Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed60's & 70's prog rock band quiz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 01:26
To hard for me, I'm not good enough to spell in eng, to get anywhere in due time, and absolutely impossibly to remember those italiens titles, my good, I just listen to the albums, don't know a single track.☺️
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:42
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 07:50
38 here after doing it three times and unfortunately looked some of them up (i didn't want to explode on some of them that i know the answer to but couldn't think of it.
Progrockdude
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

0 / 100 damn

I guess I should actually take the quiz if I want higher

LOL Same here.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 11:25
28..I got stuck on Mike Oldfield and refused to leave it until I came up with his name. Serious old man brain fart moment.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Not sure why this guy limited things to just the golden age but on the flip side the older lesser known stuff deserves more attention among the younger prog fans imo. Anyway, here is the quiz. I got about maybe 25 of them but then the timer ran out. See how you guys do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add the hyper link so you'll need to copy and paste. It's not that hard to do.Wink

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Turamarth/100-progressive-rock-bands

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

0 / 100 damn

LOL Same here.

Being that you have reviewed well over 3,000 albums on here I'd say you would clean up pretty good with this quiz probably beating most(if not all) of us. ;)

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:33
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

0 / 100 damn

LOL Same here.

Being that you have reviewed well over 3,000 albums on here I'd say you would clean up pretty good with this quiz probably beating most(if not all) of us. ;)

I accept your challenge but I think that this could be humbling.Stern Smile  I be back.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:33
60/100. Not too bad Smile.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:34
49/100 Ermm
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:45
52 /100
as some one said too many Italian bands.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:50
NOT ENOUGH ITALIAN BANDS. Stern Smile

More seriously, I would like how the creator of this quizz has had the idea to include Culpeper's Orchard or Catapilla.
I mean, who the hell on this site ever heard about them?!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:29
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I got 62% It prolly woulda been higher if a) I recognized all the non-English titles; might know the music but the titles didn't ring a bell. b) it accepted 'Il Balleto di Bronzo' as an answer; was about 99% sure that was the correct answer but it was not accepted.

I got 49 right but would have done better if spelling didn't count.Big smile I knew about 4 more but couldn't get them spelled right, plus the timer had an affect as I couldn't dwell on one too long even if I recognized some songs but the band didn't come to mind right away. I guess that's the whole point though having some pressure to get it done on time. I missed most Italian ones except for Il Balletto Di Bronzo, PFM and Banco.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:43
It took me a few seconds to understand they are songs titles, I quit immediately. Damn I suck at songs titles...
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 16:47
63% my main problem was the time restraint.

It takes me Ages to type stuff like RACCOMANDATA CON RICEVUTA DI RITORNO
without a typo.

I think I would have had about all but 6 or 7 with some more time.
(The italian ones where the easy ones for me)
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 16:53
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I got 62% It prolly woulda been higher if a) I recognized all the non-English titles; might know the music but the titles didn't ring a bell. b) it accepted 'Il Balleto di Bronzo' as an answer; was about 99% sure that was the correct answer but it was not accepted.

It's Balletto di Bronzo (you missed one "t")
Turamarth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 18:59
Hi! I'm that guy who created the quiz, I'm glad to see that you liked it!

I'll try to answer to some of your doubts:
@Prog_Traveller, I chose to limit it to the "classic era" simply because I wanted to. Smile Also I'm not extremely knowledgeable about more recent prog and even with help from this and other sites (which of course I used a lot to create the quiz anyway) I surely would have missed something important. And lastly, for more recent artits it's also much more difficult to decide if they "truly" belong to progressive rock or not, take for instance progressive metal, or post-rock.

Anyway, I'm sure that you know better than me that the distinction between what is prog and what is not has never been completely clear, so I thought it was fair to include some bands that may not be prog rock in the strictest sense (e.g. Golden Earring, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep and others), but are definitely "prog-related", as you say here.

The "obscure" inclusion were forced by the number, but if you feel that I should take out some and you can suggest some good alternatives, I'll be happy to do some improvements.

Also, I've added a couple more minutes since some of you said time was not enough.

@CPicard, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Catapilla has more than enough recognition (on this site and everywhere else) to make this list. About Culpeper, well, you're right, but as I said I was forced to include some VERY obscure bands to make the number, and having one from Denmark instead of the nth from UK looked better to me. Big smile Still, they are a good band and very well-rated on rateyourmusic, too.

@TheH, some short forms are accepted when possible, and I've just added some more. Typing just Raccomandata should be enough. Smile

Edited by Turamarth - August 31 2014 at 19:00
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 19:16
Originally posted by Turamarth Turamarth wrote:

@Prog_Traveller, I chose to limit it to the "classic era" simply because I wanted to. Smile Also I'm not extremely knowledgeable about more recent prog and even with help from this and other sites (which of course I used a lot to create the quiz anyway) I surely would have missed something important. And lastly, for more recent artits it's also much more difficult to decide if they "truly" belong to progressive rock or not, take for instance progressive metal, or post-rock.

Anyway, I'm sure that you know better than me that the distinction between what is prog and what is not has never been completely clear, so I thought it was fair to include some bands that may not be prog rock in the strictest sense (e.g. Golden Earring, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep and others), but are definitely "prog-related", as you say here.

The "obscure" inclusion were forced by the number, but if you feel that I should take out some and you can suggest some good alternatives, I'll be happy to do some improvements.

Also, I've added a couple more minutes since some of you said time was not enough.

@CPicard, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Catapilla has more than enough recognition (on this site and everywhere else) to make this list. About Culpeper, well, you're right, but as I said I was forced to include some VERY obscure bands to make the number, and having one from Denmark instead of the nth from UK looked better to me. Big smile Still, they are a good band and very well-rated on rateyourmusic, too.

@TheH, some short forms are accepted when possible, and I've just added some more. Typing just Raccomandata should be enough. Smile

I'm glad that prog-traveller talked me into taking your quiz(it didn't take muchLOL) but it was pretty cool. Funny but I guessed Catapilla on one of the questions but it was the wrong one. Culpeper I wouldn't have got but it was fun to do this. Oh and I was glad the short form for ELP and PFM worked. I actually spelled Van Der Graaf Generator right so I didn't try the short form there.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - August 31 2014 at 19:18

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 20:46
Originally posted by Turamarth Turamarth wrote:

Welcome to the site and thanks for your input. Of course you are entitled to make it just "old school prog." As long as you aren't one of these people who still thinks prog died in 1978( and has at least heard of Spock's Beard, IQ, Flower Kings, Glass Hammer etc for starters). Do those people even still exist? Wink  I'm just so used to the onslaught of newer prog that it just seemed a bit unusual(in a good way)to me to see something devoted to just vintage prog. Ten to fifteen years ago it would have been more common( Supernatural Fairy tales box set for example). Personally I like both old and new. Thanks for creating such a hardcore progfan kind of quiz. 

Edited by Prog_Traveller - August 31 2014 at 20:47
paulindigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:42
I got 91/100... But I should add that I'm Italian...

Edited by paulindigo - September 01 2014 at 10:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>