Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Prog Rock the New Folk?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 00:06
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

You know I just wanna say, I was going to try and jump into this argument somewhere and give my two cents but you have been able to articulate every point I would have made (and points I have tried to make in the past) perfectly. It's a pleasure to read your opinions as I have not found anything you've written that I haven't agreed with wholeheartedly but you seem to be able to put things much more intelligently than I ever could.

That's very nice of you to say, thank you.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 00:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Entirely true about the time of Shock the Monkey (1982) and certainly not a news flash to me. I presumed we were talking about the make up of things in principle, since the thread is ultimately asking us to conjecture about the future. I just picked the first thing that popped (no pun intended) into my mind. (I love PG's album, Security.) Yes, very few individual Prog tracks were commercially successful. Then again, very few individual Pop tracks become commercially successful either. There were plenty of Prog songs that were intended for widespread consumption beyond the Prog niche, and generally they did not get the necessary promotion (e.g. Genesis - Dusk, Harold the Barrel, Harlequin...up to quite a few on the Lamb, Jade Warrior - Joanne, May Queen, Demon Trucker, and several others, several from JT, as already mentioned). Of course there was plenty that were not for widespread consumption too. I'm just saying that there are plenty of bridges that cross the river that separates them, figuratively speaking.
I think your assessment more-or-less right but your conclusions and assumptions are wrong. Just because a Prog band wrote shorter, simpler songs it does not necessarily mean they wrote them deliberately for widespread consumption, for example Dusk is a short song but The Knife was the single taken from Trespass - surely a band vying for an audience beyond Prog would have picked the more accessible track to promote as a single.

Fair enough.

As far as the subject of manipulation, I continue to be baffled as to why some continue to think that what we like cannot be manipulated. It is happening right now with the excessive amounts of sodium generally added to our processed foods. As one comedian once said with regard to the Admiral's Feast at Red Lobster, the only time in our lives when we actually consume more sodium is when we are drowning. I love the Admiral's Feast, and yes, I have been manipulated along with many others to like high sodium food. The concept is not necessarily snobbish as Atavachron kept trying to promote.
You seem to be continuing a discussion that we never had but hey-ho.

My bad then this time. Besides, I told myself that I was going to just drop it, as all sides are entrenched, but I was poor in my discipline. (Kudos to The Dark Elf, though)

Where is the "manipulation" in the amount of salt in processed food? Processed foods are high in salt - I get that - salt is a preservative and flavour enhancer - but how is this manipulating us? I really don't follow this line of reasoning at all.

The increasingly high sodium content has amped up the general population's baseline taste for sodium.
Anyway, I thought what the Huffington Post had to say about modern acceptance of fantasy themes was interesting. No one's commented on that yet.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 04:14
That's an interesting angle I'm also disappointed this thread didn't discuss more. The last 200 years' history of Western art and culture often appears to have been an ideological tug-of-war between romanticism/symbolism and modernism/realism. It really is a "history repeats" scenario if you for instance look at how the Impressionist and Art Nouveau movements foreshadowed the psychedelic aesthetic of the 1960s and 1970s.

I think that backlash against the "true art is realistic" mentality accounts more for metal's return to mainstream popularity than progressive rock's, though. At the very least that's the case here in Europe, since it seems to be by far a bigger and more active genre if you look at the amount of new groups active as well as the amount of concerts held and new records released. It also might be relevant that a lot of the biggest names in progressive rock right now either have one foot in the metal stylistically or connections to the metal scene. I wager that after the original generation of progressive rock fizzled out in the mid/late 1970s, the at the time burgeoning heavy metal movement became the refuge for technically involved and ambitious guitar music with fantastic themes. This is in a Danish context somewhat ironic, because a lot of Scandinavian prog/psych-rock musicians looked down upon the early hard rock earlier in the late 1960s/1970s. Even today the progressive metal scene seems kind of culturally segregated from the rest of the genre, and a lot of people in the metal underground are suspicious of overtly intellectual music.

I suspect this also has something to do with how beginning with the NWoBHM, there was this DIY subcultural infrastructure built up in terms of specialized fanzines, record labels and so on even if it wasn't as independent as punk's. Then there's the fact that we're right now facing the same kind of horrific socio-economic situation as the classic 1970s/1980s metal groups did.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 04:52

Where is the "manipulation" in the amount of salt in processed food? Processed foods are high in salt - I get that - salt is a preservative and flavour enhancer - but how is this manipulating us? I really don't follow this line of reasoning at all.

The increasingly high sodium content has amped up the general population's baseline taste for sodium. 
But that isn't manipulation as that would imply deliberate intent and collusion on the part of the food producers. We buy processed foods for their convenience, they contain high levels of salt as a preservative and to stop them tasting bland - I don't see how this is manipulation. Our need for salt in food is not the result of conditioning and manipulation by the food producers, our palates may have adjusted to food with high-sodium content but that is a consequence of our high consumption of processed food, not a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers. They make food that appeals to our tastes, they do not manipulate our tastes to like their products. When making bread I use a fraction of the salt recommended in the recipes but if I leave it out completely it tastes bland, we like salt in our food and always have. I made ragu bianco last week and while I made it to perfection (even though I say so myself) using natural salt-free ingredients I deliberately didn't to add salt during the cooking as I was finishing the sauce with two spoonfuls of marscapone cheese (cheese is a processed food that normally has a high salt content, when using naturally salty ingredients like dairy and seafood I don't add extra salt). When we came to eat it, it lacked flavour and tasted bland so we had to salt the meal after it was served, later I realised that the marscapone I'd used was a low-salt, low-fat variety. Cooking food (or producing music) is a matter of balancing flavour and seasoning to appeal to our palate.

Manipulation in music exists, this cannot be denied, but I question the perceived intent of that manipulation and the degree to which it occurs. As David has said, we have it backwards, the music is manipulated to our tastes, our tastes are not manipulated to like the music. This is most evident in Progressive Rock where the artist deliberately produces music to appeal to their audience and this happens on all levels not just by those artists who re-hash a winning formula in the hope of continued success (Rick Wakeman, Ian Anderson, Steve Hackett, Mike Oldfield, etc.). Pop (and Rock) producers have found winning formulae that appeal to the tastes of the masses and they exploit those tastes but it is the music that is being manipulated, not the tastes of the buying public. The homogenisation of music is a consequence of over-applying a formula (seasoning) to enhance the natural talent (ingredients) of the performer - I believe it is a fallacy to assume from that that Pop performers and artists lack natural talent just as it is a fallacy to assume that the audience can be manipulated into liking a talentless performer. 

Edited by Dean - September 07 2014 at 04:54
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 13:15

But that isn't manipulation as that would imply deliberate intent and collusion on the part of the food producers. We buy processed foods for their convenience, they contain high levels of salt as a preservative and to stop them tasting bland - I don't see how this is manipulation. Our need for salt in food is not the result of conditioning and manipulation by the food producers, our palates may have adjusted to food with high-sodium content but that is a consequence of our high consumption of processed food, not a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers. They make food that appeals to our tastes, they do not manipulate our tastes to like their products. When making bread I use a fraction of the salt recommended in the recipes but if I leave it out completely it tastes bland, we like salt in our food and always have. I made ragu bianco last week and while I made it to perfection (even though I say so myself) using natural salt-free ingredients I deliberately didn't to add salt during the cooking as I was finishing the sauce with two spoonfuls of marscapone cheese (cheese is a processed food that normally has a high salt content, when using naturally salty ingredients like dairy and seafood I don't add extra salt). When we came to eat it, it lacked flavour and tasted bland so we had to salt the meal after it was served, later I realised that the marscapone I'd used was a low-salt, low-fat variety. Cooking food (or producing music) is a matter of balancing flavour and seasoning to appeal to our palate.

Manipulation in music exists, this cannot be denied, but I question the perceived intent of that manipulation and the degree to which it occurs. As David has said, we have it backwards, the music is manipulated to our tastes, our tastes are not manipulated to like the music. This is most evident in Progressive Rock where the artist deliberately produces music to appeal to their audience and this happens on all levels not just by those artists who re-hash a winning formula in the hope of continued success (Rick Wakeman, Ian Anderson, Steve Hackett, Mike Oldfield, etc.). Pop (and Rock) producers have found winning formulae that appeal to the tastes of the masses and they exploit those tastes but it is the music that is being manipulated, not the tastes of the buying public. The homogenisation of music is a consequence of over-applying a formula (seasoning) to enhance the natural talent (ingredients) of the performer - I believe it is a fallacy to assume from that that Pop performers and artists lack natural talent just as it is a fallacy to assume that the audience can be manipulated into liking a talentless performer.

Intention is not necessary. Manipulation can occur entirely unintentionally from over zealousness or whatever. The dictionary definitions I have looked up require that the managing of influence be "skillful" but require nothing about it being intentional. Intention is a pragmatic inference that we may or may not make and may or may not be correct. Social manipulation is normally unintentional. Marketplace manipulation can be financially skillful yet so self-interested that the manipulation is not realized.

The issue with sodium came up on a past NPR (National Public Radio) coverage of a congressional hearing with food producers, I don't know when it was; sometime in the past year when I was driving to work. The claim that has been made that the amounts of sodium used in processed food are excessive, and that is changing our taste with regard to what we find minimally acceptable. I think you concurred with this, but assigned the change to our high consumption of processed food. My understanding is quite the contrary, that the amounts of sodium in products have increased over the years, but I don't speak from direct knowledge or any sort of research. Yes, people can get around it by consuming less processed food, but some people also have less access to unprocessed food.

I might also add that you can't use "bland" by itself as an explanation. A particular Native American population I live with generally prefers bland food, and those most entrenched in the culture do not like any of the flavorings that the Western World regularly adds. (There's even a religious prohibition against Peyote men adding salt on meals before and after Peyote Meetings). Those who are less entrenched in the culture by spending time in other locations are more in line with the Western attitude toward flavorings. I bring this up to once again try to point out that the things we like are not absolute and are not wholly generated internally from individuals independent of outside influences.

Back to music. I'm afraid I do think not only that music is often manipulated to our tastes, but that our musical tastes themselves are manipulated by a wide variety of culprits; the music industry generally, our social environments, MP3s, the context in which we hear music (during workouts vs. in the car), and so on.

NPR Headline Aug 7 2014: Your favorite songs abridged

"Last Friday, a Top 40 radio station in Calgary, Alberta, introduced listeners to a new format. As one on-air stinger put it, "90.3 AMP: Now twice the music." When they say "twice the music," though, they actually mean half the song."

"When you think about why songs are the length that they are, why are they generally between three and five minutes. It goes back sixty years. And if you were a musician back then, you wanted radio airplay, you needed to have a 45. So artists complied and created three to five minute songs. Really what we are trying to do is redefine what listeners want." -Steve Jones, vice president at the Canadian radio firm Newcap.

Potential thread relevance: Prog will not flourish if Steve Jones' experiment catches wildfire. Perhaps some forces will be available to counterbalance it. I don't know.

Edited by HackettFan - September 07 2014 at 15:07
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 13:28
^ It's a tricky question because people do genuinely like what they like, but I have to come in some support to Hacket Fan in that what people like is subject to manipulation. Fashion is one of the most obvious areas, especially women's (not because they are more manipulable but because they tend to be more interested in looking good). Do you like wide trousers or tight? bright and lively colours or pastel ones? well, what the public 'likes' changes every year, so one might ask, did they genuinely like what they were wearing last year? if so why do they wear different things this year? surely one's tastes can not change from one year to another can they?

This illustrates the point, of course they did like what they wore last year and they like what they wear this year. They like what the industry has set as the trend, not any particular fixed look, but they like looking trendy. Of course the spectrum of clothing styles is very large and everybody will change according to the trends but within 'his / her own broad style'.

Regarding food a commonly discussed case is soy, which received huge investment in advertising it as a miraculous healthy food in the 90's (mostly in the US) resulting in a revenue increase from US$ 300 million to 4 billion for the soy industry in a few years. Everything suggests that this industry did not make all this effort out of genuine concern for the health of the population but because soy is highly profitable to grow compared to other legumes and cereals.

Publicity is the intentional manipulation of people's tastes, impressions and opinions, and frequently people are encouraged to like what is most profitable for its producers, and the music industry is no different. Lots of money are dedicated to this, so pretending that intentional manipulation of people's tastes does not exist is naive.

Of course manipulation does not work to the same degree with everybody and it causes counter-reactions as well, but if it works for a large enough number of people it's good enough for the industry.

Edited by Gerinski - September 07 2014 at 13:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 15:13
^Well put, definitely.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 16:55
It was well put but unfortunately not relevant, well they are relevant in the sense that it is a complete misreading of what actually happens, but apart from that neither are examples of manipulation of peoples tastes.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 18:52

Intention is not necessary. Manipulation can occur entirely unintentionally from over zealousness or whatever. The dictionary definitions I have looked up require that the managing of influence be "skillful" but require nothing about it being intentional. Intention is a pragmatic inference that we may or may not make and may or may not be correct. Social manipulation is normally unintentional. Marketplace manipulation can be financially skillful yet so self-interested that the manipulation is not realized.
Manipulation that is unintentional is not manipulation, if you mean the unintentional change in people's taste then you cannot use the word "manipulation". Manipulation is a deliberate act, so in being deliberate it is therefore intentional. The dictionary definitions that I looked up use words such as shrewd, dishonest, deceiving, unscrupulous and unfairly ... all these denote intent. In the context we are using the word manipulation with regard to Pop music it can be nothing but intentional.

The issue with sodium came up on a past NPR (National Public Radio) coverage of a congressional hearing with food producers, I don't know when it was; sometime in the past year when I was driving to work. The claim that has been made that the amounts of sodium used in processed food are excessive, and that is changing our taste with regard to what we find minimally acceptable. I think you concurred with this, but assigned the change to our high consumption of processed food. My understanding is quite the contrary, that the amounts of sodium in products have increased over the years, but I don't speak from direct knowledge or any sort of research.
You need to provide proof to backup any kind of claim, especially one heard on talk radio.
Try this:

...what that shows is an average 3.4% decrease in sodium in processed food between 2005 and 2011, but as you can see from the graph, over a third of foods had no change while other foods showed an increase. (in case you're interested the food products that showed a marked increase were salad dressing and barbecue sauce). Either way this does not support your claim of an increase the changing levels of sodium.

Yes, people can get around it by consuming less processed food, but some people also have less access to unprocessed food.
This is irrelevant (and demonstrably false, but that is so woefully off-topic I'll not expand on it further)

I might also add that you can't use "bland" by itself as an explanation. A particular Native American population I live with generally prefers bland food, and those most entrenched in the culture do not like any of the flavorings that the Western World regularly adds. (There's even a religious prohibition against Peyote men adding salt on meals before and after Peyote Meetings). Those who are less entrenched in the culture by spending time in other locations are more in line with the Western attitude toward flavorings. I bring this up to once again try to point out that the things we like are not absolute and are not wholly generated internally from individuals independent of outside influences.
Yes I can use the word "bland", because I did. If salt did not enhance the flavour of a food then we wouldn't use it as a seasoning. Your example illustrates so that perfectly I struggle to see what your objection is.

Back to music. I'm afraid I do think not only that music is often manipulated to our tastes, but that our musical tastes themselves are manipulated by a wide variety of culprits; the music industry generally, our social environments, MP3s, the context in which we hear music (during workouts vs. in the car), and so on.
But... none of those are examples of manipulation. These are changes in listening but not necessarily changes in taste

"Last Friday, a Top 40 radio station in Calgary, Alberta, introduced listeners to a new format. As one on-air stinger put it, "90.3 AMP: Now twice the music." When they say "twice the music," though, they actually mean half the song." 

"When you think about why songs are the length that they are, why are they generally between three and five minutes. It goes back sixty years. And if you were a musician back then, you wanted radio airplay, you needed to have a 45. So artists complied and created three to five minute songs. Really what we are trying to do is redefine what listeners want." -Steve Jones, vice president at the Canadian radio firm Newcap.
This is an attempt at change and is indeed an example of attempted manipulation, but it is not an attempt to change people's taste in music. Jones admitted that "I think the country radio would be a terrible place to try this. I also think that classic rock songs – it would be very difficult to present listeners who have, for decades, heard the songs a certain way." 

Potential thread relevance: Prog will not flourish if Steve Jones' experiment catches wildfire. Perhaps some forces will be available to counterbalance it. I don't know.
Confused Prog is not the kind of music that features on Top 40 radio in Calgary, I see no relevance in this what-so-ever.

Edited by Dean - September 07 2014 at 18:54
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 21:35
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Regarding food a commonly discussed case is soy, which received huge investment in advertising it as a miraculous healthy food in the 90's (mostly in the US) resulting in a revenue increase from US$ 300 million to 4 billion for the soy industry in a few years. Everything suggests that this industry did not make all this effort out of genuine concern for the health of the population but because soy is highly profitable to grow compared to other legumes and cereals.

Publicity is the intentional manipulation of people's tastes, impressions and opinions, and frequently people are encouraged to like what is most profitable for its producers, and the music industry is no different. Lots of money are dedicated to this, so pretending that intentional manipulation of people's tastes does not exist is naive.

Of course manipulation does not work to the same degree with everybody and it causes counter-reactions as well, but if it works for a large enough number of people it's good enough for the industry.

This is becoming a somewhat circular discussion, but to expand upon the soy analogy: Who ever said that the Soy Industry was doing what they did out of 'genuine concern for the health of the population' ?.   That would be a bit naive.   Most of us live in a consumer based culture.   Whatever the motives of the evil Soy People are is completely irrelevant, they invested in soy, they took the commercial risks, they both lost and, eventually, gained.   Well, so what?   That's how it works.   To accuse anyone (other than maybe Big Oil and the like) of being any more manipulative than your local grocery chain pushing seafood over beef is a misunderstanding of a market society.

I think what we have here is a political disagreement;  a socio-political dissatisfaction among many with the culture in which they live.   They, the largely caucasian working or middle class (as Dean has pointed out) are the most susceptible to this.   Nothing wrong with that, but it is politically motivated rather than rationally considered.   It is people who made the current eating trends what they are, the health culture that arose in the 1970s (I was there, I know), not some invisible evil secret corporate think tanks shoving what they wish upon the people.   Do you think the rise of the electric car is being manipulated?   Or could it be that it was demanded by those who see the obvious-- that electric transportation is the future.   And of course, eventually, Tesla will be accused of "manipulating the people".   But if you've ever seen the documentary Who Killed the Electric Car?, which came out a mere eight years ago, you'll see that, though compelling and certainly important, the film has become immaterial.   The very real possibility that the car industry may have tried to quietly sabotage electric car technology doesn't really matter anymore: We now have the very real option of buying one for ourselves, saving thousands in gas and helping to curb harmful emissions.   We won.   And now the car makers are scrambling to keep up.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 22:22
Interesting how we go from soy to electric cars in only two paragraphs. Anyway, electric cars aren't exactly selling like hot cakes so to speak so to me I don't see that as a good example of the consumer getting what it wants. I'm not sure about the current state of electric cars but for a while there was a popular opinion that they could not go faster than 50 miles per hour. This by itself was enough to sabotage the industry(or at least partly so). I think when people heard this it made them loose interest in wanting to own an electric car. We do very much live in a "here today gone tomorrow" kind of world so the next big thing better be an improvement(or at least be perceived as one)in order for a trend to settle in or even a demand for something even if it's not the most popular. In other words something still has to have selling power in order for it to be an available option.

I don't really see a strong connection to prog here though. The music industry has changed a lot and prog is in a position to gain a lot more fans but in my opinion it has stalled. It missed the boat at least as far as being super huge or mainstream but I view that as a good thing. Prog is already starting to get too watered down. What passes for prog now would probably not have passed for prog 35 to 40 years ago. I'm an open minded music fan so it's not that big of a deal but I don't like the idea of young kids listening to a bunch of experimental indie bands and calling themselves prog fans when they have no clue who ELP, YES, KC, Flower Kings, Marillion, early Genesis and all the other bands commonly known as prog are. That is just how I feel though. In other words I don't want the definition of prog stretched too much just so it can appeal to those who would normally not give a crap about it. Again that's just me. ;) No one expects classical, jazz or bluegrass to change so leave the prog a lone also. :) The bottom line is prog had it's peak in popularity in the early to mid seventies. Many people still see it as a 70's genre and thus as a genre that is "time locked." I don't see that changing anytime soon. It has a dedicated medium sized following now and I am happy with that. Let's leave well enough alone and as King Crimson might say "be happy with what we have to be happy with."   

It is true that industries and corporations do manipulate public opinion and play a role in shaping tastes. This is because they have a lot of money and can buy advertising. The prog scene is where it is now in large part because of the internet. It has an underground kind of following and as such has not been a victim of commercial manipulation(unlike say in the seventies). I say the fewer prog bands on major labels the better. The more prog becomes commercial the more it has to live up to the standards of those promoting them. I like it just the way it is now(for the most part).

Edited by Prog_Traveller - September 07 2014 at 22:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 22:26

Manipulation that is unintentional is not manipulation, if you mean the unintentional change in people's taste then you cannot use the word "manipulation". Manipulation is a deliberate act, so in being deliberate it is therefore intentional. The dictionary definitions that I looked up use words such as shrewd, dishonest, deceiving, unscrupulous and unfairly ... all these denote intent. In the context we are using the word manipulation with regard to Pop music it can be nothing but intentional.

I see that a lot is falling upon the meaning of 'manipulation'. I disagree wholeheartedly with your inclusion of intention as a necessary condition in the word's meaning. Intention is a pragmatic inference attached the word. I pulled the following instances of actual word usage off Google and Google Scholar. None of these instances involve intentionality, and each sounds fine to me:

“All of this design information is necessary to translate Figure 1 into Figure 2, as the C ++program has the same general design, but makes explicit that the program is manipulating points, calculating distances, computing averages, and so on.” (http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=%22is+manipulating%22&hl=en&as_sdt=0,37)

“Nanotechnology is manipulating matter at nanometer level and the application of the same to medicine is called nanomedicine.”
(http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22is+manipulating%22&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C37)

“Otherwise, the MMP is manipulating a valid ACM message and must process its body one line at a time, beginning at decision block 610.” (http://www.google.com/patents/US6256666)

I do appreciate your investigation into sodium increases in processed food for both its educational value and the effort you put into it. Clearly, as things stand, the analogy I attempted does not apply.

Edited by HackettFan - September 07 2014 at 22:26
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:29

Manipulation that is unintentional is not manipulation, if you mean the unintentional change in people's taste then you cannot use the word "manipulation". Manipulation is a deliberate act, so in being deliberate it is therefore intentional. The dictionary definitions that I looked up use words such as shrewd, dishonest, deceiving, unscrupulous and unfairly ... all these denote intent. In the context we are using the word manipulation with regard to Pop music it can be nothing but intentional.

I see that a lot is falling upon the meaning of 'manipulation'. I disagree wholeheartedly with your inclusion of intention as a necessary condition in the word's meaning. Intention is a pragmatic inference attached the word. I pulled the following instances of actual word usage off Google and Google Scholar. None of these instances involve intentionality, and each sounds fine to me:

“All of this design information is necessary to translate Figure 1 into Figure 2, as the C ++program has the same general design, but makes explicit that the program is manipulating points, calculating distances, computing averages, and so on.” (http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=%22is+manipulating%22&hl=en&as_sdt=0,37)

“Nanotechnology is manipulating matter at nanometer level and the application of the same to medicine is called nanomedicine.”
(http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22is+manipulating%22&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C37)

“Otherwise, the MMP is manipulating a valid ACM message and must process its body one line at a time, beginning at decision block 610.” (http://www.google.com/patents/US6256666)
Erm, we are actually discussing the noun 'manipulation', not the verb 'manipulating', however all of your examples the thing doing the manipulating is not doing it by accident or as a consequence or by-product, the intention of the [person who wrote, designed or invoked the] program/technonolgy/MMP is to handle, change and/or alter the data-points/matter/ACM message. These are not pragmatic inferences, they are semantic inferences. 

When we have two or more possible meanings for a word we apply the meaning that is appropriate to the context in which it was used. 
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 03:11

This is an attempt at change and is indeed an example of attempted manipulation, but it is not an attempt to change people's taste in music. Jones admitted that "I think the country radio would be a terrible place to try this. I also think that classic rock songs – it would be very difficult to present listeners who have, for decades, heard the songs a certain way." 

Coming back to this for a moment, Steve Jones is wrong about why songs are the length they are because he also "has it backwards" - 45s (and before that 78s) were chosen to be that size to accommodate the average length of a single song, which were around the 3 to 4 minute mark long before the invention of the phonograph. This is the only reason why 45s were 7-inches in diameter and 78s were 10" in diameter. Edison's phonographic cylinder could only record 2 minutes of music and it failed because of the competition from the 10" 78 that didn't require the songs to be abridged to fit on the record.

Folk songs, sea shanties, hymns, carols, gospel songs, operatic arias, art songs, music-hall/vaudeville songs are all of similar (short) length, in 20th century popular music (and not just pop music) this was predominately of the AABA or 32-bar form and that length was determined independently of the medium (in the early part of the century this medium was sheet-music not the phonographic record).

This fallacy of causation is not uncommon, even Wikipedia gets it wrong as they state that the 10" 78 was determined by the use of synchronous electric motors having a rotational speed of 3600 rpm with a 46:1 gear ratio giving 78.26 rpm on the turntable platter - unfortunately that is only valid in the USA that has a 60Hz mains frequency, in Europe where the mains frequency is 50Hz those motors spin at 3000 rpm so a 38½:1 gear ratio was required - there is no magic in a 46:1 gear ratio and it is not a technological limitation, gear ratios can be practically any value. The size of the disc at 10" was not determined wholly by the rotational speed, they could have been 12" or 8" or any size they liked, 10" was chosen because at 78rpm it gave 3 minutes play time to accommodate the average length of a song at the time, to illustrate this 12" 78s were produced for longer songs. Similarly when the rotational speed was decreased to 45rpm they could have kept the size at 10" (there is no technical reason why not) but chose to reduce the diameter because that is how long songs were. The later improvements of microgrooving and disc mastering meant that 7" 45s could accommodate longer songs (in excess of 7 minutes) - that format has been the standard since the mid-60s yet most pop songs remained between 3 and 4 minutes in spite of this. Jones is presenting a specious argument.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 07:08
I think manipulation is too strong a word to use and assumes condescendingly that most people are sheep.  No, they are not, but at the same time they are not necessarily spending all the time in the world looking for the solitary needle in a haystack.  They want the kind of stuff they like delivered on a platter.  Corporations try to second guess this and push more and more quantities of say the particular genre or sub genre that is enjoying a wave of popularity at that time.  It would be pretty deluded to believe they don't and just randomly produce albums hoping for success.  They don't hope, they are usually fairly certain of succeeding and that is why unsuccessful entertainers don't get too many chances to make a comeback.  "A singer is only as good as his last concert" holds good here (that no singer, in reality, is that perfect and good here only implies commercial success is a different issue).  And the more unpredictable their reach, the more conservative the corporations get.  Today, big production houses in India are able to cover a lot of screens at a low cost due to digitization and hence don't mind taking a few risks once in a while.  But in the 90s, when physical prints still had to be transported to every cinema hall and cinema halls only had one screen, they were hyper-conservative and made us watch practically the same film with a few minor re-arrangements of the cliches over and over again.  And films still ran well.  In fact the biggest hits of that time achieved an ROI that would be unthinkable today because films now get yanked off screens within a few weeks at the most.  

So it's not as simple as people either loved it totally or disliked it totally but were hypnotised into watching those awful films.  It's more 'grey'.   We didn't have very many avenues for entertainment then so we used to grin and bear with these films or simply throw logic out of the window and have a hearty laugh to figuratively get back our money's worth (and tickets were also much cheaper then).  If you look at the way the music industry has evolved too, you don't see MJ-like worldwide superstars anymore.  When MJ came over to Mumbai in the 90s to perform a show, there was a lot of buzz.  I have no doubt that Bruno Mars would not be able to generate even a mere iota of that mania.  That is, the diminishing aura of superstars (as opposed to album sales) has nothing to do with piracy; it is simply a reflection of the fact that people can find a lot more things to do with their time than just listening to music.  And pop music with its ephemeral, flavour of the moment appeal, bears the brunt of this more so than other genres.  It is quite possible that corporations have responded  to the emerging unpredictable nature of current music culture with heightened aversion to risk.  And because it is pop music, it will continue to find a large market because it is accessible enough to attract people who want to listen to music but don't necessarily want to search far and wide for it.  

Again, to say so does not imply that they are prepared to be satisfied with what is mediocre.  It is simply that a better advertised and promoted product has a better chance of winning in the marketplace.  You can make a great car that offers the ultimate value for money but if in order to do so, you skimped on advertising expenses, you may find to your dismay that people are not aware that such a product even exists and you fall miserably short of your sales projections.  Just because Suzuki sells way more cars in India than Fiat doesn't mean they make far better cars or customers would not like Fiat even if say it was sold through Suzuki dealerships.  It's just that Suzuki's dealer and service centre footprint is far greater than Fiat and it also commands a reputation of reliability so that people would almost unhesitatingly gravitate to Suzuki products without bothering about the value other manufacturers may or may not offer.  Likewise is the scenario in pop music v/s well, less mainstream genres/artists within rock.  
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 07:28
I'd say that there is a non-trivial difference between the sentences 'people consume what they like' and 'people like what they consume'.

I'm not a letters man, let alone in English which is not my mother language, but I hope you will get my point if I say the following:

Can the industry influence what the consumers consume? I don't think anybody would answer 'no', otherwise all the millions spent in advertising and marketing would be wasted money.

Do people like what they consume? (more than what they do not consume for the same price). The general consensus here seems to be a 'yes'. People are not completely stupid puppets, they genuinely like what they consume, they have choice.

If we combine both in a transitive form, we get: 'can the industry influence what people like?' And so the answer turns to be a 'yes'. People without particular interest in music are buying now stuff which is quite different from what they bought 5 years ago or 10 years ago. They liked all of it at the time they bought it, but they bought (and therefore 'liked') mostly what was put in front of their nose.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 08:00
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

They liked all of it at the time they bought it, but they bought (and therefore 'liked') mostly what was put in front of their nose.

Exactly.  As Liam Gallagher once put it crudely, "If you are not on the charts, you don't exist."  That's not far off in describing how the large majority of listeners 'consume' music and they have valid reasons to do so.  They have a certain set of priorities which are likely very different from those of music snobs.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 09:55
[I think manipulation is too strong a word to use and assumes condescendingly that most people are sheep. ]

Ok. How about "control" then? If people aren't being manipulated then they are being controlled in some way. They are led to believe that these are the only options they have by only showing them the options they want them to see. This is how the music industry was able to sweep prog under the carpet. If it was invisible to the masses then hardly anyone knew about it and therefore they didn't need to promote it or worry about it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:12
They are not led to believe anything in particular nor are they being controlled.  They just don't care.  They don't HAVE to deal with whatever is not at the top of the charts and prog isn't.  Of course, prog fans don't like the implied inference that most music listeners are simply indifferent to prog (rather than being somehow hypnotised by the media into believing it doesn't exist) but that's how it is.  There may have been a time and a place when prog was popular but that time is long gone and changes in the tastes of listeners are at least as much responsible for that as the corporations.  Large numbers of people didn't so much like prog rock as they did a few popular prog rock bands.  When these bands either lost audiences or just went commercial, no new bands, barring Rush, were able to take their place commercially speaking and in the meantime punk and new wave happened which caught the fascination of the public.  

And there's nothing particularly baffling about why prog is not popular anymore. Even jazz is not as popular as it used to be up to the 60s and that's hardly because jazz itself began to suck.  It's just that tastes change.  Corporations may have contributed to the acceleration of such change, compared to the pre-recording era, by facilitating the availability of, on the one hand a studio with equipment and on the other the ability to reach a large audience, to new bands interested in performing whatever music gets popular at that time.  This may have reflected in 'migration' of audience to the new music on a larger scale and much more quickly than what may have happened before. But that's simply because the new music gets assimilated faster and I personally would not attribute any conspiracies to that.  
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 12:22
Influencing and biasing free-will decisions towards a preferred outcome is how I've always thought of it. 

That's all marketing is. 

Even if you're selling a very good product, you still need to convince people of the benefits (and communicate said benefits effectively) in order for them to understand WHY it's a good idea to buy it. The less they understand or feel this product is for them, the more their decision is biased to not buy both the idea or the product, and vice-versa.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>