Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you ever felt a state of Catharsis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you ever felt a state of Catharsis?
    Posted: August 26 2014 at 19:22
Hello forum, I wanna relate something to everyone and see if someone has been there too.

Let's see, 5 years ago I was being diagnosed with MS, anyway, a year went by, life was kind of showing what it would be for years to come, I went to my musical library and Change we must was the cd I played that evening. I like very much that album, is really pleasing to hear, it has a bit of everything, but thing went wrong as the music played.

I was working on stuff, listening to this beautiful and gorgeous music that I know from start to finish, but when I reached Change we must the song, I stopped doing what I was doing and started to listen carefully, a strong feeling began to emerge, the best way to explain it is, something inside went out, I began to cry like a baby for the length of the song, but I mean crying like never before, I could not stop, Jon word's were like knifes, peeling me from the inside out.

I know having a cronic disease is terrible, I am not here to talk about my condition, I just want to share what Jon Anderson did to me, with a song that I heard a thousand times before, but that day, that exact day, I was in front of a real catharsis, or at least that's how I explain what happened that evening at home.

Have anyone felt something so strong just listening to an album?,  
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 01:45
It happened to me several times, butas you have written, it's more somethingemerging from yourself that the music helps to come out. The instrumental coda of Mostly Autumn's "The Gap Is Too Wide" at very high volume, does it to me sometimes, but it's not the only track. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 01:59
Cloudless everyday you fall upon my waking eyes, inviting and inciting me to rise...

Wish you all the best Hans il mercante, and hope your treatment is going well!

Edited by Billy Pilgrim - August 27 2014 at 02:05
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 01:59
Not in the way you describe, consider it a gift.

I have, however, felt a state of catheter.   It's not fun.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 03:20
Dodgy drugs and certain albums can have that effect on you ........
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 04:38
Originally posted by Hans il mercante Hans il mercante wrote:

I stopped doing what I was doing and started to listen carefully, a strong feeling began to emerge, the best way to explain it is, something inside went out, I began to cry like a baby for the length of the song, but I mean crying like never before, I could not stop, Jon word's were like knifes, peeling me from the inside out.

I tried to write about my first cathartic experience perhaps similar to yours but it became something of a short novel far too intimate and personal for me to share here. As it involves madness, a close friend's suicide and lots of things I've never written about before. My experience  probably won't make any sense wtihout a proper context. It was actually a spoken word album Allen Ginsberg reading Kaddish about his mother and mourning her death. I had rented a CD with him performing it because I saw a documentary that ended with him reading the last part of it, and it instantly spoke to me like nothing else he's ever written. So it was actually the first time I heard to the whole half an hour of it and I have never listened to it again. I can certainly relate to words like knifes. I cried so long, hard and uncontrolled I was certain I was loosing my mind as well. But it did end at some point and after a while it felt extremely cleansing. Like walking in a forest just after it just has stopped raining. 

I've certainly had a dozen or so similar experiences after this first time. Many of them during concerts. But I'm pleased to say none were like the genuine shock of the first. Just looking up the text right now while writing gives me shivers in a slightly uncomfortable way, and I'm not planning a revisit anytime soon. 

- Hope you're doing fine all things considered. Glad you shared.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:40
First, very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. My brother-in-law has MS as did his father so I'm all to familiar with that disease. Be strong and stay positive.

The closest I ever came was after a break up with a high school girlfriend of 5 years.  We were (are?) both huge ELP fans. She was the first girl I ever met who got the music and it was something we shared intimately.  About a year after we split I happen to put on ELP's Trilogy album. As soon as Greg sang those fateful words "I've tried to mend the love that ended long ago although we still pretend, our love is surely coming to a end" I lost it. Maybe a little sappy but it never happened before and it's never happened since. Music can be a powerful trigger.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:17
I have to say it was in 1972, while listening for the first time to Jethro Tull's "Stand Up", when I got the the guitar solo in "We Used To Know", it touched me so deep it made me cry (and still does to the present day), in a way no music had before. Needless to say, it's my all time favorite song, due to that experience.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:04

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Not in the way you describe, consider it a gift.I have, however, felt a state of catheter.   It's not fun.
I know the felling.
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by SteveG - August 27 2014 at 14:33
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:29
Wow, interesting topic. 

I would guess that this is a fairly common experience on some level or another.  Music can be so situational.  You can listen to the same song for years upon years, but the one time that song hits you when you're in just the right mood, suddenly that song is forever linked with that moment.

I have a ton of them, "Love in a Space Dye Vest" always makes me think of a break up I had in my early twenties, "Ava Maria" always makes me think of my Grandmother's funeral, "The Meeting" always makes me think of the beginning of my marriage while "Sounds that I Hear" by Airbag makes me think of the end of it.  Most of the songs will, if I'm in the right mood, bring a tear to my eye.

I think the point is that music will help us connect with that one moment in time, and can be the thing that pushes the emotion out of us.  We spend so much time trying to keep our emotions in but the right song just gives us a nudge, because when you hear the lyrics that fit what you're going through, you know, that for that one moment you're not alone. 
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 00:17
^ .....it's not always lyrics that can push One to the edge...........
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 01:25
Never with prog. Just once while listening to one of Chopin's posthumous nocturnes (can't remember the key it's in), if we are talking any music at all.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 02:03
......when Nick Barrett of Pendragon takes a solo, often his choice of notes really has a massive effect on me......

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 28 2014 at 13:24
Hans il mercante View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:51
I was talking about music in general.

Edited by Hans il mercante - August 28 2014 at 11:51
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:03
^ This thread is in the Prog Music Lounge. That's why I wasn't sure.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 23:11
Ummmmm catharsis can occur in many forms of emotions, but I usually experience that joyful, amazing goosebump and sense of extreme happiness with my music. I don't really have much to say in the way of sadness, but ive. Teared up do to feeling just so unbelievably happy. Make sense? Hope so.

Anyway most recent purge of elation I was listening to THE BELLS OF NOTRE DAME by ELOY off their latest live album REINCARNATION: live on stage (2014) and I got pretty misty eyed mainly because of just how beautiful the instrumental sounded and the extremely good sound quality I was hearing it in. I just was so happy with myself that I'm experiencing something I deeply adore at a very high level.

Another would be my travel journeys. I spent 5 months in South America and every time I now hear Lisa Gerrard of DCD voice it makes me think of my beautiful adventures down south. Wonderful feeling.

Lastly. THE GREAT BELOW by NIN. Makes me think of past relationships and the great unknown if you will. This track always puts me in a pretty deep state when I hear it. Pretty powerful and very cathartic for my mind.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply