Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome Organ Prog Pieces

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which one of these organ driven pieces is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.25%]
3 [6.25%]
7 [14.58%]
2 [4.17%]
13 [27.08%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [31.25%]
5 [10.42%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 14:00

Wow Richardh, glad to read about the history of that such an original Pipe Organ! Just checked it out in the Wiki and it's amazing to know that it was built for the city's first dedicated concert venue in 1928, at that concert hall. This organ was described as "A Rolls-Royce" of organs, according to Wikipedia probably the only one still unaltered, as most comparable large organs have been modified, added-to or revoiced.

Just the opening track (Promenade) of that amazing ELP's live album was played on this pipe organ istalled in the Newcastle City Hall - suprised to know the importance of this Concert Hall as well, a venue for renowned orchestras and rock bands as well as for celebrity recitals in my greatfather's hometown! Yeah... Newcastle upon Tyne (Tyne the name of the river that crosses it), it is where he came from, sometimes this world looks small indeed!... Wink

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 01:54
Cheers Rick for the info. I wonder if Keith played Three Fates at the same gig? Would have been a missed opportunity you would think not to have done so.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 01:57
Oh and slightly off topic but The Five Bridges Suite was based on Lee Jacksons home town of Newcastle in reference to the bridges that cross the Tyne. Quite impressive they are indeed and a great City. Only been there once but would love to explore it further.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 04:26
There was a marvelous little album from 1969 by an outfit called Plus, "The Seven Deadly Sins."  They riffed on Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D with lyrics in a rock Gregorian style.  It sounded good on the airwaves, especially around Halloween.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Oh and slightly off topic but The Five Bridges Suite was based on Lee Jacksons home town of Newcastle in reference to the bridges that cross the Tyne. Quite impressive they are indeed and a great City. Only been there once but would love to explore it further.

Great to know this too, two of the pioneering prog rock acts connected to Newcastle in such a beautiful way! Btw I ought to buy that The Nice's masterpiece 'The Five Bridges' too! But it would be just fantastic if I bought it right there in that great City and directly autographed by the hands of that great bassist Lee Jackson - What a thrill! What a thrill!, that's what I would say indeed! (well these words are from Karn Evil 9 hahahah). Sometimes is so good to dream isn't it?

Thanks a lot Richardh, but who knows, if my dream comes true you are there too?Wink

Edited by Rick Robson - November 29 2014 at 12:39

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 03:39
That would be 'nice' indeedBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234