FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMuir's influence on Brufford as percussionist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muir's influence on Brufford as percussionist
    Posted: August 29 2014 at 15:09
As I see it, Bill Brufford was originally a drummer but with time he came to be as much a percussionist as a pure drummer.
I wonder how much of that change was influenced by his working together with Jamie Muir in King Crimson.

This is Brufford's kit in a 1974 performance, the kit itself is minimalistic which was not common for its time among Prog giants, just bass drum, snare, bass tom and one tom, but it is very generous in percussion elements, many of them not seen in this picture.

It comes from this excellent video where much more of his percussion stuff can be seen

and this is Jamie Muir (projected in the background and not very clear) a bit earlier in 1973

Here is the video, check Jamie as from around 12m10s, it's when he adopts a percussion style which would be followed by Brufford later on according to me.

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:06
I think he might have had some influence on Bill. He was probably looking for more of a challenge at the time and Crimson seemed to be a perfect opportunity.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 18:55
Broof claims Muir influenced him. The way Bill drummed in 1974 was different to the way he was drumming in 1971.
Magma America Great Make Again
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 00:35
I agree about the influence Jamie Muir. In 80s Crimson a percussionist would have been out of place, because Bruford was filling that role.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 06:25
It wouldn't surprise me, honestly. What does surprise me is how much noise this guy made with such a minimalist kit! Tongue
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 08:50
On the back on the original "Feels good to me" vinyl cover, is quotes
Bruford saying "He opened me up, made me more courageous, Suddently it was not all drum magasine, but using the instrument to put your own character across."
I think it is fair to say, Muir has a tremendus effect on Bruford.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:32
No guessing needed.  In his book "Bill Bruford The Autobiography", Bill states...

"We managed only one studio album, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, before our delightful and mustachioed percussionist Jamie Muir left the group under a cloud of confusion and misinformation. He never said goodbye, and I don't believe we have met since. I liked Jamie a lot, even though he was, shall we say, unkind in his assessments of the talents of the arrogant and over-praised young drummer from Yes. He taught me to try to see life from the far side of the cymbals: drummers can be very myopic. He also pointed out - and I consider this my first and best drum lesson - that I exist to serve the music, the music does not exist to serve me."

I would argue that Bill has spent his entire career since LTIA on the "far side of the cymbals."
 Post Reply Post Reply