Topic ClosedTime Travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 21:21
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Ok, since nobody seems to wants to actually answer the question and all you keep posting is smart responses, I'll be the first one: 

September 17th 1442 at 21:31 

Ok.  I'll ask since no one else has.  Where?  And why?  That was pretty dang specific. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 21:52
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Ok, since nobody seems to wants to actually answer the question and all you keep posting is smart responses, I'll be the first one: 
Ok.  I'll ask since no one else has.  Where?  And why?  That was pretty dang specific. 

I believe that was the moment Keith Richards bought his first guitar.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 23:25
No, it just sounds like a good date. Man I'm the only one answering the damn question and all I get is further questioning
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 23:35

To visit, I would travel to the far, far future.  Probably as far in the future as I could travel while the Earth is still habitable.  See if I can run across and Eloi or Morlocks.  Then I'd travel back to the 70's and stay there.  

My answer from page 1.  WinkTongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 23:50
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I saw Back to the Future last night and was inspired to create this thread(although Marty and Doc were only in the 1950s and 1980s). If you had the time to lose an open mind and time to choose when in time would you time travel to?
1) I wouldn't want to lose an open mind. 2) I wouldn't even pick a time and date; that'd screw up the time-space continuum. But if you put a gun against my head, just so that I would take the risk, I'd have to say: England, late 60's, somewhere around 1967-68. That should give me enough time to assemble a band and break through with my silly, dated ideas by the standards of 2014. And I'd probably see Renaissance live at the Carnegie Hall for ... cheap prices? ... Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 27 2014 at 23:55
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 03:07
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I believe that was the moment Keith Richards bought his first guitar.

Close - it was when Status Quo announced their first farewell tour.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 08:32

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

That is the best explanation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy that I've ever heard. Good job, CV.   
Sorry I must have missed something. What was 'the best explanation of the 2nd Law and of Entropy you ever heard'?

Yea, I missed it too… What I say, what I say? I want to know; unless it’s sarcastic. 

Actually, I still would want to know.  I like sarcasm, even if it’s directed towards me. Smile

There are no wins, just far-reaching and open minded discussions.  And maybe some sarcasm..

When I first opened up the thread after you had posted about Gravity being an illusion, it showed your post as completely blank.  I quoted your post directly and there was nothing in it at first.  So yeah, it was a joke. 

Yea, that was an excerpt from Through the Wormhole, season 5 episode 7, featured on the science channel.   One thing I love about the show is that each episode has top scientists giving different and opposing views on a particular subject matter. 

Actually, esoteric teachings and Einstein state that our physical reality is merely an illusion.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Archeus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 13:39

Actually, esoteric teachings and Einstein state that our physical reality is merely an illusion.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

This is obviously true, since all information we obtain about the universe is provided solely by our biological senses, which are intrinsically subjective. Even so, given that our idea of reality is directly induced by the "real" reality and its influence on our perception, it is only logical and practical that we accept it as an objective truth. Reality, however, will most likely always be out of reach for the human consciousness.

Edited by Archeus - September 01 2014 at 13:55
What about dogs? What about cats? What about chickens?
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:48
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I saw Back to the Future last night and was inspired to create this thread(although Marty and Doc were only in the 1950s and 1980s). If you had the time to lose an open mind and time to choose when in time would you time travel to?
1) I wouldn't want to lose an open mind. 2) I wouldn't even pick a time and date; that'd screw up the time-space continuum. But if you put a gun against my head, just so that I would take the risk, I'd have to say: England, late 60's, somewhere around 1967-68. That should give me enough time to assemble a band and break through with my silly, dated ideas by the standards of 2014. And I'd probably see Renaissance live at the Carnegie Hall for ... cheap prices? ... Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

The "If you had the time to lose, an open mind" was an Iron Maiden reference. Get a clue, man Tongue
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 05:09
I'd go back to the late 60's in the UK, form a band and record and release In The Court Of The Crimson King, The Yes Album, Nursery Crime and ELP's debut before the real guys composed them Big smile 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 05:16
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'd go back to the late 60's in the UK, form a band and record and release In The Court Of The Crimson King, The Yes Album, Nursery Crime and ELP's debut before the real guys composed them Big smile 

LOL reminds me of this somehow

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 08:27
Needless to say I would travel back to the golden era of progressive rock and check out all those bands live..

Then I would travel about 200 years into the future to see if Idiocracy has come true. May not need 200 years, the way things are going..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 10:16
I would go back to Liverpool in the late 1950s, learn to play the drums really well and then track down John Lennon and say to him "I hear you're looking for a drummer".

Edited by chopper - February 02 2015 at 10:21
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I would go back to Liverpool in the late 1950s, learn to play the drums really well and then track down John Lennon and say to him "I hear you're looking for a drummer".
yes I like it chopperLOL poor ringo...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:13
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Or, learn drumming from Mike Portnoy first and then making the travel. The Beatles might have been quite a different band, inventing melodic powermetal LOL 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:45
I would definitely go to the past rather than the future. There are so many unanswered questions about our past simply because you cannot believe half of what's in the history books.
I would go back and see if Lee Harvey Oswald really acted alone.
Or go back further and see if Roosevelt really knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor in advance.
Or go even further back and be standing on the beach with a bunch of Indians staring at three wooden ships and rowboats approaching the shore.
I would turn to the guy next to me and ask, "Where the hell did those white guys come from?". 
In his native tongue of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123