Poll Question: what is the best song
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
56 [40.00%]
84 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 11:56
Genesis
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 18:47
Suppers Ready! Big smile
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 19:34
The only song I enjoy more than Suppers Ready is The Revealing Science Of God. So I voted Genesis...
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 22:08
Tarkus is excellent..
Supper's exceptional.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 03:51
Supper's Ready by miles. 
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 06:43
Both great but, Genesis wins
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:23
Can't decide. Love them both
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:47
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

^ You're right. I was just putting words for Micky's thoughts. I do love that suite.

Suppers Ready takes you on a journey and by the end you are so moved---it may be the greatest finale of a prog song ever---the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and very often get a tear in my eye ----it's because the whole thing is such great literary and music genius---humor peppered with dark deep sad moments----quiet instruments with heavy in your face sound---love it.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Tarkus
Three years later and still have the same opinion. I like Supper's Ready a bit more than before though.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 17:02
Oh no, I looked at the thread title and I.. I can't. I just can't!! 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 08:19
Two of the best songs ever written.

Only "Close To The Edge" tops them (in my opinion.)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 16:03
There's one part in Tarkus that seems to go on for about three minutes and is a bit tedious and my least favorite part of the track. SR has nothing like that so SR for me. Over all both are great though but SR might be the best track in all of prog(which is saying something).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 21:48
Is it the Mass part? That's the one that brings down the song for me. I guess it might be safe to say that Supper's Ready has one such part too, the Willows Farm one I think (a sort of comic part in the middle of the song)... but even if I usually dislike such pieces, it really works beautifully on SR (and actually is the reason I like better the studio version of this song over the live ones, for this part is not usually done as well as the original one).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 04:51
Ha !   Six pages in and I still hold off........ Can't decide......most likely Tarkus, but I just can't prefer one over the other (just to be a fastidious, pompous t**t.....)
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 15:28
ELP, but Genesis is so close...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 16:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Is it the Mass part? That's the one that brings down the song for me. I guess it might be safe to say that Supper's Ready has one such part too, the Willows Farm one I think (a sort of comic part in the middle of the song)... but even if I usually dislike such pieces, it really works beautifully on SR (and actually is the reason I like better the studio version of this song over the live ones, for this part is not usually done as well as the original one).

Not sure but it's rather fast and features organ. It's not that it's bad but it doesn't add much and just seems to go on too long. It starts at around 10:55 and goes on until around 12:38. Here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNOlDtZluU&t=801s There is a brief break from that sound about half way through it but then it picks right up again. Confused

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 11 2017 at 16:26
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 19:35
I think there is no competition here---Tarkus has some great parts but an equal amount of freaking annoying sounds and parts---and the orgasmic finale of Supper is one of the greatest finales on any prog album--but it's just my opinion but a great 3 piece is never as interesting to me as a 5 piece prog band. The fullness of the sound is apparent.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 05:23
The polarisation here is to be expected. 
I have listened to Tarkus more than SR in the past two years - but that is due to the sad deaths of 2/3 of ELP!
I think that Tarkus is a marvellous example of pompous prog at it's zenith - and I think that the live version is better - but then I think that Jordan Rudess' version is even better still.....(that will put the cat amongst the pigeons).
But.
Supper's Ready is also a prog-zenith opus - and (except the singing) the seconds out version is better than the studio version - a religious epic without the Morse Zeal - and the final section live - with Hacketts towering guitar-work - stands like the kings of gondor above the rest of the prog landscape in my opinion!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 08:09
^ Yes Barney the finale of SR is a towering achievement ---Banks keys build---after those three chimes the buildup to Hackett is just genius for those 21 year olds to come up with.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:10
Supper's Ready by leaps, bounds, and light years.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>