Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTAAB VS. CTTE !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which do you like better: TAAB or CTTE?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [42.35%]
49 [57.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 21:17
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

If that was true Topographic wouldnt be so polarizing. 
I hate JT and i dislike Yes

I should be more precise - in 70s symphonic prog there is no one band which can be in the same contest with Yes regarding the long epics.
<span id="result_" ="short_text"="" lang="en">Toward <span ="hps"="">your</span> <span ="hps"="">hatred for</span> <span ="hps"="">Jethro Tull & dislike Yes, I can only laugh on it, because it's something like to be a member of a metal forum and to hate e.g. Iron Maiden.</span></span>
<span ="short_text"="" lang="en"><span ="hps"=""></span></span>

Actually, I guess it would be much easier to find a fan of Metal music who would end up disliking Iron Maiden, than a fan of prog who would dislike Yes. Specially, there are many extreme Metal fans who seem to be proud about disliking bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica and dismiss them as too soft, or pop, or whatever may fancy them in order to appear tougher and with stronger tastes (well, there are those around here that would dismiss the classic prog giants for not being innovative enough, or virtuos enough, or whatever may fancy them).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 21:25
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson created extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?
That's the reason why for me that shortened version from Bursting Out sounds far better than that long hoax what Thick As A Brick is.
TAAB's album jacket's design is a nice black & white stuff but it was also created in the favour of that hoax.

So in my opinion, TAAB as a hoax album, as a parody on our beloved genre, could not be better than that grandiose prog symphony what Close to the Edge really is - packaged in Roger Dean's masterpiece.

The fact that TAAB is a hoax album makes it all that much more awesome. But you're correct; in comparison to CTTE, it's really an easy choice here.

I also like much better the live version on Bursting Out of Thick as a Brick. It's got just about all the wonderful parts from side one, and left out the parts where the song strated to drag too long. The only thing is that there are near 10 more minutes of wonderful music that are missing if you don't have the studio album.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 22:20
I reckon Yes were best from 1969-1971. CTTE is similar quality but you can see the cracks coming through on this album which were more noticeable on the next 2 albums. The cracks I mention are the bit of filler across the longer length songs from 1972-74 even though there is plenty of pretty good music in between. But I find each album weakened as the years went by between 72 and 74.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 05:53
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson created extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?
That's the reason why for me that shortened version from Bursting Out sounds far better than that long hoax what Thick As A Brick is.
TAAB's album jacket's design is a nice black & white stuff but it was also created in the favour of that hoax.

So in my opinion, TAAB as a hoax album, as a parody on our beloved genre, could not be better than that grandiose prog symphony what Close to the Edge really is - packaged in Roger Dean's masterpiece.

The fact that TAAB is a hoax album makes it all that much more awesome. But you're correct; in comparison to CTTE, it's really an easy choice here.

I also like much better the live version on Bursting Out of Thick as a Brick. It's got just about all the wonderful parts from side one, and left out the parts where the song strated to drag too long. The only thing is that there are near 10 more minutes of wonderful music that are missing if you don't have the studio album.

Absolutely! Thumbs Up

That's the thing, though; sometimes I'm in the mood for the studio version. When I'm working in Photoshop or something, the longness is just perfect. Yes is always, perfect, though.

Edited by PrognosticMind - September 01 2014 at 05:54
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 03:17
For many years this would have been an absolute walkover for CTTE.  However I am (after 30 years LOL) developing a real affinity for TAAB so this is much closer than it once was.  The vote is still for Yes for the time being put post this poll again next year (surely somebody will Tongue) and the answer might be different.........
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:43

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

TAAB would be great if 20 minutes length. To me is full of fillers. CTTE is completely consistent. No one can call "And You And I" filler.
The best Tull album for me is Aqualung

Hi. 
Hmm..."Fillers" again. Honestly this "Filler" made me to note (zoom) to long tracks with this point of view again and its change my opinion about some of them (long track or epic or ...). I think "Filler" theory! "CAN" be a good measure for analysis some tracks or songs or ...but its not work for everything!! Sometimes one song or Album may have powerful musical structure or another perfect musical elements without using "perfect fillers" or perfect using of "Fillers"!!
I mean there are more important measures to analysis and review music than "Filler" but in many case you can't ignore that. "When" and "Where" are 2 good words for ranking "Filler" value in one good analysis(IMO). I really hope you understand me. Thanks.

OK, I just found a pair of flaws in your impersonation. Moshkito wouldn't so easily let something change his opinion, I believe. Nor do I think the would begin a post with an expression like "mmm"... and you missed an opinion about something related to expressing some songs as filler is just sad. Perhaps he would have said that the artist surely doesn't write material thinking to make it filler, and that it's just sad that we can't apreciate and understand what they were trying to say, etc.

MISUNDERSTANDING!! You don't know my opinion. I like "Filler" theory. I cant understand your opinion. I cant understand why you are angry about me?!!!!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:57
I never stand in wrong opinions and change my opinion when I found it wrong.If this is wrong in your book , you dont do this. I am here for learning more and talk about music. Moshkito is one of my friends in PA like octopus-4. I always follow their posts . I wait for Octopus not you Dellinger. I dont know you and I dont want to continue this discuss with you.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:06

TAAB would be great if 20 minutes length. To me is full of fillers. CTTE is completely consistent. No one can call "And You And I" filler.

Hi. 
Hmm..."Fillers" again. Honestly this "Filler" made me to note (zoom) to long tracks with this point of view again and its change my opinion about some of them (long track or epic or ...). I think "Filler" theory! "CAN" be a good measure for analysis some tracks or songs or ...but its not work for everything!! Sometimes one song or Album may have powerful musical structure or another perfect musical elements without using "perfect fillers" or perfect using of "Fillers"!!
I mean there are more important measures to analysis and review music than "Filler" but in many case you can't ignore that. "When" and "Where" are 2 good words for ranking "Filler" value in one good analysis(IMO). I really hope you understand me. Thanks.

OK, I just found a pair of flaws in your impersonation. Moshkito wouldn't so easily let something change his opinion, I believe. Nor do I think the would begin a post with an expression like "mmm"... and you missed an opinion about something related to expressing some songs as filler is just sad. Perhaps he would have said that the artist surely doesn't write material thinking to make it filler, and that it's just sad that we can't apreciate and understand what they were trying to say, etc.

MISUNDERSTANDING!! You don't know my opinion. I like "Filler" theory. I cant understand your opinion. I cant understand why you are angry with me?!!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:16

Hi. 

MISUNDERSTANDING!! You don't know my opinion. I like "Filler" theory. I cant understand your opinion. I cant understand why you are angry with me?!!!!

Indeed now I think this was a huge misunderstandinf on my part. Hey, I'm really sorry, just, because of a few details on the way you posted, it seemed to me that you were fooling around imitating Moshkito, and I tried to join in the fooling around. I meant absolutley no offense towards you nor towards Moshkito (and actually I NEVER post anything with the intention of offending anyone), and I'm really sorry if either of you took it the wrong way (even though I rather doubt Moshkito even saw this posts). Now this is what happens to me for assuming things wrongly
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:44
Thank you Dellinger. Honestly my English is not good and sometimes its make me mistake.Few days before octopus wrote a comment  about mike oldfield's Tubular Bells and use "Fillers" word in long tracks or epic or... and I saw this for first time. I like this "Filler" and after that I listened to some of long tracks or epics again with "Filler" poin of view and .....
This is all about fillers. I don't want to waste your time and I hope you understand me. I care about PA members and I don't want to disturb any one in PA forum. Perhaps sometimes we discuss hard about our opinion and attack to each other but this is about music. Thank you again my friend. 
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 10:21

Is there a better masterpiece than CTTE? I have not heard any yet… Granted, some get extremely close. But still, they did not surpass the stunning creation by Yes that is Close to the Edge.

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:52
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I've grown a bit tired of TaaB (although it's been a while since I played it now), while CttE (or any other Yes album, for that matter) I've never been a huge fan of, so no vote.

Perhaps I should revisit both soon?
Gave them both a listen last night. I agree with those who say TaaB part two is weaker than part one, but, IMO, CttE's got parts that doesn't hold up, too.

Not much between them, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm more acquainted with TaaB, so it gets my vote.

Although I consider both masterpieces, none of them are what I consider the pinnacle of the prog genre. A Passion Play or Red on the other hand...
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 13:11
Foxtrot
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:54

Thank you Dellinger. Honestly my English is not good and sometimes its make me mistake.Few days before octopus wrote a comment  about mike oldfield's Tubular Bells and use "Fillers" word in long tracks or epic or... and I saw this for first time. I like this "Filler" and after that I listened to some of long tracks or epics again with "Filler" poin of view and .....
This is all about fillers. I don't want to waste your time and I hope you understand me. I care about PA members and I don't want to disturb any one in PA forum. Perhaps sometimes we discuss hard about our opinion and attack to each other but this is about music. Thank you again my friend. 

It's good to know that we are OK, and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. But however, even if it was not my intention, I even managed to make at leas one more user believe that you did were trying to impersonate Mosh
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:39

It's good to know that we are OK, and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. But however, even if it was not my intention, I even managed to make at leas one more user believe that you did were trying to impersonate Mosh

Thumbs Up
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:55
love close to the edge but

Really don't mind if you sit this one out
Prog On!
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:09
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Foxtrot
Naaaah, I much prefer Selling. Godbluff's another prog pinnacle candidate, as far as I'm concerned.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:55
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Foxtrot
Naaaah, I much prefer Selling. Godbluff's another prog pinnacle candidate, as far as I'm concerned.

Okay.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 23:28

Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 03:46
Originally posted by dellinger dellinger wrote:

Actually, I guess it would be much easier to find a fan of Metal music who would end up disliking Iron Maiden

Good luck with that...

CTTE got me into prog. Clear winner.

Edited by Zenbadger - September 08 2014 at 03:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>