Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPsychedelia: Did Prog enhance it or escape it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 09:37
Some of the earliest attempts at Electronic music ..which..I would most certainly have to include John Cage and George Crumb, Paulina Oliveros..were a major influence over Mort Garson, Beaver & Krause, Ruth White and this fresh idea of experimentation with electronic made it's way into the Psychedelic Music scene. Especially during the time when Beaver & Krause ...who had consulted with Bob Moog, were setting up the Moog at Psychedelic Rock festivals. Internationally known Psychedelic bands were overwhelmed by the power of the Moog and proceeded to introduce it's sound in Psychedelic Rock. By the time the term "Art Rock" was nation wide, bands were playing Classical lines JUST as Wendy Carlos had accomplished on "Switched On Bach" years before. When the term Progressive Rock became a household reference, bands were composing epics and adding in the Moog. The idea originally was to be as Avant-Garde as possible. Electronics with string quartet ..which was present in the Avant-Garde 20th century composer's composition. The mentality of being that kind of composer, entered into Psychedelic Music and was simply an experimentation to change Rock music and so the artists used snippets and very short sections intertwined between lyrics..until Syd Barrett wrote "Interstellar Overdrive" lol! 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 09:43
^This is a good point Todd regarding  Bob Moog and his desire to invent the synth. Wasn't he trying purposefully to invent a "psychedelic sound machine" ?

Edited by SteveG - September 22 2014 at 09:44
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 09:49
^ I doubt it.
What?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^This is a good point Todd regarding  Bob Moog and his desire to invent the synth. Wasn't he trying purposefully to invent a "psychedelic sound machine" ?

Lol! No I don't seriously think so. The Psychedelic music scene in California ...about 66' and 67' was based around (to a degree) , experimenting with the Moog, but prior to that time period when 20th century composers were playing around with electronic sounds...there was a bit of a Julliard attitude regarding the approach. Not exactly a loose life environment that was evident in the hippie culture. That reflected upon the way sometimes Psychedelic Rock musicians played sloppy on their instruments. I'm not sure of Bob Moog's reaction to all of this. I know he was amazed by the usage of the Moog on "Lucky Man" Are you saying that he saw dollar signs? Like Larry Maggot did after witnessing Woodstock being a financial failure and thought..."Let's try this one more time, but with a different approach" which was to place most Rock bands in front of huge audiences. The start of the stadium Rock scene was a vision he had. Do you recall when this happened? The Fillmore's closed ? Lol!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:29
^Was the Moog designed for music reproduction then?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:38
^LOL now?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:40
The coating of sound effects in Progressive Rock was to enhance the personality of a theme. An epic for example...that would make musical transitions that were being spliced into sections. Quite like Close To The Edge. The recordings of seagulls and the roaring ocean built as a foundation to present the music theatrically. It was concept followed with even some of the more mainstream Rock bands in the early 70's. Progressive Rock took on a more gymnastic mentality in the playing department. Not exactly a jam session from the Dead. Progressive Rock musicians in the early 70's avoided jamming and kept it down to 5 minutes or even sometimes less. This does not include the band MAN who were influenced by the west coast 60's sound and a pocket of others. Most Progressive Rock musicians stuck to composition. Like King Crimson, most Prog bands in the early 70's adapted a short jam as a section of the piece to enhance traveling to and from..the lyrics/story which often revolved around a nightmarish tale of the dark. It was often utilized in a theme to present the style of theatre or actually better yet..theatre writing . Often the time signatures used to jam over in Prog were so difficult to follow and additionally proceeded in quick breaks instead of the same chords repeating over and over. Progressive Rock was about a hundred million light years away from Psychedelic Rock regarding that. No doubt...that was the difference  between the two.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:44
^Sorry Todd,  but I view the coda of Lucky Man as psychedelic effect and, great as it is, nothing else as it's bombast does not match the tone of the song.

Edited by SteveG - September 22 2014 at 10:52
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:53

I get the impression that Bob Moog was more into entertaining himself when he created it, but the fact that it did end up as a tool for music reproduction was a perfectly natural thing to happen. I'm not sure if he purposely designed it with those intentions coming to mind. I haven't read enough about him in recent years and can't recall many details of his innovation short of his obvious good points.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 11:11
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I get the impression that Bob Moog was more into entertaining himself when he created it, but the fact that it did end up as a tool for music reproduction was a perfectly natural thing to happen. I'm not sure if he purposely designed it with those intentions coming to mind. I haven't read enough about him in recent years and can't recall many details of his innovation short of his obvious good points.
I disagree. Bob Moog was making and selling theremins in the 50s and early 60s, he treated this as a serious enterprise. The problem with theremins is they are as difficult to learn and play as a violin, by adding an organ/piano style keyboard he could make an electronic instrument that was easy to learn and instantly playable. Interestingly Moog was never interested in electric organs or pianos, he was interested in electronic music.

To add a keyboard to a theremin he created the concept of voltage control as a means of converting a note-press into a fixed voltage that represented the note to be played. Having perfected a means of producing a single electrical signal from a keyboard he expanded the idea to every module in the unit and thus the Moog Synth was invented. This alone leads me to suspect that he always viewed the theremin and the synthesiser as valid musical instruments for producing and reproducing music. Simply put: you don't spend hours developing a way of putting an organ/piano keyboard on a Sci-Fi or Psychedelic effects box, and you don't then work in collaborative partnership with someone to produce an album of Bach music. If Switched On Bach isn't a clear indication that Bob Moog fully intended the Moog Synth to be a playable musical instrument then what is?

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 11:24
...and the Synth was never really a psychedelic instrument.
What?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I disagree. Bob Moog was making and selling theremins in the 50s and early 60s, he treated this as a serious enterprise. The problem with theremins is they are as difficult to learn and play as a violin, by adding an organ/piano style keyboard he could make an electronic instrument that was easy to learn and instantly playable. Interestingly Moog was never interested in electric organs or pianos, he was interested in electronic music.

To add a keyboard to a theremin he created the concept of voltage control as a means of converting a note-press into a fixed voltage that represented the note to be played. Having perfected a means of producing a single electrical signal from a keyboard he expanded the idea to every module in the unit and thus the Moog Synth was invented. This alone leads me to suspect that he always viewed the theremin and the synthesiser as valid musical instruments for producing and reproducing music. Simply put: you don't spend hours developing a way of putting an organ/piano keyboard on a Sci-Fi or Psychedelic effects box, and you don't then work in collaborative partnership with someone to produce an album of Bach music. If Switched On Bach isn't a clear indication that Bob Moog fully intended the Moog Synth to be a playable musical instrument then what is?

I tend to agree and believe you based on the fact that I don't know all of his history.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 11:38

But the moog was used on Beaver & Krause's In A Wild Sanctuary in 1970 to incorporate it into various themes sounding Psychedelic. I also was under the assumption that the moog was used by The Rolling Stones in 67'. And what about it's usage on "Save the Life of My Child" by Simon & Garfunkel on the Bookends album in 68'. I believe Paul Beaver had everything to do with this happening. It was used in Psychedelic Music when artists first began to experiment with it. I thought it really added to Psychedelic music. Bookends and a host of albums were influenced by Sgt. Pepper regarding structure and ideas to use studio effects. Not moog though and I don't even recall if there was moog on Sgt. Pepper. But nevertheless, bands were using the SGT. Pepper concept to produce something with a moog. I agree that it seems un-natural for it to be used in Psychedelic Rock, but it truly added dimension to it.

Edited by TODDLER - September 22 2014 at 11:41
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 12:38

But the moog was used on Beaver & Krause's In A Wild Sanctuary in 1970 to incorporate it into various themes sounding Psychedelic. I also was under the assumption that the moog was used by The Rolling Stones in 67'. And what about it's usage on "Save the Life of My Child" by Simon & Garfunkel on the Bookends album in 68'. I believe Paul Beaver had everything to do with this happening. It was used in Psychedelic Music when artists first began to experiment with it. I thought it really added to Psychedelic music. Bookends and a host of albums were influenced by Sgt. Pepper regarding structure and ideas to use studio effects. Not moog though and I don't even recall if there was moog on Sgt. Pepper. But nevertheless, bands were using the SGT. Pepper concept to produce something with a moog. I agree that it seems un-natural for it to be used in Psychedelic Rock, but it truly added dimension to it.
Absolutely. Beaver & Krause had everything to do with this happening and it is their playing and their Moog you can hear on all those records. Following the "début" of the Moog at the 1967 Monterey Festival by Beaver & Krause the duo (and their synth) were in great demand to add this modern other-worldly instrument to other peoples recordings. But that is such a reactively relatively [damn auto-correct] small sample of the whole of psychedelic pop & rock I can't see it as being indicative of the Moog being a psychedelic instrument, unlike the Hammond or the phased fuzz guitar.

Edited by Dean - September 22 2014 at 12:39
What?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 12:47

Absolutely. Beaver & Krause had everything to do with this happening and it is their playing and their Moog you can hear on all those records. Following the "début" of the Moog at the 1967 Monterey Festival by Beaver & Krause the duo (and their synth) were in great demand to add this modern other-worldly instrument to other peoples recordings. But that is such a reactively relatively [damn auto-correct] small sample of the whole of psychedelic pop & rock I can't see it as being indicative of the Moog being a psychedelic instrument, unlike the Hammond or the phased fuzz guitar.

Very good point! I didn't think of it in that way, but I can surely understand your view. Interesting.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 12:49

^Sorry Todd,  but I view the coda of Lucky Man as psychedelic effect and, great as it is, nothing else as it's bombast does not match the tone of the song.
It was never meant to. Wink
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 13:26
^The more think about, the more that makes sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234