Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDancing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dancing?
    Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:03
A common characteristic among my few progger friends is that none of us is fond of dancing, and if we ever try we are pretty bad at it (if we ever 'dance' to our beloved Prog songs it's frequently more airplaying than actually dancing).

Which in a sense might sound strange since we are music lovers and have a decent sense of rhythm. Being musical and being accustomed to understand complex rhythms could in principle be an advantage for one's ability to dancing.

I guess that culturally we grew up with dancing being associated to either our parents generation (big band music etc) or to disco, neither of which did fit with our vision of what good rock music should be like, and unconsciously we rejected developing a taste for dancing?

What about you?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:10
What's dancing? ... No, no, I'm serious: what is it really for? It has no practical use, it's not a form of artistic expression. Its aesthetic value is obscure to me, if it's there at all. The very knowledge that some people get the drive to move to music in a way that is recognized as dancing to this day mystifies me. I used to do some trad. Russian folk dancing back in school. Boy, I was a tool! Didn't know why I was doing it.

But, Gerard, like you and your progger friends, I do get the drive to react, to move to music. (The Mahavishnu Orchestra or Porcupine Tree, anybody?) I can "get down". Isn't dancing a physical reaction to music?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 22 2014 at 03:17
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:51
I can dance to everything. I don't care how I look, and I couldn't give a rat's ass about what others think of me. Maybe that's key to understanding, and indeed commencing with, dancing? I don't know, but I have on quite a few occasions been complimented on the way that I move on various dancefloors, so I guess I must be doing something right. 
I'm not a huge fan of the ol' swing low Sally one-two-three one-two-three bow and turn - move your female around the box. I remember having to take a salsa course in high school though which was damn fun. I guess it's what Americans call prom night, but here in Denmark it's called Årsfest (The Annual Year Party or something to that effect...) and the party is often centred around the French dance of Lancier, but this year they were bringing in an authentic salsa band to follow the traditional proceedings. Meaning that 6 months prior to Årsfesten, we started having salsa lessons in the gym. Seeing as it wasn't mandatory to be there, it turned out I was the only guy that showed up. Neither of my friends were interested. That meant all the girls in the world for yours truly - plus the fact that I actually learned to shake dat ass....latin style. 

Also I've been part of the underground electronic scene in Copenhagen for a good while now, and I gather most people there like to dance. It's not an odd thing to do, and there are just as many men doing strange moves and jitters as there are women. Anyways, this kind of dancing really speaks to me. The music becomes this hypnotic entity, and if you're able to let your inhibitions go and just move about to the beats and swirling soundscapes, then you sometimes get elevated to a place where Shamans and Indians normally only venture. You communicate with your body and the music, and even if you've never met the people surrounding you, you sense a connection there beyond what you'd ever be able to deduce from mere talking. The dancing becomes an otherworldly language, and you along with everyone around becomes this living breathing mass of flesh - all attuned into the same vibe and flow.

To some of you that may come off as Hippiedippy non-sense dressed in modern electronic sounds, but when you live and breathe it - if only for a weekend, you'll know what I'm on about. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 04:10
^ the ArseFest? that sounds kinky lol LOL
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 04:14
My wife teaches salsa. She tells me that I've got a better feel for rhythm than a lot of people. I put that down to listening to prog, and appreciating its rhythms.

I can shake it too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 04:14
LOL
.....not 'A' but 'Å'Tongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 04:17
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

My wife teaches salsa. She tells me that I've got a better feel for rhythm than a lot of people. I put that down to listening to prog, and appreciating its rhythms.

I can shake it too.

Handshake
Two proggers salsaing?
There are surely stranger things out there. Scott Walker's recent oevre for instance.

- Douglas Adams
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 04:21
LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 04:26
inhibitions yes, that´s always been an issue for me. Even when I´m drunk like hell I can´t dance. I feel incredibly silly. Maybe if the Places I went actually played music worth dancing to, like "Unquestionable Presence" by Atheist, then I´d lose my inhibitions and dance like a madman Headbanger
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:01
LOL
I'd like to see that

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:33
Nope.   Not gonna do it.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:45
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Nope.   Not gonna do it.
Not even to Roll The Bones? Wink

Edited by Gerinski - August 22 2014 at 05:45
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:52
I have waaaay more rhythm and sense of time when playing an instrument than I do flailing my skinny ass around on the dance floor LOL.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:00
I hear the beat, and jump out of my seat, but I can't compete, cause I'm a....

DANCIN' FOOOOOOOOOL
I'm a 
DANCIN' FOOOOOOOOOL

No, I'm afraid I'm the classic example of a music snob with a stick up my butt, and consider dancing to be gauche and non-intellectual.  I used to do it, at least as a means of parodying the "art of the dance", which was more like synchronized swimming without the water.  My wife and I did such an "interpretive dance routine" at our wedding in front of everybody, so everybody remembers me that way.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:04
LOL
From seeing your moves on stage (YouTube thingy), I can vividly imagine you going about such a dance. I am myself a great patron of swimdancing. 

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:48
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Nope.   Not gonna do it.

Not even to Roll The Bones? Wink

Strictly toe tapping, head nodding, and air drums when it comes to Rush.

These guys display some of my best moves.   

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

What's dancing? ... No, no, I'm serious: what is it really for?

It's for picking up girls. It's a male fertility ritual.

Unless you count pogoing & headbanging then I'm not much of a dancer, though I have been know to do a little chair dancing at particularly funky concert. The last gig I danced at was probably Alamaailman Vasarat at RIO, those guys swing. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 07:08
Dancing seems to be mostly about attracting the opposite sex. I am good at neither. Dancing means as much to me as collecting moss samples.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 07:32
It's not that I'm into the sausage, but I feel just as comfortable dancing around with a bunch of my guy friends. Sometimes it's even preferable if you're doing crazy moves that often will scare off the feminine creatures.

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 07:45
If jumping around shaking your hair in response to some rhythmic aural simulation  (ie "the freak-out") is considered dancing, then I am aware of the phenomenon and there may be some people still living who may have witnessed me in the throws of such an activity at various gigs at sometime in the past. The modern equivalent of this would be called the head-bang, a method of musically stimulated unrestrained upper body movement that probably derives from this archaic hippy-dance.

Probably.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>