Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
56 [40.00%]
84 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:02
No contest whatsoever. "Tarkus" wins hands down, as in my view it is second only to "Close to the Edge" in terms of everything a true prog epic should be.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ I think I know the analogy you'd make about "Supper's", Micky:

That "Supper's" is an unhappily married couple sitting in bed together, ignoring each other and reading boring books.

In prog form! Tongue

LOL amen to THAT!!  Clap

well done sir. I just tossed the ball towards the rim... figuring someone would catch it and slam it home.

You get the deuce sir... I'm happy to get the assist!!

Thank you.

I do think of "Supper's" as pretty epic, but I know exactly where you're coming from. It took me a bit of time to come to like it, so I know how it can sneak by a listener - it's just so light and quiet! If it loses you, you'll miss everything, and it's its own fault. Very take it or leave it.

And "Tarkus" is leagues beyond it. Cool
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:46
Waiting for the day Micky will leave the closet and declare his purest love to Genesis...Tongue it always happens when someone is too much concerned about an issue. Wink
Guigo

~~~~~~
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:51
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Waiting for the day Micky will leave the closet and declare his purest love to Genesis...Tongue it always happens when someone is too much concerned about an issue. Wink

As we say in Italian, "he/she who despises something eventually buys it" (chi disprezza compra)Wink....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:53

hah.  there is no closet that can hold Micky..  since when have I ever shied away from an opinion out of fear of lack of acceptance.. especally here.

Angry  I love Genesis... I FULLY admit it.. and always have LOL 

Hey.. I did actually go to a New Kids on the Block concert, not of my own free will of course (even then I still had a tattered remnant of a reputation).. my g/f at teh time promised to make my hair stand up straight if I chaperoned her younger sister and her friends into D.C to see the show.

and you know what...  even THAT was more fun and energetic than listening a damn Genesis prog album hahah

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:54
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As we say in Italian, "he/she who despises something eventually buys it" (chi disprezza compra)Wink....

"Quem desdenha quer comprar" LOL
Guigo

~~~~~~
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 17:57

I love Genesis... I FULLY admit it.. and always have 

Hug
Guigo

~~~~~~
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 18:00

I love Genesis... I FULLY admit it.. and always have 

Hug

Hug

Heart 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 20:02
Incredibly, I don't like Tarkus (Not the albuim not the album, not the song)

It seems to me a mechanical  lack of soul piece of music.

Give me Karn Evil 9, give me Hoedown, give me Trilogy, but keep Tarkus aways from me.

And about SR, not my favorite Genesis song (Not even fromn Foxtrot, I Stay with Can Utility), but it's light years ahead, pure emotion

There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying with a loud voice,
"This is the Supper of the mighty one",
Lord of Lords,
King of Kings,
Has returned to lead his children home,
To take them to the new Jerusalem!

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 20:35
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ I think I know the analogy you'd make about "Supper's", Micky:

That "Supper's" is an unhappily married couple sitting in bed together, ignoring each other and reading boring books.

In prog form! Tongue

Lol--no it's a happily reunited couple who just found love and now are getting fried. 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 20:41
^ You're right. I was just putting words for Micky's thoughts. I do love that suite.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 02:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Incredibly, I don't like Tarkus (Not the albuim not the album, not the song)

It seems to me a mechanical  lack of soul piece of music.

Give me Karn Evil 9, give me Hoedown, give me Trilogy, but keep Tarkus aways from me.

And about SR, not my favorite Genesis song (Not even fromn Foxtrot, I Stay with Can Utility), but it's light years ahead, pure emotion

There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying with a loud voice,
"This is the Supper of the mighty one",
Lord of Lords,
King of Kings,
Has returned to lead his children home,
To take them to the new Jerusalem!

Ivan , you and Greg Lake could well be on the same page as he has never been that keen on it either.Smile Tarkus had a difficult birth as is well known with Lake even threatening to walk out when he heard the initial composition. However Lake added Battlefield and a few other bits and pieces to put his own stamp on it.

Talking of Battlefield would you consider that to be lacking in emotion? That guitar solo is something that even someone like Gilmour could be proud of.

Edited by richardh - January 04 2015 at 02:22
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 06:55
Honestly I assume that I really tried quite a bit to get SR's complexity, but as it happens to me wtih some other prog, I admit that it always manages to distract me at some point. But I won't give up trying to feel its emotions and beauties, maybe next year I give it another spin.  

On the other hand I find Tarkus far more accessible for my orgasmic delight (what in my case happily happens with most of ELP music
Tongue.)

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 07:13
Supper's Ready .... pure magic
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 19:48
And in the end, the tally, as always, makes no difference as to what the tune should mean to you.
More people like rap/hip hop than both of these tracks  =(

=) 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 21:36
Both my father and I have always loved Supper's Ready, and I dislike ELP, so I think I know what my choice would be.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 21:43
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

And in the end, the tally, as always, makes no difference as to what the tune should mean to you.
More people like rap/hip hop than both of these tracks  =(

=) 
Some people like both
<----------------
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 10:23
Tarkus
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 10:53
No need to vote, it's clear to see which one is the winner.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 10:59
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

No need to vote, it's clear to see which one is the winner.

maybe, but it's still worth discussing.

These days I prefer Tarkus to Supper's Ready. Tarkus holds better for me than the Genesis epic which I rarely listen to these days. But then again, I listened to Foxtrot quite a bit since I first listened to it back in mid 90s. These days I just listen to the sort(er) ones on Foxtrot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>