Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RushFan4's New CD Thread 11-Monarch Trail - Skye
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushFan4's New CD Thread 11-Monarch Trail - Skye

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RushFan4's New CD Thread 11-Monarch Trail - Skye
    Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:54
A few years ago I did a string of 10 threads in an attempt to divert Forum attention away from the usual suspects of Genesis, Yes, Porcupine Tree and the like.  In an attempt to renew my interest in posting in the forums and to share newer lesser known prog music within the PA community I have decided to revisit this thread idea by creating a thread for Monarch Trail's debut album titled Skye. 

Monarch Trail Skye album cover
Here is a link to the album's PA page.  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45373

Monarch Trail is the new band project for Ken Baird, who previously has released a number of progressive rock albums in his name.  Skye is sure to appeal to those of us who enjoy keyboard/synth-led music of epic proportions. Skye consists of 4 songs bookended by the 11+ minute Luminescence and the 20+ minute Sky Above The Sun.  The album has garnished 4 and 5 star reviews from some notable PA Reviewers and has drawn comparisons to bands like IQ, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and even Rush. 

Here is a link to the band's website where additional information can be found about them.  http://www.monarchtrail.com/  The opening song, Luminescence, can be streamed from SoundCloud here on their website.

The album can be purchased or downloaded from Amazon.com here, where it is grossly underpriced for downloading purposes.  http://www.amazon.com/Skye-Monarch-Trail/dp/B00K0OLIP2/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1409750479&sr=1-1&keywords=monarch+trail+skye

The album had been available for streaming on Progstreaming and I had hoped to provide a link to that, but it does not appear to be available anymore.  I am not aware of anywhere else where the entire album can be listened to.

There are currently 7 reviews and another 68 ratings without reviews, so a number of you have heard this album, and will hopefully participate in this thread to discuss your likes and dislikes regarding this album.  I look forward to what I hope will be an interesting discussion.

In case you are interested, and missed the previous 10 installments of the new CD discussion thread, please check them out here at these links as I am more that happy to go back to these threads and further discuss them with anyone who is interested.  Pretty sure that many of them or locked from inactivity, but I am sure that our friendly neighborhood admins would be happy to unlock them for anyone who wishes to discuss an album further. Big smile

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3457937#3457937
Roswell Six - Terra Incognita: Beyond the Horizon http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65438
From.Uz - Seventh Story  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66257

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  Ken Baird has been kind enough to provide me with a copy of Skye.  They are all albums that I have really enjoyed and therefore I am trying to bring them to the attention of PA members so that they may enjoy them to.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL 

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:35
Glad you decided to resurrect this series of threads.  The forum could use more recommendations/discussion threads about lesser known current releases. Listened to some brief samples and think the keyboard sounds are well employed and tasteful, a good sign for a neo-prog type group.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:19
My guess is that this album is not going to change the minds of those who are as a rule immediately turned off by anything listed under Neo prog.  I'd say that this album could also be considered as part of the crossover as well as symphonic subgenre as well but the Neo subgenre is probably a best fit for this album, and I think that this album should definitely appeal to those of us who still like to hear music that has what I consider to be that classic prog structure and sound.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 21:05
Pretty disappointing that this seems to have drawn almost zero interest.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:29
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My guess is that this album is not going to change the minds of those who are as a rule immediately turned off by anything listed under Neo prog.  I'd say that this album could also be considered as part of the crossover as well as symphonic subgenre as well but the Neo subgenre is probably a best fit for this album, and I think that this album should definitely appeal to those of us who still like to hear music that has what I consider to be that classic prog structure and sound.  

I was the lone wolf in requesting a move to crossover based on solid arguments, the most solid being that Ken Baird was already in Crossover as a solo artist and he employs the same musicians for Skye. He does play more synth solos which explains the move to Neo by my collab colleagues. And as per norm, the response was not very gentle, a trait I am presently going through with Ultravox and co....I don't like adamant,  nor Adam Ant for that matter  LOL. You have to have thick skin when dealing with Internet avatars. But your mission is to be commended!
I am so tired of the unending Yes, Genesis, ELP, KC and PT adulation, I mean I got over it in 1975! Wink
I have said before and I will state it again, there is more quality prog albums in numbers today (2013-2014)  than in the golden era. Not even close ..to the edge. 

Please, I urge you to continue your quest.....

Edited by tszirmay - September 03 2014 at 22:30
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
progfan915 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 06:26
Hey, I've got this album!  It's quite good. I bought it based on the strength of the only Ken Baird album I have, which was Orion. Orion is fantastic and highly recommended. Skye is great musically, but I only wish it had Sue Fraser sharing vocal duties, as she was amazing on Orion. But Skye is still very impressive and I hope to see more frequent releases from Ken/Monarch Trail. 
Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you,
Make the most of all you still have coming to you
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 06:33
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Glad you decided to resurrect this series of threads.  The forum could use more recommendations/discussion threads about lesser known current releases. Listened to some brief samples and think the keyboard sounds are well employed and tasteful, a good sign for a neo-prog type group.

Pretty much what I wanted to sayApprove

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 07:03
It's a really lovely album, and Ken and I exchanged some very nice messages over Facebook, a very genuine guy, and a band who deserves to have people check the CD out!

I posted a very favourable review of it myself just a day or two ago:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1266067

Not trying to bring attention to my own work, just happy to spread the word about a really nice release!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:23
Originally posted by progfan915 progfan915 wrote:

Hey, I've got this album!  It's quite good. I bought it based on the strength of the only Ken Baird album I have, which was Orion. Orion is fantastic and highly recommended. Skye is great musically, but I only wish it had Sue Fraser sharing vocal duties, as she was amazing on Orion. But Skye is still very impressive and I hope to see more frequent releases from Ken/Monarch Trail. 
That sounds interesting.  I've come to like female vocals within the prog sound.  The vocals on this album are good, but would probably have been enhanced with the interaction of a female vocalist.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:28
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It's a really lovely album, and Ken and I exchanged some very nice messages over Facebook, a very genuine guy, and a band who deserves to have people check the CD out!

I posted a very favourable review of it myself just a day or two ago:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1266067

Not trying to bring attention to my own work, just happy to spread the word about a really nice release!
Nice review.  I like your descriptions and references to other artists works.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 12:35
Some good stuff on there Scott. I am a huge fan of Shadow Circus and Lobster Newberg. I'll have to keep checking in on this thread.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 12:46
I'm not sure why this is listed under Neo-Prog, not that it matters I suppose but Ken's solo albums are under Crossover and they aren't THAT different from one another. As Thomas mentioned the synths are more prominant on Monarch Trail which is maybe why I prefer a few of Ken's solo albums to this one.
I should clafify that I think both Monarch Trail and Ken's solo albums are all so well done but there's something about the lyrics in Ken's solo works that speak to me. The music makes me think of nature and our experiences in it. Lyrucs about life I suppose.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - September 06 2014 at 22:27
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 08:31
Gave this another spin this morning.  Still enjoying it.  I definitely need to check out Ken's solo albums.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 08:52
Just wanted to say this is a great idea for a thread, shedding some light on the lesser known gems out there and god knows there's an endless list.

I only found one sample for Monarch Trail so I can't really comment on that album...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 09:08
I am kind of bummed, because it had been on Progstreaming so I had intended on linking that to here, but when I went to link it, it was gone.
january4mn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 13:47
Hi Guys,

I'm happy to say that we'll (Monarch Trail) be back on progstreaming on December 20th for a few weeks for their roundup for the year. In the meantime, we have a collage and a tune up here on sound cloud: https://soundcloud.com/monarch-trail or fan made videos of two more songs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy7FjXyqE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2lhP9vBL0

Thanks for all the chat and support here guys!

Ken
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:54
Great. That is tomorrow's lunchtime listen sorted
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 03:35
I was blabbing on too much here :)

As far as the neo vs crossover prog tags, I agreed that "neo" was an ok tag for Monarch Trail, (I love IQ, so I don't mind being in the same category :) while "Crossover" is the right tag for the Ken Baird albums. (much more Sue Fraser on the next "Ken Baird" album, I know she has her fans!)

Thanks again for this thread, Scott!

Edited by january4mn - December 20 2014 at 08:19
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 08:25
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Great. That is tomorrow's lunchtime listen sorted

Thanks Steve, that list would let you hear half of the album, and you can hear some bits of the "epic" from the collage on soundcloud.

Hope you enjoy it!

Ken
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 08:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>