Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you stick with what you know?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you stick with what you know?
    Posted: September 02 2014 at 06:24
Corvus Stone do not stick with what you know!
We are about to release an album called II (or if you prefer: "2")
Having had many reviews for album 1 and read endless reviews of other "prog" albums, we already know that many who gravitate to the genre that we all know as Progressive Rock, have decided pretty much what a prog album should be. They either consider themselves experts or have chosen their own little sub genre or even era of prog.
A strange fact is that "normal" people, who have no idea what prog is, are much less narrow minded. It could be said that they are open minded or in fact, don't give a tinkers cuss about genres and rules.
Now this is all very confusing. How did it come to be, that music with no boundaries attracted the worst possible audience?
This is of course, a generalisation. Only a small percentage of people have the time or inclination to listen to music in the same way that prog fans do, so prog fans are our main audience.

It is true to say that many "prog" bands and critics treat "Prog" as tho' there are fixed rules, set back in the early 70s.  The fact is that what we now call prog rock, was made extraordinary because it did NOT follow rules. 
The commercial world set rules for reasons of profit. That makes sense. Our kind of music doesn't easily fit profit rules.
Prog experts often think that all progressive albums must be judged by VERY strict rules. That is insane!
Here are some basic rules against which we are all judged:
Long albums are bad (why?). Short tracks are bad (Why?). Simple melodies are too... simple (WTF?). An album should flow (90% of the time, that translates to "Boring"). A prog album should sound like the 70s but also NOT sound like the 70s!
Corvus Stone, Beatles

HOW MANY WOULD AGREE WITH THIS?
A probable review for The Beatles white album, if it were released today would not go well!
A prog experts opinion might be
The white album's tracks are all over the genre spectrum. No direction, "Revolution number 9" is pointless. Silly McCartney love songs. Ends with Ringo doing a old people's home goodnight with an orchestra on it. It could have been a good album. Fans may like it.

A commercial/pop reviewer might say
Some of the best rock music ever. A lot of weird stuff on the album but regardless of that, it is one to buy!

Colin's view of it
Brilliant! It never gets boring. There is no other album like this one. Buy it!!!!!!!!

Most bands find their sound after an album or three. Is that a good thing? No it is not! I hope to hell that Corvus Stone never become predictable and create albums that "flow".
Who wants to be "One direction"
See more at: http://www.corvusstone.com/blogstone
http://www.corvusstone.com
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 06:45
Sounds like a case of personal bias and narrow thinking all together - something which is very, very prevalent with connoisseurs of any one musical style. I do see where you're coming from, though. There does appear to be an "elitist" mentality that insists that things need to be a certain way or they're not "prog" or "metal".

I try and avoid that trap, because it ruins experiences with new music all together. I'd like to think I go beyond what I know...that's how I found prog in the first place!

Edited by PrognosticMind - September 02 2014 at 06:46
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 07:37
As I said it's a generalisation. As with most things, there is a minority who skew things.
Still I do find that non prog lovers are, in general, more open minded.
I do find that among old friends, they have no interest in anything they haven't heard of already. They loved all the prog from years ago and seem to have stuck with those things and have no room for any more. Ha ha!
People are funny.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:35
This closed-mindedness occurs in every music scene. Prog is no different. It's people who think they suddenly know how bands should sound in order for them to dig their music. 
I have friends into hip hop who don't listen to anything but that......and then again it has to be a certain kind of hip hop.
The same goes for a lot of my metal friends, electronic friends and yep the list is endless.

Granted, when you surf around PA it's obvious that folks tend to stick with what they like, but how is that any different from what happens in the surrounding world? Prog heads just have a tendency to be more.....errm let's just say specific in the way they talk about music. Probably because a lot of them either play the bassoon or fiddle about with a dozen of analogue synths. 

The people who often listen to the same stuff are a) either incredibly in touch with what they want or b) too old to comprehend the modern ways of beats and whining post rock melancholiaTongue

Or is this just a sneaky way of suggesting members to check out your new album, Colin? Ie nobody understands the working artist - especially when he's doing something out of the ordinary.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 07:31
People are fickle.
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:54
I like many styles of music though I do tend to listen to prog bands more these days.
I like fusion, folk, classical, classic jazz, classic rock, and quite a bit of 'quirky pop' like XTC.
I also listen to alt indie and newer blues rock things like The Black Keys, Jack White, etc.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:46
I know what I know...and that's all that I know...I think
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 16:36
Who is Corvus Stone?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 16:40
Every stick I stick with has two ends.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 18:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I know what I know
And who am I to blow against the wind?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 19:27
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Who is Corvus Stone?
Case in point.  They don't merely not stick with what you know.  They're not even a thing that you know themselves.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:07
Smile
What we will never have again, is a situation where almost everything released has something new and strange about it. Even new instruments were appearing every month back in the 60s. We are now spoiled by choice and have heard it all. The thing about people who don't "listen" to music, is that they don't know this and can be shocked and thrilled by something like Hocus Pocus, Why does it hurt when I pee or Los endos, purely because they have no experience of anything like it before. None of us on here is ever really suprised. Ha ha ha.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 13:44
Qué?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 13:55
Originally posted by odinalcatraz odinalcatraz wrote:

None of us on here is ever really suprised. Ha ha ha.
Nope. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply