Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUltravox and beyond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

His bad choice of words then.! Certainly not mine.Mind you , you did post once something about humor and grains of salt.  Dean, you obviously don't need any wing men, having your strong opinions based on some solid arguments but a few have popped up on occasion.  One cannot help noticing and making fun of it. PA is not democracy but we are allowed to disagree, I mean that kind of censorship would spell the demise of any site, save the NSDAP glee club. LOL
You asked how can I champion someone who is ineligible? The answer is simple - I promoted them in the General Music forum without formally suggesting them for evaluation and without trying to make a case for their "progginess". If I cannot convince myself that they have a place here then I stand no chance of convincing any one else. However, I can recommend them to other people. 

How that relates to having courage (ie the balls) only David can answer.LOL

What?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 13:43
Hope that Magazine will get a look. Barry Adamson's bass still resonates with me , those first 2 albums were amazing. I saw them live and it was tremendously adventurous. McGeoch played a mean guitar and Formula's keys electrifying. 
Howard Devoto , easily the oddest looking bloke ever, second only to Ian Dury! LOL 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 13:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

His bad choice of words then.! Certainly not mine.Mind you , you did post once something about humor and grains of salt.  Dean, you obviously don't need any wing men, having your strong opinions based on some solid arguments but a few have popped up on occasion.  One cannot help noticing and making fun of it. PA is not democracy but we are allowed to disagree, I mean that kind of censorship would spell the demise of any site, save the NSDAP glee club. LOL
You asked how can I champion someone who is ineligible? The answer is simple - I promoted them in the General Music forum without formally suggesting them for evaluation and without trying to make a case for their "progginess". If I cannot convince myself that they have a place here then I stand no chance of convincing any one else. However, I can recommend them to other people. 

How that relates to having courage (ie the balls) only David can answer.LOL

Which is why I only 'presumed' Wink He needs to explain himself clearly......LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 14:08

Pointy sideburns and enigmatic looks - sorry not prog !

Wink

Better off with a Post-Punk Archives somewhere otherwise we could go on forever...

If we let them in we would have nothing to talk about...
Help me I'm falling!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 03:10

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yes but at least they have balls ! Embarrassed Atavachron's stellar and world class comment earlier.
Not sure in what context that's meant.

Again why are only a handful allowed to make band inclusions and rejections when so many post here?
Confused
Some commentators have their own bodyguards and apologists . David was referring to Dean's balls . I presume they have met
OK....fair enough.
I know we have gone off topic but it would be nice if the members of PA had some say in the band choices.
David lives in California, USA, I reside in Hampshire, UK. We have never met though I would not pass-up the opportunity should it ever arise. He is not my wing-man, nor I his, and we have never been on the same genre team (he was Heavy Prog, I was Crossover, PR & PP) and we have had some disagreements in the past but never serious ones.

I had no idea a conversation about my balls had occurred; they weren't even ringing.  And I absolutely am Dean's wingman anytime he needs one, not that he often does.

BTW it was tzirmay's scrotum I was referring to.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 03:27

Yes but at least they have balls ! Embarrassed Atavachron's stellar and world class comment earlier.  

Again why are only a handful allowed to make band inclusions and rejections when so many post here?
Confused

Some commentators have their own bodyguards and apologists . David was referring to Dean's balls . I presume they have met . 
OK....fair enough.
I know we have gone off topic but it would be nice if the members of PA had some say in the band choices.

They do - they just have to volunteer to join one of the genre teams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 03:50
As much as I subscribe to the ideas of democracy, it's still utopian to think that PA would be able to implement the power of "everybody" in the eval process. It'd take ages before we'd reach a verdict.
Also, I happen to subscribe to the notion that some indeed are more knowledgeable about certain facets of the prog rock umbrella. These people often end up on teams that reflect this. That's why I was part of the electronic team for a bit: I am a big fan of PE and have read a lot about it and it's progression. The same goes for every other team member out there methinks.
In addition to that: the folks who are responsible for the evaluating/adding process also need to be on the same page as PA - meaning having at least some bearings on the different subs, and moreover how we use them. 
Case in point: I have seen a lot of members, who obviously know their stuff and have probably been there with prog ever since it dropped out of Fripp's poop shute back during the Korean war.....yet with ideas on what prog is that simply go against the site. Johnny Winter, Grateful Dead, Free, Cream and loads of other blues rock bands, who probably were immensely progressive for their day yet had nothing to do with prog. 
What I'm getting at is that PA obviously looks for collabs who are on the same page as it. I gather that's how I ended up on the electronic team in the first place. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 03 2014 at 03:51
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:43
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Wink

Better off with a Post-Punk Archives somewhere otherwise we could go on forever...

What about Anti-Prog as a new sub-genre of PA?

Just kidding, of course.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:16
Thanks to Tszirmay, Dean, Chopper, Guld for explaining the process of including bands.
Personally I would think it would be nice to have some input from the general board members in some small way .
Maybe the members could all vote and if it's over a 50% yes for inclusion then that could count en masse as one vote for inclusion to add to the collaborators votes. Just a thought.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:27

Thanks to Tszirmay, Dean, Chopper, Guld for explaining the process of including bands.
Personally I would think it would be nice to have some input from the general board members in some small way .
Maybe the members could all vote and if it's over a 50% yes for inclusion then that could count en masse as one vote for inclusion to add to the collaborators votes. Just a thought.
Smile
Just a thought, but a damn good thought!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:44
Cool Cool

This is part of the current evaluation list. Let me know when every member has voted on every suggestion:

?Live
[blue ]
99 Names of God
Abstruse
Akord
All India Radio
Anabasi Road
Antethic
Atlantis
Attilion
Audrey Fall
Brontide
Built-In Obsolescence
Chimeres
Colaris
Constantina
Counterfeit i
Days of Ashes
Deaf Scene
Deep Space Destructors
Disperse
Distant Past
Echoes
Echoes and Signals
False Coda
Fragments Of An Empire
Gastric Band
Generous Men
Glasgow Coma Scale
Grupa Stress
H.A.A.S.
Heavy Vegetable
Hey!Tonal
Hug
I Was Given Feet To Follow You
Idee Confuse
Ion
Ipsilon
Jason Rubenstein
John Gallow
Kostas Tournas
Landscape
Liam
Like Nomads
Limp
Maestrick
Mercurial Void
Metallic Taste Of Blood
Michael Brook
Nami
Napokon
Newspaperflyhunting
Nick-Nack
Numph
Oceanic
Oceanus
Oiseaux - Tempete
Ora Nombro
oteme
Pearls of Swines
Pendulum
Policromia
rEarth
Rite Of Passage
Rodan
Silence the Aria
Skullflower
Sleep Rebellion
Solitude
Sounds Like the End of the World
Superdrama
Swingers
Symphony Novel
Taylor Watson
The Physics House Band
The Retaliation For What They Have Done To Us
The Satellite
The Shell Collector
The Skull Defekts
Tides Of Man
Transmissions 13
Tuber
Two Seas
Unbroken Spirit
Valenor
Vlad Tepes
Wassermans Fiebertraum
Watter
Yawn Hic
Yggdrasil
Z.O.A
Zoviser Zazarka

Edited by Dean - September 03 2014 at 09:45
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 10:16

Smile

But that's never going to happen. If only 4 people vote for a particular band and 2 of them say yes, then they'd be in but it still wouldn't be a very representative sample, and the sheer volume of new bands as demonstrated by Dean makes this impractical.

I do believe we need a new system to cope with the volume but I'm not sure what the solution is.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Smile

But that's never going to happen. If only 4 people vote for a particular band and 2 of them say yes, then they'd be in but it still wouldn't be a very representative sample, and the sheer volume of new bands as demonstrated by Dean makes this impractical.

I do believe we need a new system to cope with the volume but I'm not sure what the solution is.
Those are good points.....a long list of bands is hard to go through and if only a handful votes then it's not a large sample but then the same argument is true for only a handful of collaborators  judging them to begin with.
Perhaps require a minimum number of voters (10 or more..?)  to make the sample valid. And allow only a certain number of submissions per month to keep it manageable...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Confused
Some commentators have their own bodyguards and apologists . David was referring to Dean's balls . I presume they have met
OK....fair enough.
David lives in California, USA, I reside in Hampshire, UK. We have never met though I would not pass-up the opportunity should it ever arise. He is not my wing-man, nor I his, and we have never been on the same genre team (he was Heavy Prog, I was Crossover, PR & PP) and we have had some disagreements in the past but never serious ones.

I had no idea a conversation about my balls had occurred; they weren't even ringing.  And I absolutely am Dean's wingman anytime he needs one, not that he often does.

BTW it was tzirmay's scrotum I was referring to.

Well, you obviously do not know my scrotum too well as you forgot to add an S to my username. LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:37
...the unkindest cut of all Pinch
What?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:48

...the unkindest cut of all Pinch

Castration will be my epitaph and I fear tomorrow I'll be crying ! LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:00
I have voted on Pendulum and I voted no and there are no votes for.  So Pendulum will not be admitted.

(TFFT)
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:01
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Wink

What about Anti-Prog as a new sub-genre of PA?

Just kidding, of course.

That would be Genesis P Orridge and he's already here...
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:28

Smile

Those are good points.....a long list of bands is hard to go through and if only a handful votes then it's not a large sample but then the same argument is true for only a handful of collaborators  judging them to begin with.
Perhaps require a minimum number of voters (10 or more..?)  to make the sample valid.
Unfortunately 10 voters is no more representative than 3, and could even be less representative. And no, it is not the same argument (at all, ever).

Team members are representatives for the whole membership but they, (by virtue of being carefully selected), are not a representative sample of the whole membership. If being "representative" were a team membership criteria then the Prog Metal Team would have members that hate Metal and do not believe that it should be included on a Prog Rock site, at least two team members would like Prog Metal if it didn't have death-growl vocals and we'd have one numpty who couldn't tell the difference between Symphonic Metal and Power Metal even if their life depended upon it. [And the Indo/Ragu Prog team would be composed entirely of people who had no idea that the subgenre existed or what it was about Wink]. 

With random member voting we would have no way of gauging how representative their votes are or whether they have been objective in their voting - I could go and "no" vote every Jazz Rock/Fusion suggestion without even listening to a single track simply because I dislike JR/F, or I could "no" vote every band from Wiltshire or "yes" vote every band with a female bass-player; or (and this is seriously more likely) I could "yes" vote all the bands I like and "no" vote all the ones I don't like. PA additions are not a popularity contest yet addition voting would turn into one, ask yourself how many people vote for their "favourite" band in Prog Polls instead of actually voting as directed in the Poll question?

As an aside. I have long since stated that majority-voting is wrong, the vote should be unanimous with every team member voting, but this is unworkable (and difficult for me to explain) so we are stuck with majority-voting.

And allow only a certain number of submissions per month to keep it manageable...?
This is untenable and unworkable, moving the backlog further upstream doesn't reduce the workload, the total number of suggestions would remain the same, we'd just have a huge "pending" list instead.

I believe this too, and part of the solution lays in scrapping the artist subgenres and having album tagging instead. This way the genre a band resides in would be an automatic process determined by the tagging statistics of their albums (and this could be weighted on album average to ensure that they were placed for their more popular albums). This would also streamline the genre teams down to the four disciplines of Metal, Rock, Jazz and Electronic. Now the teams only have to decide whether the band is Prog or not. 

Prog Related would remain the category supervised by the Admin Team and they would be given the ability to delete bands.

It would also help considerably if we had a [non-Prog] category for "unsigned" bands where all the Bandcamp suggestions would be placed once a genre team had voted them in. An artist would only be moved out of that category when they have more than a predetermined number of reviews, which would filter out all the bands that are only famous for fifteen people. This category would be subject to regular culling.

Edited by Dean - September 03 2014 at 12:34
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:31

I have voted on Pendulum and I voted no and there are no votes for.  So Pendulum will not be admitted.

(TFFT)
But but but but the SWilson sings on one of their songs and they have a keytar ... a freakin' keytar damit!
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>