Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedROSfest 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 16:06
Well it was my first ROSfest and as expected my experience was 'mixed'. Smile

Typically these types of bands are not really my thing but there were a couple I thought I would enjoy and I knew a lot of friends would be there so I decided to have an open mind and make sure I enjoyed myself.

On the plus side, the venue is great, comfortable, good sound and about the right size. While Gettysburg surely has a lot of history it did seem a bit too touristy for my tastes. I found a couple of good pubs for food and drink (The Pub and Garryowen) though they seemed to be pretty busy most of the time. The festival was very well organized, the bands generally sounded good (except for some muddy sound with the first band), lighting was good, it ran on time. Well done everyone.

On the social side it was great to see so many friends and have enough time between bands to chat about something and nothing. I also got to meet a few people I know online in person for the first time. The after parties were great with even more time for drinking and chatting. The social side was really the highlight of the festival for me.

I'm not going to rate the bands as I knew going in there were going to be several that really aren't my thing and it wouldn't be fair to them. They were all mostly technically very strong, engaged and friendly with the audience, looked like they were having a good time and brought energy to their sets. George seems to know what he is doing with the line up as there were many many standing ovations and most bands seemed to be received as good to excellent. I found something to enjoy in most of the bands.

Personally only two bands really stood out to me based on my tastes, I've known Sonus Umbra for a while and they were the only band I own an album by, they were very strong with excellent interplay between the members, interesting dynamics in the music and a lot of fun. Haken were noteworthy purely for how different they were from everyone else. Pretty straight forward Prog Metal with a showman vocalist, I'll certainly check out there albums to see if it sticks beyond a fun live set.

Of the other bands I enjoyed Spocks Beard more than I expected, they were very tight, were having fun and had some good tunes. Clearly a well oiled machine. They probably benefit from being one of the early bands up. I enjoyed the first couple of tracks Lo-Fi Resistance did without the full band which were interesting. For the rest of the set they were fairly generic unless they cranked up the heaviness when they sounded great. Strattman had some spacey post rock feel I liked. Of the rest I found something to like in all of them.

My biggest issue was the similarity of a lot of the bands that played, it clearly wasn't an issue for the audience as they loved it. By mid Sunday I was burned out on the neo prog set up with all the bands starting to sound the same. They pretty much all had two guitarists, synth's featured heavily and harmonized vocals. All the bands seemed to specialize in over emoted vocals, lots of solo's and highly structured songs. By the end I was crying out for someone to have some other instrument, I know a bassoon or cello are probably out of the question but would a saxophone or violin be too difficult?

Overall a great weekend I really enjoyed with lots of friends and some good music and some stuff to explore more.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 16:18
^ you survived! LOLClap

My favorite part of the one time we went were the pubs...  and I had the time to read more than half of a 1000 page dirge about the siege of Leningrad.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 15:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hmmm, did I manage to bump into you during the weekend? I met and greeted so many people that my memory about which ones is a tad blurry at this point.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 17:17
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hmmm, did I manage to bump into you during the weekend? I met and greeted so many people that my memory about which ones is a tad blurry at this point.

I think we chatted very briefly, I was the guy wearing Avant shirts all weekend, it was RIO 13 on Friday, Univers Zero on Saturday and Alec K Redfearn & the Eyesores on Sunday.
Ian

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 18:05
Yea I couldn't bring myself to go because I prefer music to be much weirder than what was being offered. I still haven't been to a music festival. Haha
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 18:22
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Yea I couldn't bring myself to go because I prefer music to be much weirder than what was being offered. I still haven't been to a music festival. Haha

You should come to RIO, this year they have Present, Art Zoyd, Happy Family, Secret Chiefs 3, Alec K Redfearn and the Eyesores
Ian

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 18:35
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

ProgDay generally has its fair share of "weird" music, and I think you'd enjoy it a lot. Why not think about it?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 19:35
CORIMA!!! LOL

smokin'... beats that pansy neo-sh*t anyday of the week.. and especially on Sunday...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 20:40
There was a guy in a Corima shirt at ROSfest, I was impressed
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123