34 [50.00%]
34 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 04:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore both these 'phases' but I am more fascinated and blown away by the first 4 albums (and 'transitional' album Glass House) than what came after. Voted for 70-72.

All in all exactly the same as you. There's something about the whole atmosphere that changed inbetween these two periods. There's less of the dreamy, floating parts that especially Acquiring is filled in those later albums. And its replaced with something harsher, colder and more angsty so to speak. Perhaps some of the playfulness is replaced by smartness? I don't know. I find value in both approaches but definitely revisit the early years more often.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 04:55
The second one easily.
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 05:20
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore both these 'phases' but I am more fascinated and blown away by the first 4 albums (and 'transitional' album Glass House) than what came after. Voted for 70-72.

All in all exactly the same as you. There's something about the whole atmosphere that changed inbetween these two periods. There's less of the dreamy, floating parts that especially Acquiring is filled in those later albums. And its replaced with something harsher, colder and more angsty so to speak. Perhaps some of the playfulness is replaced by smartness? I don't know. I find value in both approaches but definitely revisit the early years more often.

Same here. I do like the albums from the second period, but they definitely have a colder, more technical feel to them. The music is still great, but the first four albums have --as you said-- more humor and fantasy.

Cheers.
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 05:33
^ Must be Phil Shulman's prescence ??? I don't know....... Just those first 4 albums have a lot of 'magic' in them, something that's missing afterwards. Perhaps they were more 'show-offy' (or smarty-pants) with their later confidence and chops, but that first phase......
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 05:34
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Can't you add I don't know? Tongue

This. Can't vote.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 05:35
Ahhhhh hell with it, went with 70 to 72 becasue of Acquiring the Taste and Octopus. Damn tough poll. 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:23
love all 8 albums
but my 2 faves are Three Friends and Octopus
soooo

option 1
Prog On!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:34
This was very easy. Option 1. The latter day material feels 'forced' to me, or complex for the sake of complexity. I guess Octopus has a slight taste of this, but it works for some reason. I prefer all of the albums leading up to Glass House to anything they released afterwards. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:10
I'll go with the first period. The second period is also really good, but for my personal taste, the first 4 albums take my vote.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 09:38
Option 2. But tough.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 10:41
With the exception of the unholy bore Power and the Glory, the second period.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 10:45
I could never get into Power and the Glory either. I've tried countless of times, mostly because I have a lot of friends who swear by it, yet it continues to leave me untouched.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:13
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

Same here. I do like the albums from the second period, but they definitely have a colder, more technical feel to them. The music is still great, but the first four albums have --as you said-- more humor and fantasy.

Cheers.

That's my feeling too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:15
Me three.

- Douglas Adams
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:33
First period. It was got me into Gentle Giant in the first place. Also, I think Octopus was a nice balance between the two eras.

In all honesty, I think their first seven records (s/t to Free Hand) are worth getting. With Interview, I need to give a couple more spins, but I don't hate that one.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 11:33
Went for batch two. If Interview were dropped from the second and Octopus moved into that second set instead, there wouldn't be any waffling at all for me.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

Cheers.

That's my feeling too.

Me four (Guldbamsen was three)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 19:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I could never get into Power and the Glory either. I've tried countless of times, mostly because I have a lot of friends who swear by it, yet it continues to leave me untouched.

Funny but for me it's Octupus that just hasn't clicked with me, despite that I went with option 1 because of the debut, Acquiring The Taste and Three Friends. Not into Interview either but in both options there's three amazing albums so it wasn't necessarily an easy choice.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 19:50
Acquiring the Taste is my favorite of theirs, but The Power and the Glory, Free Hand, and Interview are all pretty close behind. Batch 2.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 22:12

^ Must be Phil Shulman's prescence ??? I don't know....... Just those first 4 albums have a lot of 'magic' in them, something that's missing afterwards. Perhaps they were more 'show-offy' (or smarty-pants) with their later confidence and chops, but that first phase......

Indeed, there must be something from Phil that is missing in their later music. I guess I should just check the writing credits to get an idea of how important was his presence. Perhaps they did were more "show-offy" on their secon phase, but for what I've heard, they were just more annoying. Actually, on the later albums still with Phil, they started to move into that sound... perhaps that's why he left? Perhaps he didn't like the direction the band was taking?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>