Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTAAB VS. CTTE !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which do you like better: TAAB or CTTE?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [42.35%]
49 [57.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:44
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, I just found a pair of flaws in your impersonation. Moshkito wouldn't so easily let something change his opinion, I believe. Nor do I think the would begin a post with an expression like "mmm"... and you missed an opinion about something related to expressing some songs as filler is just sad. Perhaps he would have said that the artist surely doesn't write material thinking to make it filler, and that it's just sad that we can't apreciate and understand what they were trying to say, etc.

LOL LOL

But let's leave Moshkito alone. It's true, I don't often know what he's on about. But he could be on a higher plane. Anyway, I enjoy reading him Big smile I'm more worried about Horizons. He doesn't like JT nor Yes. In progarchovies dot com! Is that allowed? Is there an intervention we can do? Approve LOL

Edited by jude111 - August 30 2014 at 23:52
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:54
JT is annoying to me and could never get into them. 

For Yes - dislike may be a bad choice of wording, but i certainly don't listen to them anymore. 
I can't sit through an album of theres anymore unfortunately, i just get tired. I used to love The Yes Album and Relayer but my tastes have evolved to the point where those albums no longer interest me or hit me as strong as they used to. 

If i listen to any Yes song it's prolly going to be Heart of the Sunrise or something off of Time and a Word.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:59
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

JT is annoying to me and could never get into them. 

For Yes - dislike may be a bad choice of wording, but i certainly don't listen to them anymore. 
I can't sit through an album of theres anymore unfortunately, i just get tired. I used to love The Yes Album and Relayer but my tastes have evolved to the point where those albums no longer interest me or hit me as strong as they used to. 

If i listen to any Yes song it's prolly going to be Heart of the Sunrise or something off of Time and a Word.

I was just teasin' yah Big smile 

Edited by jude111 - August 31 2014 at 00:01
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:01
Oh i know, was bored and might as well explain myself anyway. LOL
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:12

If that was true Topographic wouldnt be so polarizing. 

I hate JT and i dislike Yes
I should be more precise - in 70s symphonic prog there is no one band which can be in the same contest with Yes regarding the long epics.
Toward your hatred for Jethro Tull & dislike Yes, I can only laugh on it, because it's something like to be a member of a metal forum and to hate e.g. Iron Maiden.

Edited by Svetonio - August 31 2014 at 00:54
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:19
I'm guessing you mean laugh? Tongue

I guess for all the times you've given me a laugh, i should repay the favor. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:24

I'm guessing you mean laugh? Tongue

(...)
Oh, I'm very sorry for that lapse..
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 03:50
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

CTTE gets a bit sleepy in parts. The middle of the title song and And you and I drag on

<span id="result_" ="" lang="en"><span ="hps">In my opinion</span><span ="">,</span> <span ="hps">Ian</span> <span ="hps">Anderson</span> <span ="hps">is a far better</span> <span ="hps">composer</span> <span ="hps">of songs than</span> <span ="hps">composer of</span> <span ="hps">long</span> <span ="hps">epics -</span> <span ="hps">in</span> <span ="hps">which</span> Y<span ="hps">es</span> <span ="hps">have no real</span> <span ="hps">competitor</span><span ="">.</span></span>

I reckon Yes run out of ideas when their songs go longer than 10 minutes. TAAB is 10-12 great melodies joined together
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 05:57
^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson was created an extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?
That's the reason why for me that shortened version from Bursting Out sounds far better than that long hoax what Thick As A Brick is.
TAAB's album jacket's design is a nice black & white stuff but it was also created in the favour of that hoax.

So in my opinion, TAAB as a hoax album, as a parody on our beloved genre, could not be better than that grandiose prog symphony what Close to the Edge really is - packaged in Roger Dean's masterpiece.

Edited by Svetonio - August 31 2014 at 06:56
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:02

^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson created extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?
That's the reason why for me that shortened version from Bursting Out sounds far better than that long hoax what Thick As A Brick is.
TAAB's album jacket's design is a nice black & white stuff but it was also created in the favour of that hoax.

So in my opinion, TAAB as a hoax album, as a parody on our beloved genre, could not be better than that grandiose prog symphony what Close to the Edge really is - packaged in Roger Dean's masterpiece.

The fact that TAAB is a hoax album makes it all that much more awesome. But you're correct; in comparison to CTTE, it's really an easy choice here.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:10
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson created extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?

The fact that TAAB is a hoax album makes it all that much more awesome. But you're correct; in comparison to CTTE, it's really an easy choice here.

Not for me it isn't.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 09:20

Well--while I don't completely get the Yes hate---I sorta get the dislike of Tull---I used to like them and listen to them but now not my thingy----now if you hate the classic Genesis period, got to get a petition to get you off this site.WinkLOL
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 10:53
I love Genesis, including their quality pop era. Classic era bands that tickle my fancy are VdGG, Camel, Can and pretty much any Canterbury. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:09

I love Genesis, including their quality pop era. Classic era bands that tickle my fancy are VdGG, Camel, Can and pretty much any Canterbury. 

I have never really understood the love for the so-called 'quality pop era' of Genesis by prog rock fans.
IMHO those tracks with Collins are just ok and not something with any major impact.

I really like the Canterbury period bands also but I have always had a love/hate relationship with VDGG and GG.; some great tracks by both bands but also many difficult songs that seem to be more about being clever than being 'musical'.

For me earlier and some later Tull are the more interesting and entertaining albums. TAAB has some nice bits here and there but I find it tedious as a whole. CTTE hangs together better for me overall but if one is not much of a Yes fan then it can also feel overwrought I suppose. I tend to play The Yes album and Fragile more.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Not for me it isn't.

TAAB is not a "hoax" and I defy you to supply a quote using that word. As a satire it is superb, parodizing small-town newspapers and the small-minded who run the town with a Monty Pythonesque bite, and the lyrics are far and away better than Jon Anderson's new age repetitive mush.

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 31 2014 at 13:51
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:11
TAAB
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:44
Both

Welcome to the middle of the film.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 17:16
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Not for me it isn't.

TAAB is not a "hoax" and I defy you to supply a quote using that word. As a satire it is superb, parodizing small-town newspapers and the small-minded who run the town with a Monty Pythonesque bite, and the lyrics are far and away better than Jon Anderson's new age repetitive mush.

You are spot on Elfy.....repetitive, new age, high pitched mush.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 17:48
I love both but TAAB slightly more. I understand CttE is considered by many progrock fans as a base of the genre record. Maybe yes (it was my first ever Yes record I've heard a lot of years ago and title song and And You And I are great; Siberian Khathru leaves me a little bit cold on the other side :-) ) but I like other Yes records more...
I thought I won't vote here but I changed my mind and my vote goes to JT.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 21:05
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Well--while I don't completely get the Yes hate---I sorta get the dislike of Tull---I used to like them and listen to them but now not my thingy----now if you hate the classic Genesis period, got to get a petition to get you off this site.WinkLOL
Does indifference count?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>