FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime Travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time Travel
    Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:11
I saw Back to the Future last night and was inspired to create this thread(although Marty and Doc were only in the 1950s and 1980s). If you had the time to lose an open mind and time to choose when in time would you time travel to?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:20
acourding to Brian Greene it can happen, even With Worm holes or With black holes, pick Your favourite, With Worm holes you travel backwards and With black holes you travel forward.

Edited by Icarium - August 23 2014 at 17:20
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:22
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I saw Back to the Future last night and was inspired to create this thread(although Marty and Doc were only in the 1950s and 1980s). If you had the time to lose an open mind and time to choose when in time would you time travel to?
watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpgGJaQfrgE
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 18:10
Time travel is possible.  I bet you're doing it right now.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 18:45
Well, this has been couple minutes I have no interest in reliving.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 20:35
Interesting that I go from watching the anime Steins:Gate to seeing a thread about time travel.

While I'm willing to acknowledge the existence of it, it doesn't seem to have been made possible at this moment, aside from Rob's sarcastic remarks. Wink
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 21:03

"The greatest proof that time travel isn't possible is that no future selves have yelled at me to stop messing the heck up." -- T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics 
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 21:06
Seems to me you wouldn't travel through time, time would travel through you.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 00:07
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Clap

Why did you waste your time then?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:47
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Clap

Why did you waste your time then?

*Bleeps and bloops of PONG machine* Wink

I'd like to revisit everything from pretty much the 60's - 90's.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 06:05
Most of the times I put my headphones on is for traveling back to the 1970's.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 13:14
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

acourding to Brian Greene it can happen, even With Worm holes or With black holes, pick Your favourite, With Worm holes you travel backwards and With black holes you travel forward.

With wormholes you’re basically punching a hole through space or space/time. Depending on where exactly the other side of the Einstein-Rosen bridge ends up, you should be able to go either forwards or backwards in time.  Black holes are a total mystery; they may even lead to another universe.  We may be living inside a black hole, no one can say for sure.

If space and time are interwoven as space/time, I’d imagine it would be possible to go back in time by going back in space.  For instance, to travel back 1 year, you would have to trek to the same exact point in space you were one year ago.

I would not want to go back to earths historical past; it was filled with even more ignorance than today.  Mostly I’m inferring to spiritual ignorance or spiritual unawareness.  Because of this, barbaric savagery still plagues a lot of our world, but it is getting better.

I’d like to take a peak in another 1000 years or so, by then humanity will be either humane or extinct.  The music and the technology should be astonishing...

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 18:49
To visit, I would travel to the far, far future.  Probably as far in the future as I could travel while the Earth is still habitable.  See if I can run across and Eloi or Morlocks.  Then I'd travel back to the 70's and stay there.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:14
Back to mid-May in 1987 to just as I was about to smoke my first cigarette.

I'd punch myself right up the bracket & tell me not to do it!

My then-me would as a result wonder who the short haired bearded chap was & report my now-me to the local police (in Austria) resulting in my now-me's imprisonment, thus creating a time cycle which I'd probably fall off from as they don't come fitted with stabilisers.

What was the question again?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:20
LOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:42
The greatest and funniest time-travel sci-fi story I have ever read is probably the first chapter in Stanislav Lem's The Star Diaries called 'The Seventh Voyage', where protagonist Ijon Tichy's spacecraft goes through a series of 'time vortices' which cause him to coexists with several copies of himself at slightly different times. The story is cleverly woven so that the different versions of him interact with each other without actually creating any obvious paradox. Really funny, read it if you like this sort of stuff.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 13:24

The One, starring Jet Li is also a good watch.  Li hunts down and tries to kill all variations of himself in alternate universes.  Each variation that he kills he gets a little stronger. Li believes that if he kills them all he will become god like, “the one”.   Ironically, one variation of himself is a multiverse officer that also gets stronger and seeks to bring him to justice.

Edited by CosmicVibration - August 27 2014 at 13:25
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 13:54
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

With wormholes you’re basically punching a hole through space or space/time. Depending on where exactly the other side of the Einstein-Rosen bridge ends up, you should be able to go either forwards or backwards in time.  Black holes are a total mystery; they may even lead to another universe.  We may be living inside a black hole, no one can say for sure.

Black holes and the stuff they are made of are in our universe, their mass bends our spacetime so clearly the stuff is not 'gone to some other universe', it's still in our universe. General Relativity fails at explaining what happens at their center but that's no reason to invoke esoteric speculations. This is not saying black holes are mundane, I tend to think that they hold some relevant 'meaning' in the structure of spacetime which we do not fully understand yet, but we need not speculate beyond what is necessary.

And no, we are certainly not living inside a black hole, where did you get that from?

If space and time are interwoven as space/time, I’d imagine it would be possible to go back in time by going back in space.  For instance, to travel back 1 year, you would have to trek to the same exact point in space you were one year ago.

There is no absolute space without time, the universe is expanding, you can not 'go back to 'the same exact point in space you were one year ago', that point in spacetime existed only one year ago and will never exist again (unless the universe is cyclic).

I would not want to go back to earths historical past; it was filled with even more ignorance than today.  Mostly I’m inferring to spiritual ignorance or spiritual unawareness.  Because of this, barbaric savagery still plagues a lot of our world, but it is getting better.

Not so sure...
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:15
"that point in spacetime existed only one year ago and will never exist again." - That is only true if you believe that only the present exists, that the past and future have no existence once we have traveled from the past and until we travel to the future. I'm at point A now in space. If I travel to point B in space, point B existed prior to my arrival there, and point A still exists even though I am no longer there. The same is true of time. I traveled from point A in time to point B in time during the course of this paragraph. Both exist. A doesn't disappear from existence just because I am no longer there.

"Time is a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff." - The Doctor

Edited by The Doctor - August 27 2014 at 14:17
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:27
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

"that point in spacetime existed only one year ago and will never exist again." - That is only true if you believe that only the present exists, that the past and future have no existence once we have traveled from the past and until we travel to the future. I'm at point A now in space. If I travel to point B in space, point B existed prior to my arrival there, and point A still exists even though I am no longer there. The same is true of time. I traveled from point A in time to point B in time during the course of this paragraph. Both exist. A doesn't disappear from existence just because I am no longer there.

"Time is a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff." - The Doctor
No, you are still thinking of space and time as separate entities, there is only one entity and it is space-time, there are no coordinates in space and no coordinates in time, one coordinates in space-time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>