Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [50.00%]
34 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 00:23
^ I love Octopus. It was my first taste of GG during the mid-90's. The three albums before ended up being a touch more 'in tune' with me. Most tracks (if not all) were credited to the 3 Shulman's & Minnear. What came afterwards was sensational never-the-less, but they did 'weaken' during the Interview album. I can't stand Giant For A Day, and Civilian was quite acceptable for 1980.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 03:21
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I could never get into Power and the Glory either. I've tried countless of times, mostly because I have a lot of friends who swear by it, yet it continues to leave me untouched.

Funny but for me it's Octupus that just hasn't clicked with me, despite that I went with option 1 because of the debut, Acquiring The Taste and Three Friends. Not into Interview either but in both options there's three amazing albums so it wasn't necessarily an easy choice.

I've had my Power and the Glory LP for over a decade and only really liked Proclamation, Cogs in Cog & Aspirations but a month ago or so I actually enjoyed listening to the full album for the first time (admittedly when I tried again a couple of days ago I got impatient and turned it off in the middle of No God's A Man). Something that has never happened with Free Hand.

Octopus might be my least favorite among their first four but its still my fourth favorite. Loved it at first listen. Raconteur Troubadour and A Dog's Life must be the two last easygoing, fun songs they've recorded (until the they turned silly on the Missing Piece). 

29-28. Its funny how both periods seem to have the exact same amount of fans.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 04:08
.....even The Missing Piece has its moments........Giant For A Day did not (please fetch me a LITTLE BROWN BAG, so I tell my FRIENDS about the SPOOKY BOOGIE that made me not be a GIANT FOR A DAY, after all, IT'S ONLY GOODBYE.................I didn't say it wasn't a catchy album, and I've not heard it for about 15 years !!........)
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 05:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Must be Phil Shulman's prescence ??? I don't know....... Just those first 4 albums have a lot of 'magic' in them, something that's missing afterwards. Perhaps they were more 'show-offy' (or smarty-pants) with their later confidence and chops, but that first phase......

Indeed, there must be something from Phil that is missing in their later music. I guess I should just check the writing credits to get an idea of how important was his presence. Perhaps they did were more "show-offy" on their secon phase, but for what I've heard, they were just more annoying. Actually, on the later albums still with Phil, they started to move into that sound... perhaps that's why he left? Perhaps he didn't like the direction the band was taking?

It's funny, because as great as Phil was in the band...I felt like the cohesion, intensity, and overall tightness of GG became more apparent on In A Glass House. I think they moved away from the folky aspects a bit upon his departure. Both "generations" were stellar, I just have a personal bias for everything they've done '73-'76.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 08:22
I prefer the first period
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 22:11
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Must be Phil Shulman's prescence ??? I don't know....... Just those first 4 albums have a lot of 'magic' in them, something that's missing afterwards. Perhaps they were more 'show-offy' (or smarty-pants) with their later confidence and chops, but that first phase......

Indeed, there must be something from Phil that is missing in their later music. I guess I should just check the writing credits to get an idea of how important was his presence. Perhaps they did were more "show-offy" on their secon phase, but for what I've heard, they were just more annoying. Actually, on the later albums still with Phil, they started to move into that sound... perhaps that's why he left? Perhaps he didn't like the direction the band was taking?

It's funny, because as great as Phil was in the band...I felt like the cohesion, intensity, and overall tightness of GG became more apparent on In A Glass House. I think they moved away from the folky aspects a bit upon his departure. Both "generations" were stellar, I just have a personal bias for everything they've done '73-'76.

Well, I guess it's those folky aspects which I'm missing on what I've heard from the songs after he left. Plus, that tightness just doesn't seem to click with me... specially without the folky element, it just ended up sounding annoying to me.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:38
'70-'72
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 07:36
I can tell this one will probably stay neck and neck. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 10:16
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

73-76 by a margin. Free Hand and In a Glass House are my favourite GG albums.
this
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 14:28
I choose the Octopus, In a Glass House and Power and the Glory middle years selection. So I guess no vote.      

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 30 2014 at 14:29
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
DBJetsman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:21
I feel like the later period was way more organized than the early years. In a Glass House, The Power and the Glory, and Freehand are so genius...
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:26
Originally posted by DBJetsman DBJetsman wrote:

I feel like the later period was way more organized than the early years. In a Glass House, The Power and the Glory, and Freehand are so genius...

Well said. From 73-76 they just improved on their 70-72 output IMHO.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 18:31
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Can't you add I don't know? Tongue
This. Can't vote.

I agree. I can't choose.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 02:34
The bottom line, classically speaking, is that the first period was better. It's just that the second period had catchier tunes (not reflected though in the seminal suck-fest The Power and the Glory).
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 03:10
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The bottom line, classically speaking, is that the first period was better. It's just that the second period had catchier tunes (not reflected though in the seminal suck-fest The Power and the Glory).

Although most of us enjoy both, these two periods of Gentle Giant are so polarising its getting really interesting. I'm beginning to think this might actually explain something about our other listening preferences as well.

- I simply cannot understand how its even possible to claim that the second period had catchier tunes. You and I must hear very different things? To my ears the first period is simply packed with catchyness and memorable melodies/tunes but I can't think of more than a handful from the second ...and a couple of the from The Power and the Glory. (but I still like it because there's obviously other ways for music to be great than being catchy). 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:17
If ANYBODY votes Giant For A Day as the BEST GG album, please disintegrate now before I flex my supersonic, psychic abilities to eradicate you foolish people ..................
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:31
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Although most of us enjoy both, these two periods of Gentle Giant are so polarising its getting really interesting. I'm beginning to think this might actually explain something about our other listening preferences as well.

- I simply cannot understand how its even possible to claim that the second period had catchier tunes. You and I must hear very different things? To my ears the first period is simply packed with catchyness and memorable melodies/tunes but I can't think of more than a handful from the second ...and a couple of the from The Power and the Glory. (but I still like it because there's obviously other ways for music to be great than being catchy). 

This thread is really interesting. What a contrast between opinions; I can't follow the logic that the later period was catchier at all. It amazes me that people find TPATG to be a lousy record, too. To each his/her own!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:52
The Power And The Glory is AMAZING !!!
What came before is not necessary 'better', but for my taste, I prefer that period a whole lot more....
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:45
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

This thread is really interesting. What a contrast between opinions; I can't follow the logic that the later period was catchier at all. It amazes me that people find TPATG to be a lousy record, too. To each his/her own!

There was just this dark side to the first period... . Your objection though is both eloquent and persuasive and has been duly noted.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:50

The Power And The Glory is AMAZING !!!
What came before is not necessary 'better', but for my taste, I prefer that period a whole lot more....

I find myself bouncing around the GG discography more often than not. Yes, I have my personal favorites. That doesn't diminish my appreciation for the rest of the records, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>