Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seasons Of Change: Prog Radio, Adelaide, Australia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seasons Of Change: Prog Radio, Adelaide, Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 15:42
G'day, please join me for another edition of Seasons of Change this Saturday night (Australian time) with a selection of progressive rock from Australia and around the world,  featuring classic music from Spectrum/Murtceps, Mackenzie Theory and the recent CD reissue of the one and only album from 1972 by McPhee (Sydney) and new music from Vanishing Point (who nowadays sound more power metal than prog metal). There's some Joe Satriani (in concert here in Adelaide tomorrow). And it's happy birthday this weekend to Peter Hamill (VdGG), Greg Lake (King Crimson. ELP) and Roy Wood (ELO, Wizzard).

8pm
Joe Satriani    One big rush + The bells of Lal (Pat One) + The bells of Lal (Pat Two) (1989) (Flying In A Blue Dream)
Joe Satriani    The enigmatic (1986) (Not Of This Earth)
McPhee    Indian rope man + Out to lunch (1972) (McPhee)
Indelible Murtceps    We are indelible (1972) (Warts Up Your Nose / Ghosts: Post-Terminal Reflection)
Electric Light Orchestra    Look at me now (1971) (The Electric Light Orchestra)
Roy Wood & Wizzard    See my baby jive (1973) (Wizzard Brew)
Ozric Tentacles    Ullular gate (1985) (Tantric Obstacles)
Hawkwind    Spiral galaxy 28948 (1975) (Warrior On The Edge Of Time - Remastered)
9pm
King Crimson    Peace – A beginning + Pictures of a city (1970) (In The Wake Of Poseidon)
Emerson Lake and Palmer    Trilogy (1972) (Trilogy)
Spectrum    Superbody (1970) (Part One)
Mackenzie Theory    World’s the way (1973) (Out Of The Blue)
Dream Theater    The test that stumped them all (2002 / 2008) (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence / Greatest Hit)
Vanden Plas    Fire blossom + Rainmaker (1997) (The God Thing)
10pm
Vanishing Point    Distant is the sun + Let the river run (2014) (Distant Is The Sun)
Andy Salvanos    Smiles (2007)  (Closer)
Anglagard    Jordrok (live) (1996) (Buried Alive)
Van der graaf Generator    Man Erg (1971) (Pawn Hearts)
Sleepmakeswaves    (hello) cloud mountain (2011)  (.​.​.​and so we destroyed everything)

Edited by David64T - November 14 2014 at 17:41
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 17:39
G'day, please join me for another edition of Seasons of Change this Saturday night (Australian time) with a selection of progressive rock from Australia and around the world, featuring recent music from Dyssidia and the new CD from The Lammas Tide; plus a detour into the spacier side of Australian music with Lobby Loyde, Mushroom Giant (here in Adelaide next Saturday) and The Black Galaxy Experience. It's happy birthday this weekend to Martin Barre (Jethro Tull). And there's some Tori Amos (in concert here in Adelaide tmorrow).

8pm
Pink Floyd    selection from The Endless River (2014)
Syd Barrett    Dark globe (1970) (The Madcap Laughs)
Pink Floyd    When the tigers broke free (1982) (single only / Echoes: A Pink Floyd Collection)
Pink Floyd    One of these days (1971) (Meddle)
Pink Floyd    Us and them (1973) (Dark Side Of The Moon)
Dave Gilmour    The blue (2006) (On An Island)
9pm
Mushroom Giant    Aesong (2012) (The Drake Equation EP)
Dyssidia    Deja senti (2013) (Quiet Waters EP)
Tori Amos    Seven sisters + Carry (2011) (Night Of Hunters)
Lobby Loyde    Hymenoptera’s revenge (1976) (Beyond Morgia: The Labyrinths Of Klimster)
Ozric Tentacles    Five jam (1986) (Erpsongs)
The Black Galaxy Experience    Clean cut (2013) (End Transmission EP)
10pm
Jethro Tull    Aqualung (1971) (Aqualung)
Jethro Tull    Hot mango flush (1999) (Dot Com)
Dave Gilmour    Echoes (live, 2006) (Live In Gdansk)
The Lammas Tide    Barefoot electric + A company of rogues (2014) (Barefoot Electric)
Sleepmakeswaves    (hello) cloud mountain (2011)  (.​.​and so we destroyed everything)

Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 17:46
A Floyd special? I better wake up early tomorrow Tongue
Really like the new album, by the way.
Also I really liked to listen to King Crimson (even if it was from my least favourite album) and Anglagard last week.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 17:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

A Floyd special? I better wake up early tomorrow Tongue

Your first challenge for the day! Smile I'll try to make it worth your while. Listening to Syd singing "Dark globe" I thought he sounded like Roger Waters singing circa The Wall - or maybe that's just me.

Really like the new album, by the way.

Me too - I haven't picked the specific music for tonight yet though... we'll see what happens.

Also I really liked to listen to King Crimson (even if it was from my least favourite album) and Anglagard last week.

Thanks MD! KC are like that I think - inevitable for one thing considering the "phases" the band went through...

Edited by David64T - November 14 2014 at 17:54
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 18:03
I never listened to any Syd solo music, it's probably a good way to start.

My instant favourites of the album were: 'It's What We Do', 'Anisina' and 'Autumn'68'. I guess it's easier to memorise the music when you have to get up to change sides four times LOL

From KC, their next album, Lizard, is one of my favourites Thumbs Up
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 18:38
G'day, please join me for another edition of Seasons of Change this Saturday night (Australian time) with a selection of progressive rock from Australia and around the world,  featuring recent music from Adelaide's Sympathy Orchestra and Unitopia,  and the new CD from The Lammas Tide (Perth); plus some classic early '70's music from Barrie McAskill and the Levi Smith's Clefs. And it's happy birthday this weekend to Steve Swindells (songwriter and keyboardist with Hawkwind, who contributed a mildly successful single during his brief tenure with the band).

8pm
Starting with a little birthday music, then continuing with:
Levi Smith's Clefs    Relief from a lighted doorway + You can’t do that (1970) (Empty Monkey)
Freedom To Glide    Rain (Part 1) + Anywhere Else But Here + Path Of Reason+ Riders on a wave (2013) (Rain)
Tin Spirits    Old hands (2014) (Scorch)
Steeleye Span    Overture + The Dark Morris Song + The good witch (2013) (Wintersmith)
Steeleye Span    Rosebud in June (1972) (Below The Salt)
Jethro Tull    Broadsword (1982) (Broadsword And The Beast)
9pm
Unitopia    Take good care (2005) (More Than A Dream)
Unitopia    Even in the quietest moments (2013) (Covered Mirror Vol.1 Smooth As Silk)
Moon Safari    Too young to say goodbye (2013) (Himlabecken Vol.1)
The Flower Kings    Dark fascist skies (2013) (Desolation Rose)
10pm
The Lammas Tide    Barefoot electric (2014) (Barefoot Electric)
The Lammas Tide    The Devil’s stone (2011) (High Tide)
Sympathy Orchestra    May the middle (2014) (Sword Machine)
Hawkwind    High Rise (live) (1978/1992) (The Hawklords Live)
Hawkwind    Shot down in the night (live) (1979) (Live ‘79)
Andy Jackson    The boy in the forest (2014) (Signal To Noise)
Pink Floyd    Side 2: Sum + Skins + Unsung + Anisina (2014) (The Endless River)

Edited by David64T - November 21 2014 at 18:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 07:09
Nice shows David! Thumbs Up

I also noticed The Wall on that Syd Barrett song, specificaly 'Mother'. The last recording of 'Echoes' with Wright is also amazing, probably as good as Pompeii.

I discovered some great bands today: Freedom To Glide (very Floyd indeed), Unitopia (I wasn't expecting that african tune after the symphonic intro and that cover pleased this Supertramp fan Tongue). Lammas Tide and Andy Jackson are also really good.

By the way, if you're interested in other Floyd-like bands check this band:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93601

It's a tribute album to PF band from my town and they used lots of vintage instruments and effects, some of them in common to what Floyd used back then Thumbs Up
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 08:13

Nice shows David! Thumbs Up

I also noticed The Wall on that Syd Barrett song, specificaly 'Mother'. The last recording of 'Echoes' with Wright is also amazing, probably as good as Pompeii.

I discovered some great bands today: Freedom To Glide (very Floyd indeed), Unitopia (I wasn't expecting that african tune after the symphonic intro and that cover pleased this Supertramp fan Tongue). Lammas Tide and Andy Jackson are also really good.

By the way, if you're interested in other Floyd-like bands check this band:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93601

It's a tribute album to PF band from my town and they used lots of vintage instruments and effects, some of them in common to what Floyd used back then Thumbs Up

Thanks MD - I'm very happy you enjoyed the music! I noticed the music I selected was leaning toward Floyd again this week but decided to leave it that way.

Unitopia are worth checking out - their final CD, the "covers" album, is on Bandcamp along with their live album so you can check out more of them if you want.

Right now I am listening to the Soundcloud you recommended - loving it! A good recommendation, thank you. I will be heading off to bed soon though - half past midnight here in Adelaide now.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 08:37
I will certainly check them out. Thanks!

I'm glad you like the band I suggested. Smile

Edited by Meltdowner - November 22 2014 at 08:39
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 16:47
G'day, please join me for another edition of Seasons of Change this Saturday night (Australian time) with a selection of progressive rock from Australia and around the world, featuring Adelaide band Unitopia recorded live and some heavier music from the Perth band Voyager. With much of Adelaide at the Glendi festival today and tomorrow, there's a musical detour to Greece including the band Aphrodite's Child, which in the early 1970's featured both the keyboard wizard Vangelis and the singer Demis 'Forever and ever' Roussos. And it's happy birthday this weekend to Roger Glover (Deep Purple).

8pm
Rush    Distant early warning (1984) (Grace Under Pressure)
Rush    The anarchist (2012) (Clockwork Angels)
Vangelis    The motion of the stars (1988) (Direct)
Aphrodite’s Child    The four horsemen (1972) (666)
September Code    B4U (2012) (Remembering Mirrors)
Voyager    Pulse 04 + Falling (2007) (Univers)
Andy Salvanos    Happy song (2011) (Dream Recall)
Camel    Ice (1979) (I Can See Your House From Here)
9pm
Sky    Where Opposites Meet (1979) (Sky)
Kevin Peek    Drifting (1982) (Life And Other Games)
John Williams    Travelling (1978) (Travelling)
Francis Monkman    The Long Good Friday soundtrack: Overture (1981) (The Long Good Friday soundtrack)
White Willow    Anamnesis (2000/2014) (Sacrament)
Dave Kerzner    Stranded Pt.1 (2014) (New World)
10pm
Roger Glover and Guests    The feast + Love is all (1974) (The Butterfly Ball)
Deep Purple    Perfect strangers (1984) (Perfect Strangers)
Unitopia    The garden (live) (2011) (One Night In Europe)
Gavin O'Loghlen & Cotter's Bequest    Trevethy Quoit + Hadrian’s wall + St Michael’s Mount + Cerne abbas (1998) (My Mother’s Country)
Sleepmakeswaves    (hello) cloud mountain (2011)  (.​.​and so we destroyed everything)

Edited by David64T - December 05 2014 at 08:30
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 08:05
G'day, please join me for another edition of Seasons of Change this Saturday night (Australian time) for a night of musical epics - or epic music, take your pick - featuring classic '70's Aussie prog rock from Fraternity and Sebastian Hardie, and more recent recordings from Alithia (Melbourne), Ben Craven (Brisbane) and The Break (blend: three parts Midnight Oil, one part Violent Femmes).

8pm
Fraternity    Seasons of Change (1971) (single only / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
The Flower Kings    One more time (2007) (The Sum of No Evil)
Renaissance    Song of Scheherazade (1975) (Scheherazade And Other Stories)
Ozric Tentacles    Jurassic shift (1993) (Jurassic Shift)
9pm
Sebastian Hardie    Windchase (1976) (The Windchase / Four Moments Of The Windchase)
Ben Craven    The conjurer + No specific harm + Solace+ Nobody dies forever Pt.2 (2011) (Great And Terrible Potions)
Alithia    Thirteen (2014) (To The Edge Of Time)
10pm
Yes
Pink Floyd (live)
The Break     Majestic Kelp (2013) (Space Farm)

Edited by David64T - December 05 2014 at 08:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 10:58
What an epic show yesterday, too many great classics to mention. I really liked that Sebastian Hardie track, I have to listen to his albums... I think I already said it once Big smile

You said that Waters excepcionally sang on that live track but he's the one who sings on the studio version, although he does sound more like Gilmour on that one Ermm

By the way, I listened to the four Unitopia albums and they are really good, especially the last two Thumbs Up
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 04:24

What an epic show yesterday, too many great classics to mention. I really liked that Sebastian Hardie track, I have to listen to his albums... I think I already said it once Big smile

Thanks MD - I'm glad you liked the show! The set of "epics" was fun to put together -and quick too - I'm grateful for that in a week when my day job has been busy.  Incidentally, "Sebastian Hardie" the band doesn't actually feature a person called "Sebastian Hardie" - I've no idea exactly why the chose the name (I did a quick web search just then). If you're interested, there's an interesting interview with guitarist Mario Millo here.

You said that Waters excepcionally sang on that live track but he's the one who sings on the studio version, although he does sound more like Gilmour on that one Ermm

Embarrassed Oops! I'll have to listen to the studio version again - maybe Roger just sounds more "Roger-like" on the live version then...That's my excuse... Roger's singing on that still sounds weird to me though, I'm so used to the studio version.

By the way, I listened to the four Unitopia albums and they are really good, especially the last two Thumbs Up

Excellent! Yes, a shame that band has split up now. Oddly enough, as far as I know, Unitopia did hardly any gigs here in Adelaide - the last Unitopia gig was in 2011 I think, before I'd even heard about them! It's both funny and sad to think they were relatively popular in Europe - enough to get a deal with Inside Out - but little known here in Adelaide, their home town.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 06:30
Thanks for that interview, so the origin of the name was something like Sgt. Peppers then. I found interesting that he mentioned the lack of money and venues to why they broke up and they would have more scope in Europe and here prog bands say the same only changing to "anywhere else in Europe" Ermm

Yeah, I know what you mean, he sounds like the crazy The Wall Roger I know and hate Tongue

From what I've been told, the band members formed United Progressive Fraternity after that, although they only played on "the other Europe" so far. Their album is on Progstreaming by the way.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 04:00

From what I've been told, the band members formed United Progressive Fraternity after that, although they only played on "the other Europe" so far. Their album is on Progstreaming by the way.

Yes - the UPF album is on order for me right now - I hope to get it soon.  Thanks for the tip - I will check it out on Progstreaming!
Smile
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 07:52
G'day, please join me for another edition of Seasons of Change this Saturday night (Australian time) with a selection of progressive rock from Australia and around the world, spending some time with some of the more interesting music releases from the last 12 months. This includes some excellent Australian music from Quiet Child (Adelaide), Anubis (Sydney), The Lammas Tide (Perth), Ben Craven & The Section (Brisbane), Hibernal (Brisbane) and Sympathy Orchestra (Adelaide), plus a reminder of the remarkable gig in June at the Gov by The Crimson Projekct.

8pm
IQ     The road of bones (2014) (The Road Of Bones)
Transatlantic    Into the blue (2014) (Kaleidoscope)
Nick Magnus    Time (2014) (N’Monix)
Iamthemorning    Os lunatam (2014) (Belighted)
A Secret River    No way to say goodbye (2014) (Colours Of Solitude)
9pm
Anubis    Room with a view (2014) (Hitchhiking To Byzantium)
Ben Craven & The Section    Golden band (2014) (Dissected)
Hibernal    Fragments of the past (instrumental) (2014) (Replacements)
The Lammas Tide    Dragonfly (2014) (Barefoot Electric)
The Lammas Tide    When all is said and done (2014) (Barefoot Electric)
Quiet Child    Bonewreath (2014) (Chapter & Verse)
10pm
Pink Floyd    Louder than words (2014) (The Endless River)
Synaesthesia    Epiphany (2014) (Synaethesia)
The Crimson Projekct    Sleepless (2014) (Live In Tokyo)
Opeth    Cusp of eternity (2014) (Pale Communion)
Robert Reed    Sanctuary (2014) (Sanctuary)
Perfect Beings    Fictions (2014) (Perfect Beings)
Sympathy Orchestra    Danger (2014) (Sword Machine)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 08:07
Great playlist! I won't be able to listen tomorrow unfortunately Unhappy
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 16:28

Great playlist! I won't be able to listen tomorrow unfortunately Unhappy

Sorry to hear that MD Unhappy but thanks for the kind words on the playist! Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 17:46
I know most of those songs, I think I'm covered :P
Probably my favourites from those are PF obviously, Robert Reed because I know every bit of Oldfield's classic albums, so another one is welcome, and Hibernal is simply amazing. :)
I think it was a very good year for RPI though.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 20:40

I know most of those songs, I think I'm covered :P
Probably my favourites from those are PF obviously, Robert Reed because I know every bit of Oldfield's classic albums, so another one is welcome, and Hibernal is simply amazing. :).

You may like to check out the instrumental version of some music from "The Machine" then, that Mark Healy (Hibernal) has just released - if you haven't already, that is!

I think it was a very good year for RPI though.

Smile I'm sure it was! Sadly I don't have a lot of RPI and what I do have access to is the better known RPI from the '70's (PFM, Banco).  I am open to suggestions on 2014 RPI though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>