Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould the Beach Boys be considered Proto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 09:55
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Ha, ha LOL

How can you claim PA's contribution to the list with all the omissions? Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and use the 
To be fair to SteveG (Shocked ... Wink) he used a "just for fun" Top-20 list I that linked to, which is in no way representative of the artists (and thus albums) we have in the Proto Prog section. As I explained in an earlier post, we have 42 different artists in that category.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:03
The list was only composed of PA picks of the 60's and was stated so.

But it does beg the question:

Does Proto Prog equal Prog? If so, why not just call it Prog then?

Dean, can you expand on this? Thanks, Steve
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:07
No [one] said that Proto Prog equals Prog. There is nothing to expand upon.

Edited by Dean - September 22 2014 at 10:26
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:09
^I see. He was discussing Prog Rock vs. Pop. My bad.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

"let there be prog and there was prog" ?

No, prog evolved gradually from progressive pop (and other non-rock genres) (Beach Boys?) over various proto prog genres (from sections of songs over song length to album length) to symphonic prog (ELP) etc.

(Edit: other branches led to the development of proto prog. For instance, fusion of genres.)

Edited by earlyprog - September 22 2014 at 10:44
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:32
^Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 12:05

No, prog evolved gradually from progressive pop (and other non-rock genres) (Beach Boys?) over various proto prog genres (from sections of songs over song length to album length) to symphonic prog (ELP) etc.

(Edit: other branches led to the development of proto prog. For instance, fusion of genres.)

I get the impression that some members don't like to openly admit  this. Actually it's just the way elements of Prog developed and part of the music progression.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I get the impression that some members don't like to openly admit  this. Actually it's just the way elements of Prog developed and part of the music progression.
I've been here seven years and I don't know who those members would be, I don't think anyone actually thinks that Sgt. Pepper begat The Crimson King and that is the be all and end all of it.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 13:40
I haven't actually heard the song Good Vibrations in many years, except for the occasional edit here and there. I think the song had a variation on the standard pop song verse, chorus, versus and final chorus formula which probably made it sound more proggy. That, and it's ornate instrumentation, is what probably sets off the Prog trigger in some people.

Edited by SteveG - September 22 2014 at 13:43
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 20:50

I haven't actually heard the song Good Vibrations in many years, except for the occasional edit here and there. I think the song had a variation on the standard pop song verse, chorus, versus and final chorus formula which probably made it sound more proggy. That, and it's ornate instrumentation, is what probably sets off the Prog trigger in some people.

Mrs. O' Leary's Cow...which was "The Fire Tapes" is just too strange and difficult to believe you're listening to The Beach Boys. It's based off 2 notes used in the tri-tone or "Devil's Interval" while The Beach Boys chant. Reminiscent of a style heard in the music of The Residents. Some of the instrumental pieces on The Beach Boys SMILE can be described in a joking manner as music for insane people. Sit in a room by yourself and listen to SMILE and then attempt to pin-point the influences. J.S.Bach is a heavy influence, but along with some sort of insane Avant-Garde approach in many different sections of songs like "Cabinessence", "Look", "Heroes & Villains Suite" and then the 2 melodic quirky ballads..."Wonderful" and :Wind Chimes" are beautifully melodic and contain depressing lyrics. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 22:13

Should the Beach Boys be considered Proto Prog because of Brian Wilson's employment of suite like movements and sophisticated lush musical arrangements for Pet Sounds?

Not necessary SteveG
I don't think they were original enough in their music or sound to classify them as the above.

The melody of The Beach Boys’ classic ‘Surfin’ USA’ is almost identical to the melody of Chuck’s 1958 classic ‘Sweet Little Sixteen’. They sounded so alike in fact that The Beach Boys had to give Berry co-writing credit in order to avoid a lawsuit. A profitable experience in the end for Mr. Berry.

We hear Beatles influence in The beach boys however the Beatles and many of the Band's influences were American in origin. Chuck Berry was perhaps the most fundamental progenitor of the Beatles' sound. They recorded covers of "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Rock And Roll Music" early on and many other Berry classics were in their live repertoire. Chuck Berry's influence is also heard (in altered form) on later recordings such as "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" (1968) and "Come Together" (1969) (when "Come Together" from Abbey Road was released, the owner of Chuck Berry's copyrights sued John Lennon for copyright infringement of his song "You Can't Catch Me", after which the two reached an amicable settlement, the terms of which included an agreement that Lennon cover some Chuck Berry songs as a solo artist).

Also copied as follows from wiki: In 1973, "Come Together" was the subject of a lawsuit brought against Lennon by Big Seven Music Corp. (owned by Morris Levy) who was the publisher of Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me". Levy contended that it sounded similar musically to Berry's original and shared some lyrics (Lennon sang "Here come ol' flattop, he come groovin' up slowly" and Berry's had sung "Here come a flattop, he was movin' up with me"). Before recording, Lennon and McCartney deliberately slowed the song down and added a heavy bass riff in order to make the song more original.[14] After settling out of court, Lennon promised to record three other songs owned by Levy.[15] A primitive version of "Ya Ya" with Lennon and his son Julian was released on the album Walls and Bridges in 1974. "You Can't Catch Me" and another version of "Ya Ya" were released on Lennon's 1975 album Rock 'n' Roll, but the third, "Angel Baby", remained unreleased until after Lennon's death. Levy again sued Lennon for breach of contract, and was eventually awarded $6,795. Lennon countersued after Levy released an album of Lennon material using tapes that were in his possession and was eventually awarded $84,912.96. The album was called Roots.

Hugs
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:20

Originally posted by Dean. </span><span style=font-size: 11px; line-height: 13.1999998092651px; : rgb248, 248, 252;>15 September 2014 at 19:49</span><span style=line-height: 14.3999996185303px;> Dean. 15 September 2014 at 19:49 wrote:

'Good Vibrations' is unconventional in structure [chorus, verse 1, chorus, interlude, verse 2, chorus, coda]
But that isn't a huge departure from the more conventional [verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge/interlude, chorus, coda], ie (it's still verse-chorus) and is nothing like the complete disregard for verse-chorus structure that Prog is known for. 

Compare GV with She Loves You [chorus, verse 1, bridge, verse 2, bridge, chorus, verse 3, bridge, chorus, coda] ... no one is calling that a Prog trigger.

Now consider TNK from Revolver: [intro, verse 1, verse 2, verse 3, bridge, verse 4, verse 5, verse 6, verse 7, coda] ... isn't that closer to Prog than anything the Beach Boys did?
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">

</span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">
Originally posted by Dean. </span><span style=font-size: 11px; line-height: 13.1999998092651px; : rgb248, 248, 252;>15 September 2014 at 19:49</span><span style=line-height: 14.3999996185303px;> Dean. </span><span style=font-size: 11px; line-height: 13.1999998092651px; : rgb248, 248, 252;>15 September 2014 at 19:49</span><span style=line-height: 14.3999996185303px;> wrote:

</span><span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">'Good Vibrations' is unconventional in structure [chorus, verse 1, chorus, interlude, verse 2, chorus, coda]</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">
</span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">But that <span style="line-height: 1.2;">isn't a huge departure from the more conventional [</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge/interlude, chorus, coda], ie (it's still verse-chorus) and is nothing like the complete disregard for verse-chorus structure that Prog is known for. </span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;">Compare GV with She Loves You [</span>chorus, verse 1, bridge, verse 2, bridge, chorus, verse 3, bridge, chorus, coda] ... no one is calling that a Prog trigger.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;">Now consider TNK from Revolver: [</span>intro, verse 1, verse 2, verse 3, bridge, verse 4, verse 5, verse 6, verse 7, coda] ... isn't that closer to Prog than anything the Beach Boys did?

I have to agree with Dean here, even if he feels like my annoying little brother
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:25
I'll give you twenty minutes to stop feeling me. Wink
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:26
beating a dead horse
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:27

I'll give you twenty minutes to stop feeling me. Wink

hahahahaha!!!!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:31
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

hahahahaha!!!!!
But who is smacking David's ass?
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:37

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

hahahahaha!!!!!

But who is smacking David's ass?

Atavachron is the one smacking that wip, he does look good in leather tho' you must admit

Edited by Kati - September 23 2014 at 02:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:40
LOL ... I think we'd better stop there... LOL
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 02:42