Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe queen of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 06:07
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Y'know, Kate is the first Female vocalist to achieve mega-popularity.......nothing wrong with that....

But outside the prog universe, she wasn't the first.  There were Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Aretha Franklin, and more
Stool Man, you forgot to add Nina Simone :) this is for you Hug
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 07:06
Thankyou Kati.  I forgot to add several greats, although I did say "and more" to cover my arse
rotten hound of the burnie crew
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 08:00

Y'know, Kate is the first Female vocalist to achieve mega-popularity.......nothing wrong with that....

But outside the prog universe, she wasn't the first.  There were Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Aretha Franklin, and more

And if we consider proto prog as part of the prog universe (seeing as Kate Bush is 'only' prog related), then surely Grace Slick would qualify too.  Almost anybody who's fond of classic rock has heard of Jefferson Airplane and quite possibly likes their music too.   

Edited by rogerthat - November 18 2014 at 08:02
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:40
Grace Slick is probably the first big name in female singers associated with rock who fronted a band and not just sang with one.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2014 at 10:51
Linda Perhacs
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 18:23
Olivia Sparnenn of Mostly Autumn and Breathing Space Heart
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 18:30
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

And if we consider proto prog as part of the prog universe (seeing as Kate Bush is 'only' prog related), then surely Grace Slick would qualify too.  Almost anybody who's fond of classic rock has heard of Jefferson Airplane and quite possibly likes their music too.   

Hey man. I love Grace  Heart and would have taken sloppy 3rds or 4ths from her any day of the week and twice on Sunday! LOL 

However to the point, I think what Tom may have meant, or if not I'll qualify it. Perhap Kate could be considered the first female ARTIST to achieve mega popularity. Not part of a group, not simply a vocalist.. but a creative artist in her own right.

Let's all now genuflect to the beauty and man lust of dear old Grace... as well of as in man lust of Jack himself!!! LOL I need to put this DVD on before it gets too late so I can crank it to 11!!!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 20:47
Kate ain't the first
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hey man. I love Grace  Heart and would have taken sloppy 3rds or 4ths from her any day of the week and twice on Sunday! LOL 

However to the point, I think what Tom may have meant, or if not I'll qualify it. Perhap Kate could be considered the first female ARTIST to achieve mega popularity. Not part of a group, not simply a vocalist.. but a creative artist in her own right.

Let's all now genuflect to the beauty and man lust of dear old Grace... as well of as in man lust of Jack himself!!! LOL I need to put this DVD on before it gets too late so I can crank it to 11!!!

Wow, Micky, yes, Gracey baby. So hot in her day. Lucky Jack, lucky Paul, lucky Spencer.........there's the 'sloppy 4th' for ya' Micky. I'll take 5ths then....
Bear Melt - just HEAVEN.............Aerie (Gang Of Eagles) - f**k my ole boots. Give me Grace, NOW !!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 20:11

First female ARTIST to be a mega star?  Definitely not, in a general sense.  Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell were stars and there may have benn others before them.  They may not be prog but even Kate is prog related that way.

Edited by rogerthat - November 25 2014 at 20:12
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 20:53
OK, I do believe Haslam is the Queen of Prog... but I just got my frist Iamthemorning album, and Marjana must be the Princess of prog nowdays.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 22:50
Gilmour discovered Kate Bush, to date I love her <3 xxx
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 23:42
^ ugh...Peter, you sly dog. I WONDER WHO CHOREOGRAPHED THAT ONE Wink Clap LOL
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 06:56
the only 2 I even know are Kate Bush and Annie Haslam

I love kate bush but i'd have to go with Annie Haslam as far as the question goes ..

I think of Kate bush as having prog influences, but Renaissance as being 100% prog  (my uneducated opinion)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:43
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I love kate bush but i'd have to go with Annie Haslam as far as the question goes ..

I think of Kate bush as having prog influences, but Renaissance as being 100% prog  (my uneducated opinion)

True, but it's "queen" not "female-fronted prog band." Annie Haslam is an amazing singer and I love Renaissance. Still, I can't help but think it's the creation of a band of fairly talented prog dudes who got Annie to stand out from the pack. Kate Bush on the other hand is most certainly the queen of whatever style of amazing music she has created. 
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:47
Man, no love for Yoko.  This is the lady who was trying to find the sound of air long before the Dead or John Cage....and she wasn't even a musician!  She was the queen of avant-garde art in the early 60s and when she turned to music, man, she became the queen of prog. 

Kate Bush owes Yoko a huge debt.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 13:58
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Man, no love for Yoko.  This is the lady who was trying to find the sound of air long before the Dead or John Cage....and she wasn't even a musician!  She was the queen of avant-garde art in the early 60s and when she turned to music, man, she became the queen of prog. 

Kate Bush owes Yoko a huge debt.

I thought her music was as avant-garde as her art ... didn't even occur to me that it was in any way near prog.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 16:20
Yeah, I've heard Yoko Ono. Sounds like some poor animal caught in the tar pits. Unlistenable.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 17:15

Wow, Micky, yes, Gracey baby. So hot in her day. Lucky Jack, lucky Paul, lucky Spencer.........there's the 'sloppy 4th' for ya' Micky. I'll take 5ths then....
Bear Melt - just HEAVEN.............Aerie (Gang Of Eagles) - f**k my ole boots. Give me Grace, NOW !!

haha.  Jorma was no angel either.  Marty was the only one that wanted no part of Gracey baby. So that would have left us in sloppy 5ths and 6ths
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 19:41
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

True, but it's "queen" not "female-fronted prog band." Annie Haslam is an amazing singer and I love Renaissance. Still, I can't help but think it's the creation of a band of fairly talented prog dudes who got Annie to stand out from the pack. Kate Bush on the other hand is most certainly the queen of whatever style of amazing music she has created. 

I get what you are saying but the singer doesn't exist in a vacuum, disconnected from the band.  You are not going to get a singer who can vocalise entire orchestral interludes day in day out on stage everyday.  That in itself is a progressive attitude to singing, i.e, she never questioned if people would find that weird or funny and reject it.  Having a great voice and range may be down to skill but what Annie achieved with Renaissance also requires an uncommon mindset.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>