Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNEXT!!!! (for Yes)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXT!!!! (for Yes)
    Posted: August 26 2014 at 13:58
well i kinda remember that i thought that Going for the One was next in the new SW remixes and commented that somewhere on here as i thought it made the most logical sense as they performed that and the previous 2 SW remixes in their entireties on their last tour, but apparently i was one album too late hehehehehe (worst pun EVER Unhappy, but here's the link to get what i meant):

Progrockdude
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 01:24
Good newsThumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 03:02
Indeed, I've always thought there was something a bit "noisy" about the mix of Relayer. Probably not the right word to describe it though.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:06
i just noticed that this release comes close towards its 40th anniversary. alot of people (voting on a poll on Prog Mag's website earlier in the year i believe) were wanting one and it looks like they're getting it.
Progrockdude
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:31
I read it on Yes'  and SW's facebook page before. Great news! Is CTTE's remaster worth buying?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

I read it on Yes'  and SW's facebook page before. Great news! Is CTTE's remaster worth buying?

go ahead if you want, i already own the albums thanks to the box set i got at the beginning this month so im not really interested but it is looking very promising i tell you that
Progrockdude
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 23:50
I like the original stereo mixes of these albums just fine, but I'm a big fan of surround and for me, Mr. Wilson is the best in the business in that regard. I've loved all of his classic album 5.1 mixes that I've been able to get my hands on, including Close To The Edge. It's important to note that he does not "remaster," but "remix" these albums; he is a mixing engineer. (Those of you who know: please forgive the following crude explanation.) Mixing is the process of setting the volume levels, sound signature, and spatial position of all the tracks (instruments, vocals, effects) in the recording. Once the final mix is set, mastering is the process that, in its most basic form, prepares the mix for distribution in the appropriate end-user (listener) format. For most of Steven's mixes, the mastering is that simple, but in the industry at large, mastering is usually much more involved. A mastering engineer takes the final mix--NOT the individual tracks in the recording--and further shapes the sound of the mix much in the same way a mixing engineer does for the individual tracks within the mix. SW does not master in this way, or at all, and generally prefers that his mixes are not mastered as such.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 23:58
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

I like the original stereo mixes of these albums just fine, but I'm a big fan of surround and for me, Mr. Wilson is the best in the business in that regard. I've loved all of his classic album 5.1 mixes that I've been able to get my hands on, including Close To The Edge. It's important to note that he does not "remaster," but "remix" these albums; he is a mixing engineer. (Those of you who know: please forgive the following crude explanation.) Mixing is the process of setting the volume levels, sound signature, and spatial position of all the tracks (instruments, vocals, effects) in the recording. Once the final mix is set, mastering is the process that, in its most basic form, prepares the mix for distribution in the appropriate end-user (listener) format. For most of Steven's mixes, the mastering is that simple, but in the industry at large, mastering is usually much more involved. A mastering engineer takes the final mix--NOT the individual tracks in the recording--and further shapes the sound of the mix much in the same way a mixing engineer does for the individual tracks within the mix. SW does not master in this way, or at all, and generally prefers that his mixes are not mastered as such.

Thanks, great explanation!  

I have a very early CD of CTTE that I bought used, it is a transfer of the studio tapes to CD format.  I love it!  Sure, it has tape hiss, but I hear the mix & master just as Eddie Offord did, without the crackle & pop of vinyl (I'm not a vinyl fan).  

Re-masters seem to be a gimmick to repackage old stuff, but they seem inevitable.  A friend sent me the remastered TFTO, I really don't care for the way that they reincorporated the cut opening (ambient keyboards, Howe's guitar volume swells) into the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" since it conflicts with what I heard on vinyl for decades.   I'd love to find an older pressing of that one.  

The bonus material that they jam onto remasters is also of dubious value.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 00:04
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks, great explanation!  

I have a very early CD of CTTE that I bought used, it is a transfer of the studio tapes to CD format.  I love it!  Sure, it has tape hiss, but I hear the mix & master just as Eddie Offord did, without the crackle & pop of vinyl (I'm not a vinyl fan).  

Re-masters seem to be a gimmick to repackage old stuff, but they seem inevitable.  A friend sent me the remastered TFTO, I really don't care for the way that they reincorporated the cut opening (ambient keyboards, Howe's guitar volume swells) into the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" since it conflicts with what I heard on vinyl for decades.   I'd love to find an older pressing of that one.  

I agree with you for the most part about remasters, especially the horrid ones done by Rhino of the Yes catalogue. Thankfully, I've been getting my hands on the 1994 Remasters and have absolutely no qualms with them whatsoever. I'd love to track down the originals of my favorite Yes albums at some point, but I'm quite happy with these so far. They're quite warm and aren't compressed like those done by Rhino.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 28 2014 at 00:05
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:33

A friend sent me the remastered TFTO, I really don't care for the way that they reincorporated the cut opening (ambient keyboards, Howe's guitar volume swells) into the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" since it conflicts with what I heard on vinyl for decades.   I'd love to find an older pressing of that one.  

Interesting you should say that as they basically restored something that was cut away from the original. I wasn't sure about it at first, having been used to the original coming straight in with the vocals for years but now I like it - what do others think?
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

A friend sent me the remastered TFTO, I really don't care for the way that they reincorporated the cut opening (ambient keyboards, Howe's guitar volume swells) into the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" since it conflicts with what I heard on vinyl for decades.   I'd love to find an older pressing of that one.

Interesting you should say that as they basically restored something that was cut away from the original. I wasn't sure about it at first, having been used to the original coming straight in with the vocals for years but now I like it - what do others think?

I first heard "The Revealing Science" in this restored form, and much prefer it that way. The original vinyl edit fades in too quickly, suggesting there's something missing. To have done it right, it should have had no fade in at all, and simply cold-opened with Anderson's first entrance.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 21:08
For starters, White's magnificent drum work is not well balanced within the overall band's sound, and tha twould be repeated in GTFO, where, for instance, the congas are louder than the drum kit in 'Parallels'. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 14:45
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

I like the original stereo mixes of these albums just fine, but I'm a big fan of surround and for me, Mr. Wilson is the best in the business in that regard. I've loved all of his classic album 5.1 mixes that I've been able to get my hands on, including Close To The Edge. It's important to note that he does not "remaster," but "remix" these albums; he is a mixing engineer. (Those of you who know: please forgive the following crude explanation.) Mixing is the process of setting the volume levels, sound signature, and spatial position of all the tracks (instruments, vocals, effects) in the recording. Once the final mix is set, mastering is the process that, in its most basic form, prepares the mix for distribution in the appropriate end-user (listener) format. For most of Steven's mixes, the mastering is that simple, but in the industry at large, mastering is usually much more involved. A mastering engineer takes the final mix--NOT the individual tracks in the recording--and further shapes the sound of the mix much in the same way a mixing engineer does for the individual tracks within the mix. SW does not master in this way, or at all, and generally prefers that his mixes are not mastered as such.

so i guess that is how all of today's crappy pop songs are mixed and mastered, huh?
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply