Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Heaven and Earth damage control / spin has begun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeaven and Earth damage control / spin has begun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 23:17
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

You make an interestng point, Tom, and I'll go you one further...

We all know Pink Floyd have a MASSIVE fanbase, the majority of which (I think) have no idea what the F `Prog Rock' is. They're just a big band known for `arty' rock music.

Now, I think there's probably more Yes fans that know what prog is, but I'm wondering...Are more Yes fans supporters from the 80's pop/commercial period, so that's why albums like `Heaven and Earth' - and `The Ladder', `Open Your Eyes', etc - are mostly based around commercial/straightforward compositions as opposed to more proper progressive workouts?

I actually assumed that there's much more vintage 70's fans these days that their 80's fans, hence the reason so little material (except `Owner...', of course) from the 80's is performed live anymore...

Yeah, I would too think that right now there are more fans of Yes music from the 70's than the 80's, and I would assume that they know it, since that's the music they play the most live. I would guess that the music thay have made is more because of what they are feeling and what they are capable of doing anymore. They must have a rather critical shortage of ideas, since they had to make use of some 80's leftovers for their last album, and they were rather happy about getting a new singer who could actually write music (suposedly).
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 23:43
I frankly do not really care. I rarely listen to the classic Yes period because I know it by heart. Fly From Here was interesting and at times even great (the suite) but I gave up on Yes after Talk! So whatever they do is of little consequence. The real sad part is that Alan White's recent Yes drumming sucks , while he kicks total ass on Levin/White/Torn (go figure)! Sorry, they are milking the cow dry for quite a long time now. 

Nice cover though
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 11:37
I haven't heard their new album yet, but when I bought Fly from Here a few years back, I didn't put on Close to the Edge before I give it a listen to compare the two. I just put it on to see how it sounded. It started great, and then the new vocalist completely took me by surprise. I didn't even bother to find out that someone else would be singing on it. At first I didn't particularly like him. I came back a year or two later and tried it again, and enjoyed it much more.

Anyway, I'll give go check out Heaven and Earth once the finances allow for it.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:05

It's strange, the only band that Roy Thomas Baker has been a fit with was Queen, where the results turned out very well on that run of early to mid seventies albums! But was a looooooooooong time ago now!

Lone Star's debut album was very good to be fair

Anyway I agree with most of what you say on Yes. Its a good album if expectations are kept in check.. What concerns me more is the damage to Glass Hammer since Davison became only a part time member as Ode To Echo is their weakest album for a long time. Yes are a spent force as regards 'prog rock' but GH still have something to offer.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 01:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's strange, the only band that Roy Thomas Baker has been a fit with was Queen, where the results turned out very well on that run of early to mid seventies albums! But was a looooooooooong time ago now!

Lone Star's debut album was very good to be fair
Anyway I agree with most of what you say on Yes. Its a good album if expectations are kept in check.. What concerns me more is the damage to Glass Hammer since Davison became only a part time member as Ode To Echo is their weakest album for a long time. Yes are a spent force as regards 'prog rock' but GH still have something to offer.

Haven't heard the Lone Star album, thanks Richard!

Glass Hammer's `Ode'...I have been spinning this every day for the past couple of weeks....yes, it's well played, well sung, well performed...yet there's something so safe, predictable and really quite unthrilling about it. I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong with it yet...I don't think it helps that they're putting out an album every single year....I guess they're just taking advantage to their raised profile due to Yes....speaking of which....

Glass Hammer disappointed me recently on their Facebook page. They are no doubt a little bitter about the reduced role Davison gets to have with them now, but they posted a rather cheap remark in regards to `Heaven and Earth'. When the first few negative reviews started showing up for it, they posted a link to them on their FB page with an `Ouch!' comment...I thought they were a little gutless, and it was a real cheap shot. If it were not for Davison and his now association with Yes, a ton of Yes fans would never have looked into Glass Hammer, and their profile in prog circles would still be at the exact point it was at years ago....

By the way, Richard, your `Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted' review really helped me write mine, so thanks!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 09 2014 at 23:53
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 04:10

No scandal there at all!

Simply says Roy didn't quite mix the band the way Yes usually sound.

No need for `damage control' either, the album is nowhere near the dog some people are making it out to be. It may be soft and tame, but that's to be expected from a band their age.

Anyone expecting the band to be producing genre-defining classics like `Topo' and `Close to the Edge' at this point in their career....after, you know, actually establishing some of the the hallmark porgressive rock styles, is fooling themselves!

Besides, at least it wasn't a covers album!
Right, now that I've spun my vinyls around 20 times, I can agree with my friend Michael ; this album is not as poor as many say. It is roughly all set out at mid-tempo, the songs are constructed in such a way that the extended sections don't throw the listener off (but most Proggers like to be caught off-guard), they are catchy, throw in a bit of complexity here and there but ultimately keep it clean, damn it's so catchy. It is a GOOD album, nothing inherently 'bad' to it, but it is, perhaps 'tired' sounding.
Sure they all can play, but maybe these guys don't wish to re-visit their youthful selves ??
I dunno, I am truly enjoying this album, I do believe Davison invigorated the band (I love Glass Hammer).
But if these guys produced something the calibre of Close To The Edge, many critics would slam them of repeating themselves and trying to re-capture the glory days ???
Poor guys can't win........

Edited by Tom Ozric - September 13 2014 at 04:22
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 09:26

Baker also had a run of multi platinum albums with The Cars in the early 70's. What does that tell you. LOL
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:46
That The Cars will soon be added to the site in crossover prog?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12