Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould the Beach Boys be considered Proto?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

... Rubber Soul was recorded before Pet Sounds, it influenced Pet Sounds.

He probably meant Revolver.

You probably meant that he meant Sgt. Pepper 
No I didn't.

Revolver was recorded prior to the release of Pet Sounds in the UK. The Beatles may have had an acetate before its release but there's no evidence that Pet Sounds influenced Revolver.  Pepper for sure.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 12:35

No I didn't.

Revolver was recorded prior to the release of Pet Sounds in the UK. The Beatles may have had an acetate before its release but there's no evidence that Pet Sounds influenced Revolver.  Pepper for sure.
The Beatles would have had access to the USA release and/or any pre-release promo, but you are essentially correct, there simply was insufficient time for it to have influenced the Revolver sessions in any significant way.

Edited by Dean - September 09 2014 at 12:37
What?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 12:45
Quick sidebar here, not to derail the topic, but I have a question about Pet Sounds.

Now, I wasn't born until 1969, but as early as the late 70s I was very interested in music and was reading a lot of books about music and bands, whatever I could get my hands on.  I was of course aware of the Beach Boys, and was aware of all their early hits (Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, etc etc), even though I wasn't a fan, but I SWEAR I never even HEARD MENTION of Pet Sounds until it arrived on CD with great fanfare.  It seemed like overnight it had gone from an obscure poor-selling cult album to some major release in the history of Western civilization.  I was like whaaa?  Where did this sh*t come from?   It seemed to me to be a case of instant historical revisionism - some hype after-the-fact that people have since accepted as truth.

My question then is to the people who were there at the time:  in terms of popular culture, how big a deal was Pet Sounds REALLY, at the time?  I'm not saying my point of view has any factual basis at all, beyond what I personally experienced in my early years -- and yet I find it very strange that in my almost fanatical thirst for information about music, somehow I had never even heard of this album until the CD came out.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 12:52

No I didn't.

From a Rolling Stone article:  "McCartney had heard the album before it was released, at a listening party in London in May 1966, and was blown away."
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 12:55
"..and in one feverish night, completely re-did the Revolver album in response...."

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 13:03
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

"..and in one feverish night, completely re-did the Revolver album in response...."

Well the article claimed "Here, There, and Everywhere" (my parents wedding song Tongue) was influenced by it, but I agree that most of Revolver was in the can and it was Sgt. Pepper that was the prime recipient of the influence.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 14:09
And the Rolling Stones' reference to these claims is who?

Paul McCartney? I think not.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 14:15

And the Rolling Stones' reference to these claims is who?

Paul McCartney? I think not.

Jeez, I don't know, I just Googled it.  No one cares enough to research this in-depth or anything.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

"Here, There, and Everywhere" (my parents wedding song Tongue)
Awww Heart
That's nice. Approve

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 15:02

Glad I could stir up this debate. If for nothing else, it may have brought Pet Sounds more into the limelight but Dean, minus his eye glasses, is still correct. Pet Sounds was only released one month prior to Revolver but having realized my error, I didn't want to play 'dirty pool' and conveniently change the already erroneous Rubber Soul to the correct Sgt. Pepper's. It was what it was, blind men be damned. I'm used to the consequences from my opponent from an innocent mistake by now.

For the record, McCartney did state that God Only Knows "was the best song ever written" and it was indeed the inspiration for Here, There And Everywhere.

Pet Sounds influence was more correctly directed at St. Pepper's as Brian Wilson stated his intention for Pet Sounds, while not a concept, was "A teenage symphony to God". An idea that stuck in Sir Paul's head.

While there is no direct musical influence of Pet Sounds on Sgt. Pepper's, McCartney was fixated with Wilson's bass guitar arrangements, particularly in having the studio player starting off a song in a key of G when the song itself was in C and other variants that led to Paul's developing a lead bass style.
(see The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions By Mark Lewisohn Published 1988. PM interview)

Most of the time things are researched. Occasionally errors are made that are sadly compounded by the blind, deaf and you know what.

Edited by SteveG - September 09 2014 at 19:01
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 18:29
"The Beach Boys brought expansions in harmony, instrumentation (and therefore timbre), duration, rhythm, and the use of recording technology. Of these elements, the first and last were the most important in clearing a pathway toward the development of progressive rock"

Bill Martin, Listening to the Future: The Time of Progressive Rock, 1968-1978 (Dec.1998)  

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 18:44
As a blues rock purist, it's always hard to escape the fact that errors, innocent as they are, are still 'nobodies fault but mine'. It's the fact that the rest of the arguement gets thrown out of the pram that ticks me off, so I'll post my position again with the Sgt. Pepper's comparison:

"As a retired recording engineer, I can only give a technically based answer of why the Beach Boys should be considered Proto Prog but it is sufficient enough for me to place them in that category. But first I think it is worth noting who (and by who, I'm happy to refer to Brian Wilson for the sake of simplicity) they actually and greatly influenced as opposed to Stockhausen, Varese and Shostakovich as their influences were purely musical and did not directly impact the most influential Rock Music group of the 20th Century. If they did, I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a percentage of influence on the Beatles of more than 5%. But I digress.

I put forward Wilson's work in Pet Sounds in that he took disparate recording practices that were redundant like Phil Spector's ambient and mechanically enhanced echo laden multi instrumental all in one live take 'Wall of Sound' approach and, using many of Spector's studio musicians as well as supplementing them with those more classically trained, he recorded 'snatches' of music in musical suites which he would later edit together, over dub vocals or additional musical instruments and made California's Gold Star studios 'his instrument', which in no way was lost on the Beatles and George Martin prior to their recording of Sgt. Pepper's. The fact that Wilson also used non musical instruments such as partially filled Seltzer bottles for percussion with treated studio harmonics was also not lost on the Beatles either.

If Proto Prog is really supposed to mean the prototypical forerunner and inspiration for the late 60's prog that follows, then I think that Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys meet that criteria."

It may do little at this point, but it least it sets my intention straight and hopefully  people can no longer be concerned with what album influenced what other album and when and return focus back to Pet Sounds and it's technical influence on the Beatles starting with the song Here, There and Everywhere through to Sgt. Pepper's.

Edited by SteveG - September 09 2014 at 19:12
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 19:12
I agree.  In a perfect world, I would be more inclusive and bands like Beach Boys would probably be a no-brainer.  But as I said on the prior page, that doesn't mean I'm in favor of adding them to this site.  Because it's not a perfect world here.  Being more inclusive would require a lot more work and we're stretched really thin here as it is.  I haven't seen my own family in weeks.

(joke)

Also, I wouldn't get too upset over the tiny error in your earlier post and everyone's alleged harping on it.  I saw it as a tangential conversation that I don't think was trying to topple your whole argument, it was just something else to talk about, those little dorky details that music nuts like us like to go on about.  Your argument is sound - it's just that the implementation of it would not be practical.  That's my own opinion and not necessarily the site's position, but there it is.  

In the interest of full disclosure, I know the Beach Boys have a ton of admirers, but I personally am not one of them.  But enough people acknowledge their importance that I can respect that.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 19:17
^Wise words well received Steve.

And the funny thing is, is that I don't even like the Beach Boys!

Edited by SteveG - September 09 2014 at 19:22
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Wise words well received Steve.

And the funny thing is, is that I don't even like the Beach Boys!
HAY WATE BRYAN WILLSON WAS A GENYES OK
LETS SEE U TRY TO MAKE A TEENAGE SYMPHONIE TO GOD IN 1966

I don't either, really. LOL

-Kehlog Albran
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 22:19
^ Doesn't matter, at least many here have the integrity to see past musical taste.   When I first got here in '06, the very thought of even considering the Boys was blasphemous. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 23:56
A factual error does not throw an entire argument out of the window, the error was obviously a mistake but it would have been wrong to have assumed which album SteveG was referring to. To assume is to make an ass of u and me.

I'd like to remind SteveG of a post from June of this year:
Originally posted by someone someone wrote:

Dean's take on the Pet  Sounds/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper's back and forth influences are absolutely text book. The only thing I would disagree with is the friendly rivally between the Beatles and Brian Wilson. While absolutely friendly in basis, could you imagine the effects of the pressure on someone with Brian Wilson's pysche? Brian may not have seen the rivally as friendly in his mind and that could have been a key issue in the way this all played out. And surprisingly, none of the music itself was actually influenced, just the ideas for concepts  for albums.

Peace out
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 08:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If Proto Prog is really supposed to mean the prototypical forerunner and inspiration for the late 60's prog that follows, then I think that Pet Sounds and the Beach Boys meet that criteria."

It may do little at this point, but it least it sets my intention straight and hopefully  people can no longer be concerned with what album influenced what other album and when and return focus back to Pet Sounds and it's technical influence on the Beatles starting with the song Here, There and Everywhere through to Sgt. Pepper's.

I'll echo Guldbamsen - no one is arguing the influence on The Beatles, but The Beatles were not a prog rock band. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 09:24

A factual error does not throw an entire argument out of the window,the error was obviously a mistake but it would have been wrong to have assumed which album SteveG was referring to. To assume is to make an ass of u and me.
I'd like to remind SteveG of a post from June of this year:
Originally posted by someone someone wrote:

<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;">Dean's take on the Pet  Sounds/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper's back and forth influences are absolutely text book. The only thing I would disagree with is the friendly rivally between the Beatles and Brian Wilson. While absolutely friendly in basis, could you imagine the effects of the pressure on someone with Brian Wilson's pysche? Brian may not have seen the rivally as friendly in his mind and that could have been a key issue in the way this all played out. And surprisingly, none of the music itself was actually influenced, just the ideas for concepts  for albums.
</span>
<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;"></span>
<span style=": rgba255, 255, 255, 0;">Peace out</span>

It may not throw an entire arguement out of the window, but it does give good fodder for you're not considering the arguement and making one liners like 'Rubber Soul was released before Pet Sounds" which, while true, would make the arguement about the  technical achievements of Pet Sounds superfluous to you and therefore, as usual, dodge the issue and retreat back into the comfort of past archival posts and long standing practices. The proof is simply your lack of comment of the technical arguement in the post. But I'll state again that ultimately the fault is mine to begin with, not yours. I don't want to continue to split hairs over this as I have now clarified my position using Sgt. Pepper's to correctly bolster my technical argument. But with still no reaction forthcoming so I'll use a musical/historical one to put my point across. This extract is from the definitive biography of the Beatles titled Shout by Philip Norman first published in 1981. It is his description of the Beatles coping with competition from two Beatles post Revolver albums

"After Revolver, every ceative mind in pop was awakening tot he possibilities of an album that was not just a compendedium of past hits but a self-contained on a definate theme, it's tracks working interdependently like movements in a ical concerto. The two post Revolver productions from across the Atlantic that had taken the Beatles ideas several notches further on were largely responsible for driving them back into the studio. One was the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, an almost Mozartian montage of mulidubbed harmonies and counterpoint, recorded almost single-handedly by Brian Wilson while the rest of the band were out on tour.The second even sharper goad was Freak-Out by the new California group called the Mothers Of Invention: one of the first ever "double Albums", pungent with inconoclatic wit of their leader Frank Zappa, and embellished with quasi-comical sound efects and scraps of conversation. The beatles had originally meant their anwser to Pet Sounds and Freak-Out to be an album in the most literal sense, each track a snap shot of Livepool as they remembered it from childhood."

Now how is possible that of the two albums most (and by all accounts solely) responsible for the Beatles to competatively respond to in order to produce Sgt. Peppers, one is considered a full blown Avant/ Progressive Rock work while the other does not merit a nod in PA's  Proto Prog catagory with it's "almost Mozartian montage of multidubbed harmonies and counterpoint?

Mr. Gorbechov,.. tear..down..this..wall!

Edited by SteveG - September 10 2014 at 16:04
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 12:52
Perfect Beings, #5 on this year's album chart, obvious  they have been listening to some Beachboys' music. You can hear it all over their album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>