Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zep - Prog Side - Complilation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 04:20
I agree. 
It's just a little strange that people keep insisting on posting these threads in the prog lounge. If you take a look at the first page of the prog lounge, you'll see just how many threads we've had to move (the ones with a green arrow), because people just use it regardless of the topic. My guess is that it's because the prog lounge threads also feature on the frontpage, and perhaps moreover because people don't give a feck.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 04:26
I just think it because they dont think much about where to but it right.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 05:30
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Zep is Zep,
99,9/100 prog bands would kiss their lotus feets, to be half as good as Zep, so why attempt to “progify” them.

'How does Led Zeppelin fit into a progressive site as Progarchives is an ongoing debate, with many in favor, but also some objections. Basically Led Zeppelin wasn't a progressive rock band, but they used progressive textures and progressive elements in their music, but above all they influenced many progressive bands over the years, from YES, to JETHRO TULL, from RUSH to SPOCK'S BEARD, without Led Zeppelin rock and progressive music wouldn't be the same'

It is not from me but from PA
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 05:39
They were very progressive for their day, I totally agree, but they were more of a progressive blues rock band than an actual prog band. That's also why we have them located in prog related (and why I moved the threadSmile). 
Led Zeppelin were no more a prog band than say The Doors, The Beatles, Queen or David Bowie - acts who all are featured on PA, but in prog related because of their occasional flirts with our much beloved genre, and perhaps more importantly how some of them influenced prog rock and on some occasions even helped it being pushed forth. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 09:46
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I've whittled my entire Zep collection down to 3 comp. CD's. Having a double one isn't really that tough. Now, if you want to do a comp thread let's put a little more pressure on. One CD no longer than 60 min., any prog artist.

Let the games begin.

I'll post my first one once I do a running time check.

I've been meaning to make a thread about this for a while.

Game on! Smile
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 10:41

I like my Zep raw and bluesy (Zep I and II), or the Jimmy Page does Joni Mitchell/Sandy Denny act (Zep III).  When Zep got proggy, that's when they're least credible....they always pushed the Dungeons and Dragons shyte and the Tolkienesque, but I never bought it.  Seemed an easy way to reel in the teenage zomboids. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 10:48
Originally posted by musitron musitron wrote:

Zep is Zep,
99,9/100 prog bands would kiss their lotus feets, to be half as good as Zep, so why attempt to “progify” them.

'How does Led Zeppelin fit into a progressive site as Progarchives is an ongoing debate, with many in favor, but also some objections. Basically Led Zeppelin wasn't a progressive rock band, but they used progressive textures and progressive elements in their music, but above all they influenced many progressive bands over the years, from YES, to JETHRO TULL, from RUSH to SPOCK'S BEARD, without Led Zeppelin rock and progressive music wouldn't be the same'

It is not from me but from PA

Ya sure, but what im saying is that to me it makes no sence to look for the progg'ish tracks. Most Zep tracks is just great, no matter if they have some prog elements or none at all.

Edited by tamijo - September 04 2014 at 10:49
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 11:03

Ya sure, but what im saying is that to me it makes no sence to look for the progg'ish tracks.

It does on a prog rock site!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 13:46
Zep great? Yes. Prog? No. Can't understand why people don't appreciate them for what they are.
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 14:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Zep great? Yes. Prog? No. Can't understand why people don't appreciate them for what they are.

Huh! Can't understand why you think that I don't appreciate what they are?

Did you take the time to read my posts? This is your sixth comment in that topic. If you don't like it just pass bud Wink

One day before my post someone started a topic titled The most proggy songs by The Who? Nobody gave him sh*t. Well! I hope you won't now.

Edited by musitron - September 04 2014 at 14:37

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 15:15

Did you take the time to read my posts? This is your sixth comment in that topic. If you don't like it just pass bud Wink

One day before my post someone started a topic titled The most proggy songs by The Who? Nobody gave him sh*t. Well! I hope you won't now.

Led Zeppelin was as proggy as Pink Floyd. Or The Who. Or Jethro Tull. Or Queen. They played whatever the hell they liked whenever the hell they wanted to because they sold a sufficient enough amount of albums during their heydays to be able to dictate to the record companies -- Zeppelin even formed Swan Song to get more freedom...and cash.

Some Zep albums have prog elements just like some Tull albums have very little prog elements, yet people get their panties in a wad about artificial record industry categorization and try to pigeon hole bands when it's likely the bands themselves cared little for such restraints at the time.

If you look at an album like Physical Graffiti, I don't see how anyone would assume it was not progressive.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 22:23

^this
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 22:26

Actually I did make a 'snide' comment on the Who thread..but in a nice way.
Wink
Haquin
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 23:17
yes dr. And I like your favorite 'proggy' Who track.....

Baba...

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 11:07
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Ya sure, but what im saying is that to me it makes no sence to look for the progg'ish tracks.

It does on a prog rock site!

No it still does not TO ME
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 22:23

yes dr. And I like your favorite 'proggy' Who track.....

Baba...
It's one of my favorite Who tracks proggy or not......I was lucky enough to have seen them 1974 at college before Moon passed on. One of the best shows I have ever seen.
Haquin
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 22:49
As an old Led Zeppelin fan, I saw them as a multi-talented and multi-faceted band. They could wail out electric blues, play straight ahead rock and roll, get all folksy and "pastoral" or do proggy fantasy with the best of them. Each of these sides appealed to me in a "different styles for different moods" kind of a way. In short, they were four very talented musicians that could successfully turn their hand to many styles/genres whenever they wished. I will admit that I favored the more proggy pieces myself though.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 09:52

Time to stop bending groups that Prog members appreciate into pseudo Prog groups. The fact that Zep would have laughed at the comparison back in the day should say it all. Did they have prog elements, sure, so did the Beach Boys with Good Vibrations.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 10:20
"Steve G : Time to stop bending groups that Prog members appreciate into pseudo Prog groups. The fact that Zep would have laughed at the comparison back in the day should say it all. Did they have prog elements, sure, so did the Beach Boys with Good Vibrations. "

I don't disagree with that and many of the bands that are listed under 'prog related' here have never really sounded proggy at all to me compared to actual progressive rock groups, but then I suppose that's why they are listed under 'prog related'.

Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 10:22

Time to demystify the Prog of Led Zeppelin. I'm only doing this as your post seemed to be for fun only and I actually applauded many of the posted suggestions and defended your omission of Achilles Last Stand. As a long time fan of predominately American Blues and Folk Music (Progressive Music is perhaps third or forth on my list of favorite genres) the idea that a British Electric Blues based group like Zeppelin, which employed long psychedelic breakdowns and extended suit like movements at rare times, being even remotely considered prog because prog fans embrace them is laughable to me because of the simple fact that it would have and most likely still is laughable to the surviving members of the group themselves. That Zep had musical qualities that appeal to proggers is fine just as long as they can listen to the groups blues numbers and rockers with the same appreciation. As for the Who, they committed the Prog sin of creating concept albums. Something the Zeppelin never have entertained on their most polluted day, and that's a real blues based rock band for you.

Edited by SteveG - September 06 2014 at 10:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>