Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (101)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
4 [44.44%]
1 [11.11%]
3 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (101)
    Posted: August 29 2014 at 01:12
Coalition : Mindsweepers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR8iCWaYsuI

Corima : Quetzacoatl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2laHcUb7M

Nazca : Estacion De Sombra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIVJEHetXuQ

Bruno Nicolai : Tempo Sospeso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNz8cXSou0
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 01:16

Los Angeles based five piece Corima are a stunning amalgamation of musicians, bridging the past foundations of Magma’s sub genre of prog rock Zeuhl and the modern musings of experimental fusion music. Zeuhl is an interesting combination of European classical forms and the avant-garde shapings of the late 60’s and 70’s era in all its varieties. To hear its re-introduction into the 21st century with a young cast of musicians is a fitting evolution and update to the original idea of the genre. With Corima, I feel the sound is launched far into the future and grafted with shades of many worlds and still lives on its own regardless of the past foundations that are present. A parallel universe of sounds that merge in and out of life forms by the measure. Every song is filled with an abundance of musical composition and directions to making music. To nail the intervals, spacing and free form embellishments that Corima achieves is a task all its own.To make it sound as tasteful and soothing as their full length Quetzalcoatl is really puts me back in my seat.

Corima’s debut album Quetzalcoatl is am overwhelming and mind blowing album to process on first contact, containing 17 tracks of shape shifting progressive oddities that is truly something new for what has been releasing in 2013. The pallet is extensive with the group, containing Ryan Kamiyamazaki on bass, Patrick Takashi Shiroishi on reeds, Andrea Calderón playing violin, Francisco Casanova added with piano and percussionist and drummer Sergio Sánchez. The entire group also contributes vocals to the project, realizing a much more ancestral base to the recording and allowing the nostalgia of the past to sit in parallel with the present. Every vocal passage is capped off by extensive twists and turns, running through dynamics that are unachievable in formal instrumental worlds. Quetzalcoatl was released in September of 2012 with the distribution help of Soleil Zeuhl and has been making a lot of noise in the underground music community.

Due to the amount of content comprised on this album I have chosen to highlight a few of my favorite pieces that I have gone back to on numerous occasion. The sixth song on the album, “Krishkalidortz”, is one that really grabs me and puts me in a hypnotic mind state. The main sections are elongated and reminiscent of Soft Machine, with prolonged sax solos and a beautiful tapestry of rhythm. It has a spiritual sound reminiscent of John Coltrane’s voice, especially as the background vocals softly compliment the main melody line. The first section breaks out into a progressive rock dance burner only to fall back into where it came from. “Khozmikh Kavhiledrios” is another song on the album that has really stuck with me on multiple listens. The second half is comprised of a phenomenal synth solo work out over a pulsing fusion rhythm. It has very long and pronounced Chick Corea sounding keyboard statements riding to the rhythms and allowing the synth to jet off into the upper stratosphere. The sax is drenched in effects as it meets the ending phrases of the synth and becomes cleaner with the re-introduction of violin. Dynamics are abound in every moment and there is always something new to grab on every listen of this track.

The albums peak comes in the 17 minute outing “Tezcatlipoca”. A cyclone of music types is presented with acrobatic like vocal tandem and synth lines. Drums are in full energetic form while bass is locking all of this creative madness in place. The violin takes a lot of sonic identity during the opening sequences, chasing the fast tempo and vocal lines with some mesmerizing soloing that comes in a little after 2 minutes in. The song is non stop layering and mind blowing technical ability through out. The rhythms continue to enlarge in collection and the type of sonic variety is out of this world. It has a Miles Davis “On The Corner” vibe for a large section of the track, grinding away at a deep voodoo funk groove. One of the most stimulating pieces of work I have heard in years.

Quetzalcoatl is one of the greatest things I have heard so far in 2013 and really contains one of the most dense body of mind blowing songs. From front to back, the album has a voyage feeling that is easy to get lost inside of. It’s the type of album that really makes me want to catch them live. Quetzalcoatl is truly something all its own and worth every second of your time.

-Erik Otis

Corima - Tezcatlipoca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crVb6WPPrcc

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 12:40

Extraordinary. The term "Library Music" arouses untoward associations with around-a-minute length music snippets destined to be used anonymously in nth-grade ads. But there were a handful of people that never succumbed to that kind of compositional nihilism really enriched those libraries with masterpieces.

One of them was Bruno Nicolai, quite famous Italian film soundtrack composer. But his non-OST soundtracks comprise almost-all-instrumental works with exquisite beauty that could rival one of the greatest Rock Progressivo Italiano releases of that era.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 18:50
The gems are back! I know the first two but not the last two; voted for Coalition.
Magma America Great Make Again
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 18:58
Welcome back mister!
I know the middle two bands and decided to pick Corima.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 21:11
Canadians are back too.Heart Thanks guys ! Plenty of things to come. Hope you'' ll ike it ! 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 21:21
Corima's album is one of the best in modern years.

Secures my vote.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 21:30
I agree, man. A must Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 00:54

Continuing shortly on from the last fusion post of Genre here's another ultra-gem dug up out of the heaps of oblivion by osurec. This is from mid-seventies and without doubt has a bit more of the earlier Soft-Machine style of prog-fusion. Here are some of the peculiarities of this particular record that make it highly worth your while:

Starting with a strong opener in C minor with an unusual chord change to F sharp (?) we move into a sax solo interlude followed by a C major composed baroque-style canon. This to me harks back to Charlie Mingus' song of the same name (I think, because that track was also in C but I might be mistaken since I haven't heard it in years).

Side two starts with a march (believe it or not) in 7/4 alternating with 9/4 which gives it that jerky sound, starting with drums and flute, and then using some really tasty strange piano chords full of jazz-dissonances to accentuate the simple melody. We then get a G7 song that recalls spring especially with the constant flute solos hovering abovehead like a pesky songbird looking for peanut butter. This then crashes abruptly into a modal E song, that is, scale of diatonic C is used for solos, no sharps. Some incredibly tough gruff electric key chords, typical modal sounds stage rhodes soloing, before returning to the G7 theme.
Quite a good record and outstanding to hear something so unknown, turn out so good. They did a second album subsequently called "Birth"...

I can only repeat how rich the mine of fusion is from this period with seemingly no bedrock in sight still. This is especially true of german late-seventies fusion, to which I would like to turn attention to shortly. In this regard there is a huge amount of impossible to hear material out there, which some feel should be hidden from the masses of humanity. It confuses me why one would want to hide from fans music that they would love, when in the first place, there are so few fans of this style still around and about, and why someone feels they need to hide it from those very few fans who are probably diminishing year by year in number. Maybe someone can explain to me the rationale in the comments section without getting too rude in the process. What is without a doubt true is that the germans adopted the progressive fusion style (just as they mastered electronics and krautrock and developed them into artforms) and really ran with it, creating some of the most amazing high-energy jazz-rock in human history since the middle ages. This should be part of the german heritage but puzzlingly it is not. Of all countries it seems as if germans are the least cognizant of their progressive past. PROGNOTFROG
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 01:03

Although "Estation de Sombra" has the same distinctly original and unique sound, which was laid out on the debut Nazca album, there are a few rather noticeable stylistic differences between these works. On "Estation de Sombra", the band refused to use the elements of Jazz-Fusion, Ethnic music, and real Avant-garde, and concentrated on the further development of the remaining genre constituents of their stylistics. On the whole, the music on the band's second album can be described as a blend of RIO, Symphonic Classical Music, and Avant-garde Classical Music, and is filled with highly complex arrangements. However, only three of the album's compositions are based on the structures of all of these three genres: Traoedia, Espacios en torno, and La morgue (tracks 2, 3, & 4). The album's title-track, Estation de sombra Mangle, and Deshueso (tracks 1, 5, & 6) represent a blend of RIO and Symphonic Classical Music. Nadja, the last track on the album, contains the structures of both of the Symphonic and Avant-garde Classical Music. Finally, En la cuerda floja & Ipecacuana (7 & 8) are "children" of a purely Symphonic Classical Music. Of course, speaking of such genre constituents of Nazca's creation as Symphonic and Avant-garde Classical Music, I have to remind you that these musicians have their own unique approach to creating of the complex musical forms. Also, Nazca are not the orchestra, but just the quintet. While there are the lack of overdubs (if not at all) on all of their albums, the sound of that small, yet excellent, very specific chamber ensemble is rich enough to call its music Classical, as in the case of this album. Here, string instruments play much more of a significant role than on the band's debut album and there are a lot of simultaneous (yet always different among themselves) passages and interplay between violin, viola, and cello on this album. As for the RIO parts that are featured six of the album's nine tracks, they are more powerful here than on "Nazca" and they don't have the traces of Univers Zero's influences at all. The seemingly endless tonal and atonal interplay between all of the band members, changes of tempo, mood, and musical directions (dimensions!) in general, the constant development of the arrangements: all of it goes throughout "Estation de sombra", as well as it was on the debut Nazca album. So I'd like to once again notice that Mexico was and still is the country which is very rich in progressive music talent.

VM. January 15, 2002 

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 02:28
I know Nazca and Corima, tha later I've been meaning to get but just didn't got around it. I know the album from bandcamp, Pierre the whole thing is streaming there.
Very good stuff and that's where my vote goes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:30
Thanks, Sag.  Love it Heart.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 12:06
My vote goes to the orchestral director of Ennio Morricone. 

Bruno Nicolai
 Post Reply Post Reply