Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould the Beach Boys be considered Proto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 09:36
Even though I 'grew up' with bands like The Beach Boys (being an old fart..) I have never been a big fan. I do like many of their singles but never got into the albums overall though I do own Pet Sounds and a singles compilation.

Proto Prog..? Not in my opinion and all the various reasons have already been given above and elsewhere.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 19:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Feel free to question what is 'written in stone'. But at least be prepared for some level of rebuttal and don't be too shocked or defensive when it arrives (which it most surely will). In my experience those who question how we do things around here often don't actually know how we do things around here, and that's kinda nutty. Assumptions make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'mptions' (or something like that).

Just to clear the air, your original response was not futile and indeed was quite informative, and you have made some good points in the above noted post. I do indeed read past posts but as I've said, they mean me little to me but if you and a small hand full are the ones deciding what's Proto, Prog Related, etc, then my questions certainly are fruitless and that's said without prejudice. It's just the way it is, as they say.
For the record. I am not one of those small handful who decides what is Proto or Prog Related, nor am I on one of the several teams that decide the "etc.". 

However, I was once on an "etc." team and for many years I was on the Admin team (along with Angelo who first responded to this thread). One of the responsibilities of the Admin team is to decided the Proto and Prog Related additions.

If you were not aware, Proto Prog and Prog Related suggestions are treated as a special case here at the PA and fall under the domain of the Admins, it is they alone who decide whether a band should be added or not. Adding a band to either of those two categories is not a simple matter of ticking all the boxes on a crib-sheet or having the popular support of a select few members, a band can have all the right credentials to be added and still be rejected by the Admins. I could explain the reasons for that in great detail but I suspect that would be a waste of my time. 

However, I will explain the suggestion process one more time just in case anyone has missed one of the many other occasions where I have explained it:

1. Anyone can suggest a band for Proto Prog or Prog Related.
2. Only a Special Collaborator can propose an artist to the Admin team for PP or PR evaluation.
(full details here)

What this means is that anyone suggesting a band for either of those categories has to convince an SC to propose the band to the Admin team. Just to make that interesting if the proposal is successful the Admin team will then dump the mechanics of adding the band (such as writing the biography and adding the entire discography) back onto the SC who proposed them. 
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 23:10
Whether or not they should, it's a fine argument because they straddled the fence of pop and art so early and  interestingly.   For or against doesn't really matter, the impact Brian Wilson's vision and production genius will always be there for us to admire.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 15:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well Paul always said that Sgt Pepper was a reaction to Pet Sounds that came out the year before.
I'd say The Beach Boys were very progressive, but rock? Nah....more like progressive pop.
Since I joined the admin team I've also been part of the prog related and proto 'teams', so in the end this lands on my doorstep if any collabs decide to suggest them for proto or related.
My take on it is that we should include them, if we were a progressive pop site, no question about that, but we're not. As for the influence factor, then I guess you'll find a fair few prog acts who felt influenced by them, but then again you'll find just as many claiming Stockhausen, Varese and Shostakovich to have been the main factors of inspiration - all of which were incredibly progressive for their day. Should we start including these as well?

As a retired recording engineer, I can only give a technically based answer of why the Beach Boys should be considered Proto Prog but it is sufficient enough for me to place them in that category. But first I think it is worth noting who (and by who, I'm happy to refer to Brian Wilson for the sake of simplicity) they actually and greatly influenced as opposed to Stockhausen, Varese and Shostakovich as their influences were purely musical and did not directly impact the most influential Rock Music group of the 20th Century. If they did, I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a percentage of influence on the Beatles of more than 5%. But I digress.

I put forward Wilson's work in Pet Sounds in that he took disparate (a new word for me) recording practices that were redundant like Phil Spector's ambient and mechanically enhanced echo laden multi instrumental all in one take 'Wall of Sound' approach and, using many of Spector's studio musicians as well as supplementing them with those more classically trained, he recorded 'snatches' of music in musical suites which he would later edit together, over dub vocals or additional musical instruments and made California's Gold Star studios 'his instrument', which in no way was lost on the Beatles and George Martin prior to their recording of Rubber Soul. The fact that Wilson also used non musical instruments such as partially filled Seltzer bottles for percussion with treated studio harmonics was also not lost on the Beatles either.

If Proto Prog is really supposed to mean the prototypical forerunner and inspiration for the late 60's prog that follows, then I think that Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys meet that criteria.      

Edited by SteveG - September 08 2014 at 15:27
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 18:23
... Rubber Soul was recorded before Pet Sounds, it influenced Pet Sounds.
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 18:56
Help me Rhonda, yeah 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 23:44

(...)

If Proto Prog is really supposed to mean the prototypical forerunner and inspiration for the late 60's prog that follows, then I think that Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys meet that criteria.       

Exactly Clap
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 05:43

He probably meant Revolver.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 06:13
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Chronologically that is all he could have meant, but Pet Sounds was still influenced by Rubber Soul, which was the first Beatles album where they had full creative control in the studio.
What?
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 08:13

You probably meant that he meant Sgt. Pepper 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 08:31
I actually agree with most of what you say Steve, but I don't arrive at the same conclusion. I think The Beach Boys were instrumental in pushing both recording techniques and the general 'sound' of a contemporary pop band forth, but I see no proof of that crystallising in the approach of any early prog band to be perfectly honest. They may have influenced The Beatles a great deal, but then again, The Beatles were never a prog band either.
Anyways, if the closest their influences on prog rock ever got were The Beatles, a band who is listed as proto here on PA, then the link is too vague to support an inclusion. We're talking proto-proto prog if anything. The Beach Boys were a mixture of psychedelic, baroque and elaborate pop in the end. Incredibly progressive but not rock nor part of that scene.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 08:40
^Fair enough David, But the topic is proto prog, not prog.

For those too short sighted too see my error and comment on my post anyway, I've restated it below with the offending error corrected:

"As a retired recording engineer, I can only give a technically based answer of why the Beach Boys should be considered Proto Prog but it is sufficient enough for me to place them in that category. But first I think it is worth noting who (and by who, I'm happy to refer to Brian Wilson for the sake of simplicity) they actually and greatly influenced as opposed to Stockhausen, Varese and Shostakovich as their influences were purely musical and did not directly impact the most influential Rock Music group of the 20th Century. If they did, I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a percentage of influence on the Beatles of more than 5%. But I digress.

I put forward Wilson's work in Pet Sounds in that he took disparate (a new word for me) recording practices that were redundant like Phil Spector's ambient and mechanically enhanced echo laden multi instrumental all in one take 'Wall of Sound' approach and, using many of Spector's studio musicians as well as supplementing them with those more classically trained, he recorded 'snatches' of music in musical suites which he would later edit together, over dub vocals or additional musical instruments and made California's Gold Star studios 'his instrument', which in no way was lost on the Beatles and George Martin prior to their recording of Revolver. The fact that Wilson also used non musical instruments such as partially filled Seltzer bottles for percussion with treated studio harmonics was also not lost on the Beatles either.

If Proto Prog is really supposed to mean the prototypical forerunner and inspiration for the late 60's prog that follows, then I think that Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys meet that criteria."   

Addendum: Rubber Soul inspired the Beach Boys to make an album without throw away tracks, in other words a full album of quality songs. Rubber Soul was still engineered by the old school staid Norman Smith, not wunderkind Geoff Emerick and studio experiments were an album away. That album being Revolver to be exact.  

Edited by SteveG - September 09 2014 at 09:09
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 08:53
These categories are more trouble than they're worth.  That's my opinion.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 09:02
I read you the first time

There is a distinction between progressive music and prog rock. This is why we are not called Progressive Music Archives.
The influences and different avenues that ultimately fuelled prog rock are so far reaching that it is impossible to list all those artists who were forerunners. Jazz for example is quite possibly the biggest influence on prog bands who incorporated improv into the mix - and then I'm not even mentioning the overt heirtaker to the jazz legacy: fusion. Something that many a prog band fiddled about with from KC to Yes. So why don't we have Thelonious Monk, Albert Ayler and Bird up in this mother? They were at the very forefront of improvisation in music and have on many occasions been mentioned as inspiration to prog musicians.
The answer is that we have to draw the line somewhere. The Beach Boys were and have always been considered a pop band - just as Ayler, Bird and Monk were linked to jazz. We can't re-write music history on the back bone of hindsight and a continous effort to blur lines.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 09:19
I'll draw a line/distinction as well, one that doesn't often come up in threads like this:

The question, "Should X be considered Prog? (or proto-prog or....)" has a couple of different dimensions in the context of this site.  The first dimension approaches the question from this angle: "what should be the case in my opinion? what would I do if I were in charge of a site like this?".   This, however, is a different question than what I will call the second dimension of this question, "what should ProgArchives do?"  Not a lot of people really understand what ProgArchives does, and how it does it, so a question that takes this stance usually draws a lot of fire from longstanding collaborators and admins who are tired of continually defending "what ProgArchives does".

I say that when such questions come up, why not shift the focus back to the first question - we're all free to speak our minds, but just because so-and-so would have done things a certain way doesn't mean that view needs to be viewed as a challenge to ProgArchives that needs to be shot down and defended against.  The Beach Boys question has been asked and answered many times, and their exclusion from the site is by no means an "oversight" on anybody's part; it's a considered decision that took a lot of things into account, in accordance with the site's guidelines, decided by people who adhered to those guidelines.  

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean there's nothing left to discuss.  It's still interesting to talk about, and differing opinions aren't necessarily off the mark - if you're talking about creating your own set of guidelines.  But the guidelines here are pretty much set.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

These catagories can not be a trouble per se.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:54
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

You probably meant that he meant Sgt. Pepper 
No I didn't.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:04
Very nice post Holy Steve. Thanks man.

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:07

For those too short sighted too see my error and comment on my post anyway, I've restated it below with the offending error corrected:
I try never to assume anything. If you say Rubber Soul then I am going to take it you mean Rubber Soul and not another Beatles album. If that is short-sighted of me then...
Tongue
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:10
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

These catagories can not be a trouble per se.
The trouble with catagories is spelling.

These categories are more trouble than they are worth.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>