FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYvonnne Elliman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yvonnne Elliman
    Posted: September 08 2014 at 06:20
So I was at home when this song came on the radio. 

It's one of those songs that I've always liked but never knew who it was by.

Did a bit of research later on to found it was a cover of a Barry Gibb song by someone called Yvonne Elliman, who I must admit i'd never heard of!

I then went on to see she'd done stuff with Clapton in the 70's. I stumbled upon this version of Steve Winwood's classic, 'Can't Find My Way Home'.

Clap

What a performance! I was suprised I hadn't heard anything about her before, there's plenty of videos on youtube. 

So any Yvonne Elliman fans around? I'd like to find out if she was a household name back in the 70's? 

Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 06:48
Not a fan in terms of having lots of her records but I've always liked her voice, very warm and soulful. She came over to England in the late 60s and played Mary Magdalene on the (quite proggy) Jesus Christ Superstar LP. She also sings very well on Jon Lord's Gemini Suite album which I do have.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 07:29
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Not a fan in terms of having lots of her records but I've always liked her voice, very warm and soulful. She came over to England in the late 60s and played Mary Magdalene on the (quite proggy) Jesus Christ Superstar LP. She also sings very well on Jon Lord's Gemini Suite album which I do have.

Definately going to check that Jon Lord album out, thanks for the heads up!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 10:53
Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Definately going to check that Jon Lord album out, thanks for the heads up!

I wouldn't say it's a great album, but if you have a tolerance for early 70s attempts at mixing rock and classical (I do!) it is interesting and has some very talented people on it. Some typically rousing Jon Lord organ work, Roger Glover on bass, and of course Yvonne Elliman on vocals.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 18:24
Oh how fun, thanks for the great memories.  This song was a staple of the radio when I was about 12 years old, and I really loved it.  We didn't care what was labelled "disco" or not, it was just pop music to us. 

Guess what?  The Bee Gees did the same exact thing with another hit song around the same time.  They gave it to a different woman who made it a big radio hit.  You probably haven't heard this one in years but you will remember this sultry voice and a really good chorus with the Bee Gees.

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 06:30
She wasn't exactly a household name, but some of her songs were very popular.  "If I Can't Have You" made it to #1, and "Love Me" and "Hello Stranger" (the old Barbara Lewis song) were also big hits.

Also one of relatively few Hawaiians to make it big in the industry.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 07:01
yeah the only reason I know her is because she sang on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 08:51
I knew her for performing Mary in Jesus Christ Superstar, where she sings very well and her acting in the movie was alright too.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 13:07
She was a jack-of-all-trades vocally in the 70s.....she sang in musicals, background on some classic LPs and had her own solo career (the album Rising Sun, produced and polished by Steve Cropper, is a particular highlight).  She was aslo easy to look at, which helps a lot in the music field.  Just saw that she was still alive - strange, I could've sworn she passed away years ago.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply