Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Metal vs Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 06:48
I think that's more the case on the black metal side of things, the atmosphere-over-riffing style being strongly informed by ambient electronic music with mid-era Burzum as the missing link. Maybe also Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, which goes in a similar direction and not surprisingly Vikernes receives a songwriting credit for several of the tracks.

Regarding Electric Wizard and similar groups, not only does their image and visual aesthetic come across as more "hippie" than "biker" but their songwriting style is as much "Hawkwind in slow motion with bigger amplifiers" as derived from Black Sabbath.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 21 2014 at 07:03
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 07:00
I never noticed Hawkwind in Electric Wizard but yes, you are right, there's a lot of psychedelic in their music and a lot of the stoner side of doom metal as such.  But being doom metal, they feel compelled to play slow all the time.  LOL  Metal has this unique predicament of boxing itself in with all kinds of compulsions.  Which works in straight up metal and not so much otherwise, leaving aside the out and out experimental side of metal like Cynic.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 09:16
A while ago I came across a lengthy review on RateYourMusic of a prog metal record that the reviewer in question was not just dissatisfied with, but also used as an example for a review-as-thesisto explain why so many artists get that angle of combining the two styles wrong. A shame I can't find it right now.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 21 2014 at 11:54
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 10:58
Progressive rock for me......there are only a handful of prog metal things I can listen to and one of them -Rush- isn't even listed here as prog metal.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 11:11
Rush have been admitted unto the Metal-Archives, though, and that site is infamous for being extremely uptight about including groups in ambiguous genres.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 11:49
IIRC it was clarified (either in the FAQ or by one of their mods in a heated exchange on inclusion-related grievances) that Rush were so classified because of their tremendous influence on prog metal and even some straight up metal bands.  Iron Maiden do exhibit some influence of Rush, for instance and they are themselves one of the most influential metal bands.  But it was understood that they weren't tr00 metal, strictly speaking. 

Edited by rogerthat - September 21 2014 at 11:50
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 11:52
Interestingly, it is categorically explained in the FAQ of metal archives that they would not include bands who are already commonly classified in a different genre (i.e. non-metal).  So it is acknowledged, as an example, that KC had elements of metal but since they are already referred to as prog rock, it would be counterproductive to include them on a metal website.  In other words, they saw progressive metal as a metal sub genre rather than a prog rock sub genre.  One of their mods had even commented to me that he didn't understand how PA would deal with including prog metal in their database. Wink
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Interestingly, it is categorically explained in the FAQ of metal archives that they would not include bands who are already commonly classified in a different genre (i.e. non-metal).  So it is acknowledged, as an example, that KC had elements of metal but since they are already referred to as prog rock, it would be counterproductive to include them on a metal website.  In other words, they saw progressive metal as a metal sub genre rather than a prog rock sub genre.  One of their mods had even commented to me that he didn't understand how PA would deal with including prog metal in their database. Wink
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:43
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Alrighty then.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:45
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm Prog was described exactly like that in the 70s.

This is kind of what I was just thinking. Metal is technically a progression from rock itself, but I feel that's a whole separate argument.

U feel so cause u love ProgMetal more..
And i too feel quite similar.

This has been the Macneil Lehrer Report.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by Rihanna Rihanna wrote:

Which genre do you enjoy the best? 

For me Progressive Metal, i like band like Opeth, Dream Theater and Tool alot, they create awesome music, i still like Progressive rock mostly Porcupine Tree, Blue Oyster Cult, Supertramp and Pink Floyd alot, but for Progressive Metal are better and better aggression!

When I think of progressive rock I don’t really think of Blue Oyster Cult, Supertramp or Pink Floyd.  More like:

Yes

Genesis

Gentle Giant

King Crimson

ELP

PFM

Van der Graaf Generator

National Health

Although I do enjoy progressive metal my preferences are:

Progressive rock

Fusion Jazz

Zuel / Avant prog