why the hell do you make a new logo for a compilation album?????? a compilation is a look at the past, it's completely stupid to label a compilation with a brand new logo Confused

Well, no, the Genesis members have plenty of money, but that's not really my point. My point is that an album of new material is unlikely because all of the members aren't on the same page. Gabriel has also mentioned before that he's not interested in writing music under the badge of Genesis anymore. Also, Banks said he wouldn't be involved in a reunion unless Gabriel was going to be involved.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:37

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Well, no, the Genesis members have plenty of money, but that's not really my point. My point is that an album of new material is unlikely because all of the members aren't on the same page. Gabriel has also mentioned before that he's not interested in writing music under the badge of Genesis anymore. Also, Banks said he wouldn't be involved in a reunion unless Gabriel was going to be involved.

Nailed it.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:50
Gabriel has said many times the only thing he'd be sorta interested in doing is Lamb Live and possibly Supper's Ready, both pieces he's proud of and thinks about--- but Hackett has said a live show with Peter will never happen--and Banks has said many times Hackett would only be involved if Gabriel was involved---which pisses me off as the Seconds Out line up is just as interesting to me as the line up with Gabriel--and we all know Hackett would love to do it. So yeah, ---not going to happen.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 19:00
I bought tickets for the new Genesis Tour...gonna be sweet!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 22:21
Well, then at least there could be a joint tour of Hackett, Collins and Rutherford. Perhaps even Anthony Phillips
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 22:39
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Gabriel has said many times the only thing he'd be sorta interested in doing is Lamb Live and possibly Supper's Ready, both pieces he's proud of and thinks about--- but Hackett has said a live show with Peter will never happen--and Banks has said many times Hackett would only be involved if Gabriel was involved---which pisses me off as the Seconds Out line up is just as interesting to me as the line up with Gabriel--and we all know Hackett would love to do it. So yeah, ---not going to happen.

This is interesting considering that Banks considers Wind & Wuthering to be one of the band's best efforts and Gabriel was nowhere in sight around this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>