Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDick Dickerson and the Garden Party Pixies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dick Dickerson and the Garden Party Pixies
    Posted: August 30 2014 at 21:21
I have a couple of friends who started listening to Progressive Rock music in the past year. They think King Crimson may be the best band in existence, Yes is awesome, Genesis is just okay (they find Peter Gabriel obnoxious). They consider all the major Prog groups they've heard to be at least pretty good EXCEPT for Marillion.

When sharing Prog with newcomers, has anyone else come across cases where they find Fish's voice to be the most obnoxious thing in all of music? The first time they heard "Blind Curve", one of them died, while the other kept wheezing til he hit euphoria. The more Fish they heard, the more they were convinced Marillion and Neo-Prog were laughably bad. A LOT. From the moment in "Forgotten Sons" where Fish goes "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHMEN" to "Garden Party" where he yells "OH GOD NOT AGAIN", he definitely has had his share of absurd moments. Thoughts?

Side note: When one of my comrades found out Fish's real name was Derek Dick, he started calling him Dick Dickerson (reason for the topic title).
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 09:41
I've not encountered this, Marillion has usually been one of the easiest sells for me!
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 10:22
I've never been a great fan of his voice. I guess he has a distinctive style which you either like or you don't.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 10:54
Hogarth era Marillion is a much easier sell I've found. Most people laugh at Fish's histrionics while they think Hogarth is a great singer.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:04
Ditch friends like this unceremoniously.

My Godson hates some prog (King Crimson, IQ, Genesis) but loves Marillion, so no - Fish's voice is NOT universlly disliked by any means.

And I love both versions of Marillion but also Peter Gabriel, who was the soul of early Genesis.

Edited by Hercules - August 31 2014 at 14:07
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:25
I understand their point of view. Script may very well be my least favorite Fish-era Marillion album. The band had not quite gelled and they try REALLY hard to sound like pros, so much so in fact, they frequently overdo it and Fish is more guilty than the rest. He sings dramatically just to be dramatic and it does not serve the music very well. Fugazi works much better. I do not know many people who listen to Marillion or have even heard them, but of the few that do and have, Fish's vocals are not their favorite part yet they do not dislike them to the extent that they hate the music. Me, I appreciate the clear enunciation, which is the very reason for it. PG, Dave Cousins, and Cat Stevens also went the same path.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:27
At the time that Script came out, I thought it was a friggin masterpiece! I had finally found my new Genesis, and Fish' vocals were a big part of that. Fast forward to Brave and Marbles with H's vocals and the maturity of a great band, and Script barely holds a candle. Marillion has gotten better and better with age, as STCBM proves yet again.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 03:26
Spot the album between VdGG's Vital and Starcastle's Real to Reel. Smile

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply