Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are Pros and Cons, Radio Kaos, Amused that bad?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Pros and Cons, Radio Kaos, Amused that bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Pros and Cons, Radio Kaos, Amused that bad?
    Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:07
Roger Waters' post PF solo albums are so unloved that they hardly even get mentioned in posts and are all rated no more than three stars In PA. Are they really that bad? And if so, why?

Edited by SteveG - September 03 2014 at 15:09
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:38
No they're not bad but it's quite tiring to listen to Roger's voice for a whole album. Boy, is he talkative.  LOL
I do give them a listen once a year or so, and I always wish for more music and less talk but nope, Rog's got something to say and that overshadows the music.
What's the point in enlisting some really good musicians when you don't let them play?

Having said this, I'm rather fond of KAOS, although the concept is absolutely preposterous, but at least there are a few melodies here.
There are also some brilliant moments on AtD.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:46
^ What she said. Approve
What?
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 17:53
Pros and Cons B+
Radio Kaos C
Amused B-
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:30
 Only 3 responses-they must be that bad. Confused
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:47
Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't at least seen a bunch of negative posts.  Everyone seems to have something to say about Roger, good or bad.

I've recently tried to get into Pros and Cons for about the 3rd or 4th time, but I just can't get over how generic the music is - it almost seems at times like he's re-using the same music from song to song, which itself is recycled from Wall and Final Cut ideas.  With Roger Waters, it really is about the lyrics, and that's cool with me I guess, but the sameness of the music actually distracts me from enjoying the story.  Plus he had to get goddamn Eric Clapton in there, doing his blues licks to add a touch of class, which irritates me even more.

Haven't heard all of Radio KAOS, but I'd probably like it better - will give a closer listen when I'm in the mood for 80s drum sounds (which I do like, when I'm in the mood).

Amused to Death is the one I've heard the most, and it's pretty good.  It just requires a lot of attention so I don't play it very often.  Haven't gotten to the bottom of the concept either - so decoding that should be a fun project some rainy afternoon.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:49
^^Not really. OK, I'm not a big fan of The Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS, but that does not make these albums really bad. I think the average ratings - both between 2.9 and 3.0 - reflect my own opinion quite well.

The relative monotony of Pros and Cons fits in quite well with the story - the waltzing rhythm persists until the title track, some 10 minutes before the end of the album. Radio KAOS is something different, but I haven't listened to that album for many a year and I don't feel the need to.

Amused to Death is an entirely different story. The best solo album of a Pink Floyd member in my book; maybe I would rate it 5 stars if accompanied by a review. Surely this album has some masterpiece content.

Edited by someone_else - September 05 2014 at 09:53
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 19:13
Amused To Death is quite good.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 21:36
Pros and Cons, and Radio KAOS are OK albums with some songs I really like. Amused to Death is an amazing album, with the songs I like best from his solo efforts... it really is not an album to be missed by any Pink Floyd fan. On the other hand, I don't understand such a dislike towards his voice. Sure, it's better with Pink Floyd where the vocal duties were divided between him and Dave (and occasionally Rick), much to the benefit of both singers. However, I wouldn't say he's a bad singer at all (or at least he wasn't back in his good old days), and he's got such a unique voice and stile for singing that he's not easily imitated.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Only 3 responses-they must be that bad. Confused

I don't think they are bad per se but I have never been a fan of Water's vocals and the melodies etc on those 3 solo albums just don't impress me. I don't play them at all anymore.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 11:53

Roger Waters' post PF solo albums are so unloved that they hardly even get mentioned in posts and are all rated no more than three stars In PA. Are they really that bad? And if so, why?

I never enjoyed the first one.

KAOS is ok with me, because of my memories of the time and place. It's not a super great album, but it is very good, though I don't think that it should be considered "progressive"!.

Amused is far better and has some excellent pieces.

I find it sad that we are still stuck on voices and people like that. You might as well go around saying that Hemingway is a sh*t, that Picasso is a jerk and what not.

It's about the work and I still feel that the work is very good!

Edited by moshkito - September 07 2014 at 12:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dodur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:44
I actually really like Pros and Cons. It is a very easy-to-listen-to-but-still-moody album and it has some great peaks such as the title song. However, I do understand that people find his constand talking a bit annoying while Clapton (who really pulls of some of his best on this album) sits at the side waiting for a short moment where he can slip some smooth guitar notes in.
I also like Amused and especially the songs where Rogers singing is accompanied by PP Arnold with her amazing voice.
KAOS is the lesser one but still slightly enjoyable.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 12:31
Radio Kaos seems to stand out the most among the three, quality-wise, but that ain't saying much.
Unitron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 12:47
Pros and Cons is a concept album about sex.

Enough Said. Dead
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 14:15
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Enough Said. Dead
So, what's wrong with sex?
Unitron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 14:27

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Enough Said. Dead
So, what's wrong with sex?

nothings wrong with sex, but a concept album about it? Shocked
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 14:47

I love all three albums. I prefer Pros and Cons (along with Final Cut) to the Wall. Radio KAOS is a little more poppy in parts, but still has some great songs and has one of my favorite Waters' lyrical passages on it (the opening verse to Me or Him). Amused to Death is his masterpiece. Sadly, there as yet, has been no follow up in a rock format.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Radio Kaos seems to stand out the most among the three, quality-wise, but that ain't saying much.

Radio Kaos made sense 30 and 40 years ago as radio was still in the hold of a lot of music.

Today's listener is not bound by "radio" and the sickening stream of crap that comes with it. Jim Ladd was no different then, on KLOS and MKET, either, but since this was LA, he was "big", but no bigger than some others, and their big'ness died with they were fired, which was often!

There you have it ... radio waste!

The closest thing to it today, is the stuff on XM/Sirius, which is just a modernized version of radio, then, that most of us here don't even bother listening to anymore ... I don't listen to top ten, or hit radio, and XM/Sirius is STILL about the corporate stuff and sales and top bands.

Internet radio, is worse than College radio, in that it does the same thing as "radio" does ... repeat it every so many minutes, and in some cases, they can't even handle a long cut because they have to immediately go to the short one, so they do not lose their minds spacing out. Or in some cases, it's exactly the same sound over and over and over again ... not very original!

Amused to Death, in many ways, was a continuation of the media strength and how it takes you in. I do not find it as strong as ANGE's Emile Jacotey at all, but it is a good album and worth the listen. Those getting upset about Roger's vocals are simply not appreciating the theatricality involved, in his singing, because in many ways, Roger is not a "singer" at all! But he is a very good actor, and deserves credit for his outstanding amount of work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 22:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Radio Kaos made sense 30 and 40 years ago as radio was still in the hold of a lot of music.

Today's listener is not bound by "radio" and the sickening stream of crap that comes with it. Jim Ladd was no different then, on KLOS and MKET, either, but since this was LA, he was "big", but no bigger than some others, and their big'ness died with they were fired, which was often!

There you have it ... radio waste!

The closest thing to it today, is the stuff on XM/Sirius, which is just a modernized version of radio, then, that most of us here don't even bother listening to anymore ... I don't listen to top ten, or hit radio, and XM/Sirius is STILL about the corporate stuff and sales and top bands.

Internet radio, is worse than College radio, in that it does the same thing as "radio" does ... repeat it every so many minutes, and in some cases, they can't even handle a long cut because they have to immediately go to the short one, so they do not lose their minds spacing out. Or in some cases, it's exactly the same sound over and over and over again ... not very original!

Amused to Death, in many ways, was a continuation of the media strength and how it takes you in. I do not find it as strong as ANGE's Emile Jacotey at all, but it is a good album and worth the listen. Those getting upset about Roger's vocals are simply not appreciating the theatricality involved, in his singing, because in many ways, Roger is not a "singer" at all! But he is a very good actor, and deserves credit for his outstanding amount of work.

I actually don't know why Waters singing is so un-loved around here, while Gabriel's is so loved. They both do the theatrical thing, but for me, Waters is just better in every respect. Better singer, portrays emotion better than Gabriel, better lyrics. But oh well, this is just a Gabriel loving site.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 23:09
3 stars isn't a bad rating
 Post Reply Post Reply