FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRIP Glenn Cornick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Glenn Cornick
    Posted: August 31 2014 at 02:43
Sadly, Glenn Cornick - Tull's original bass player -  has passed away at just 67.

His fluid style was remarkable.

RIP.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 07:15
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 08:37
Is a very sad News... In my opinion the best bass player from all of J. Tull line-up! Beside this is more sad the fact of Glen have only 67 years old ! The team of Musician's Heaven gets a great reinforcement, probably he stay in a happy conversation with other great bassists like Jaco Pastorus, Felix Pappalardi, Jonh Entwistle and even Jonh Glascock (in my opinion the second best bass player in J Tull line-up). We see and hear you latter Glen, and I hope in can reach the love and peace of GOD.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 15:14
Cry
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 03:21
Apologies for the double post.....I put this elsewhere as well.

This is spooky. I was thinking of Glenn Cornick on the weekend as I voted in the poll of Jack Bruce vs John Entwhistle and immediately thought of Glenn. Why? Well it's a long story......here how it goes........

I put up for sale on eBay an original Australian glossy, non gatefold cover of Tull's 1969 album Stand Up, which in a nutshell was a fairly rare album. I had one bidder who won; the winner's email address came up as one [email protected] asked the obvious question via email "Your pulling my leg aren't you?" No, he wasn't ...... it was in fact THE Glenn Cornick. 

I then asked him if he didn't mind me asking him a few questions. Which he obligingly did. One of those questions was "who was your greatest influence(s) in regards to bass playing". He came back with "The Ox (I.e. John Entwhistle) and McCartney (esp. 1966-1967 era). 

I was reassured that it was THE Glenn Cornick when my Aussie Stand Up album that I sold him (for 
less than AUD$5 BTW) subsequently appeared on his website.

This is a very sad day as now the original Jethro Tull line-up cannot perform together, ever again. I was hoping that they would on the 50th anniversary in 2018.

Glenn was a master craftsman. Listen to the intro to Living In The Past and the bass solo on Bouree to name a few.

He was a very affable guy and a brilliant musician too boot.

A very sad day indeed.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 03:23
RIP
Mr. Groovy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 17:46
Cool story! Never saw Glenn with Jethro Tull (would love to have seen the "Benefit" tour) I did see Wild Turkey on a Black Sabbath tour. Don't remember much about 'em. Are you in Oz? I lived there 1975-1980 :)
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 05:57
Originally posted by Mr. Groovy Mr. Groovy wrote:

Cool story! Never saw Glenn with Jethro Tull (would love to have seen the "Benefit" tour) I did see Wild Turkey on a Black Sabbath tour. Don't remember much about 'em. Are you in Oz? I lived there 1975-1980 :)

Thanks. I must admit Glenn was probably my favourite bassist in Tull.......Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond and John Glascock were also absolutely brilliant in different ways as well. Glenn's work with Wild Turkey especially on the album "Battle Hymn" is better than what he did with Tull; Battle Hymn is a 5 star album and any prog appreciator should acquire and listen to it. Question: Why isn't Wild Turkey in Progarchives? Have they ever been put up for consideration.

(Yep, I live in the supposed "most liveable city in the world" i.e. Melbourne. Don't know about that......the amount of traffic is becoming unbearable by the year and public transport is mostly on the nearer side of sh*te. But it mostly has a very good coffee and food culture.)
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:07
I whole-heartedly endorse this post. 
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:08
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

Is a very sad News... In my opinion the best bass player from all of J. Tull line-up! Beside this is more sad the fact of Glen have only 67 years old ! The team of Musician's Heaven gets a great reinforcement, probably he stay in a happy conversation with other great bassists like Jaco Pastorus, Felix Pappalardi, Jonh Entwistle and even Jonh Glascock (in my opinion the second best bass player in J Tull line-up). We see and hear you latter Glen, and I hope in can reach the love and peace of GOD.

Totally agree with these sentiments.  Thank you for the post.
 Post Reply Post Reply