Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Punk Rock really kill Prog Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:56
Ah.  Yes, it could be that it also fits in with the spate of violent dystopian novels and movies.  Also, metal has become more commonplace now to the point of being incorporated in film background scores.  So the scenario is quite different now compared to the 80s.  
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 07:24

It was me! I killed Prog (but like everything else I didn't too good a job) but, you wait and see next time...

.......if it wasn't for those pesky kids!!!.........

Help me I'm falling!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

'Punk' didn't kill Prog, the critics did .......
......we, the public.......(but not necessarily us Progheads.....).

Punk was a "way of life", Prog was "only" a music sub-genre.
That means that both critics and public were accepted the same "way of life", a new "lifestyle".
It was not possible for prog at that time, as a music sub-genre as well, to fight a battle with the lifestyle with so different "official" music; it was silly to expect. But also there is that poor prognosis from those who were told that the progressive rock is gonna die out. 

Edited by Svetonio - September 14 2014 at 11:17
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:20
^^^  Which is exactly why the 70s wave of popularity of prog will likely remain an outlier while it will probably never completely die out either, at least not before rock itself dies out.  Prog is just music for music's sake.  It is perfectly possible to treat punk as such too but it was made popular by positioning it as an alternative way of life, in opposition to the so called dinosaurs of rock.  I had noticed during the time I dabbled in metal also that there was a lot of pressure to conform to a certain metal way of life.  Not that anybody would object if you did not conform but the path to ultimate trve-ness lay in accepting the metal way unconditionally.  Obviously prog does not at all intrude in any comparable way in one's life.  It's just there in your collection, faithfully satisfying you whenever you seek it without asking you to submit to any musical belief system that may be narrow in its outlook.  In its fluidity, prog is, if I may, somewhat similar to Hinduism, the real essence of it, that is, and not the discriminatory practice of it that flourished and continues to flourish to a large extent.  So maybe there is some long winded connection between Eastern philosophy and prog rock which Jon Anderson endeavoured to make.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:34
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I accounted for that with my comment that the leisure of that period was 'superficial', in that the hippies were doing whatever they wanted but without the means to keep that lifestyle longterm. It was not a peaceful period worldwide but it was a period of relative enlightenment compared to what came before and after. The drugs certainly helped things along (again, superficial and short-lived but we got some cool music out of the deal).
Beyond that, I think it's just self-evident that having leisure and the means to create any type of music at one's fingertips results in a greater tendency toward complex music, music that takes more time and devotion to create. It's no coincidence that classical composers (pre-20th) and prog musicians were generally on the wealthy side and therefore had the leisure to learn about the history of composition and hone the musical skill necessary for those types of music.

Sorry if I misunderstood your quote, but music is a great form of escapism and perhaps that's the reason why it excels at trying times. Just a thought.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 02:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ah.  Yes, it could be that it also fits in with the spate of violent dystopian novels and movies.  Also, metal has become more commonplace now to the point of being incorporated in film background scores.  So the scenario is quite different now compared to the 80s.  

Just remembered that violent dystopian science-fiction was also very popular in the early 1980s: Blade RunnerEscape From New York, the Mad Max trilogy, The Terminator just off the top of my head. (some of the punk bands of the era had such an aesthetic too like Amebix and Killing Joke for instance)

History really does repeat.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 06:04
Commercialitis inflicted a severe wound on prog.  Punksters may have hated prog, but I was just getting into prog in a major way when punk was the new trendy thing and I regarded it as crap, that wasn't really music at all.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 07:01
I think the limit placed on prog rock in the late 70s (the perceived downhill slide) was that the musci created was very sophisticated and probably more so than most rock fans could understand. So up came the rise of punk.

I recall reading once (in a book recalling the days) that punk would have died in a day had it not been for the fashions. It wasn't realy a working class thing - it had it's UK origins in middle class West London and Chelsea clubs. It gave it self an "authentic" working class image as marketing appeal.

The disco thing was hardly new, tat had been a development on from soul and funk for ages. It gave people music to dance to (you can't really get down to TFTO can you? Anyway poular music exists to go with whatever drug du jour is around and cocaine was the disco thing while pot and acid went for the prog head. Not my observation but that of Simon Napier Bell in a doco with Graham Norton hosting. That was entertainment....

So really it came down to a requirement for the listener to become progressive to develop more listener sophistication. And active involvement with music is  - fun - but more for the muso than the fan.

Punk had it's moments when it became new wave and a new prog was born. Echo and The Bunnymen had a fine album with Heaven Up Here, The Cure and Magazine had and still have terrific efforts. But from all this I can now see where Radiohead are where P Tree should be thanks to the perceptions of the punk thing. It's a bit like having VDGG as popular as Pink Floyd is  who by comparison are only tolerably well known (hypothetically).

The press with  their misguided indulgences (wanting to be a journo punk super star) contributed. And when I say contributed I mean managed to ruin things a lot...

But if you want one thing that maimed Prog for a while- that otherwise incredible band ELP with the Love Beach album cover.Wink
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 07:55
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

I recall reading once (in a book recalling the days) that punk would have died in a day had it not been for the fashions. It wasn't really a working class thing - it had it's UK origins in middle class West London and Chelsea clubs. It gave it self an "authentic" working class image as marketing appeal.

VERY interesting.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Vic333 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 09:06
It isn't strange that Prog fell out of the spotlight after a few years. It would have been strange if it lasted longer. What form of music really lasts that long as a media interest before if finally boils down into a reclusive sub-genre? The Rock-a-billy of the 50's, the Sweet Soul of the early 60's, Folk-Revival, Prog, Punk, Disco. All out of the papers, yet they all still exist in some form.

Listening habits may influence the popularity of music genres a bit. Long form music like Prog, classical, or jazz, are more suited to the LP influenced music lounge of the 70's, rather than the Sony Walkmans of the 80's. But, even those are probably reflections rather than causes. I listened to Genesis and Yes on my Sony Walkman back in the day. 

I use to believe that MP3s, their immediate satisfaction in purchasing, track skipping, and playlists; would kill the long form album format, and that we would be left with nothing but single pop songs glutting up the market. But, long form music does actually seems to be increasing in popularity, as far as I see. I've met many young people that are getting into 70's prog and neo-prog. Probably not enough to make a popular comeback, but enough for King Crimson to make money with a US tour. 
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 01:21
We need to understand that the music industry(especially before the internet)treated music like a fad. One minute something is "in" and then before too long it is "out." It has been like this for a long time. It isn't so much the consumers that dictate this but the industry itself. The industry is sort of the gate keeper and it keeps and eye(and ear)on what sells and what doesn't. Through experience the music business determines what is profitable and then creates more of that. The internet was the only way for the prog scene to bypass that or at least the only way for it to reach many more fans than it did after it's hey day. Punk just happened to come at a time when prog was already starting to slide a bit as far as popularity and album sales go(even though some bands like Genesis were experiencing an increase in album sales). There were more factors involved than just punk but I think punk certainly played a major role in prog's decreased exposure and marketability.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - September 30 2014 at 01:23
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 01:30
[Probably not enough to make a popular comeback, but enough for King Crimson to make money with a US tour. ]

Opening for a band like Tool doesn't hurt either.

I get what you are saying too. It sounds like you first got into prog in the 80's as did I. Even though I do believe prog is to some extent a generational thing(as in some age groups having more fans than others)it does seem like many more younger fans are getting into it and probably not just because they sneaked a peek at their parents King Crimson and Gentle Giant records. I think the way social media and the expansion of how bands are labelled(ie someone like Radiohead or Muse being considered prog not to mention Tool or Mastodon or Opeth or whoever)has had an impact also. It used to be something was definitely prog or definitely not. These days the defintions of what can be called prog has changed. It's not nearly as black and white as it used to be imo.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:00
Hi,

I think it was just a media thing, that made "punk" better than it was. Punk didn't kill anything ... except itself! And prog is still around!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:22
I remember getting off a bus, walking into the club with my gear...and the owner approaching me with a look of fear on his face. He said that The A's had played the night before and that it had taken him the entire day to clean the place up. It felt like a shock then, but today with the accountable violence in the media it equals zero value. It was strange to face Punk. I was in and out of cities every week and when I did run across a Punk band or the violence involved, I tried to remain discreet. Punk (and probably with no intentions whatsoever), killed the idea of being a good musician ..during the years 1977-1981..iN 77' it was a subtle attitude...by 1980 it was cemented into the music scene and "New Wave" ..although having some melodic Rock substances, accepted the attitude to be carried on further. I am only making reference to the United States East coast during these years. It was when the record companies/industry decided that by NOT playing your instrument so perfectly or decently, it could influence people/buyers, in a good way. And it did! The industry invested in "New Wave" which was a subdivision marketing aspect to Punk and in that sense...and only for that brief period in time, Punk was responsible for killing Prog by non-intentionally pushing away it's media promotion/backing. No more..did you see ELP and Genesis advertised on Channel 6 Action News. Films of the tractor trailers traveling cross country with huge letters printed on the side..ELP..or news media discussing at 6:pm, how Genesis was a Progressive Rock band and they were coming to your town. Punk destroyed the possibilities of that ever happening again. Maybe it wasn't intentional. Maybe it was a guy with a long white beard hiding behind the big white puffy clouds in the sky and he tossed a quarter... and Prog lost. 

Edited by TODDLER - September 30 2014 at 09:26
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:36
Always a good read Toddler, thanks.

Just out of curiosity. How do you feel about American electronic act Suicide? I think they forwarded experimental music in a time, and in a scene, that purposely chose to focus on the complete opposite. I hear a lot of the early and more industrial sounding electronic together with some Krautrock (LA Düsseldorf for instance) in their approach.
Chrome did some similar (although altogether more rocking and Faust-like) stuff during the same time. 
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that although on the surface of things music seemed to get awfully streamlined, underneath there were still some new kids challenging things, while still incorporating a certain whiff of punk to their expression.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:37
"New Wave" which derived influences from Punk, reflected upon music of the British Invasion period. The most internationally known press report in the world makes the connection between The Kinks and The Pretenders. The Jam were doing "David Watts" and several other N.W. bands took on the same role to a degree. Around that time..it was easy to make a living at playing Progressive Rock. A musician then...could form a unit, rehearse the music of Jethro Tull, Genesis, and Yes...and make considerable profit. Enough profit to invest in recording their original music in the studio. Enough profit to invest money for costs along the way to landing a record deal. Prog just continued to sink during this time because opportunities on the U.S. east coast for any musician that took music seriously had vanished. This is a little insight on the first rude awakening to progressive musicians. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Always a good read Toddler, thanks.

Just out of curiosity. How do you feel about American electronic act Suicide? I think they forwarded experimental music in a time, and in a scene, that purposely chose to focus on the complete opposite. I hear a lot of the early and more industrial sounding electronic together with some Krautrock (LA Düsseldorf for instance) in their approach.
Chrome did some similar (although altogether more rocking and Faust-like) stuff during the same time. 
I guess what I'm trying to say, is that although on the surface of things music seemed to get awfully streamlined, underneath there were still some new kids challenging things, while still incorporating a certain whiff of punk to their expression.

Yes I recall this happening. There were artists underneath. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:08
Heh I always seem to get my posts rambled up a bit, and I ask questions that then turn into something elseLOL

What do you think about the music of Chrome and Suicide, that is if you've heard of them before?

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 30 2014 at 10:08
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:16

Heh I always seem to get my posts rambled up a bit, and I ask questions that then turn into something elseLOL

What do you think about the music of Chrome and Suicide, that is if you've heard of them before?

I haven't heard of them and would like to check them out. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I haven't heard of them and would like to check them out. 

Here ya goSmile

Ghost Rider off Suicide's 1977 debut. The whole album is uploaded on YouTube, and it gets a lot more freaky and experimental than that opening cut.

Chrome's Mondo Anthem from their 1979 album Half Machine Lip Moves.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>