Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seasons Of Change: Prog Radio, Adelaide, Australia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seasons Of Change: Prog Radio, Adelaide, Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 05:57
Originally posted by David64T David64T wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Do they consider King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard to be prog? 

It depends on who "they" are I guess... Smile 

By "they", I mean whoever runs the Seasons Of Change Prog Radio.

To answer your question, off the top of my head, I'd venture no - KG is probably known more as a "psychedelic" band I think?

Regardless of the above, KG have a place on Seasons Of Change though, in the past and in the future

Oh ok. I'm glad to see KG have a place even if they're not exactly regarded as prog.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 14:53

Do they consider King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard to be prog? 

It depends on who "they" are I guess... Smile 

By "they", I mean whoever runs the Seasons Of Change Prog Radio.

To answer your question, off the top of my head, I'd venture no - KG is probably known more as a "psychedelic" band I think?

Regardless of the above, KG have a place on Seasons Of Change though, in the past and in the future

Oh ok. I'm glad to see KG have a place even if they're not exactly regarded as prog.

No probs! Yes KG are great - a search of the playlist blog shows 4 appearances in the last 12 months so they are doing OK.

Seasons Of Change is basically a single 2 hour weekly program here on community radio PBA-FM, compiled and presented by myself for now (I would be more than happy to share the load, I have to say). The content of each edition of Seasons Of Change is limited to what I can arrange within limits of time and energy, so I tend to only post details of special shows here on PA e.g. all-Australian ones like this one, as there's a lot of good music around from Australia that doesn't get airplay even locally. Commercial radio and the ABC leave massive gaps in this respect, which are filled by community radio only as far as practical...

Playlists for all shows since the first in 2012 are available at https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/ and I put links in for all the Australian artists, usually to their Facebook page.

Edited by David64T - January 26 2019 at 14:55
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 05:03
Following on from last week's special Australia Day edition of Seasons Of Change, tonight was another all-Australian expedition into the electic world of the early 1970's "head" music scene around Australia, most (but not all) who are here on PA; featuring a few bands who have never been far from Saturday nights and some appearing for the first time...and all (it is good to say) available in recent times on rather nice CD re-issues too...

8pm
Tamam Shud    Mr Strange + It’s a beautiful day (Nov 1969) (Evolution)
Tamam Shud    I love you all + Goolutionites Theme Part 2 (Oct 1970) (Goolutionites And The Real People)
Tamam Shud    See the swells (1972) (Morning Of The Earth film s/track / bonus track on re-issue of Goolutionites And The Real People)
Samael Lilith    Nights in white satin (Feb 1970) (single only / So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star?)
Jeff St John & Copperwine    Cloud nine (March 1970) (Joint Effort)
Levi Smith's Clefs    Lisa (March 1970) (Empty Monkey)
Tully    The sun is shining (July 1970) (Tully)
Tully    Sea of joy (Part 1) (June 1971) (Sea Of Joy)
9pm
Sons Of The Vegetal Mother    Love is the law + Make it begin (Oct 1970) (Garden Party EP)
Kahvas Jute    Vikings + Free (Jan 1971) (Wide Open)
Dave Miller Set    Mr Guy Fawkes (July 1969) (single only / Peculiar Hole In The Sky)
Dave Miller Set    No need to cry (March 1970) (single only / Psych Bites: Australian Freakrock 1967-1974)
Spectrum    Drifting (March 1971) (Part One)
Fraternity    Seasons of Change (March 1971) (single only / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969 - 1974, compilation)
Healing Force    Golden Miles (July 1971) (single only / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Ben Rogers Instrumental Asylum    Seasons of change (2007) (Reverb Rehab)

Hearing how good these songs sounded when played together in their own dedicated show, I can only say there will be more such shows coming up...! Smile

Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 04:08
Partway through tonight's show, which has a spacier-than-usual flavour in part as a tribute to the NASA Mars Rover Opportunity that had lasted way longer than it's estimated service time of 3 months (rather like this show, Seasons Of Change). About to launch into fifteen minutes of the rather forbidding sounds of Adelaide post-rock/post-metal/whatever band Overview Effect...

8pm
Frank Zappa and The Mothers    I’m the slime (1973) (Overnite Sensation)
Frank Zappa    Don’t eat the yellow snow (single version) (1974) (Apostrophe)
Vangelis    Alpha (1975) (Albedo 0.39)
Vangelis    Heaven & Hell 3rd movement (1975) (Heaven & Hell)
Porcupine Tree    The sky moves sideways Phase 1 + Phase 2 (1997) (The Sky Moves Sideways)
9pm
Andy Salvanos    Mandelblomma (2018) (Solar Cycles)
Ian MacFarlane    Hidden leaves + Fingers pointing at the moon (1987/2018) (Planetarium)
Steven Wilson    Luminol (2013) (The Raven That Refused To Sing)
Overview Effect    Inertia (2015) (Tundra)

Edited by David64T - February 16 2019 at 04:10
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 06:51
Coming up on Seasons Of Change this Saturday night, as promised after the initial show in early February (the first Saturday after Australia Day), is the second in an occasional series of programs focused on and around the early '70's "head music" scene around Australia. It moves from early 1971 to 1972 and featuring The Masters Apprentices (PA) (Adelaide), Company Caine (PA), Daddy Cool, Spectrum (PA) and The Wild Cherries (Melbourne), Bakery (PA) (Perth), Blackfeather (PA), Flake and Wendy Saddington (Sydney). Maybe not 100% prog, but I hope 100% interesting!
David

8pm
Blackfeather Seasons of change + Mango’s theme (Apr 1971) (At The Mountains Of Madness)
Blackfeather Tomorrow never knows (live on GTK, Mar 1971) (At The Mountains Of Madness, bonus track)
Bakery Dying in the dark (July 1971) (Single only, Golden Miles
: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Bakery Living with a memory (Aug 1972) (Momento)
Wendy Saddington & The Copperwine Backlash blues (live, Jan 1971) (Sept 1971) (Wendy Saddington & The Copperwine Live)
Flake Under the silent tree (Nov 1971, single) (Dec 1971, How’s Your Mother)
Flake Breadalbane (Feb 1974) (B-side of single / Psych Bites: Australian Acid Freakrock 1969-1974)
The Wild Cherries I’m the sea (stop killing me) (Nov 1971) (Single only / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
9pm
Spectrum   Milesago + What the world needs (is a new pair of socks) (Dec 1971) (Milesago)
Company Caine Simple song of spring (Nov 1971) (A Product of a Broken Reality)
Company Caine The day Superman got busted (live on GTK, Apr 1971) (A Product of a Broken Reality, bonus track)
The Master’s Apprentices Melodies of St. Kilda/Southern Cross + Thyme to rhyme (Jan 1972) (A Toast To Panama Red )
Daddy Cool Make your stash (Jan 1972) (Sex, Dope, Rock n Roll: Teenage Heaven)
Ben Rogers Instrumental Asylum Seasons of change (2007) (Reverb Rehab)

That's starting at 8pm on this coming Saturday night, and a multitude of times elsewhere. Available on the night on 89.7FMhere in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia, and everywhere else via streaming from the PBA-FM website (pbafm.org.au). Any updates to the planned tracklist will be at the usual place: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/

Here's an artefact from 1971, complete with talented lead guitarist John Robinson, whose kaftan doesn't seem to cramp his style - Blackfeather playing "Mango's theme", live in an ABC studio for the TV show GTK:

Edited by David64T - October 03 2019 at 17:45
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 03:03
Coming up on Seasons Of Change this Saturday night, as promised after the initial show in early February (the first Saturday after Australia Day), is the third in an occasional series of programs focused on and around the early '70's "head music" scene around Australia.

It moves from mid 1972 to early 1974 and featuring Ariel, Indelible Murtceps, Mackenzie Theory, Madder Lake, Star Spangled Banger (Melbourne) and Buffalo, McPhee and Tully (Sydney). See also previous programs on 13 April 2019 and 2 February 2019Again maybe not 100% prog, but  pretty close and I reckon 100% interesting!

8pm
Indelible Murtceps Esmerelda (May 1972) (Warts Up Your Nose)
Indelible Murtceps We are indelible + Be my honey + But that’s alright (live, Sunbury, Jan 1972) (Warts Up Your Nose – bonus tracks on reissue)
Tully Loving is hard + Ice (May, 1972) (Loving Is Hard)
McPhee The wrong time (1972) (McPhee)
Madder Lake Salmon Song + On my way to heaven (April 1973) (Still Point)
9pm
Mackenzie Theory World’s the way (July 1973) (Out Of The Blue)
Buffalo Freedom (August 1973) (Volcanic Rock)
Ariel Garden of the frenzied Cortinas + A hard way to go (Dec 1973) (Strange Fantastic Dream)
Madder Lake Mother ship (Mar 1974) (Butterfly Farm)
Star Spangled Banger Don’t you (1973) Star Spangled Banger)

That's starting very soon at 8pm on this coming Saturday night,  and a multitude of times elsewhere. Available on the night on 89.7FMhere in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia, and everywhere else via streaming from the PBA-FM website (pbafm.org.au). Any updates to the planned tracklist will be at the usual place: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/

From the ABC TV show GTK, that seemingly vast treasure chest of early 70's Aussie culture and sounds, twenty-plus minutes of Sydney heavy band Buffalo thundering through a set of their early tunes:

Edited by David64T - October 03 2019 at 17:32
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 05:38

Coming up on Seasons Of Change this Saturday night, as promised after the initial show in early February (the first Saturday after Australia Day), is the third in an occasional series of programs focused on and around the early '70's "head music" scene around Australia.

It moves from mid 1972 to early 1974 and featuring Ariel, Indelible Murtceps, Mackenzie Theory, Madder Lake, Star Spangled Banger (Melbourne) and Buffalo, McPhee and Tully (Sydney). See also previous programs on 13 April 2019 and 2 February 2019Again maybe not 100% prog, but  pretty close and I reckon 100% interesting!

8pm
Indelible Murtceps Esmerelda (May 1972) (Warts Up Your Nose)
Indelible Murtceps We are indelible + Be my honey + But that’s alright (live, Sunbury, Jan 1972) (Warts Up Your Nose – bonus tracks on reissue)
Tully Loving is hard + Ice (May, 1972) (Loving Is Hard)
McPhee The wrong time (1972) (McPhee)
Madder Lake Salmon Song + On my way to heaven (April 1973) (Still Point)
9pm
Mackenzie Theory World’s the way (July 1973) (Out Of The Blue)
Buffalo Freedom (August 1973) (Volcanic Rock)
Ariel Garden of the frenzied Cortinas + A hard way to go (Dec 1973) (Strange Fantastic Dream)
Madder Lake Mother ship (Mar 1974) (Butterfly Farm)
Star Spangled Banger Don’t you (1973) Star Spangled Banger)

That's starting very soon at 8pm on this coming Saturday night,  and a multitude of times elsewhere. Available on the night on 89.7FMhere in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia, and everywhere else via streaming from the PBA-FM website (pbafm.org.au). Any updates to the planned tracklist will be at the usual place: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/

Apologies to anyone who has tuned in but due to technical difficulties in the studio this show is being postponed to a later date... Cry

To cut a long story short, from now till 10pm will be a selection of prog rock classics off the computer by the usual suspects - Floyd, Genesis, etc. All good stuff but not really what was hoped for...
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 17:46
Tonight, a selection from the ambitious 1995 concept album Mouse by the Melbourne band Aragon, which has just been re-issued in a digital-only form; plus, from the Birthday Book, music featuring Kevin Ayers, Colin Moulding (XTC) and Barry Hay (Golden Earring).

8pm
Lifesigns    Telephone (2013) (Lifesigns)
Marillion    Beautiful (1995) (Afraid Of Sunlight)
Aragon    The dark + A private matter + Waiting on a life + The gate + End of the Line Part 1 + End of the Line Part 2 (1995 / 2019 re-issue) (Mouse)
White Willow    Now in these fairy lands (1995 / 2013 re-issue) (Ignis Fatuus)
XTC    My bird performs (1992) (Nonesuch)
Dukes Of Stratosfear    The Affiliated (1987) (Psionic Psumspot / The Dukes Of Stratosfear: An Anthology)
XTC    Standing in for Joe (2000) (Wasp Star)
9pm
Kevin Ayers    Blue (1976) (Yes We Have No Mananas)
Kevin Ayers     The oyster and the flying fish (1970)  (Shooting At The Moon)
Kevin Ayers    Whatevershebringswesing (1972) (Whatevershebringswesing)
Golden Earring    Song of a devil’s servant (1969) (Eight Miles High)
Golden Earring    Radar love (1973) (Moontan)
Anubis    The deepest wound + Technicolour Afterlife (2018) (Different Stories)

Here's a little more of Melbourne neo-prog band Aragon recorded live in 1989, with an embryonic version of a song later on the Mouse album:

Edited by David64T - October 03 2019 at 17:28
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 08:21
Tonight (Saturday night), the fourth in an occasional series of programs focused on and around the early '70's "head music" scene around Australia, with live recordings from Ariel, Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, Company Caine, Madder Lake and Spectrum/Murtceps (Melbourne), plus Buffalo and Tamam Shud (Sydney) and the eclectic Hungarian/Australian jazz-rock group Syrius featuring the legendary Jackie Orszáczky.

That's 8pm Adelaide time on community radio PBA-FM, a multitude of times elsewhere.
You can tune in various ways, including the PBA-FM website (here) or Tune-in (here).

8pm
Tamam Shud    Midday ‘til four + Bali waters + Being absolutely free (live, Dec 1971) (Goolutionites And The Real People, bonus tracks)
Wendy Saddington & The Copperwine   Tomorrow never knows (live, Jan 1971) (Wendy Saddington & Copperwine Live) 
Indelible Murtceps    We are indelible (live, Sunbury, Jan 1972) (Warts Up Your Nose, bonus track)
Spectrum    I'll be gone (live, Sunbury, Jan 1972) (Milesago, bonus track)
Company Caine    Hey George + Now I’m together (live at Mulwala Festival, Apr 1972) (Dr Chop, bonus tracks)
Madder Lake    Down the river (live, Sunbury, Jan 1973) (Sunbury 1973)
9pm
Madder Lake    Bumper bar song + When is a mouse (live at Garrison, Jun 1973) (Still Point, bonus tracks)
Buffalo    Shylock (live, 1973) (Volcanic Rock, bonus track)
Ariel    Rock ‘n roll scars + I can’t say what I mean (live, Dec 1975) (A-Reefer-Derci / Rock n Roll Scars, bonus tracks)
Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band    Out in the suburbs + Malcolm the prefect + Roll that reefer (live, Dec 1975) (A-Reefer-Derci / Wangaratta Wahini, bonus tracks)
Syrius   GTK Theme / Strawberry fields forever (live, GTK, 1971) (The GTK Tapes Vol.2)

The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band in action on ABC TV (Countdown) in 1975:

...and a few years earlier with a perhaps bemused but enthusiastic interviewer on ABC TV's GTK:

Edited by David64T - October 03 2019 at 17:29
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 17:23
For the 400th edition of Seasons Of Change this Saturday night, it's almost business as usual except that some of the featured music is from some more recent bands that haven't had a guernsey until now. The start of Bach-tober is also marked with the souped-up version of J.S. Bach's Toccata from the band Sky, which featured two Australian guitarists (John Willams and Kevin Peek) and unexpectedly hit the top of the charts in several countries in 1980.

You can tune in various ways, including the PBA-FM website (here) or Tune-in (here).

8pm
Shadow Gallery    Destination unknown (2001) (Legacy)
Southern Empire    The bridge that binds (2016) (Southern Empire)
Magellan    Estadium Nacional (1994) (Impending Ascension)
Sky    Toccata (1980) (Sky 2)
9pm
Yes    Endless dream: Silent spring/Talk/Endless dream (1994) (Talk)
Wolverine    Nemesis (2016) (Machina Viva)
RWPL    Tell me why (2002) (Trying To Kiss the Sun)
Projected Twin    Earth to world (2010) (Earth To World)
Roger Waters    Wish you were here (live, USA) (2006) (In The Flesh)
Fraternity    Seasons of Change (1971) (Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)

Here's a little more Southern Empire with a promo video for another song from their first album in 2016:

Edited by David64T - January 24 2020 at 14:22
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2019 at 03:38
This week on Seasons Of Change, Saturday 8pm Adelaide time, classic songs from Spectrum and Ariel and more recent music from UPF and Mushroom Giant; plus, amongst a heap of other classic sounds, just a bit more from Jethro Tull guitarist Martin Barre now playing solo and scheduled to play Adelaide Friday week. As usual, more info and full playlist is at https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/?m=0.

8pm
Spectrum    The Sideways Saga (1971) (Milesago)
Ariel    Rock & roll scars (1975) (Rock & Roll Scars)
Ariel    Jamaican farewell (live) (1977) (More From Before / Ariel Live In Concert)
United Progressive Fraternity    Travelling man (The story of ESHU) (2014) (Fall In Love With The World)
Ozric Tentacles    Trees of eternity (1985) (Tantric Obstacles)
9pm
Nektar    A tab in the ocean (1972) (A Tab In The Ocean)
Moon Safari    Doorway (2005/2012) (A Doorway To Summer)
Mushroom Giant    Primaudial soup (2015) (Painted Mantra)
Renaissance    Northern lights (live, Japan, 2001) (In The Land Of The Rising Sun)
Martin Barre    Cry you a song (live, Oct 2018) (2019) (Live In NY)
Rush    The Spirit of Radio (live) (1998) (Different Stages - Live)

If you are in the mood for a 24 minute video clip, then this is for you and a fine piece of work too, c/- UPF:

Edited by David64T - November 23 2019 at 04:42
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 03:21
A Rush-fest is now in progress on Seasons Of Change, until just after 10pm Adelaide time, wrapping up with a couple of Aussie bands that have probably drawn at least some inspiration from Rush - playlist as follows:

8pm
Rush Anthem (1975) (Fly By Night)
Rush Bastille Day (1975) (Caress Of Steel)
Rush 2112 Overture / The temples of Syrinx (1976) (2112)
Rush Xanadu (1977) (A Farewell To Kings)
Rush La villa strangiato (1978) (Hemispheres)
Rush The spirit of radio (1980) (Permanent Waves)
Rush Limelight (1981) (Moving Pictures)
9pm
Rush Subdivisions (1982) (Signals)
Rush The enemy within (1984) (Grace Under Pressure)
Rush Big money (1985) (Power Windows)
Rush Time stand still (1987) (Hold Your Fire)
Rush Nobody’s hero (1993) (Counterparts)
Rush Ghost rider (2002) (Vapor Trails)
Rush The garden (2012) (Clockwork Angels)
Aronora This is anywhere (2015) (Escapology)
10pm
Southern Empire Crossroads (2018) (Civilisation)

More details at the usual spot: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 06:07
It's all-Australian music this Saturday night, with recent music from around Australia, including Unitopia, Southern Empire, Quiet Child, Peak and Solar Soma (from Adelaide), Anubis, Sebastian Hardie and Three Wise Monkeys (Sydney), Arcane, Ben Craven and Drawn From Bees (Brisbane) plus Aronara and Mushroom Giant (Melbourne) and as always rounding out the night with Ben Rogers Instrumental Asylum and his surf-grunge cover of Seasons of Change...

That's 8pm tonight, Adelaide time, a multitude of times elsewhere. You can tune in various ways, including the PBA-FM website (here) and Tune-in (here).

Next week, turning the clock back again to the head-music scene of the early 1970's with classic Aussie sounds from Spectrum, Tamam Shud and Tully, amongst others.

8pm
Sebastian Hardie I remember (2012) (Blueprint)
Unitopia Don’t give up love (2008) (The Garden)
Southern Empire Dreams and machines (2016) (Southern Empire)
Arcane Asylum: Acolyte Zero (2009) (Chronicles Of The Waking Dream)
Three Wise Monkeys Svengali (2020) (Isolation EP)
Aronora Vote 1: Anything (instrumental) + Fake escape (2015) (Escapology)
9pm
Mushroom Giant Graven image (2006) (single only)
Quiet Child Hotel shade (2013) (The Coming Storm)
Andy Salvanos   Mosaik (2018) (Solar Cycles)
Peak Gorilla gas (2018) (Slizdexics Untie)
Anubis Fool’s gold (2018) (Different Stories)
Solar Soma Cracked (2013) (So Much For Style)
Drawn From Bees Kindness (2018) (single only)
Ben Craven Great divide (2016) (The Single Edits)
Ariel   Rock ‘n roll scars (live, Dec 1975) (A-Reefer-Derci / Rock n Roll Scars, bonus track)

Edited by David64T - January 26 2020 at 01:41
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:57
Tonight, a show of two halves - in the first hour, music from the latest album by Adelaide's Dyssidia (with some cookie monster added to the mix) and other local goodness, followed by an hour of music from the US which may not appear on many other playlists for their Independence Day. "God bless America, and all those who sail in her"...

8pm
Dyssidia    Hope’s remorseful retreat + Good grief (2020) (Costly Signals)
Aura Form    Secrets of the sun + Floating South (2016) (Vesica Pisces)
Southern Empire    Hold (2016) (Southern Empire)
Unitopia    More than a dream (2005) (More Than A Dream)
9pm
Tiles    Modification (1999) (Presents Of Mind)
Spock’s Beard    Thoughts (1996) (Beware Of Darkness)
Kansas    Cheyenne anthem (1976) (Leftoverture)
District 97    Snow country (2015) (In Vaults)
Glass Hammer    Rapturo (2016) (Valkyrie)
OSI    ShutDOWN (2003) (Office Of Strategic Influence)
Frank Zappa and The Mothers    I’m the slime (1973) (Overnite Sensation)

More details at the usual spot: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/.

Outside of beautiful Adelaide, as usual, you can also tune in from anywhere via streaming from the PBA-FM website (pbafm.org.au) or Tune-in etc.

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 21:41
If you have 30 minutes to spare, you may be interested in this podcast which takes a quick but reasonably well-informed look at Aussie prog rock, mostly from the '70's.

There are no surprises from the chat within to anyone familiar with the Aussie scene (or, ahem, a quick browse of the Seasons Of Change playlist blog) but it is an entertaining listen nonetheless... Smile

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 18:01

Due to the COVID lockdown, at this stage, there will be no Seasons Of Change this Saturday night. 

Please see the PBA-FM website and the official PBA-FM Facebook page for more information.

Instead, please take the time to:

- enjoy the varied musical mix brought to you during the lockdown period by our automation system.

- have a look at the PBA-FM website, if you haven't already, and find out more about the many and varied shows usually available every week on your local station - including, but not limited to: great local and independent music on Max Radio (Tuesday 9pm and Saturday 10pm); Adelaide's best 70's request show, Living In The 70's (Wednesday afternoon), electronic sounds with Somewhere Down There (Thursday 9pm) and K-pop and more on Saturday Hot Pot; plus, away from the world of music, two of the jewels of PBA-FM programming - Words Out Loud, the show where everyone has a story and you can take the "5 word challenge" (fortnightly, Tuesday morning) and The Kitchen Table where you'll find interesting guests and the best conversation (Wednesday 1:30pm).

Of course, there's heaps more - just check out the station website at https://www.pbafm.org.au/ and browse the schedule to find out more.

Seasons Of Change thanks the sponsors of your local radio station PBA-FM and encourages you to support them too - please see the PBA-FM website for more information.

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 18:03
Here is a preview of the program for Saturday week (28 November) - assuming of course that the lockdown in Adelaide is no longer in place...featuring music from Aussie bands The Slow Light, Arcane (so so so good), Anim8 and Urtekk. Dream Theater - A Symphonic Suite is available on Bandcamp and is highly recomended...

8pm
Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets    One of these days (live) (2019) (Live At The Roundhouse)
Tiger Moth Tales    Golden (2020) (Still Alive / A Visit To Rockfield)
Tiger Moth Tales    Story tellers (2015) (Story Tellers Part 1)
The Slow Light    Dream sequence (2020) (Cinema Of The Mind)
Arcane    Fading (2009) (Chronicles Of The Waking Dream)
Anim8    Embrya (2010) (Anim8)
Urtekk    Patterns (2015) (DM-3 Project)
9pm
Magnum    Kingdom of madness (1978) (Kingdom Of Madness)
Marillion    That time of night (1987) (Clutching At Straws)
Van der Graaf Generator    Scorched earth (1975) (Godbluff)
Joseph Stevenson    Dream Theater – A Symphonic Suite (2018) (Dream Theater – A Symphonic Suite)
Renaissance    Things I don’t understand (live) (2011) (Tour 2011 Live In Concert: Turn Of The Cards & Scheherazade)
Junior    (Jacarandas in) November (2020) (The Fibro Majestic)

Seasons Of Change thanks the sponsors of your local radio station PBA-FM and encourages you to support them too - please see the PBA-FM website for more information.

Edited to (in part) fix an obvious typo.

Edited by David64T - November 19 2020 at 18:07
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2020 at 20:56
Better late than never - here the playlist for the final edition of Seasons Of Change for 2020, focussing on some damn good music released by Aussie artists during 2020, along with links for the Aussie artists.

Red Sea aren't on PA but they have a few prog moments within their heavy attack and have a fine female singer in Erica Bowron (they were previously known as Domino: Triple-J Unearthed page here, album review here).

Emily Barker sneaks in because she has put out a captivating set of music in her latest album (A Dark Murmuration of Words), she is an Aussie expat and her music doesn't sound out of place at all on Saturday night amidst a sea of prog rock old and new...

Adelaide electronic band Peak also sneak in with their 1980 album because they managed their first official re-issue on CD this year, only 40 years after the orginal LP release (which wasn't exactly in a vast quantity at the time).

A lot couldn't be squeezed into the 2 hours, including the new Haken album (of course) and the very nice 2 CD set of Madder Lake from Aztec Records. much of it never relesed till now. Here is Oz, Madder Lake's name is often seen in print when early 70's Australian prog rock is discussed (along with Spectrum, Tamam Shud, Tully, Company Caine, et al) but like a few others they aren't in PA.

8pm
The Slow Light    Cinema of the mind (2020) (Cinema Of The Mind)
Dyssidia    Hope’s remorseful retreat (2020) (Costly Signals)
Tiger Moth Tales    Still alive (2020) (Still Alive / A Visit To Rockfield)
Ben Craven & Tim Bennets    Your move & Wurm (live) (2020) (Prog Australis)
Three Wise Monkeys    Svengali (2020) (Isolation EP)
Moonshot    Worlds of yesterday (2020) (Worlds Of Yesterday, A Retrospective 1971-1992)
Caligula's Horse    Salt (2020) (Rise Radiant)
Emily Barker    Machine (solo a capella) (2020) (digital single)
9pm
Wobbler    Five rooms (2020) (Dwellers Of The Deep)
Peak    Nightmist (1980/2020) (EBONDÀZZAR)
Anubis    Home from Home (live, 2020) (2020) (digital single)
Red Sea    Shadow of a man (2020) (Sanguine)
Toehider    Concerning Lix and Fairs (2020) (I Like It!)
Ken Hensley’s Live Fire    Circle of hands (live) (2013) (Live!)
Rush    Afterimage (1984) (Grace Under Pressure)

More info about the show is at the usual place (the playlist blog): https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/

I (David) also run a FB account for Seasons Of Change which until recently I have only used occasionally (I am not an eager FB user to start off with...). In case you are interested, it can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/seasonsofchangeradio

Roll on 2021!

Edited by David64T - December 27 2020 at 21:26
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 17:19
Over the course of each year, compiling and presenting a radio show each week takes a lot of time and effort, especially when done in the time which is available after the commitments of a day job and other day to day tasks.

The Summer period (December, January and February) can be rather a relief when I can get away with some relatively simple "summer specials", in which I can focus on (say) a musical style, or a specific year. That's the theory anyway - in practice, it almost works out that way...

So far this month, each show has (perhaps predictably) focussed on the year 1971 (50 years ago).

For the sake of completeness, here are the playlists for the first two January editions of Seasons Of Change. They feature a surprising number of Aussie bands - in my estimation, not all can be classed as prog rock but many come from the (rather state-based) "head music" scenes at the time, and others are bands considered "progressive" at the time in some other sense - for instance, "progressive blues" is a term I've seen a few times when researching Aussie music from the early '70's. The early 70's Aussie music scene is a beast unto itself. really, to cut a long story short.

2 January 2021
8pm
Lotus    Lotus 1 (I’ll be gone) (Jan 1971) (single only / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Spectrum    I’ll be gone (Jan 1971) (single, bonus track on re-issue of Part 1)
Kahvas Jute    Vikings (Jan 1971)  (Wide Open)
Barclay James Harvest    Mocking bird (Feb 1971) (Once Again)
Steeleye Span    The blacksmith (Feb 1971) (Please To See The King)
Yes    I’ve seen all good people (Feb 1971) (The Yes Album)
Spectrum    Drifting (Mar 1971) (Part One)
Fraternity    Seasons of Change (Mar 1971) (Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Jethro Tull    Locomotive breath (Mar 1971 ) (Aqualung )
The Groundhogs    Cherry red (1971) (Split)
9pm
Procol Harum    Song for a dreamer (Apr 1971) (Broken Barricades)
Blackfeather    Seasons of change (Part 1) (Apr 1971) (At The Mountains Of Madness)
The Doors    Riders on the storm (Apr 1971) (LA Woman)
Caravan    Nine feet underground (Apr 1971) (In The Land Of Grey And Pink)
The Master’s Apprentices    Because I love you (April 1971) (Choice Cuts)

9 January 2021
8pm
Zoot    The freak (Apr 1971) (B-side of Evil Child single, follow-up to Elenaor Rigby  / Zoot Locker)
Pirana     Here it comes again (May 1971) (Pirana II/Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Tully    I feel the sun & Sea of joy part 2 (Jun 1971) (Sea Of Joy)
Pirana    Gassin’ / GTK Theme (live on GTK, Apr 1971) (1994) (The GTK Tapes Vol.1)
Tamam Shud    GTK Theme / America (live on GTK, Apr 1971) (1994) (The GTK Tapes Vol.1)
Blackfeather    Tomorrow never knows (live on GTK, Mar 1971) (1994) (At The Mountains Of Madness, bonus track on reissue)
Bakery    Dying in the dark (July 1971) (Single only, Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Ash    Midnight witch  / Warrant (1971) (A-side & B-side of single / The Complete Havoc Singles 1971-1973)
Healing Force    Golden Miles (Jul 1971) (single only / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Healing Force    The gully (Jul 1971) (single only, B-side to “Golden miles” / Psych Bites: Australian Freakrock 1967-1974 Vol.1)
9pm
The Moody Blues    The story in your eyes (Jul 1971) (Every Good Boy Deserves Favour)
Gentle Giant    Wreck (Jul 1971) (Acquiring The Taste)
Mahavishnu Orchestra    Vital transformation (Aug 1971) (The Inner Mounting Flame)
Ramases    Life child (Aug 1971) (Space Hymns)
Curved Air    Everdance (Sept 1971) (Second Album)
Van der graaf Generator    Man Erg (Oct 1971) (Pawn Hearts)
Hawkwind    Master of the universe (Oct 1971) (In Search Of Space)
Doug Parkinson In Focus    Do not go gentle (Dylan Thomas) (live on GTK, Aug 1971) (1994) (The GTK Tapes Vol.1)

Full details as usual at the normal playlist blog: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com/
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 17:31
Here is the third and final instalment of 1971 music from Seasons Of Change this month (8pm this Saturday, Adelaide time).

The word "eclectic" hardly seems adequate for the mix of local and overseas music, but the first two shows hung together surprisingly well so I expect this will too....tbh I feel like the more mainstream stuff from Europe is rather a distraction...

Apparently the Spectrum album "Milesago" was something of a milestone at the time: a beautifully presented double album in gatefold form, chock-full of trippy music from Mike Rudd and co and appropriately trippy cover art too; the PA page is here. Being only 6 years old at the time, I was blissfully unwaware of it's existence of course.

8pm (links are given for each Aussie band)
Spectrum    What the world needs is a new pair of socks + Untitled + The Sideways Saga (Dec 1971) (Milesago)
Melissa    Getting through (Oct 1971) (Midnight Trampoline)
Focus    Focus II (Oct 1971) (Moving Waves)
Syrius    GTK Theme / Strawberry fields forever (live on GTK, Sept 1971) (1994) (The GTK Tapes Vol.2)
Chook    Cold feet (1971) (single, A-side / The Complete Havoc Singles 1971:1973)
Pink Floyd    A pillow of winds (Oct 1971) (Meddle)
Long Grass    Anywhere you wanna go (1971) (single, B-side of “Sunshine to burn / Psych Bites: Australian Acid Freakrock 1967-1974 Vol.1)
9pm
Genesis    Fountain of Salmacis (Nov 1971) (Nursery Cryme)
Yes    Roundabout (single, Nov 1971) (Fragile)
Emerson Lake & Palmer    Nut rocker (Nov 1971) (Pictures At An Exhibition)
The Wild Cherries    I’m the sea (stop killing me) (Nov 1971) (single / Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974)
Flake    Under the silent tree (Nov 1971) (single / Psych Bites: Australian Acid Freakrock 1969-1974)
Led Zeppelin    The battle of Evermore (Nov 1971) (Led Zeppelin IV)
Company Caine    Trixie Stonewall’s Wayward Home For Young Women (Nov 1971) (A Product Of A Broken Reality)
Tamam Shud    Bali waters (live, Dec 1971) (Goolutionites And The Real People, bonus track)
David Bowie    Changes (Dec 1971) (Hunky Dory)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>