Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (102)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [50.00%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (102)
    Posted: September 01 2014 at 15:09
Cartoon : Sortie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPotdyCdhI

Man Made : St
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uknGNdk-RI4

Snakes Alive : St
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoxgOlYfzc

Sweet Sl*g  : Tracking With Close-Ups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiiqK_87s8k
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 15:14

Snakes Alive, Australia

Snakes Alive - s/t. 1974 EMI. 

In the early 70s, the music world was teeming with jazz fusion bands. The major two schools were a) The technically proficient, as defined by the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever and Weather Report. And b) The Miles Davis long track deep groove, with many followers in Germany (in particular the MPS label), Poland, Italy, USA and beyond. These were jazzers who were fascinated with rock's rhythms and power. But finding rockers who were fascinated by jazz was a much more rare breed. And that's why they call it jazz fusion. Snakes Alive are a rock fusion band. Of course bands like Mahavishnu come to mind. Even early Zappa and Xhol Caravan. But, you know, Finch did too - for example. There are vocals, but they're sparse. Trumpet, sax, flute, organ, guitar are the solo instruments. And it rocks with a capital R. This is a good one, that's slipped way under the radar. Extremely obscure - I've never seen an original. Looks like it may have been a demo, without wide release (or any release). This would be a good one for Aztec to reissue. A bootleg exists. CDRWL.
The bootleg is available at Greg Walker's house. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 16:53
I only know Cartoon, but damnit it's sweet as hell.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 18:53
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I only know Cartoon, but damnit it's sweet as hell.

I have to go with Cartoon as well, and it's the only one I know. Great recording though.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 18:58
I only know the Cartoon as well but I voted for Man Made.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 01:21
Yeah guys, that Cartoon album is terrific. So strange and disturbing. Darryl, Man Made is something I discovered  at the same time as the first Chicago album.I love them both so much. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 04:52
Man Made - Man Made (Can 1971, psych)

Formed: Montreal, QC, Canada

Members:
* Billy Ledster (vocals, electric piano),
* Jean Ranger (organ, synthesizer, backing vocals),
* Richard Terry (bass, backing vocals),
* Claude Roy (drums),
* Roger Walls (horns, flute),
Michel Como (vocals),
* Denis Como (drums),
* Gille Beland (drums),
* Rejean Benjamin (drums),
* Bob Baines, Jerry Mercer (drums),
* Glen Higgins (guitar),
* Gerry Bribosia (guitar),
* Garry Beattie (guitar)

Related Artists: April WineIllustration

Media: LP
Label: GOOD NOISE
Release Number: GN5001

Tracks:
A1. Man Made 19:54
B1. Carnival 5:08
B2. Reflections 3:00
B3. Evolution 3:10
B4. Keep on Moving 2:15
B5. Country Company 2:30

Montreal-based Canadian progressive gem...side 1 includes only one long(19'54")track entitled "Mann Made" , which is very interesting,mixing progressive,classical and elctronic music with spooky and dreamy organ passages,acidy guitarleads,flute solos,harsh vocals...side 2 except "Keep On Moving" ,which utilises fast rhythms with horns and synthesizers contains more slow and melodic moments like "Country Company" and "Reflections" with a hypnotic mood... "Carnival" is a strong mid-tempo ballad,sounding like a combination of Tim Buckley and Tim Hardin, but with also harsh vocals...the cut called "Evolution" ,which is the album's highlight,features good rhythm and stunning lead guitar work with several similarities to Pink Floyd's music...
It's housed in great and funny sleeve artwork...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:28

By 1971 the UK rock music scene was undergoing change. The psychedelic era was on the wane as a Syd Barrett-less Pink Floyd departed from the surrealist brilliance of Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Progressive rock, with Peter Gabriel at its helm dressed as a transvestite fox, was getting grander and more conceptual. David Bowie was about to christen himself Ziggy Stardust and Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were ushering in a new heavier sound with their own reinterpretation of the blues.

With this in mind it’s difficult to see where Tracking with Close Ups, the sole album by UK band Sweet sl*g. fits into the music scene at the time. Practically nothing is known of the band, except that they were a four-piece outfit from London and cut their solitary album for the President Record label.

Tracking With Close Ups

Sweet sl*g.s music is less concerned about creating anthemic popular rock like Zeppelin or Sabbath, and though their sound could be deemed psychedelic or progressive the over all feel of the album is darker with none of the pretence that would be normally found on albums in these genres. In truthTracking with Close Ups owes much to the free experimentation of Zappa and Beefheart, with references to avant guarde composers such as Karl Heinz Stockhausen.

Each of the seven songs on the album are experimental with the entire band soloing freely and seemingly without direction. The tight drumming of Al Chambers and steady bass of Jack O’Neill just about manage to hold the threads of the ideas together.

This freedom of expression can be a bit off-putting for the casual listener, but as in the best avant guarde work of John Coltrane, there are moments when all the ideas and discordant improvisations come together and intricate melodies weave their way out from the maelstrom.

“Rain Again” repeatedly morphs through different styles and time signatures over it’s 10 plus minutes, beginning with hazy horns over Chambers’ lazy funk break-beat, before quickly disintegrating into cacophony. ‘Twisted Trip Woman’ with its incessant bass riff is also a highlight, with a middle section which sounds like it could’ve been lifted straight off of a Plastic People of the Universe LP.

Bleak Lyrics

Vocalist and lead guitarist Mick Kerensky takes writing credits for all seven songs, and his lyrics are full of bleak imagery concerning his complete hatred and mistrust of society. “World of Ice” is the most psychedelic track; a slow eerie 'stoner rock’ tune much akin to “The End” by the Doors.

An embodiment of Kerensky’s paranoia, its eerie bass riff and swathes of atmospheric percussion lead on to his tortured guitar solo, which moves by turns discordant and delicate to create something truly beautiful and melancholic. Suicidal fairly sums it up.

The final track ‘Babyi Ar’ is based on the poem by Yevgeny Yevtushenko about the Jewish massacres at Babi Yar in 1941 perpetrated by the Nazi's. Kerensky screams the song title repeatedly over the horrific noises conjured up by the rest of the group. It stands as a poignant homage to the darker side of the human condition, and a fitting way to end an album so eager to explore this part of mans psyche. Gerard Fannon. Oct 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42grrKYh4SU

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 23:59

Cartoon, formed in 1979 in Phoenix by Scott Brazieal (keyboards) and Mark Innocenti (guitars), and relocated to San Francisco in 1981 with the addition of Gary Parra (drums), specialized in prog-rock that mixed classical, rock and jazz elements. This trio released
Cartoon (1981), a gem of an instrumental album. The confused beginning of Shark slowly coalesces into what sounds like a poppy version of Terry Riley's In C, which in turn picks up speed and becomes a soaring fanfare (the last minute paraphrases Beethoven's ninth). Avantgarde piano pervades Ptomaine Poisoning Echoes of Henry Cow and Frank Zappa embellish the sprightly Apathy in America and its catchy leitmotif. The reckless, breakneck, 11-minute Shredded Wheat is full of surprises and amusing digressions, exuding a youthful enthusiasm. The album overflows with intriguing ideas, but the execution is often timid and naif.

Cartoon achieved maturity with Music From Left Field (12-Tone Productions, 1983), featuring Herbert Diamant (woodwinds) and Craig Fry (violin). thanks to a fuller, orchestral sound the 15-minute Quotes is an abstract, mostly improvised piece that occasionally coalesces in rhythmic, childish themes worthy of a Stravinsky ballet. Bedlam is its less conceptual counterpart, and proves their technical skills and concentration. But it is the adagio-like Light in August that fully attests to the power of their art. Both romantic and impressionistic, evocative and menacing, it achieves the intensity of a classical sonata. The folkish, danceable Scherzo leads to the rondo-like Bottom of the Ninth, which closes what is, de facto, a five-movement sonata. The two albums were later collected on Sortie(Cuneiform, 1994).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:54
I like them all, of course, but I went with Snakes Alive. Thumbs Up
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 18:18
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I like them all, of course, but I went with Snakes Alive. Thumbs Up