Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zep - Prog Side - Complilation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 10:37
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

As an old Led Zeppelin fan, I saw them as a multi-talented and multi-faceted band. They could wail out electric blues, play straight ahead rock and roll, get all folksy and "pastoral" or do proggy fantasy with the best of them. Each of these sides appealed to me in a "different styles for different moods" kind of a way. In short, they were four very talented musicians that could successfully turn their hand to many styles/genres whenever they wished. I will admit that I favored the more proggy pieces myself though.

True. I'm a huge fan of Zep. I did a compilation of their Blues cuts as well. Another one about their Folky songs and finnally about their most commercial tunes. Like you I favored the more proggy pieces.

Edited by musitron - September 07 2014 at 10:54
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 10:45
^The folk singer Phil Ochs made a 10 minute suite like song in the 60's called Crucifixion about the murder of JFK. Should that song be considered proggy? And should the artist be considered Prog related?

Edited by SteveG - September 06 2014 at 10:52
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 12:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^The folk singer Phil Ochs made a 10 minute suite like song in the 60's called Crucifixion about the murder of JFK. Should that song be considered proggy? And should the artist be considered Prog related?

????

I don't know. But as long as that kind of comment make you feel better, it's ok with me.

Edited by musitron - September 06 2014 at 12:59

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 13:17
^It does not. I was only trying to show you what giving some s&*^ to a topic from me would really sound like. I don't things that seriously was the point.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 13:32

I don't know because I haven't heard it; however, Roy Harper's Stormcock is an album of lengthy acoustic songs that I certainly would consider prog.

What's your point?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I don't know because I haven't heard it; however, Roy Harper's Stormcock is an album of lengthy acoustic songs that I certainly would consider prog.

What's your point?
Uh....Harper is listed here at PA already as prog folk.......in case you weren't aware of that.
And to me a lot of his work, I'm a big fan, is definitely proggy
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't know because I haven't heard it; however, Roy Harper's Stormcock is an album of lengthy acoustic songs that I certainly would consider prog. What's your point?

Uh....Harper is listed here at PA already as prog folk.......in case you weren't aware of that.

Smile

I'm quite aware of Harper's status on PA, thanks, but that was not my point.

Steve referred to a 10 minute-long Phil Ochs song rather snidely. I was m merely pointing an album of 10 minute-long songs that was indeed proggy.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 10:21

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't know because I haven't heard it; however, Roy Harper's Stormcock is an album of lengthy acoustic songs that I certainly would consider prog. What's your point?

Smile

I'm quite aware of Harper's status on PA, thanks, but that was not my point.

Steve referred to a 10 minute-long Phil Ochs song rather snidely. I was m merely pointing an album of 10 minute-long songs that was indeed proggy.
Fair enough.....
and for my 2 cents Harper is far more proggy than the Beach Boys.
Approve
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 10:26
Ironically, the very proggy Stormcock has Jimmy Page playing his best Zeppelinesque prog on it.
peril912 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 17:00
I would've chosen maybe Ten Years Gone for that list, too, but al of those are great though.
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 17:02
Originally posted by peril912 peril912 wrote:

I would've chosen maybe Ten Years Gone for that list, too, but al of those are great though.

Yes, Ten Years Gone and a couple of other.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 14:14

What's your point?
One question from you that I never replied to. I get tired of the Prog/Non prog debate at times and give it a rest.

But do you seriously view Stromcock as a Prog album because it has four long acoustic songs? I do not. They are simply four long folk songs that contain a few different movements. I go to other Harper albums to get Prog. Definitely not Stromcock or it's immediate predecessors or followers.

HQ was the first true Prog album by Harper and that's the truth And that was said without any snide intention like the Phil Ochs question.

Song length does not equal progressive just repetition.

Edited by SteveG - September 18 2014 at 14:16
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 23:08

What's your point?
One question from you that I never replied to. I get tired of the Prog/Non prog debate at times and give it a rest.

But do you seriously view Stromcock as a Prog album because it has four long acoustic songs? I do not. They are simply four long folk songs that contain a few different movements. I go to other Harper albums to get Prog. Definitely not Stromcock or it's immediate predecessors or followers.

HQ was the first true Prog album by Harper and that's the truth And that was said without any snide intention like the Phil Ochs question.

Song length does not equal progressive just repetition.

In regards to song length, I was parroting your snark regarding the Ochs song.

And yes, Stormcock is certainly progressive folk. The song structures, orchestration, and even the vocals were highly progressive, and a step beyond folk rock of that era.

Tull's A Passion Play is obviously indebted to Stormcock regarding Ian Anderson's acoustic work. The chording on the Chateau D'Isaster sessions strongly evoke Harper.

In addition, Jimmy Page is referred to with a Latin pseudonym. You can't get more prog than that.

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 18 2014 at 23:15
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 10:06
^Sorry Greg, but as much as I like Harper, it would take a month of Sundays and a bribe for me to consider Stormcock prog. Your argument just doesn't do it for me and I've heard countless others over the years also. And countless others also agreeing with me.

No snark, but the psued S. Flavious Mercurious used for Page is a contractual trick that goes back decades. Now how progressive is that? Wink

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2014 at 10:16
aaroncliftmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Seeing as Led Zeppelin never were a prog band (residing in prog related), I took the liberty of moving this to the non-prog part of the forum.
Carry on gents.

Third that.  I also would have included "When the Levee Breaks."  It's such an epic closing song even if it's not strictly speaking a "progressive" song.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:07

^Sorry Greg, but as much as I like Harper, it would take a month of Sundays and a bribe for me to consider Stormcock prog. Your argument just doesn't do it for me and I've heard countless others over the years also. And countless others also agreeing with me.No snark, but the psued S. Flavious Mercurious used for Page is a contractual trick that goes back decades. Now how progressive is that? Wink

I will have to politely call you nuts, and then defer to a critic who referred to Stormcock as "epic progressive acoustic", which to me perfectly defines the album. I don't know how one can listen to a song like "Me and My Woman" and not hear progressive folk.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 14:20
^These are only different opinions Greg which every one has and I respect yours, so I will not politely call you deaf.

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2014 at 16:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 22:22

^These are only different opinions Greg which every one has and I respect yours, so I will not politely call you deaf.

Some opinions carry more weight and are part of a general consensus of informed listeners, critics and musicians; whereas other opinions are lonely outliers, forlorn and whimpering in the wild.

Prog Archives recognizes Stormcock as prog folk, as does Rate Your Music and even wacky Wikipedia.

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 03:43
This debate revolves around individual person's definition of prog. Clearly our debaters have different definitions. It doesn't help debate when people redefine their opponent's definitions.

As for me, I see 1973-onwards Zep as being prog-tinged. As they did with everything, they hoovered up the prog 'sound' (and I know it's questionable what exactly that is, which is why I have used a generalisation) and stuck it in their stew. So you get No Quarter, Kashmir, In The Light and Achilles Last Stand, which incorporate elements not unfamiliar to prog ears. That, to me, makes a great argument for incorporating them on the site as prog-related - which is where they are.

I've put together a LZ compilation based on personal taste. I favour later LZ precisely because of the prog tinge - I'm not a big fan of their early sloppy blues.

Side 1

Nobody's Fault But Mine
When The Levee Breaks
In My Time Of Dying

Side 2

Stairway To Heaven
The Wanton Song
The Ocean
Kashmir
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 09:38

Some opinions carry more weight and are part of a general consensus of informed listeners, critics and musicians; whereas other opinions are lonely outliers, forlorn and whimpering in the wild.

Prog Archives recognizes Stormcock as prog folk, as does Rate Your Music and even wacky Wikipedia.

I've been out of high school for quite a while now Greg and will not engage you at that level. My knowledge of American folk music is no doubt greater than yours as I have been studying it on an academic level for over 25 years.

What PA deems as Prog is of no consequence to me. PA are experts on Progressive Rock music, not American Folk music of which Stormcock is based on. I know an extended folk song when I hear it regardless of it's climatic coda, no matter how well it is played or who is playing it.

Who is really the uninformed listener in this conversation?

Edited by SteveG - September 20 2014 at 09:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>