Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Punk Rock really kill Prog Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:36
Prog rock the last laugh with Cardiacs and Knifeworld.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Mentioning Cardiacs is very interesting. I've always thought that they are the successors of "DEVO" which were more close to Punk than to Prog. robably Punk has killed some prog bands only, apart of ELP who killed themselves.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 13:35
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Mentioning Cardiacs is very interesting. I've always thought that they are the successors of "DEVO" which were more close to Punk than to Prog. robably Punk has killed some prog bands only, apart of ELP who killed themselves.

For me, the Cardiacs are closer to "Zappa meets the Beatles" than Devo. Devo's first era makes me think of Residents turning surf-rock and more accessible.
Furthermore, I don't remember neither the Cardiacs nor Devo claiming to be part of the Punk scene.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 23:46
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

For me, the Cardiacs are closer to "Zappa meets the Beatles" than Devo. Devo's first era makes me think of Residents turning surf-rock and more accessible.Furthermore, I don't remember neither the Cardiacs nor Devo claiming to be part of the Punk scene.

True. Devo were listed by the press as one of the first new wave bands. There was also Brian Eno behind them.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 01:29
Going for the One is not a highwater mark of anything.

Anyway, prog (along with the rest of music) went through a dry spell in the mid to late 80's but from the 90's on it became the most creative music again. The rest of modern music is so bad, by god man. Oh, as for punk, it wasn't nearly as consequential as disco and then new wave which are mainly what convinced the big prog bands to streamline their sounds. The idea that it "killed" prog is too stupid to even bother thinking about. Consider your health.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 01:42
New Wave was a consequence of punk, though. That said I agree that if you listen to most of the music that's really popular right now you can trace it back to disco and not any kind of rock. Of course, that is complicated further by electronic pop being partly descended from Krautrock by way of the disco's appropriation of Kraftwerk thanks to Giorgio Moroder.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 06:40
Punk? Not really - that is just a media bluff.

Yes made proper prog albums including "Drama", 1980.
Pink Floyd reached the peak of popularity in the late 70s with "The Wall".
Jethro Tull was still going strong.
Renaissance's "Song For All Seasons", 1978, featured their biggest commercial success, "Northern Lights", while album still retained a big share of progressive rock.
UK (band) made music in that period.
Camel, though not as consistently brilliant in the late 70es, still hit a masterpiece or two.

I believe the reason of the quality drop in UK prog rock in early 80es (well, read before Marillion & co. ) was mainly due to newly introduced digital instruments, most of which didn't have that depth and diversity that is much needed for prog-rock. Once progressive rock aligned itself to the digital synths, it started to flourish again to this day.

No wonder, that guitar-based prog-rock (Rush, King Crimson) was not really affected by all this turmoil.

p.s.

IMHO, this kind of discussion should only apply to UK progressive rock. If you view it globally, there was plenty of great prog music out there even in the "darkest period", and it even was the flourishing time for some regional (e.g. Spain) scenes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 01:38
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

New Wave was a consequence of punk, though. That said I agree that if you listen to most of the music that's really popular right now you can trace it back to disco and not any kind of rock. Of course, that is complicated further by electronic pop being partly descended from Krautrock by way of the disco's appropriation of Kraftwerk thanks to Giorgio Moroder.

Well, either way. Punk and disco are simple, repetitive forms of music and that is generally what has always been most popular. If anything, prog's popularity in the early 70's was an anomaly and the late 70's were just a return to the norm. Even pre-20th century, didn't the majority listen to folk songs rather than classical? The late 60's/early 70's really were an exceptional period. Still, who's to say the majority won't ever gravitate to cerebral, cathartic, meditative, introspective, etc. music again? When people are able to work less and have more leisure time, they naturally gravitate to more complex, thoughtful music (in the late 60's this leisure was superficial but it did the trick). Basically when society is doing well, more people make prog, classical and other substantial music. When it's doing badly, they make punk rock and rap. Pretty telling, isn't it? Those latter musics were created out of necessity, out of anything but ideal conditions. They have a visceral effectiveness and they served their purpose, but in a world we actually want to live in, they'd be all but gone.

Edited by King Crimson776 - September 11 2014 at 01:55
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:52
Joe Public cannot, I am sorry to say, walk and talk at the same time. Next time you watch an audience clapping along with a tune, you'll realise they can't even clap in time. 

With prog rock, it was all very musically worthy, but not actually appreciated by 90% of the audience. Thing was, there was nothing else being played at the time. When simpler forms of music (disco, mainly) came along, off went all the sheep elsewhere to something which was a bit simpler and required less thought. Same thing happened to jazz at the end of the 1950's, really. People don't like, honestly, to think about music very deeply. It was music that demanded attention from a public with no attention span. 

Why did disco, punk et al, get foisted on the general public ?

Simple, so a few people could make money out of it. 

It's always been the case in music that a few people can control what the general public listened to, and it was decided it was time for a change. Prog rock simply had its' day. 
Usandthem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 12:10
The correct answer is no, as prog is still alive.
The correct question will be: Did Punk weakened prog commercially?
The answer is no, IMO. It is the lack of interest of the labels in prog. They wanted to sell more than prog did.
So, in a simplistic point of view, we can think that punk killed prog.
But let's be honest, no Punk band sold as much as Yes, ELP or even Mike Oldfield. And with new bands having commercial potential, then why this sudden change of taste from labels? The answer is Disco.
Disco was selling out at the time and the number of horrible bands who recorded disco with a major label is awfully high!
The "Prog Vs Punk" battle was invented by media latter in order to explain why they had to get rid of prog, which only shows their regressive idea of rock.
And, prog bands had intern tensions at the time.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 14:13
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Well, either way. Punk and disco are simple, repetitive forms of music and that is generally what has always been most popular. If anything, prog's popularity in the early 70's was an anomaly and the late 70's were just a return to the norm. Even pre-20th century, didn't the majority listen to folk songs rather than classical? The late 60's/early 70's really were an exceptional period. Still, who's to say the majority won't ever gravitate to cerebral, cathartic, meditative, introspective, etc. music again? When people are able to work less and have more leisure time, they naturally gravitate to more complex, thoughtful music (in the late 60's this leisure was superficial but it did the trick). Basically when society is doing well, more people make prog, classical and other substantial music. When it's doing badly, they make punk rock and rap. Pretty telling, isn't it? Those latter musics were created out of necessity, out of anything but ideal conditions. They have a visceral effectiveness and they served their purpose, but in a world we actually want to live in, they'd be all but gone.
I think people (prog fans) underestimate just how popular New Wave was in the eighties with record labels like Chrysalis (with Blondie), Virgin(with the Clash) and EMI (with Ultravox), amongst many others, cleaned up with NW.

However, the idea of a more genteel time resulting in calmer music seems, I'm sorry to say, nieve to me at best. I personally lived through the Vietnam and Watergate eras in America when prog was at it's best. Where was the peaceful world you spoke of then? I don't know how old you are so I take these types of comments with a grain of salt, but I'll give you an incite that keeps things in perspective for me when people refer back in time to some past calm utopia. I used to go folk clubs in the Village in NYC in the early sixties and actually listen to people like Dylan and the rest before they became famous and walk out and go to another club when they started going off on Vietnam in song. I've never even heard of that country before in my life when these people tried to tell the world about it in 1962-3. I wish I had listened because after the Cuban Missile crisis, I thought there was world peace. But I was just a kid, remember.

After that, I don't recall a time when the world was at peace.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."

Edited by SteveG - September 13 2014 at 15:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 21:41
I accounted for that with my comment that the leisure of that period was 'superficial', in that the hippies were doing whatever they wanted but without the means to keep that lifestyle longterm. It was not a peaceful period worldwide but it was a period of relative enlightenment compared to what came before and after. The drugs certainly helped things along (again, superficial and short-lived but we got some cool music out of the deal).

Beyond that, I think it's just self-evident that having leisure and the means to create any type of music at one's fingertips results in a greater tendency toward complex music, music that takes more time and devotion to create. It's no coincidence that classical composers (pre-20th) and prog musicians were generally on the wealthy side and therefore had the leisure to learn about the history of composition and hone the musical skill necessary for those types of music.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 01:09
^^^  I remember once reading an interesting article drawing a connection between the bloated welfare state in UK and the power of the unions with the thriving rock music.  Although...it had more to do with punk which was seen as a working class phenomenon.  But it is certainly possible that people had more time to spare for recreational pursuits due to the existence of certain conditions that could not be sustained.  I notice that while a lot of UK bands performed in the US in the 70s, the US prog rock scene was much smaller.  And rock and pop music in the US was already a lot more 'corporatised' than in the UK.  The decline of rock then probably has a lot to do with the British scene's diminishing presence in the mainstream.  Although there still are plenty of UK rock bands and even popular ones, their influence on rock music, let alone music as such, is much more feeble than in the past.  At least that's how it appears to me but I haven't lived in that time when all these great bands made their music in the 70s.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:22
Yeah, I always imagined that the fantastic and transcendental themes of much progressive rock implicitly was motivated a desire to transcend the increasingly dysfunctional and technocratic nature of society in the 1970s by searching for philosophical worldviews and an overall ethos running counter to that. Just one way the arts reacted against that widespread disillusionment, see also how bleak and morally ambiguous even Hollywood movies got the same decade.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:35
And as KC776 put it, if there is no time to contemplate, such contemplation in art is very difficult.  It seems that New York practically broke down in the mid-late 70s.  And yet it was in the late 70s that Fripp moved to New York, feeling that it had become a kind of Paris for musicians.  So this unresolved dysfunction, with a new direction yet to emerge (which would be the push towards market led economies in the 80s), perhaps provided fertile ground for such exploration, especially if there was nothing else to do.  The music of old down here was often thoughtful and profound and India was a mess then.  Not that it isn't now but there is now momentum and impatience for change where there isn't momentum whereas at that time people had made peace with an endless stagnation.  

In bands like Yes, I strongly sense a residue of 60s optimism, the fervent belief that if somehow everyone learnt to meditate like obscure Eastern mystics, all problems could be solved.  Which, I can say as an Easterner, is easier said than done.  But in others like Pink Floyd, I can decipher a gradual change in the narrative as the 70s unfolded.  Beginning with DSOTM, they became bleaker and bleaker.  Perhaps they sensed that old world notions of society were about to collapse, as you said, and used music as a medium to rant against it.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:38
You also see as the socio-economic situation got even worse in the late 1970s, that's when punk and heavy metal really took off. Back in 2011, I read an interview with Biff Byford from Saxon where he in a display of stereotypical British pessimism speculated that the real reason traditional heavy metal is popular again could be that the economy is finally as horrific as in the 1970s and 1980s...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:42
But is it, really?  I wouldn't know if it were the case.  I thought there was a crest of popularity around the mid noughties when the economic situation was better.  I do not know that I completely go along with that for metal.  It makes more sense in the case of punk which in any case did not have the larger than life ethos of a lot of metal.  But as the world economy got better, underground metal got even better, say around mid 80s.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:50
There seems to have been a clear anti-establishment and left-leaning strain in the worldview of punk artists of that time.  It is not so clear in the case of metal.  Arguably many of them, like Rush, were capitalist Ayn Rand nuts.  But as the old rock greats faded to be replaced by a dull corporate rock scene, metal provided the alternative to teens and adolescents thirsting for some 'real' heavy music.  Been there, done that. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:51
Here in Northern Europe late 1970s/early 1980s-style heavy metal has seen a huge resurgence in popularity within the last 4 years, with the genre enjoying a level of mainstream crossover popularity it hasn't since at least the early 1990s. Just off the top of my head I can name Enforcer, Portrait, Ram and Wolf as examples from around my neck of the woods.

I suspect it's also a matter of there no longer being this stigma against fantastic subject matter in the arts. Notice how science-fiction/fantasy/horror literature and cinema have become much more popular with the general public and accepted as significant artforms by both professional reviewers as well as academic cultural scholars. Just 7-10 years ago there was this dominant Modernist mindset of "true art is realistic", which we are now seeing a backlash against.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:54
'Punk' didn't kill Prog, the critics did .......
......we, the public.......(but not necessarily us Progheads.....).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>