Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog Rock Visions, Visuals, and Sentimentalites!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Rock Visions, Visuals, and Sentimentalites!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Rock Visions, Visuals, and Sentimentalites!
    Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:02
I was inspired to make this thread based off of the "Prog Subtleties" thread, which I actually misinterpreted and sort of waxed nostalgic in LOL.

The purpose of this thread is to describe in detail what particular parts of your favorite prog pieces causes you to visualize or "feel" every time you listen. Where does the music take you to? Where are you transported? Do you get sentimental and nostalgic like I do?

Here are my examples to make this a bit more clear:

The way the 'tron sounds during the chorus "I Talk to The Wind" by KC, as well as the flute/guitar lead. That particular song transports me to a late summer/early fall day in 1969 (despite being born in 1988), laying in a wheat field and watching a cloudy sky roll by with the sun dipping through on occasion. Something about the production of that particular record is like the apex of the prog archetype for me.

The random noises in "The Gates of Delirium" and "The Revealing Science of God"; particularly the steel guitar sounds that reverberate/wah in and out before "You move fast...you tell me..." etc.

The way the low-end snaps in during the first "Now that you're fine now that you're whole..." in Close to The Edge just before the off-time vocals "My eye eclipsed with..."; Squire's/Bruford's groove here is godly.

Pretty much all of "Supertwister" by Camel, especially the flute solo. I think I've waxed nostalgia in another thread about how that part makes me feel like I'm looking out a window on a mid-winter's day, sipping a hot beverage and having existential orgasms LOL.

So, what are your prog visions, visuals, and sentimentalities?

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 23 2014 at 08:04
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:07
this may sound funny, but i usually mix this music up with anime, just any particular song, some more than others. and also a side note, im still waiting for an AMV with a Yes song being used!!!
Progrockdude
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:13
Doesn't sound funny at all! My mind is like a TV when I'm listening to prog, lol.
Wallace The Lad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:29
"Three Friends" track "Schooldays" gets me thinking on Cunningham School grade 1-6    vast playground and the vicious schooltime pastime of   "bulldog".

You wans tracks that mention or effuse nostalgia?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:31
Bo Hansson's   "The Old Forest" brings on pleasant memories of going mushroom-hunting wif me dad.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:51
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Doesn't sound funny at all! My mind is like a TV when I'm listening to prog, lol.

hmmmm, i see. now they need to put more prog in that in the real world, that along with anime. the closest that got was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Edited by Michael678 - August 23 2014 at 09:00
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:15
Originally posted by Wallace The Lad Wallace The Lad wrote:

"Three Friends" track "Schooldays" gets me thinking on Cunningham School grade 1-6    vast playground and the vicious schooltime pastime of   "bulldog".

You wans tracks that mention or effuse nostalgia?

All of your examples are great! I was speaking in very general terms; it doesn't have to be tracks that have the word "forest" in the title that remind you of a personal time (though that still counts) - I was talking more in the sense of tones, sounds, and subtleties that transport your imagination to another time. 

For example, the production on the first King Crimson record makes me feel like I'm listening to it in late 1969; it's a special kind of magic that takes you to another realm whenever you listen.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:37
Too many to mention for me, however, my favorite is the last part of "The Musical Box", which touches me deep into my soul. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:39
The majority of Bitches Brew has me feeling like I'm in a poorly-lit lounge, smoking cannabis through a water pipe, and drinking really strong coffee LOL.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:41
I'm not good with visual imagination unfortunely, my visual images are from memories associated to the music. What I can imagine while listening to prog is the satisfaction of playing the music: when I close my eyes I can imagine myself playing; feeling the piano keys and the guitar strings on my fingertips and getting an incredible warm feeling and shivers on my head Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:47
^That sounds like a pretty accurate type of feeling to me, Meltdowner! I just personally have very strong, sentimental and nostalgic visuals and memories. I'm a musician as well, and I often visualize playing off-time/odd-meter parts in front of large crowds in the 70's...

Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I'm not good with visual imagination unfortunely, my visual images are from memories associated to the music. What I can imagine while listening to prog is the satisfaction of playing the music: when I close my eyes I can imagine myself playing; feeling the piano keys and the guitar strings on my fingertips and getting an incredible warm feeling and shivers on my head Smile

i do that sometimes myself as well.
Progrockdude
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:02
Your triggering "sounds" request is a difficult one.

Genesis , the atmos-bit at the vewry end of Dancing With The Moonlit Knight

Wallace would much rather do nostalgia  in the lyrics  (which is not  that easy either)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:03

Wallace would much rather do nostalgia  in the lyrics  (which is not  that easy either)

Lyrics totally count, man! They don't have to be mental visuals or nostalgic memories; what do the words trigger within you? Tongue
Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:10
Subdivisions really brings me back to highschool, the video images are really strong, everytime I listen to it, I'm there again, the cymbals do all the work to bring those memories alive.

Steve howe's Turbulence album, song, Running the human race and Fine line, The guitar solo and timing, the electric congas on the second one. There was a very special moment where I was on a boat, cruising along my hometown coast, the water splashing on the deck, the sun in front of us, the movement, the smell of the diesel engine running, seaguls singing, the warmth of the moment always goes back to me, and even today, after all these years, when I am on the boat, and the scenery is right, this song plays on my mind without warning.

To be over from Relayer, for me that song is lying on the grass lookin at the sky, the clouds moving, the sound of the wind, the Moraz melotron makes the perfect mach with what I am seeing in my mind, that song goes away so quickly, it's like a 2 min song on my head, time flyes so smoothly when I play it.

The moody Blues Candle of life. The voices on that one has a very pleasing effect on me, I feel like a higher power is speaking to me, it embraces me, the words and tone of Mike Pinder really make that song magical for me.

Again the Moody blues, from A question of balance, Dawning is the day, again the production was excellent, the Hayward voices work so accurate, the words and the tone, the bass line, that works kind of as a mantra ( is the way that I see it) if that song  is playing, I got to stop and listen, it's a message to me, not just a song. The voice is really intimate and personal, a treat to the ears. The production on that albums put me on the early 70's, even though I was born in the late 70's.

Here's another weird thing, Santana Borboletta album, song, Promise of a fisherman (try flor de canela and promise of a fisherman together), well, after the long instrumental interlude, with heavy percussion and guitar sounds all over, comes a very peculiar sound, the human voices make their apparence, so smoothly, so calmly, the tone changes and it brings to me a very strong (something) inside of me, it's like seeing your loved one after a very long time apart, it's something hard to explain, it always brings a smile on my face, I can't help it, I am happy to be alive, happy to know this music, happy to enjoy this moment, this moment is the only thing that matters, the time to live is NOW, it brings me a new way of seeing the present, the instrumental interlude again drives you away, but when the melody and the human voice comes again to follow up the guitar cadence, it put's me again on the present time, happy, with that tickle, inside, aware of my luck and the joy that I am feeling.

The list goes on and on, but I donīt want to make a really long post, maybe later on I will throw a few lines more, I like this threat. And it's only music, no altered state of mind induced thoughts, that not the way I play, music is enough to take me away.

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 23 2014 at 10:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:18
Originally posted by Hans il mercante Hans il mercante wrote:

Subdivisions really brings me back to highschool, the video images are really strong, everytime I listen to it, I'm there again, the cymbals do all the work to bring those memories alive.

Steve howe's Turbulence album, song, Running the human race and Fine line, The guitar solo and timing, the electric congas on the second one. There was a very special moment where I was on a boat, cruising along my hometown coast, the water splashing on the deck, the sun in front of us, the movement, the smell of the diesel engine running, seaguls singing, the warmth of the moment always goes back to me, and even today, after all these years, when I am on the boat, and the scenery is right, this song plays on my mind without warning.

To be over from Relayer, for me that song is lying on the grass lookin at the sky, the clouds moving, the sound of the wind, the Moraz melotron makes the perfect mach with what I am seeing in my mind, that song goes away so quickly, it's like a 2 min song on my head, time flyes so smoothly when I play it.

The moody Blues Candle of life. The voices on that one has a very pleasing effect on me, I feel like a higher power is speaking to me, it embraces me, the words and tone of Mike Pinder really make that song magical for me.

Again the Moody blues, from A question of balance, Dawning is the day, again the production was excellent, the Hayward voices work so accurate, the words and the tone, if that song  is playing, I got to stop and listen, it's a message to me, not just a song. The voice is really intimate and personal, a treat to the ears. The production on that albums put me on the early 70's, even though I was born in the late 70's.

The list goes on and on, but I donīt want to make a really long post, maybe later on I will throw a few lines more, I like this threat.

Clap!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Lyrics totally count, man! They don't have to be mental visuals or nostalgic memories; what do the words trigger within you? Tongue

Maybe that's why I don't have mental images: I usually don't pay attention to lyrics while I'm listening. Although I have some mental images when I'm listening to prog sung in portuguese, probably because it doesn't take much effort to concentrate on the lyrics, compared to music sung in english
Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:32
Here's another weird thing, Santana Borboletta album, song, Promise of a fisherman (try flor de canela and promise of a fisherman together), well, after the long instrumental interlude, with heavy percussion and guitar sounds all over, comes a very peculiar sound, the human voices make their apparence, so smoothly, so calmly, the tone changes and it brings to me a very strong (something) inside of me, it's like seeing your loved one after a very long time apart, it's something hard to explain, it always brings a smile on my face, I can't help it, I am happy to be alive, happy to know this music, happy to enjoy this moment, this moment is the only thing that matters, the time to live is NOW, it brings me a new way of seeing the present, the instrumental interlude again drives you away, but when the melody and the human voice comes again to follow up the guitar cadence, it put's me again on the present time, happy, with that tickle, inside, aware of my luck and the joy that I am feeling.

The list goes on and on, but I donīt want to make a really long post, maybe later on I will throw a few lines more, I like this threat. And it's only music, no altered state of mind induced thoughts, that not the way I play, music is enough to take me away.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:37

And it's only music, no altered state of mind induced thoughts, that not the way I play, music is enough to take me away.

That's my point of view too Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 10:41

That's exactly the point; the music is the stimulus. I can't wait to read your longer posts; everything so far has been incredible to read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>