Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Metal vs Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 12:33
Only recently have I begun to appreciate metal and prog metal. My preference still is for regular prog rock though.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 12:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The orange is Progressive metal!!

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

^Metal is often denser than rock afterall.

No vote in this poll.

^Win.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Claypool90s View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 18:41
I always considered Tool to be progressive art rock more than prog metal
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:08
djent
Phaolrym View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 11:12
I've spent more time with listening to prog metal, yet I love them both. (And recently I can say that I tend to listen prog rock more often.)
Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 14:22
Progrock for sure....i hate progmetal and all the DT clones!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 02:29
I`ll be a little so so as I`ve been into DT, Tool but not many others as I`m not a fan of the metal prog like most of you all... but its not that I`m in to the metal side of prog. so I`m saying I`m a fan of both styles... so no vote...            
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 09:10
"....It's all Rock n Roll to me"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 09:29
I love progressive metal, but I don't particularly care for Dream Theater. I've always fancied the likes of Symphony X.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 10:03
It's progressive rock. Prog metal isn't subtle enough for my tastes. People tell me to initiate a listening with Queensryche (misspelled, I'm sure), and I have a feeling I'll have to dabble in that direction soon enough because I've played all the old stuff to death. It's nice to know that 'ryche is a domestic band, though. Saw its lead singer on an episode of That Metal Show and he came off intelligent, assured, and focused, so I'll be checking them out soon enough.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 15:39
I often think that progressive metal is an oxymoron.  It is metal with lots of twiddly, noodly bits.  So, prog rock for me is vastly superior.  
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 16:10
Ermm Prog was described exactly like that in the 70s.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 16:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This is kind of what I was just thinking. Metal is technically a progression from rock itself, but I feel that's a whole separate argument.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:24
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This is kind of what I was just thinking. Metal is technically a progression from rock itself, but I feel that's a whole separate argument.

U feel so cause u love ProgMetal more..
And i too feel quite similar.

Edited by addictedtoprog - September 19 2014 at 13:30
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 04:25
As someone who's into both metal and prog-rock, I find a lot of better known prog metal's fusion of the two to come across as rather kitschy perhaps by being very literal in the way it combines the two.

I suspect the reason is that most prominent progressive metal groups combine styles from after progressive rock and heavy metal had diverged even further than they did in the 1970s. Even back then, I gather there was something of a culture clash between the two: The progressive rock movement tended to emphasize the interplaying instrumental dynamics and usually had detailed philosophical or ideological worldviews underlying either the individual record or entire career project's conceptual ethos; the early hard rock/heavy metal groups on the other hand tended towards emphasis on the instrumental prowess of individual musicians in the band, and they also make a point out of moral or ideological ambiguity in their artistic ethos. This means that the tropes from the disparate styles stick out more, when there isn't developed a newer fluid musical grammar in order to provide a coherent synthesis between the two. That's my best guess as to why groups like Dream Theater and Opeth don't do that much for me, their songs' narrative structures don't strike me as quite as logically consistent as if they had stuck to either genre's rules as either an ideal to live up to or main target to subvert.

My favourite prog metal groups are usually just more ambitious and complex than usual for their respective subgenre (e. g. early Fates Warning), or they come at both metal and prog from a sort of "sideways perspective". (e. g. Virus, Voivod)

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 20 2014 at 13:42
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 09:29
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

As someone who's into both metal and prog-rock, I find a lot of better known prog metal's fusion of the two to come across as rather kitschy perhaps by being very literal in the way it combines the two.

I suspect the reason is that most prominent progressive metal groups combine styles from after progressive rock and heavy metal had diverged even further than they did in the 1970s. Even back then, I gather there was something of a culture clash between the two: The progressive rock movement tended to emphasize the dynamic of instrumental and usually had detailed philosophical or ideological worldviews underlying either the individual record or entire career project's conceptual ethos; the early hard rock/heavy metal groups on the other hand tended towards emphasis on the instrumental prowess of individual musicians in the band, and they also make a point out of moral or ideological ambiguity in their artistic ethos. This means that the tropes from the disparate styles stick out more, when there isn't developed a newer fluid musical grammar in order to provide a coherent synthesis between the two. That's my best guess as to why groups like Dream Theater and Opeth don't do that much for me, their songs' narrative structures don't strike me as quite as logically consistent as if they had stuck to either genre's rules as either an ideal to live up to or main target to subvert.

My favourite prog metal groups are usually just more ambitious and complex than usual for their respective subgenre (e. g. early Fates Warning), or they come at both metal and prog from a sort of "sideways perspective". (e. g. Virus, Voivod)

A very thorough, graspable analysis Toaster Mantis.

Also, Fates Warning (particularly Awaken The Guardian) and Voivod rules.
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 12:01
Yeah, I started with progressive metal, but the more I listen the more I like the rock stuff. Even the best prog metal bands don't have fluid range of emotions and textures that make prog rock amazing. I actually prefer straight-up heavy metal like Judas Priest to most prog metal. Of course I love the heavy sound, so "heavy" prog like King Crimson and Rush usually do the trick for me.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 00:40
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Yeah, I started with progressive metal, but the more I listen the more I like the rock stuff. Even the best prog metal bands don't have fluid range of emotions and textures that make prog rock amazing. I actually prefer straight-up heavy metal like Judas Priest to most prog metal. Of course I love the heavy sound, so "heavy" prog like King Crimson and Rush usually do the trick for me.

Ditto, except I had started with prog rock.  It's indeed the textures that make the difference to me. The constant heavy textures in prog metal gets a bit oppressive after some time whereas the contrast in prog rock provides a breather.  And also that since prog metal artists, at least of the DT era, tend to be heavily influenced by the 80s, they channel 80s pop or hair metal in their soft/ballad singing which I don't like.   I too like straight up metal more because I listen to it purely for crushing riffs.  In prog metal it gets difficult to focus on the riffs with all the changes.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 06:08
Had completely forgotten about the role of contrasting or building up layers of texture in progressive rock songwriting, and how that's something many progressive metal groups neglect. I wonder if that has to do with that stylistic divergence between prog/psych-rock and HR/HM in the mid-1970s that I mentioned earlier, probably one that had been building on account of the difference in artistic ethos between the two scenes.

An amusing coincidence is that recently, it's become more commonplace for the more introverted metal subgenres like the psychedelic end of doom metal (e. g. Electric Wizard) or the types of black metal (e. g. Drudkh) that emphasize atmosphere over riffing to go over in the opposite pitfall: Id est songwriting that focuses entirely on development of texture at the expense of a clear sense of narrative structure in the composition. In the case of Electric Wizard it's clear they're a stylistically metal band who are closer to 1960s/1970s psychedelia in both ideological outlook as well as visual aesthetic, but what's the excuse of the Eastern European ultranationalists in Drudkh? A misappropriation of Varg Vikernes' interest in Krautrock?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 06:27
I think the trend in doom metal owes more to the development of ambient music than anything to do with prog rock.  Ambient music also focuses heavily on texture at the expense of narrative or, basically, momentum.  Prog rock at its best in the 70s could attain a sweet spot that balanced both momentum and textural variety and depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>