Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Punk Rock really kill Prog Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:39
The Electronic side regarding the pulse effect on the synth, reminded me of Chris Carter from Throbbing Gristle. The effects on guitar and some of the playing seems to have a West coast Surf music mentality. The vocals are bizzare and I found it interesting. I checked out 2 tracks so far. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:43
LOL
Nice one, I'm glad you're having fun. Just wait until the long track sets in, and you're really in for some surprises.
Edit: Frankie Teardrop is the track. Had to go look at my vinyl copyEmbarrassed

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 30 2014 at 10:44
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 00:25
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I remember getting off a bus, walking into the club with my gear...and the owner approaching me with a look of fear on his face. He said that The A's had played the night before and that it had taken him the entire day to clean the place up. It felt like a shock then, but today with the accountable violence in the media it equals zero value. It was strange to face Punk. I was in and out of cities every week and when I did run across a Punk band or the violence involved, I tried to remain discreet. Punk (and probably with no intentions whatsoever), killed the idea of being a good musician ..during the years 1977-1981..iN 77' it was a subtle attitude...by 1980 it was cemented into the music scene and "New Wave" ..although having some melodic Rock substances, accepted the attitude to be carried on further. I am only making reference to the United States East coast during these years. It was when the record companies/industry decided that by NOT playing your instrument so perfectly or decently, it could influence people/buyers, in a good way. And it did! The industry invested in "New Wave" which was a subdivision marketing aspect to Punk and in that sense...and only for that brief period in time, Punk was responsible for killing Prog by non-intentionally pushing away it's media promotion/backing. No more..did you see ELP and Genesis advertised on Channel 6 Action News. Films of the tractor trailers traveling cross country with huge letters printed on the side..ELP..or news media discussing at 6:pm, how Genesis was a Progressive Rock band and they were coming to your town. Punk destroyed the possibilities of that ever happening again. Maybe it wasn't intentional. Maybe it was a guy with a long white beard hiding behind the big white puffy clouds in the sky and he tossed a quarter... and Prog lost. 

Good post but I would substitute Genesis with Yes. Genesis were not super huge as a prog band and would not have made it to action news until they were a pop band. Maybe Genesis were mentioned on the news in the seventies like you say but if that's the case I can bet you dollars to donuts that YES were also. ;)
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 05:17
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I remember getting off a bus, walking into the club with my gear...and the owner approaching me with a look of fear on his face. He said that The A's had played the night before and that it had taken him the entire day to clean the place up. It felt like a shock then, but today with the accountable violence in the media it equals zero value. It was strange to face Punk. I was in and out of cities every week and when I did run across a Punk band or the violence involved, I tried to remain discreet. Punk (and probably with no intentions whatsoever), killed the idea of being a good musician ..during the years 1977-1981..iN 77' it was a subtle attitude...by 1980 it was cemented into the music scene and "New Wave" ..although having some melodic Rock substances, accepted the attitude to be carried on further. I am only making reference to the United States East coast during these years. It was when the record companies/industry decided that by NOT playing your instrument so perfectly or decently, it could influence people/buyers, in a good way. And it did! The industry invested in "New Wave" which was a subdivision marketing aspect to Punk and in that sense...and only for that brief period in time, Punk was responsible for killing Prog by non-intentionally pushing away it's media promotion/backing. No more..did you see ELP and Genesis advertised on Channel 6 Action News. Films of the tractor trailers traveling cross country with huge letters printed on the side..ELP..or news media discussing at 6:pm, how Genesis was a Progressive Rock band and they were coming to your town. Punk destroyed the possibilities of that ever happening again. Maybe it wasn't intentional. Maybe it was a guy with a long white beard hiding behind the big white puffy clouds in the sky and he tossed a quarter... and Prog lost. 

Good post but I would substitute Genesis with Yes. Genesis were not super huge as a prog band and would not have made it to action news until they were a pop band. Maybe Genesis were mentioned on the news in the seventies like you say but if that's the case I can bet you dollars to donuts that YES were also. ;)

That's incorrect Prog Traveler. When they played the SPECTRUM in Philadelphia on the Wind And Wuthering tour, they were featured on Action News. Maybe they were not as huge compared to Jethro Tull and Yes, but I recall promotion for Genesis. Gabriel had just departed and fans were curious how the band would sound.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 09:24
I'm sorry Prog Traveller..allow me to correct myself. It could be that Genesis were being promoted a bit more on the east coast than other places. In that sense, you are not incorrect. It may have been a balance of promotion that may have only worked out for Genesis in specific areas.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 15:47
Yes I agree with you. Genesis were pretty big even in their Gabriel era days on the east coast(especially Philly). They even played at the Tower theater for the Foxtrot tour and I believe sold it out(not super huge but 2500 seats was not bad for them at that time). I was just disappointed that you didn't mention YES who were also big in Philly. By the way not to be nitpicky but I seriously doubt Genesis sold out the spectrum when they played there for W&W. Of course Genesis would soon enough surpass YES and ELP in popularity but only after they became a pop band. :P The bottom line is Philly has always been a big prog town(mainstream prog anyway).

Edited by Prog_Traveller - October 02 2014 at 15:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 17:38
^I saw Hendrix in Philly in 68. At least that's what my brother remembers! Cool

Edited by SteveG - October 02 2014 at 17:38
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Anoraknok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:52
I'm gonna take another listen to Nadir's Big Chance. And afterwards, I'll put some Singularity on. If you know what I mean.
ewalcacer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 22:21
I think we are in such amazing prog rock era... It was born in the 70s but it has progressed and it's very much alive.
Prog Rock, Beer, Chemistry and Games... That's all I need!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 23:27
Originally posted by ewalcacer ewalcacer wrote:

I think we are in such amazing prog rock era... It was born in the 70s but it has progressed and it's very much alive.

I agree!  I saw King Crimson's show in Chicago on Sept. 26, and they were better than the first time I saw the band (LTIA tour, 1973!).  

Where's punk rock been?  Not many mohawk haircuts last time I looked.  

I think Prog won the contest, quite honestly.  Punk was revolutionary for its day, but Prog is revolutionary by its nature. 

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:40
Did Punk Rock really kill Prog? No. Silly, silly question  LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 12:43
You're all wrong.

Prog is dead, Punk is dead, Metal reigns supreme.

The discussion is over.

But the trolling just begins.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 13:48
While Voivod laugh from their mountain, I presume.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 20:02
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by ewalcacer ewalcacer wrote:

I agree!  I saw King Crimson's show in Chicago on Sept. 26, and they were better than the first time I saw the band (LTIA tour, 1973!).  
Where's punk rock been?  Not many mohawk haircuts last time I looked.  
I think Prog won the contest, quite honestly.  Punk was revolutionary for its day, but Prog is revolutionary by its nature. 

I agree as well. I think that Prog is a fine state. There is still a huge market for it, and records are still being bought to a fair degree. Inside out records turned 20 last year. They are a label that mainly carries and distributes Prog rock artists.
Nice to see. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Nonsensei View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 09:46
I don't think punk killed prog, au contraire, after the big punk wave, new prog band took the aggressiveness and the harshness of the punk and made it something new. I think the best example is Cardiacs! One of the best bands ever.
/nothing new in years/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 20:58
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

You're all wrong.Prog is dead, Punk is dead, Metal reigns supreme.The discussion is over.But the trolling just begins.

I'm afraid now you are mistaken. Unfortunatley, as far as I undestand, right now Hip Hop reigns supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910