Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould the Beach Boys be considered Proto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 03:48
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

'Smile' is certainly more progressive than any Beatles album.

Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 08:58
Interrestingly, Jim DeRogatis difinitive book (by anyone's standards) titled Turn On Your Mind: Four Decades of Great Psychedelic Rock,  published 2003, lists the Beach Boys as  first in the book as a psychedelic American rock group with particular emphasis on the song Good Vibrations (the use of the Electro-Therimin, psychedelic lyrics, choral and organ break, etc.) along with a description of the experimental approach to the ill fated Smile album.  While that album went defunct for a number of well know reasons, DeRogatis does expand on the salvaged Smiley Smile.

"Some of the songs that had been on Smile were recorded for Smiley Smile in different versions "Heroes and Villians, Wonderful. Wind Chimes and Vegetables, while a few new tracks were freshly recorded and tacked on ( the best is Brian's With Me Tonight; the worst being She's Going Bald. The harmoney vocals hold the spotlight through out and the result is not unlike what Hendrix called "a psychedelic barbershop quartet". He meant it as an insult but it's an Intruiging concept nonetheless and takes nothing away from the psychedelic intent of the Smiley Smile album, and indeed supports it."

Early Experimental Psychedelic Rock=Proto Prog

Smiley Smile=Proto Prog.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."

Edited by SteveG - September 13 2014 at 09:42
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 15:16
I think we all respect Brian Wilson but they are not proto-prog IMO.

Pet Sounds while progressive has hardly has any rock elements, Smile was not released until way after the fact and Smiley Smile is disjointed. Another fact is The Beach Boys relied heavily on another musicians to play their instrumental parts.

The comparison to The Beatles fails miserably as they were doing the heavy hitting with Rubber Soul, Revolver, Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road.

Another point is let's look at Revolver diversity which The Beach Boys never even approached on one album and of course is progressive.

There is nothing in the Beach Boys catalog as progressive or innovative as "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "Strawberry Fields Forever"

"Taxman' proto hard rock/funk, "Love You To" World Music, "Eleanor Rigby" classical, "For No One (Lieder/Art Song), "I'm Only Sleeping" psych/folk, "She Said She Said" Acid Rock", "And Your Bird Can Sing" Power Pop/ Twin Guitar Leads, "Yellow Submarine" Psych Novelty Song", "Got to Get You Into My Life" psych/soul and "Tomorrow Never Knows" basically invents a couple of genres IMO.

When someone says The Beach Boys are proto-prog please give me a break.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 19:49
The Beach Boys were progressive as far as surf music goes, and they took the California beach sound to its utter limits. However, I would never mistake them for a proto-prog rock band.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 21:21
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

Pet Sounds while progressive has hardly has any rock elements, Smile was not released until way after the fact and Smiley Smile is disjointed. Another fact is The Beach Boys relied heavily on another musicians to play their instrumental parts.

"Smile" was never released except as a nostalgic semi-official 'collectors release' years later (unless you mean Brian Wilson Presents Smile), but the session tapes Wilson had made for "Smile" were circulating not long after recording began.  

Smiley Smile
is indeed disjointed.   So what?   What does that have to do with being or not being protoprog?   It was among the first American avantgarde rock albums in history.

Edited by Atavachron - September 13 2014 at 21:21
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 06:13
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

"Smile" was never released except as a nostalgic semi-official 'collectors release' years later (unless you mean Brian Wilson Presents Smile), but the session tapes Wilson had made for "Smile" were circulating not long after recording began.   Smiley Smile is indeed disjointed.   So what?   What does that have to do with being or not being protoprog?   It was among the first American avantgarde rock albums in history.

With your premise I guess The Velvet Underground should be proto-prog as their first couple of albums were avant-garde/rock albums and minimalistic?

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 10:39

"Smile" was never released except as a nostalgic semi-official 'collectors release' years later (unless you mean Brian Wilson Presents Smile), but the session tapes Wilson had made for "Smile" were circulating not long after recording began.   Smiley Smile is indeed disjointed.   So what?   What does that have to do with being or not being protoprog?   It was among the first American avantgarde rock albums in history.

With your premise I guess The Velvet Underground should be proto-prog as their first couple of albums were avant-garde/rock albums and minimalistic?

Imo, The Velvet Underground should be in Avant Prog section.
The Velvet Underground in PA could be a nice counterpart of ex-Yugoslavian post-punk group Šarlo Akrobata who are already in PA as Avant Prog act as well.

Edited by Svetonio - September 15 2014 at 01:48
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:06
LOL
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:23

The comparison to The Beatles fails miserably as they were doing the heavy hitting with Rubber Soul, Revolver, Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road.

Another point is let's look at Revolver diversity which The Beach Boys never even approached on one album and of course is progressive.

There is nothing in the Beach Boys catalog as progressive or innovative as "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "Strawberry Fields Forever"

"Taxman' proto hard rock/funk, "Love You To" World Music, "Eleanor Rigby" classical, "For No One (Lieder/Art Song), "I'm Only Sleeping" psych/folk, "She Said She Said" Acid Rock", "And Your Bird Can Sing" Power Pop/ Twin Guitar Leads, "Yellow Submarine" Psych Novelty Song", "Got to Get You Into My Life" psych/soul and "Tomorrow Never Knows" basically invents a couple of genres IMO.

Good Vibrations was the epitome of Proto prog. You have had your break, now go take another.

"Doing the right thing is never superfluous."

Edited by SteveG - September 14 2014 at 12:35
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Good Vibrations was the epitome of Proto prog. You have had your break, now go take another.

I'm sorry, Steve, but claiming Good Vibrations is proto-prog is almost as ridiculous as saying Velvet Underground was prog. Almost.

Good Vibrations is surf music with a theremin thrown in. That doesn't constitute proto-prog.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 20:22
Is the influence and contribution of The Beach Boys to popular music in the last half of the 20th century somehow diminished because we don't classify The Beach Boys in the proto rock section of this site. I don't think so. Just as The Kinks and The Small Faces aren't classified here either, but all are fantastic bands who have influenced the sounds of a lot of prog rock bands here.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 21:15

There is no 'premise' and I have no agenda.   Artists are not added to PA because they compare well with other artists deemed progressive.   The Beach Boys were a rock band that was, or became, an art-rock band.   If that bothers you, tough.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 22:22

No, because they are more experimental than avantgarde, and minimalistic is the opposite of prog.

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm sorry, Steve, but claiming Good Vibrations is proto-prog is almost as ridiculous as saying Velvet Underground was prog. Almost.

Good Vibrations is surf music with a theremin thrown in. That doesn't constitute proto-prog.

If that's what Good Vibrations seems like to you, music might not be your thing. A Day in the Life is pop with an orchestral climax plastered on (actually, that's more accurate than what you said, seeing as Good Vibrations isn't surf music at all).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 00:42
^ I think arguing for 'Good Vibrations' as progressive or even protoprog is tenuous at best.   What I would say is that it appears on Smiley Smile, an otherwise unhinged and thoroughly irreverent album.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 01:10
When I was a little kid who just started to listen to rock music, going to concerts and buy LPs, in the mid-seventies, almost all of that was prog. At local fm radio back then I'd hear very often a song that I quite liked, and I thought that it's a prog song. Sometime later, when I decided to find and buy LP with that song, I was very disappointed when I've been told that the band is not prog band, and that song is "not prog song". The band was called the Beach Boys, and that song was Good Vibrations
However, Good Vibrations is still to be par excellence prog song for me.

Edited by Svetonio - September 15 2014 at 01:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 02:35
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

When I was a little kid who just started to listen to rock music, going to concerts and buy LPs, in the mid-seventies, almost all of that was prog. At local fm radio back then I'd hear very often a song that I quite liked, and I thought that it's a prog song. Sometime later, when I decided to find and buy LP with that song, I was very disappointed when I've been told that the band is not prog band, and that song is "not prog song". The band was called the Beach Boys, and that song was Good Vibrations
However, Good Vibrations is still to be par excellence prog song for me.
Clap Thanks for that Svetonio, very well put Clap 

Sometimes we forget that our own personal vision isn't quite the same as everyone else's because how we arrived at that view is by our own path of experience that no one else has trod. Good Vibrations doesn't stop being a great song just because it isn't a Prog or Proto-Prog song and no one can make you dislike something you quite liked just by disagreeing with your own personal image of what fits into a particular genre or category of music. There is no reason to be disappointed when people disagree with your opinion.

Ying Yang
What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 03:40
I think Holland is more art pop proggish anyway :-)

beaks of eagles...
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 04:43
A friend of mine who doesn't like much prog, and also hadn't ever heard the Beach Boys (or at least didn't remember anything by them), was like "eh, I don't like prog very much" when I played it for him. This is after me playing prog here and there for him. The song seemed basically in line with what I'd been playing. He never made such a comment with the Beatles, even A Day in the Life.

When I first started listening to prog, I never thought the Beach Boys (who I'd always known) were related to it. It was only later, after listening substantially to them with an unbiased ear that I realized they had some embryonic prog elements. My friend, who had no pre-conceived idea of them, saw the similarities immediately.

Edited by King Crimson776 - September 15 2014 at 04:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 06:13
Beyond this very good discussion, the elephant in the room is the question of whether the Beach Boys should be seriously considered for Proto.    In practical terms, particularly for the Admin team who would decide, would be whether the stated material is enough.   There is no doubt they were a rock band and even more so a Popular rock band (to the chagrin of many rock 'n roll purists at the time) who began diverging from their less ambitious pack of peers, much like the Beatles though less successfully.

I see the Beach Boys as protoprog, support their addition and have since the day I arrived but this is not a push by me for them to be added.   I have too much respect for the other opinions here and it would be a bitter pill to swallow for many.   But it is interesting to see some support where there used to be little.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 09:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I always feel sad when musicians make sweeping generalizations as music, like anything else, suffers if people don't know the history of past things and events more completely. How do you know where going if your not sure where you have been?

To say that Good Vibrations is nothing more than surf music with a Theremin would be like saying that Folk Rock is simply Folk music played on an electric guitar. For the record I will state that I personally don't care for the Beach Boys, early Beatles or the voice of Bob Dylan but I do care about the truth, so I have to use these artists in my post.

The 60's is often thought simply as a time of change. That is incorrect. It was a time of people changing. To get back to folk rock which for all intents and puposes was partially created by Dylan by performing at the staid 1965 Newport Folk Festival with an electric band to back up his new musical approach. This caused an incrededible uproar in the folk circles of the time, but the point is that Dylan recognised that he had to put a 4/4 beat under his songs and create a rhythm section with bass and drums. He also knew that going rock was going to involve placing a middle eight section in his songs to be played by either electric guitar or keyboards. For his electric Newport band, he brought in electric blues guitarist Mike Bloomfield to back him and solo. The Byrds had already perfected this folk rock concept with the hit Mr. Tambourine Man. (Incidentally writen by Dylan.)  Dylan followed suit and Folk Music and Folk Rock became seperate entities, forever.

The Beatles who get so much credit for innovation, and rightly so, were also highly influenced by outside musical sources. They did not invent Rock 'n' Roll but picked up it's mantle and moved forward. Their first big influence was Mr. Dylan and his newly introspective songwriting, that tickled John Lennon's fancy the most. it came out on songs like "You've got to hide your love away", "Ticket to ride" and later on, but musicaly hidden, on "Help. It was with this growth that The Beatles started to expand their bounderies to include new musical themes and lyrics, as well as changing personal and social factors, that brought us all the way up from Meet The Beatles to Sgt. Pepper's.

Brian Wilson was also seeking change. Surf Music was a south California music genre that developed in the late 1950's with the magical Dick Dale and his signature sounding "wet'' reverb Fender Mustang guitar that went on influence other surf music instrumental groups of the early 60's like the Ventures. If you've ever heard the song "Wipe Out" by The Surfaris with it's incessant rhythm, you know what Surf Music sounds like. Wilson and the Beach Boys used this template along with the multi part harmony vocals of 50's group The Four Freshman to make up the Beach Boy's surf sound. With Pet Sounds, Wison wanted to go past the surf sound and it's themes of surfer girls and hot rods.

For Pet Sounds he brought in a outside lyricist because he wanted someone to flesh out his more personal lyrics along with a more sophisticated way of composing that would employ more sophisticated arrangements and sessions musicians. He would also employ very different musical instruments in place of the stardard surf music combo of two guitars, bass and drums. While utilizing those instruments he would supplant them with organ, piano, tympani, sleigh bells, clarinet, bass clarinet, tenor and saprono saxophone, trumpet, trumbone, flutes, cello, violins, violas, vibraphone, glockenspiel, French horn, English horn and most strangely, harpsichord. He would also use the Theremin for the first time on any recorded Rock song. ("I know there's am answer" was the song.)

Pet Sounds was so removed from Surf Music that record company Capital was shocked by it and fellow Beach Boy co-founder and co-leader Mike Love was so disgusted by Wilson's change in musical direction that he called the new music on Pet Sounds Brian's "Ego Music". The Beach Boys' fans were disappointed by the album as well and it was the first poor selling BB's album of the 60's in America.

Simply put, Pet Sounds was no longer Surf Music. It was something else for it's time. Pop by today's standards, it was almost without musical category when it was released in 1966. And so was the hit "Good Vibrations" that immidiately followed it. The twangy Dick Dale inspired manic tempo'ed music about hot rods, Woody's and making out at the Drive-in was gone. Like Folk Rock splitting away from Folk, Pet Sounds had split away from Surf.  (But the Pet Sounds split off involved the lyrics as well as the music, so it went further off than Folk Rock from Folk Music.)

So much, that a group called the Beatles, that were so heavily insipred by the lyrics of Bob Dylan and were on their own musical exploration, took notice.

The elephant in the room is still the question about if the Beach Boys are Proto Prog, but it's nice to get the facts out in order to answer that question.

*Edited at 1630 hrs to add more  instruments to Pet Sounds' recording sessions and correct spelling of 'theremin'.

Edited by SteveG - September 15 2014 at 15:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>